Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,269 members, 7,807,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

Unemployed Graduate Asked Me What A Resume Is: The Result Of A Failed System - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unemployed Graduate Asked Me What A Resume Is: The Result Of A Failed System (401 Views)

Mmesoma Ejikeme: Anambra Inquiry Says The Candidate Altered The Result Herself / Unemployed Graduate Takes To Streets To Beg For Job (Photos) / Nigerian Universities Compared With Football Clubs, The Result Is Amazing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Unemployed Graduate Asked Me What A Resume Is: The Result Of A Failed System by davereal(m): 12:15am On Nov 26, 2017
WE HAVE COMPROMISED STANDARD A LOT IN THIS COUNTRY

There is a national outcry that our educational system is bad if not worst. Though sometimes over exaggerated. But my experiences with some Nigerian graduates from NYSC days to this moment have proven this depressive assertion to be true.
But before I share a single experience, let me state it categorically that I'm not perfect (nobody is after all) but I can defend my self within the context of what I am about to share.
So I met this graduate who just finished service and is on the job hunt. She was asked by a prospective employer to send her RESUME through e-mail. It was like a dream when she asked me "David please what is a RESUME?" and I was speechless for some seconds because I couldn't believe that she doesn't know what a RESUME is. But her persistency and sincerity revealed that this is a typical Nigerian graduate who passed through the four walls of a university without knowing what a RESUME is.
So I explained to her as though I was in one of those high schools I used to sensitise during youth service. I have countless unimaginable experiences like this which have made me come to the conclusion that:

WE HAVE COMPROMISED STANDARD A LOT IN THIS COUNTRY.

You may not agree with me, but school is not meant for everyone. We have different abilities and different ways of expression. But the primordial system of "you must go to university and obtain a certificate to better your chances of success" is nothing but a flitting illusion in this 21st century. We have enough examples of successful people who have not seen the four walls of any higher institution but have added and still adding value to humanity. Some are born to be teachers, doctors, pastors, while others are born to be farmers, business tycoons, artists, etc. So if you are not called to be a professor, you will only be a mediocre in the comity of intellectuals. So also you will be killing human beings if you paid your way through medical school (they plenty for area).

My Appeal:

To Parents/Guardians: please do not force your child/ward to university when he/she is displaying an uncommon love and talent for football, music, dancing etc.

To the Government: please fund our educational system to be more practical than theoretical. We have the highest number of "certificate" educated Nigerians in the USA and UK but our roads, power, agricultural, and biological projects are still carried out by "uneducated" but skilled Chinese and Indian companies. Shame on us! Time to move to a more skill based curricula than unnecessary emphasis on certificate based system.

Enough is enough!

WE HAVE COMPROMISED STANDARD A LOT IN THIS COUNTRY.

Cc: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Unemployed Graduate Asked Me What A Resume Is: The Result Of A Failed System by davereal(m): 12:23am On Nov 26, 2017
I don't wanna blame the system totally because the student is responsible for his/her ignorance in this internet age. Nobody will teach you about RESUME in a typical public school in Nigeria. It is left for you to learn outside the classroom what constitute real life scenarios. This is one of the benefits of Private Universities: you get full package for your money. Sometimes they even teach you how to eat, sit, laugh, and hold conversation in public.

So much to learn in this life!

May God help us all!

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

UNILAG Postpones Registration Exercise For Newly Admitted Candidates,2017/2018 / 2017 Affordable Admission Into University In Philippines Asia / I'm Seriously Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.