Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,812 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong (3677 Views)

Is Today's Christian Worship Service Biblical? Let's Trace Its Origin / Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing / Church Members Walk Out On Pastor Adefarasin Over Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by plainbibletruth: 7:39am On Nov 30, 2017
TITHING: How Today's Christian Got it Wrong

1. There is NO WHERE in the Acts of the Apostles or the epistles that tithing is prescribed for the Christian.

2. Incidentally the CHURCH in Acts of the Apostle had a situation where some felt that Christians had to continue to follow all that is in the Mosaic Law. (Acts 15)

3. At the end of the day the Holy Spirit guided them to the conclusion that Christians are not to follow the Law.

4. Christians who INSIST on tithing or threaten others on tithing or even advocate monetary blessings for tithers ALL GO BACK TO THE OLD COVENANT to justify their positions.

5. Whilst they claim to be under the New Covenant it still seem more comfortable for them to run back to the old to determine how to live their NEW LIFE IN CHRIST.

6. TWO general positions by tithe advocates are: (1) Tithing based on the Law of Moses and (2) Tithing based on recording of tithing practice before the Law e.g. Abraham's incident with Melchizedek.

7. Interestingly the prescription for tithing under the Mosaic Law is very clear. It was ONLY AGRICULTURAL PRODUCE that were to be tithed.

8. When any pastor or person resort to the book of Malachi (particularly chapter 3) to justify tithing what such people fail to point out is that the TITHES refered to there is the ones prescribed by the Mosaic Law. So, such a person needs to show how and what EXACTLY the Mosaic Law prescribed as tithes. Malachi chapter 4 verse 4 clearly ask the same audience of book to remember the law of Moses.

9. For those who use Abraham's encounter with Melchizedek to justify tithing they need to see that that incident only showed what happened. There was no instructions to pay tithe as a result of what Abraham did. Abraham did many other things, including telling lies, but no one (I hope) will use those incidents as a RULE for Christian living today.

10. Besides, Abraham was neither compelled not cajoled to give. Secondly he gave out of SPOILS OF WAR not from his business. Honesty demands that this incident is really not a best example to give but since pro-tithers look for anywhere and anything that SUGGESTS tithing they run to it.

11. Other tithe advocates pick on the statement of Jesus in Mathew 23:23 - "“Woe to you, [self-righteous] scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you give a tenth (tithe) of your mint and dill and cumin [focusing on minor matters], and have neglected the weightier [more important moral and spiritual] provisions of the Law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the [primary] things you ought to have done without neglecting the others."
MATTHEW 23:23 AMP

12. What Jesus was saying that the Pharisees tithed were ALL plant items, not money.

13. Tithes advocates looking at this verse CONVENIENTLY ignore the FACT that Jesus said there were other things that were WEIGHTIER.

14. They pick on the tithe aspect and BLOW it out of context and over and above everything else that Jesus was trying to point out.

15. No SINGLE Biblical instruction exists for tithes to be changed from AGRIC produce to money.

16. When the Bible said:
"For Christ is the end of the law [it leads to Him and its purpose is fulfilled in Him], for [granting] righteousness to everyone who believes [in Him as Savior]."
ROMANS 10:4 AMP
It meant EVERYTHING culminates in Christ.

17. How today's Christian is to give is clearly stated in scriptures:
"Let each one give [thoughtfully and with purpose] just as he has decided in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver [and delights in the one whose heart is in his gift]. 2 CORINTHIANS 9:7

18. When Christians are emotionally pressured to give, that amounts to human good and legalism contrary to the life of GRACE that is the plan of God for the Christian.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by hisgrace090: 8:02am On Nov 30, 2017
Mind you, that this post of yours is not friendly with many people.

