Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Internet Card Hangs My Computer For No Apparent Reason, Any Advice? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Internet Card Hangs My Computer For No Apparent Reason, Any Advice? (758 Views)

Used White Aspire One Mini Computer For Sale 25k..slightly Negotiatble. / My Computer Shows "blue Screen" - What Do I Do? / Computer Hangs At "Verifying Dmi Pool Data" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Internet Card Hangs My Computer For No Apparent Reason, Any Advice? by 1forall: 1:28am On Feb 25, 2007
Hi people. Got another PC issue on my laps now. My friend subscribes to Starcomms Internet using the EVDO card in his PCMCIA slot on his laptop PC. He subscribed to the service since November and it has worked ok. His laptop is a Dell Inspiron running Win XP Home. He asked me to take a look at it when he noticed last week that the PC would just freeze whenever he inserts the card, if he removes it goes back to its normal working condition, but if he inserts it a second time, it freezes completely and needs to be restarted (for sure).

Now I/we've tried several things. Running a system restore, uninstalling and re-installing the PC Card Modem, tweaking modem settings etc. At a point we decide to disable the default modem which we suspected could be contending for the same resources as the card. Then we inserted the card into the slot and it didnt freeze! We adjusted the modem settings (could only be done when the card was recognised and the PC functioning) and while were reducing the modem speed (bps) it froze again. Despite this the card works well on my own laptop.

Ok it was mind boggling but we decide to backup the data and reinstall the OS (abi?). Now we install Win XP Pro creating new partitions and formatting, and it installed fine, but the PC still froze when the PC Card was inserted! And the card still works well on my own laptop.

What could be the cause of this? and what could be the solution?

Your advice shall be appreciated, thanks!

(1) (Reply)

Learn Html/ Website Design (for Beginner & Pro) Free / Comptia Server + / Reinstalling Windows Xp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.