Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. (19093 Views)

8 Things Every Smartphone User Should Consider When Getting A New Phone / 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. / 5 Great Specs To Consider When You're Choosing Your Next Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by basidoo(m): 3:16am On Dec 03, 2017
There is no need to keep wondering, asking people, or searching the internet for different models of smartphones and then pestering on which one to buy.

1. OS Version: Check the phone out if its OS version isn't one of the latest in town, don't even risk it because it doesn't worth it. As of the time of this post writing Android version 8.0 is the latest so a version of 4.4 below is considered to be outdated and insecure.
2. Security/Extra Features: [/b]Most smartphones these days have started coming with extra security features such as fingerprint sensor or even iris sensors. These are not just to lock/unlock a handset but as a password to access certain files, documents or apps. You should chose a phone with advantage over your friend's or boss or even your co-workers phone.It's preferable to buy a smartphone with these extra security features since most of us have personal information on our handsets these days.
3. [b]Battery:
Gone are those days of using phones with 1,300mAh, an average/light internet user should consider buying a phone of at least 5000mAh which could last a day. But if you are the heavy user type, i would suggest you buy a 10000mAh (cool isn't it). And also you don't just get to buy a phone with large battery capacity but slow charging. Things won't get done.
4. Camera: If you are the selfie type you should also consider your camera since its essential in your selfie life. Just having higher number of megapixels does not mean that the smartphone camera is better. Several specifications such as camera aperture, ISO levels, pixel size, autofocus and more are essential as well. A 16MP rear camera does not necessarily be better than a 12MP camera. Same theory goes for the front-facing camera.

Higher number of pixels mean that the size of the image is bigger, which becomes more sharper when seen on a small screen. A photographer enthusiast might want a camera with 12 or 16MP sensor under f/2.0 or lower aperture for speedy shots even in low lights. A casual shooter can go by even with an 8MP 0r 12MP camera with f/2.0-f/2.2 aperture.
5. Storage: Your storage spec does matter when it comes to choosing a phone for yourself. Firstly you need a phone of at least 1G ROM and up to 32G SD Card. A 16GB/32GB/64GB or more don’t really come with exact mentioned space. If you like to keep less number of apps on your devices, you can go for 32GB storage.

Users who like to keep larger number of apps can go for 64GB or 128GB variants. You can also buy a 16GB model that supports microSD card as well.
6. Processor: The processing power of a smartphone varies from one device to another depending on several factors such as OS version, UI, bloatware and more.

If you are a heavy user who need to edit images/videos/documents online, play heavy games, stream videos or often use apps in split screen mode, then smartphones with Qualcomm Snapdragon 652 or Snapdragon 820/821 should make multitasking fluid for you.

Light users will be happy with handsets that come with MediaTek processors.
7. Audio Quality: Speakers and the quality of audio coming out of it can be an important parameter for those who rely on heavy video streaming or video conferences. If you like entertainment-on-the-go, buy a handset that has front-facing speakers. This gives clear sound even while holding the smartphone in landscape mode.

If you don’t indulge in video streaming or video conferencing much, then a regular handset with bottom-firing speakers should be just fine. Those with speakers placed at the back are also fine.processor

I hope you find the best amongst the best of phones.
Read more: https://techtip.com.ng/things-consider-buying-smartphones/

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by solochris(m): 6:52am On Dec 03, 2017
I consider my account balance first before any other thing...

FTC for the first time cheesy cheesy cheesy

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Alfred200825(m): 6:52am On Dec 03, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Draei: 6:53am On Dec 03, 2017
Crappy list...First is PRICE, Number 3
should come next then followed by
Number 1 and 4. The others you listed
are irrelevant here in Nigeria.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Flexherbal(m): 6:56am On Dec 03, 2017
Nice info!
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by cescky(m): 6:56am On Dec 03, 2017
All the listed Na the b part

You didn't mention the A part which is the most influential " money" it's the first thing P people would consider

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by AishaBuhari: 6:57am On Dec 03, 2017
1GB RAM device and 1.3GHz Processors are too stressful. MTK devices are guilty of this crimes embarassed

Don't look at battery capacity by quantity but by quality:- Qualcomm, Snapdragon, Exynos Chipsets are good at battery/performance optimization no matter the capacity of the battery!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Lexusgs430: 6:58am On Dec 03, 2017
Cost vs Specification against competition......

That's why I am presently using an Umidigi smartphone.....

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Abfinest007(m): 6:58am On Dec 03, 2017
is good to buy quality but sew ur coat according to ur size to avoid debt
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by illicit(m): 7:00am On Dec 03, 2017
Owo ni koko
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by OVA200(m): 7:01am On Dec 03, 2017
OP you can't draft a list for everyone because what we want in phone is different so you highlight what you want and I highlight what I want and we both go for the phone that meet our criteria.
So all this thing you list up there is not the most for some.