WeatherTruth or false.
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by MuttleyLaff: 8:03am On Nov 30, 2017
1) There is obligatory tithe imposed by the Mosaic law (i.e. the Levitical tithe also known as the Mosaic Law tithe)
2) There is obligatory tithe imposed by the christian gatherings law
(i.e. ecclesiastical tithe, where christian gatherings, taxes its members tenth, 1/10, 10% and possibly 0.1 too, of their financial income)
3) There is obligatory tithe imposed by custom law (i.e. Abraham's tithing was done, due to the social setting of that time)
4) There is obligatory tithe imposed by monarchy law (i.e. tenth of seed and of vineyards, given to the king's officials and servants)

Now, there is another, which is voluntary tithe,
The nuance in this sort of tithe or tithing, is that it isn't imposed by the Mosaic law, not by christian gatherings law or by any custom law
It so happens or occurs, when FREELY, one DECIDES to GIVE, a tenth of one's financial standing,
as a form of contribution or donation toward's Kingdom purposes, aid or means

In fact, it's tithing subtle difference, is that it is NOT obligatory or imposed

Bible writers and God use the terms, tenth and tithe interchangeably
So if I voluntarily give 10%, a tenth or 10 out 100 of my money contribution or donation toward's Kingdom purposes, aid or means,
I technically have given a tithe,
Considering that it is not a taxed, obligatory or imposition tithe, then I am free, to go ahead giving it

All tithes or tithings, are a form of giving
but NOT all giving are a tenth, tithe or tithing
because the giving could more or less than a tenth, tithe or tithing

The Bible's message today, is about a revolutionary way of giving, where believers are instructed or urged as in 2 Corinthians 9:7 above

Giving could be 50% today, as in 50% equals half of your money
Giving could be 10% next month, as in 10% equals a tithe, tenth, or 10 out 100 of your money (i.e. voluntary tithe, voluntarily giving 10%)
Giving could be 100% following month, as in 100%, equals all of your money
Giving could be 0% following month after, as in 0%, equals zero goes out of your money
Could decide to give 1% month following after, as in 1%, equals 1 out 100 of your money
The giving cycle is not fixed, it might repeat or not repeat itself
How much you give, changes according to the ammount or percentage, you willingly decide to give

It is the freedom, to give whatever you're comfortable with cheerfully
This sort of giving regardless of the percentages is desirable but not obligatory
Without stipulating amounts to give, you're are being trusted to know, to do the 3 right things

You must each decide in your heart how much to give.
And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure.
(i.e. you shouldn't be sorry that you gave or feel forced to give)
"For God loves a person who gives cheerfully."

- 2 Corinthians 9:7

It is obligatory, taxed or imposed tithing that Christians cannot tithe

It is imposed tithing, which is dead with the law
and believers are not obligated to perform any form of imposed tithing

Anyone giving imposed tithing is practising a religion, that God our Father doesnt accept as pure and faultless

Correctively, the Bible teaches the "church" the revolutionary way of giving,
where believers are instructed or urged in 2 Corinthians 9:7 above, to do

2 Corinthians 9:7, by the way actually, is a rehashed principle God HAS always endorsed,
as evident in
Exodus 25:2, Exodus 35:29, Deuteronomy 15:10 & 1 Chronicles 29:9

5 Likes

Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Blizzy9ja: 8:14am On Nov 30, 2017
Look, me I don tire for all this una tithe wahala... Na freeze cause all this rubbish

As for me oh I don't pay tithe but I give offerings and it works for me
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Reader1988: 8:20am On Nov 30, 2017
Blizzy9ja:
Look, me I don tire for all this una tithe wahala... Na freeze cause all this rubbish

According to Tijjaniya, Khadiriyya, Shites, Akbardeen, etc, they celebrate Maulud
but Izala, Salaf, etc don't celebrate it. Maulud is the birth of prophet Muhammad
just like Christmas is the birth of Jesus Christ. In the Bible, shepherds went to
present their gift just as Christians do on Christmas day. But why now people not
asking questions about Maulud that 55% of muslims only celebrate.
Besides, Some Muslims thought Old Testament is a Bible on its own and new
testament likewise. All Christians must believe in Bible (66 books), 37 old
testament and 27 new testament, totalled 66 books. Muslims must believe in
Qur'an, Hadith, TARIQH and Fiqh. But Kala Katu and Shites don't believe in some
Hadith, TARIQH AND Fiqh. So people should know Maulud is not celebrated by all
muslims
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Blizzy9ja: 8:27am On Nov 30, 2017
Reader1988:

