Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,900 members, 7,806,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:21 PM

The Pantheist Thread. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Pantheist Thread. (1546 Views)

A Discussion On God And Consciousness Between An Atheist And A Pantheist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Pantheist Thread. by MrMystrO(m): 4:45pm On Mar 19, 2018
festwiz:
They seem sort of similar to me.

pan·the·ism- /ˈpanTHēˌizəm/

noun

1. a doctrine that identifies God with the universe, or regards the universe as a manifestation of God.

2. worship that admits or tolerates all gods.

WHILE

Universalism is a theological and philosophical concept that some ideas have universal application or applicability.[ citation needed]A community that calls itself universalist may emphasize the universal principles of most religions and accept other religions in an inclusive manner, believing in a universal reconciliation between humanity and the divine

Hmmm. The idea is definitely valid in it's own right... But i think from the Definitions which you gave above, You can already see there are fundamental differences between the two.
Re: The Pantheist Thread. by MrMystrO(m): 4:49pm On Mar 19, 2018
Sarassin:

Thank you very much. The question you ask is quite loaded, I believe each is a universal truth, change is constant and universal it represents the ultimate expression of Divine will but I would be loathe to diminish the second axiom on the interdependence of things because change is calibrated by awareness as illustrated by the ancient Chinese philosopher Zhuang Zhu who neatly sums it up in the following story:

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man. Between a man and a butterfly there is necessarily a distinction. The transition is called the transformation of material things.

For me, the Pantheistic ideal embodies the principles of change and interdependence, the material form is secondary this of course leads us to the third and final axiom which is “transformation.”

Thank you so much for this. I don't know if you'd have the time but please when you do, Could you please elaborate on the Fundamental differences between Tantra and Pantheism? Thanks
Re: The Pantheist Thread. by vaxx: 5:27pm On Mar 19, 2018
MrMystrO:

Hey smiley

Thanks for dropping by
To be honest, i really like the idea of Spinoza GOD , at least well philosophically posited than atheism(my opinion) and somehow agree with my paganism faith apart that we still believes all creature springs up from a source that is self independent and unique in kind but the creature he created including every other element which are plant , water , trees and the rest(but known and yet unknown) of the universe has an internal soul force.

well, i believe it is true that all human beings are connected to the material world, science made us know that we are product of element called matter and the same elements that make up the human body are all taken or present in other things of nature.i also absolutely agree, but lets look it this way , When a person eats and grows he assimilates his food intake into his body, he literally is what he eats(we are what we eat)my concept though. But i believe there is much more to a human being than the SPINOZA idea . There is the spirit as well and all of the embedded powers of reasons, wonder and imagination that we human beings have as well. Each of us think our own thoughts, has our own beliefs, reflects on our own experiences as well, fears, hopes and dreams. All these somehow makes us difference individual.i will like to understand the position of pantheism on this concept? why are we unique in kind despite being a product of the same material world?
Re: The Pantheist Thread. by LotusFan: 7:47pm On Mar 19, 2018
Sarassin:

...at our very best when we are in resonance and sympathy with our cosmic surrounds.

Lovely! smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pantheist Thread. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Mar 19, 2018
MrMystrO:

Thank you so much for this. I don't know if you'd have the time but please when you do, Could you please elaborate on the Fundamental differences between Tantra and Pantheism? Thanks

Sure, if we start with the broadest definition of Pantheism that identifies the Divine with the universe, we can then further refine our definition by affirming that Pantheism is not the deification of the physical structures of the cosmos but rather an acknowledgement of an all pervasive, all embracing sentience or awareness, or even let us say "Spirit" as described earlier. We could also say that this cosmic sentience or “Being” exists by virtue of the fact that the universe has come into existence.

If we consider that, awareness and cognisance of this Cosmic sentience is the ultimate reality, then Tantra is the path to an experience of the ultimate reality.

All the great religions of the world asks for your faith and belief in their codified revelations of God. Tantra is not concerned with one’s belief or faith in God, it seeks only to show you the path to an experience of the ultimate reality.
Re: The Pantheist Thread. by MrMystrO(m): 9:29pm On Mar 19, 2018
Sarassin:

Sure, if we start with the broadest definition of Pantheism that identifies the Divine with the universe, we can then further refine our definition by affirming that Pantheism is not the deification of the physical structures of the cosmos but rather an acknowledgement of an all pervasive, all embracing sentience or awareness, or even let us say "Spirit" as described earlier. We could also say that this cosmic sentience or “Being” exists by virtue of the fact that the universe has come into existence.

If we consider that, awareness and cognisance of this Cosmic sentience is the ultimate reality, then Tantra is the path to an experience of the ultimate reality.

All the great religions of the world asks for your faith and belief in their codified revelations of God. Tantra is not concerned with one’s belief or faith in God, it seeks only to show you the path to an experience of the ultimate reality.

Hmmm interesting, Thank you for this.

1 Like

Re: The Pantheist Thread. by MrMystrO(m): 9:36pm On Mar 19, 2018
vaxx:
To be honest, i really like the idea of Spinoza GOD , at least well philosophically posited than atheism(my opinion) and somehow agree with my paganism faith apart that we still believes all creature springs up from a source that is self independent and unique in kind but the creature he created including every other element which are plant , water , trees and the rest(but known and yet unknown) of the universe has an internal soul force.

well, i believe it is true that all human beings are connected to the material world, science made us know that we are product of element called matter and the same elements that make up the human body are all taken or present in other things of nature.i also absolutely agree, but lets look it this way , When a person eats and grows he assimilates his food intake into his body, he literally is what he eats(we are what we eat)my concept though. But i believe there is much more to a human being than the SPINOZA idea . There is the spirit as well and all of the embedded powers of reasons, wonder and imagination that we human beings have as well. Each of us think our own thoughts, has our own beliefs, reflects on our own experiences as well, fears, hopes and dreams. All these somehow makes us difference individual.i will like to understand the position of pantheism on this concept? why are we unique in kind despite being a product of the same material world?
Very intriguing question.. although i wouldn't want to be the one to Answer this question all by myself as i consider Sarassin In a better position to Offer stronger insights on this while i finish it off with my Contribution. So dear Sarassin, i kindly wish you will offer us your insight on this. Thanks.
Re: The Pantheist Thread. by MrMystrO(m): 3:59pm On Mar 21, 2018
Hi Sarassin Your Attention is still needed here Please. Thanks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Let Us Bow Our Heads In Prayer / Prophecy For The Year 2022/2023 By Messenger Great Asibor / Should A Christian Commit Suicide In Order To Be Closer To God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.