For me it is user interface above other thing, Weird? That's it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by GraveMan(m): 7:02am On Dec 03, 2017
@OP which phone can u recommend for me, i am a heavy user and a picture fan. i have 40k with me. the phone must be snapdragon
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Abudu2000(m): 7:05am On Dec 03, 2017
Phones have gradually become more expensive and almost more useful than laptops these days, idk Maybe by 2022 banks won't be needing much laptops I guess
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Nutase: 7:05am On Dec 03, 2017
Nonsensical
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by HumbleGee(f): 7:06am On Dec 03, 2017
By the time you finished looking for all this once GBAM your money don finish
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by AishaBuhari: 7:07am On Dec 03, 2017
GraveMan:
@OP which phone can u recommend for me, i am a heavy user and a picture fan. i have 40k with me. the phone must be snapdragon
Go for Xiaomi 4X device.

You won't regret it wink

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by joviegghead: 7:07am On Dec 03, 2017
Good points.. But I guess every phone lover knows these... But we are forgetting something here...... COST
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by calddon(m): 7:10am On Dec 03, 2017
For me:
Physical Build(sleek and stylish... The reason i loved my HTC A9)

Developer support (OEM releasing a phone with a particular OS version doesn't mean they will provide future software update support. eg, Gionee)

Spare part availability (when you crack your screen... The way forward)

Utility (expandable storage support, MultiSim card support)

How can i forget.... SCREEN QUALITY... I LOVE OLEDs

2 Likes

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by labanj1(m): 7:12am On Dec 03, 2017
Mine 1. RAM and ROM 2. Screen (Size, Protection, etc) 3. Battery 4. Price 5. OS 6. Brand 7. Any other thing

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by PitexyBaba(m): 7:12am On Dec 03, 2017
Which Product Do U Think Is D Best Pls? Besides IPhone O,,, U Wnt Get Into Debt.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by labanj1(m): 7:16am On Dec 03, 2017
Abudu2000:
Phones have gradually become more expensive and almost more useful than laptops these days, idk Maybe by 2022 banks won't be needing much laptops I guess
The top brands are the ones with price increase. Other ones are getting cheaper. The only problem has been the instability of Dollar Naira. Check out smartphones like Umidigi, Leagoo, Oukitel, Xiaomi, etc.

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by donbenie(m): 7:18am On Dec 03, 2017
Price is the most important consideration while buying a Smartphone and this brings in the issue of brand..Top Tier or Chinese..
The Screen Technology is also important for me,AMOLED or IPS..
Camera capabilities for the photogenic,..
Battery capacity and optimization,simply having the largest battery on a phone does not equate to the best battery life..
OS version,5.0 Lollipop at the very least..to still be able to update all your applications whenever available..
RAM and ROM Capacities..at least 2G RAM for effective multitasking and 32G ROM with SD card space or 64G without SD card space..
The Chipset is another important consideration..MEDIATEK or SNAPDRAGON..
Finally the look and feel of said device,all metal build with at least 5.5inch screen size..
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by kayo80(m): 7:20am On Dec 03, 2017
Yep. Cool write up.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by straighttalk(m): 7:22am On Dec 03, 2017
The screen size is equally important for easy input as well as better vision.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 03, 2017
AishaBuhari:
1GB RAM device and 1.3GHz Processors are too stressful. MTK devices are guilty of this crimes embarassed

Don't look at battery capacity by quantity but by quality:- Qualcomm, Snapdragon, Exynos Chipsets are good at battery/performance optimization no matter the capacity of the battery!
stop talking rubbish have you ask why most high-end phones lack good battery.

snapdragon my foot, if you don't have big Battery you are on your own, have you ask why Samsung release c9 pro
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Abudu2000(m): 7:23am On Dec 03, 2017
labanj1:

The top brands are the ones with price increase. Other ones are getting cheaper. The only problem has been the instability of Dollar Naira. Check out smartphones like Umidigi, Leagoo, Oukitel, Xiaomi, etc.
when I mean smartphones I don't mean these craps, I'm talking of real phones bru

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by AishaBuhari: 7:24am On Dec 03, 2017
Princeofnigeria:

snapdragon my foot, if you don't have big Battery you are on your own, have ask why Samsung release c9 pro
That was my opinion! You can make yours and stop trying to counter other people's opinions with insults!

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Goldenheart(m): 7:25am On Dec 03, 2017
For Android users grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by donbenie(m): 7:32am On Dec 03, 2017
Princeofnigeria:

snapdragon my foot, if you don't have big Battery you are on your own, have you ask why Samsung release c9 pro
There's more to a battery longevity than the size of the battery..yes the battery capacity is the most important consideration but a good Power efficient CHIPSET goes a long way in improving the battery life..
The Snapdragon 625 is noted for its frugal use of power and gives an estimated 25% better battery life than comparable Chipsets..
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by kay29000(m): 7:33am On Dec 03, 2017
The two things I consider before getting a phone are.. Operating System (OS), and Battery.

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by labanj1(m): 7:33am On Dec 03, 2017
Abudu2000:
when I mean smartphones I don't mean these craps, I'm talking of real phones bru
Bro. Some of them aren't really crap. Huawei, ZTE, One plus, Xiaomi, Umidigi are good and they're all Chinese brands.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures From TECNO SPARK 20 Series Launch And TECNOxAFCON Sponsorship / The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" / We Did Not Sack Oyagbola And We Paid No Bribe - MTN.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.