According to Tijjaniya, Khadiriyya, Shites, Akbardeen, etc, they celebrate Maulud
but Izala, Salaf, etc don't celebrate it. Maulud is the birth of prophet Muhammad
just like Christmas is the birth of Jesus Christ. In the Bible, shepherds went to
present their gift just as Christians do on Christmas day. But why now people not
asking questions about Maulud that 55% of muslims only celebrate.
Besides, Some Muslims thought Old Testament is a Bible on its own and new
testament likewise. All Christians must believe in Bible (66 books), 37 old
testament and 27 new testament, totalled 66 books. Muslims must believe in
Qur'an, Hadith, TARIQH and Fiqh. But Kala Katu and Shites don't believe in some
Hadith, TARIQH AND Fiqh. So people should know Maulud is not celebrated by all
muslims
So what are you saying in essence?

1 Like

Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by MuttleyLaff: 8:54am On Nov 30, 2017
Blizzy9ja:

Freeze is not and has not said anything that hasnt for years been discussed here on the Religion forum
Posters over the years, have talked over thoroughly, this tithe topic,
All in order to reach all, so all reach a good decision and/or better understanding of giving,
of which views or arguments put forward concerning taxed, obligatory or imposition tithe no longer holds water

Offerings are OT old school things
and Jesus Christ has given the ultimate offering saving you from having to give any other
You actually give contribution(s) or donation(s) is what you correctly do
Of course freely giving works for anyone
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by openmine(m): 9:09am On Nov 30, 2017
True
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by plainbibletruth: 6:14pm On Nov 30, 2017
hisgrace090:
Mind you, that this post of yours is not friendly with many people.

WeatherTruth or false.

Like Jesus Christ said, It is the TRUTH that sets free.

But again like he said in John 3:19 - "Men love darkness rather than light"

2 Likes

Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by plainbibletruth: 12:29pm On Dec 02, 2017
The What About So and So Argument

An argument tithers bring up is:
What about so and so; where does the New Testament say we should not do it?

Petra1 is one of the proponents of this position.

The reasoning is that if the NT does not CLEARLY speak against it then why should anyone say it's no longer applicable to the Christian.

For example; where does the New Testament talk about incest.

The answer is actually simple. The EPISTLES will give us clear direction that will enable the Christian KNOW which issues are KEY for his spiritual life under the New Covenant.

The essential elements of God’s law and the issue of sin nature have been there from the beginning. So, it should not be strange for something in a past system to be included in the New. Nevertheless, the prerogative to do so rests ONLY on the Law-giver who is God.

God had his law for Adam. God had his law for Israel. The details must have differed, particularly as regards some REGULATIONS. Some essential things may remain but there were areas of differences. God EXPECTED Adam to STICK to what he PRESCRIBED for him. The same with Israel. If any Israelite, during the age of Israel, decided that he was ignoring the Mosaic Law to go back to what obtained during the previous age he would be walking in DISOBEDIENCE.

God's CONTRACT for today, tenable in the Supreme Court of heaven for today's Christian is THE NEW COVENANT IN CHRIST JESUS. It is NOT the Mosaic Law or anything before it.

Just as a contract that has LAPSED cannot be tendered in Court and stand before a Judge, the Christian cannot tender any good works based on the OLD CONTRACTS and receive God's approval for it.

Where anything that is ESSENTIAL from the old systems is INCLUDED in this new contract, the Christian is OBLIGATED to obey.

Jesus Christ summed the Law in love for God and love for others. This was again EMPHASISED in the epistles. This means then that because it is HIGHLIGHTED in the epistles it is CRITICAL and OBLIGATORY on the Christian.

So, let's say a sin is not SPECIFICALLY mentioned by name in the NT but there is a mention of its CATEGORY then it should be easy to then, by application, know that under the New Covenant such a thing is still applicable.

For example, if a particular sexual sin is not listed in the NT but sexual immorality is CONDEMNED, it should be clear then that the condemnation of sexual immorality applies to such sin.

Biblical documentations:

Romans 13:8-10
8 Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Romans 7: 4
"So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God."

