Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,819 members, 7,802,628 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary (12701 Views)

How To Negotiate Your Salary For A Promotion: Tips And Tricks / Tips On How To Ask Negotiate A Higher Salary Or Pay Raise / How To Negotiate A Better Salary | Career Advice Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by gridmagngr: 8:56pm On Nov 30, 2017
Job seekers spend so much time fine-tuning résumés and preparing for interviews that they are often unprepared for the salary proposal that accompanies a job offer. The company has made a significant investment in filling that vacancy and may be willing to come to more attractive terms, but many candidates fail to realize that employers are open to salary negotiation. The key to a good, mutually respectful negotiation is informed and honest communication.

Here are six tips to help you get the salary you deserve.

1. Prepare for your negotiation

Research a reasonable salary for the position considering your education and experience. Do not base your counteroffer solely on the wage you would like to make. By approaching the negotiation with appropriate information and a reasonable expectation, you will make a better impression on the employer as well as position yourself reasonably from the start.

2. Keep personal issues out of it

Do not use your mortgage payment or other bills as a reason you should be paid more. Employers may be sympathetic, but that is not a reason to provide more compensation. Instead, focus on the increased value you bring to the organization. Stress your unique qualities, experience, education or some other feature to demonstrate benefit to the company’s goals, vision or purpose.

Be Honest

Honesty is always the best policy. If asked what your previous salary was, don’t lie about it. While you may fear that it will weaken your position, it instead provides a strong foundation for your future working relationship. A reference check will reveal a lie, which could result in the offer being withdrawn altogether.

Remember That Compensation Is More Than Money

Salary offers include benefits such as vacation time, sick days and other work-life-balance options like a flexible schedule or telecommuting. Those items may also be negotiated. Depending on their importance to you, maybe an extra week of vacation is worth a little less in pay throughout the year. Consider the offer as a whole, and be open to negotiating aspects other than money.

Be Willing To Compromise

How you conduct yourself during a negotiation is as important as what you say. Be kind but firm, confident yet compromising. Your tone and demeanor will keep the conversation going or shut it down completely. Delivering ultimatums seldom works, and if it does, it can result in a negative atmosphere for future interactions.

Don’t Lowball Yourself

Many employers will ask you for a salary range on your application, during your interview or when they first contact you with a job offer. Whatever your very bottom number is, make sure the lowest number in your salary range is still above that (but within a reasonable range based on your research). If you go in with your minimum acceptable offer, the final number may be dangerously close to that.

http://gridnigeria.com/6-proven-ways-to-negotiate-a-higher-salary/

5 Likes

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by miqos03: 7:07am On Dec 02, 2017
Good
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by jerflakes(m): 7:08am On Dec 02, 2017
Negotiate salary for naija again?

You'd better have a side job that supplements your income

Cos your employer is waiting to fire you for no reason

6 Likes

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by joviegghead: 7:08am On Dec 02, 2017
I've heard
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by Primusinterpares(m): 7:09am On Dec 02, 2017
my ppl na d amount when dem 1 pay you nai den go still pay you...

my advice...

even if you get a job, just don't see it as arrival but start putting one or two to start up something for your self.
#be an entrepreneur
#my2kobo

1 Like

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by BruncleZuma: 7:11am On Dec 02, 2017
Every 3weeks we get this type of topic...op but why?

1 Like

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 02, 2017
Applying Oyinbo format here in Nigeria is failure Guarantee.

Most Employer view Employee as cost. only the few of them view employer as an important investment

so before u apply the op so called proven step, Classify your employer.

My preferred is to improve yourself and become Value and apply for better offers, not forgetting that you must work to build your own dream as well.
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 02, 2017
Sorry not applicable in 9ja labor market especially Point #3?
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by blaze1916(m): 7:11am On Dec 02, 2017
Ok thank u...will tell people to work on them
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by chinawapz(m): 7:16am On Dec 02, 2017
Hmmmm
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by agwom(m): 7:17am On Dec 02, 2017
Hmmm
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by Kingsleyuc(m): 7:23am On Dec 02, 2017
Just know you worth...thats it.

cake baking and decorations full course training pdf and videos download free...check my profile
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by Tajbol4splend(m): 7:24am On Dec 02, 2017
Lovely but as a fresh graduate, who just finished nysc looking for a job, the confidence level may not be optimum

1 Like

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by Tajbol4splend(m): 7:29am On Dec 02, 2017
Primusinterpares:
my ppl na d amount when dem 1 pay you nai den go still pay you...

my advice...

even if you get a job, just don't see it as arrival but start putting one or two to start up something for your self.
#be an entrepreneur
#my2kobo

1 Like

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by cooljoe7(m): 7:55am On Dec 02, 2017
well said op..but there is just nothing like been an enterprenure. the freedom you get when you are your own boss is so numerous..

check my signature for your promotional advert
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by skolab4(m): 8:03am On Dec 02, 2017
It is applicable in Nigeria too, but what if u r unable to research the company salary range?..
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by PaulJQuijada: 8:27am On Dec 02, 2017
cake baking and decorations full course training pdf and videos download free...check my profile
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by oluwakayode25(m): 9:12am On Dec 02, 2017
Nigeria Employees are non negotiators...ever wondered why we don't v negotiators when it comes to terrorism and kidnapping??,,stay woke fam.

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by Pque(m): 9:23am On Dec 02, 2017
jerflakes:
Negotiate salary for naija again?
Cos your employer is waiting to fire you for no reason
the best advise so far!

1 Like

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by Pque(m): 9:38am On Dec 02, 2017
most of d advise here are wonderful, amateurs should better hold to it tightly. As u are working for your boss make sure u have an investment by d side.

1 Like

Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by ShellyOCushm: 10:15am On Dec 02, 2017
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by adeoba2008(m): 10:44am On Dec 02, 2017
With I.T knowledge and certifications, you make yourself relevant and get Pay rise without much stress. Get started for free today at www.crmnigeria.com
Re: 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary by MatthewCGile: 12:42pm On Dec 02, 2017
most of d advise here are wonderful, amateurs should better hold to it tightly.

(1) (Reply)

Local Government Workers In Kwara Reject Share Of Paris Club Loan Refund / How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? / Breaking: Verification And Payment Of Defunct Airways Staff Kano. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.