Romans 8: 12
"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it."
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Nobody: 3:53pm On Dec 02, 2017
Just two questions for you. From the book of Matthew 23:23,was it stated categorically that we shouldn't pay tithe?
Did the Bible expressly said we shouldn't pay tithe? Yes or no,back it with the exact scriptures expressly so
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by petra1(m): 4:13pm On Dec 02, 2017
plainbibletruth:
The What About So and So Argument

An argument tithers bring up is:
What about so and so; where does the New Testament say we should not do it?

Petra1 is one of the proponents of this position.

The reasoning is that if the NT does not CLEARLY speak against it then why should anyone say it's no longer applicable to the Christian.

For example; where does the New Testament talk about incest.

I love you for this . At least somebody understands my point . At least admits to .

The answer is actually simple. The EPISTLES will give us clear direction that will enable the Christian KNOW which issues are KEY for his spiritual life under the New Covenant.

Epistles only address issues they had problem with. Epistles was not a new bible . The Bible they had which psul told Timothy to study is the Old Testament .

The essential elements of God’s law and the issue of sin nature have been there from the beginning. So, it should not be strange for something in a past system to be included in the New. Nevertheless, the prerogative to do so rests ONLY on the Law-giver who is God.

Good .

God had his law for Adam. God had his law for Israel. The details must have differed, particularly as regards some REGULATIONS. Some essential things may remain but there were areas of differences. God EXPECTED Adam to STICK to what he PRESCRIBED for him. The same with Israel. If any Israelite, during the age of Israel, decided that he was ignoring the Mosaic Law to go back to what obtained during the previous age he would be walking in DISOBEDIENCE.

Beautiful

God's CONTRACT for today, tenable in the Supreme Court of heaven for today's Christian is THE NEW COVENANT IN CHRIST JESUS. It is NOT the Mosaic Law or anything before it.

Just as a contract that has LAPSED cannot be tendered in Court and stand before a Judge, the Christian cannot tender any good works based on the OLD CONTRACTS and receive God's approval for it.

Where anything that is ESSENTIAL from the old systems is INCLUDED in this new contract, the Christian is OBLIGATED to obey.

I agree with you still but we are looking at principles which cut across . For example we had had different constitutions but murder will always be a crime universally .

Jesus Christ summed the Law in love for God and love for others. This was again EMPHASISED in the epistles. This means then that because it is HIGHLIGHTED in the epistles it is CRITICAL and OBLIGATORY on the Christian.

So, let's say a sin is not SPECIFICALLY mentioned by name in the NT but there is a mention of its CATEGORY then it should be easy to then, by application, know that under the New Covenant such a thing is still applicable.

For example, if a particular sexual sin is not listed in the NT but sexual immorality is CONDEMNED, it should be clear then that the condemnation of sexual immorality applies to such sin.

The same way if tithe not not mentioned Specifically yet the principle is revealed .

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Elhven so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

Biblical documentations:

Romans 13:8-10
8 Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Romans 7: 4
"So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God."

Romans 8: 12
"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it."

If you say the new law is love . Firstly Jesus taught it under the law just as he said it tithe under the law. Secondly he said love God . Which includes giving to him .

Mark 12:17
And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by BERNIMOORE: 4:38pm On Dec 02, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Freeze is not and has not said anything that hasnt for years been discussed here on the Religion forum
Posters over the years, have talked over thoroughly, this tithe topic,
All in order to reach all, so all reach a good decision and/or better understanding of giving,
of which views or arguments put forward concerning taxed, obligatory or imposition tithe no longer holds water

Offerings are OT old school things
and Jesus Christ has given the ultimate offering saving you from having to give any other
You actually give contribution(s) or donation(s) is what you correctly do
Of course freely giving works for anyone
infact i want to believe that these Tithe Advocate pastors read the battle for and against it on Nairaland where the battle against imposed tithe was won over and over in many threads. hence no pastor tried to cite a bible verse because he knows what await him that he will not be able to finish the documented responses that will follow it, so they chose the blackmail and emotion aspect that does not adress the issue in anywaywhatsoever

1 Like

Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by solid3(m): 5:07pm On Dec 02, 2017
Hmmmmm. Let the sheeple be free.
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by plainbibletruth: 7:10am On Dec 03, 2017
asuustrike2009:
Just two questions for you. From the book of Matthew 23:23,was it stated categorically that we shouldn't pay tithe?
Did the Bible expressly said we shouldn't pay tithe? Yes or no,back it with the exact scriptures expressly so

1. Mathew 23:23 is not a directive, command or instruction for the Christian. This incident was before the CHURCH was birthed.

It was an INDICTMENT on the Pharisees for HOW they wrongly placed greater EMPHASIS on tithing than they did on what Jesus refered to as "the weightier matters of the Law". Weightier means more important, more serious. The more important matters come first. The more important matters should be emphasised more than the less important matters. But today's tithers are actually acting in DIRECT OPPOSITE to what Jesus was stressing here. They are still emphasizing the less important.

That portion starts with a "woe" on the Pharisees for not doing first things first. It was an INDICTMENT against how the Pharisees went about the spiritual life.

So, when you say "we" in your "it stated categorically that we shouldn't pay tithe?", I take the "we" to means Christians. Since it was not directly addressed to Christians then we can not apply it as an instruction to us.

2. The Bible expressly says that the Christian is not bound to follow the Law of Moses in which the instructions to tithe is found - Acts 15. The Law of Moses superceeded any other previous laws. The Law was God's binding CONTRACT with anyone who chose to follow him at that time.

Today the Christian is under a new contract IN CHRIST. He is only bound by what that new contract prescribes for him. And, tithing is not one of them rather it is:
"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 CORINTHIANS 9: 7.

PRIDE is what can make a person who has long held to a position not to admit that he is wrong even in the face of CLEAR Biblical evidence.

How the CHURCH, not Israel or any other person, gave (and is still to give) is clear from scriptures. Why anyone today would think he has a better understanding than the Apostles on this is shear UNADULTERATED ARROGANCE.
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Hiccups: 7:39am On Dec 03, 2017
shocked

With the debate over tithing flooding everywhere, it is obvious salvation of followers was never a priority to most Churches

1 Like

Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by doyinbaby(f): 7:48am On Dec 03, 2017
The wahala wet tithe go cause hen no be here..........anyway Jesus said we should tithe........
..all Christians should study what the bible says concerning tithing and then follow it
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 03, 2017
plainbibletruth:

1. Mathew 23:23 is not a directive, command or instruction for the Christian. This incident was before the CHURCH was birthed.

It was an INDICTMENT on the Pharisees for HOW they wrongly placed greater EMPHASIS on tithing than they did on what Jesus refered to as "the weightier matters of the Law". Weightier means more important, more serious. The more important matters come first. The more important matters should be emphasised more than the less important matters. But today's tithers are actually acting in DIRECT OPPOSITE to what Jesus was stressing here. They are still emphasizing the less important.

That portion starts with a "woe" on the Pharisees for not doing first things first. It was an INDICTMENT against how the Pharisees went about the spiritual life.

So, when you say "we" in your "it stated categorically that we shouldn't pay tithe?", I take the "we" to means Christians. Since it was not directly addressed to Christians then we can not apply it as an instruction to us.

2. The Bible expressly says that the Christian is not bound to follow the Law of Moses in which the instructions to tithe is found - Acts 15. The Law of Moses superceeded any other previous laws. The Law was God's binding CONTRACT with anyone who chose to follow him at that time.

Today the Christian is under a new contract IN CHRIST. He is only bound by what that new contract prescribes for him. And, tithing is not one of them rather it is:
"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 CORINTHIANS 9: 7.

PRIDE is what can make a person who has long held to a position not to admit that he is wrong even in the face of CLEAR Biblical evidence.

How the CHURCH, not Israel or any other person, gave (and is still to give) is clear from scriptures. Why anyone today would think he has a better understanding than the Apostles on this is shear UNADULTERATED ARROGANCE.
You haven't answer the question. Did the Bible expressly condemned tithe yes or no?
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by plainbibletruth: 2:28pm On Dec 03, 2017
petra1:

Epistles only address issues they had problem with. Epistles was not a new bible . The Bible they had which psul told Timothy to study is the Old Testament .
The same way if tithe not not mentioned Specifically yet the principle is revealed
If you say the new law is love . Firstly Jesus taught it under the law just as he said it tithe under the law. Secondly he said love God . Which includes giving to him

I believe when the Apostles wrote they were CONVINCED that they were communicating the MIND OF CHRIST.

Their APOSTOLIC OFFICE and the special ministry of the Holy Spirit in their lives guaranteed that INSPIRATION.

For example, when Apostle John wrote the book of Revelations did he think was 'simply' writing his vision or did he believe he was communicating the message of Christ? When Paul emphatically declared that if anyone preached a different gospel other than the one the Apostles presented that such a one be accursed, was he merely expressing his opinion or was he CERTAIN that he was declaring the mind of Christ?

The principle of GIVING handed down to the New Testament believer is this:
"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9: 7.

Freewill giving, in whatever proportion the individual believer decides is the PRINCIPLE of giving under the New Covenant.

From what has been FREELY given the needs of full time ministers can be met as well as others' needs in within the Body of Christ e.g. the poor.
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by plainbibletruth: 2:31pm On Dec 03, 2017
asuustrike2009:

You haven't answer the question. Did the Bible expressly condemned tithe yes or no?

Do you mean the Mosaic tithe? If it is that the answer is YES, the Bible is against it for the Christian.
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 03, 2017
plainbibletruth:

Do you mean the Mosaic tithe? If it is that the answer is YES, the Bible is against it for the Christian.
Quote exactly the verse from the Bible were it was condemned outrightly and stop beating around the bush. Mosaic law indeed!
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by plainbibletruth: 3:09pm On Dec 03, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Quote exactly the verse from the Bible were it was condemned outrightly and stop beating around the bush. Mosaic law indeed!

The New Testament EXPRESSLY STATES that the Christian is to give in line with the following :
"Let each one give [thoughtfully and with purpose] just as he has decided in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver [and delights in the one whose heart is in his gift]. 2 Corinthians 9:7

I.e. not coerced to give nor have guilt feeling about giving.

By implication therefore, the Christian is NOT under any OBLIGATION to pay tithes. His giving should be what he has DECIDED by himself to give and not what someone else or church organization orders him to give.

This verse of the Scripture condemns MANDATORY TITHING for and by the Christian.
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by petra1(m): 5:50pm On Dec 03, 2017
plainbibletruth:

I believe when the Apostles wrote they were CONVINCED that they were communicating the MIND OF CHRIST.

Their APOSTOLIC OFFICE and the special ministry of the Holy Spirit in their lives guaranteed that INSPIRATION.

For example, when Apostle John wrote the book of Revelations did he think was 'simply' writing his vision or did he believe he was communicating the message of Christ? When Paul emphatically declared that if anyone preached a different gospel other than the one the Apostles presented that such a one be accursed, was he merely expressing his opinion or was he CERTAIN that he was declaring the mind of Christ?

The principle of GIVING handed down to the New Testament believer is this:
"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9: 7.

Freewill giving, in whatever proportion the individual believer decides is the PRINCIPLE of giving under the New Covenant.

The scripture you quoted has to do with vows made for saints in Jerusalem during the economic crisis . Of course it’s a feee will giving but Free will is not a New Testament giving . It’s part of the different givings in the Old Testament as well.

Deuteronomy 23:23
23 That which is gone out of thy lips thou shalt keep and perform; even a freewill offering, according as thou hast vowed unto the Lord thy God, which thou hast promised with thy mouth.

So the verse you quoted 2cor 9:7 was just a special offering raised for a specific project . To gather money for saints in Jerusalem . It’s only a kind of giving . There are different giving in God’s kingdom . Such as alm , tithe , offering etc . Free will offering was from the Old Testament as well as other giving .

From what has been FREELY given the needs of full time ministers can be met as well as others' needs in within the Body of Christ e.g. the poor.

As explained above that was for a specific project just like under the law. God gave the parallel principle of tithe for the Church .

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Elhven so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel

1 Like 1 Share

Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 03, 2017
plainbibletruth:

The New Testament EXPRESSLY STATES that the Christian is to give in line with the following :
"Let each one give [thoughtfully and with purpose] just as he has decided in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver [and delights in the one whose heart is in his gift]. 2 Corinthians 9:7

I.e. not coerced to give nor have guilt feeling about giving.

By implication therefore, the Christian is NOT under any OBLIGATION to pay tithes. His giving should be what he has DECIDED by himself to give and not what someone else or church organization orders him to give.

This verse of the Scripture condemns MANDATORY TITHING for and by the Christian.
They didn't condemn tithing at all.In fact the above scripture didn't talk about tithing. There is different between offering and tithing.
The scripture you quoted is offering not tithe.Tithing has being there before the adoption of mosaic law.Jesus our role model didn't condemn it how much the new testament
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Goshen360(m): 6:53pm On Dec 03, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Yes the bible expressly put an end to tithe
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 03, 2017
Goshen360:

Yes the bible expressly put an end to tithe
You have not quoted the exact verse to support your claim. You don't assume things support your assertion from the exact scriptures from the Bible
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Goshen360(m): 6:59pm On Dec 03, 2017
asuustrike2009:

They didn't condemn tithing at all.In fact the above scripture didn't talk about tithing. There is different between offering and tithing.
The scripture you quoted is offering not tithe.Tithing has being there before the adoption of mosaic law.Jesus our role model didn't condemn it how much the new testament

You tithe because you follow JESUS and not CHRIST. JESUS DIED but CHRIST is the resurrection and that's where your faith and life should be. Anyway, that's another topic on it's own.

Nobody tithe today ACCORDING to....BEFORE THE LAW, the tithe being preached today in churches are according to the law. Also, tithe before the law in the case of Abraham doesn't apply to Christians. So what tithe you talking about.
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 03, 2017
doyinbaby:
The wahala wet tithe go cause hen no be here..........anyway Jesus said we should tithe........
..all Christians should study what the bible says concerning tithing and then follow it
Exactly my sister. The bone of contention of tithe by many persons is as a result of poverty and reckless spending by many preachers. Those against tithing know the truth yet they want to cause unnecessary arguments. They are being used by Lucifer to draw men to hell. Now have you wonder why this issue isn't discuss the way we do here in Nigeria or Africa in advanced countries
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 03, 2017
Goshen360:

You tithe because you follow JESUS and not CHRIST. JESUS DIED but CHRIST is the resurrection and that's where your faith and life should be. Anyway, that's another topic on it's own.

Nobody tithe today ACCORDING to....BEFORE THE LAW, the tithe being preached today in churches are according to the law. Also, tithe before the law in the case of Abraham doesn't apply to Christians. So what tithe you talking about.
You just hitting around the bush without drawing from the Bible were it expressly say we shouldn't pay tithe. Tithing has being there from beginning and would be there till Jesus come. Anyone who chooses not to pay is a thief and wouldn't inherit the kingdom of God because thieves can enter heaven
Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Goshen360(m): 7:16pm On Dec 03, 2017
asuustrike2009:

You have not quoted the exact verse to support your claim. You don't assume things support your assertion from the exact scriptures from the Bible

Study or Slowly assimilate Hebrews 7 but emphasis on verses 5, 16 and 18....put these in context. When you read verse 18, pause and ask the question what commandment is he talking about?

1 Like

Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Goshen360(m): 7:19pm On Dec 03, 2017
asuustrike2009:

You just hitting around the bush without drawing from the Bible were it expressly say we shouldn't pay tithe. Tithing has being there from beginning and would be there till Jesus come. Anyone who chooses not to pay is a thief and wouldn't inherit the kingdom of God because thieves can enter heaven

Can it be said that Jesus once said to a thief.....today you'll be with me in paradise? Lol That thief must not have been paying tithe right? lol grin

1 Like

Re: TITHING: How Today's Christian Got It Wrong by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 03, 2017
Goshen360:

Can it be said that Jesus once said to a thief.....today you'll be with me in paradise? Lol That thief must not have been paying tithe right? lol grin
The case of that thief was he repented. If you don't repent from robbing God then you're heading to hell

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

First Fruit: Even The Poor And Aged Are Not Spared- Daddy Freeze / The Truth About The Holy Trinity. / Nigeria Has The Largest Amount Of Churches In The World Yet Still Corrupt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.