Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria (21129 Views)

Air Peace Accused Of Abandoning Abuja-Owerri Passangers Without Food / Nigerian Lady Denied Canadian Residency, To Be Deported For Having Baby (pics) / Man Calls Out "God Is Good Motors" For Abandoning Him In The Hospital (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 04, 2017
Hello, I'm a medical doctor practising in Nigeria;
I'm currently undergoing my residency training program as a junior resident in Surgery, will be due for my part 1 exam in 2019,
right now, greeted with so much frustration of the Health system in Nigeria and all the attendant menace there in; I want to abandon my program I'm doing and go in for PLAB exam (UK medical licensing exam, to practise in the UK) , please, is this a good move?
I need sincere responses from people, preferably doctors that have made similar moves.
Thank you.

Just to note; up to half of my colleagues in same training with me, in same Dept. Are also making same move.

Responses please...

1 Like

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by 1Sharon(f): 4:19pm On Dec 04, 2017
Aww.. I know about plab, my dad did that

2 Likes

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by rinzylee(m): 8:48pm On Dec 04, 2017
Go ahead and write PLAB 1, Pass it and prepare for PLAB 2, while you tidy up your Part 1 here in Naija. use 2018 to raise cash for the PLAB 2 process, cos it's written in UK. Passing PLAB 2 most likely would enable you practise in Australia after 1 year of UK experience, so you even have double oppourtunity .
if your residency was in Paediatrics ,it would have been a beautiful arrangement....

Jisike

17 Likes

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 9:43pm On Dec 04, 2017
rinzylee:
Go ahead and write PLAB 1, Pass it and prepare for PLAB 2, while you tidy up your Part 1 here in Naija. use 2018 to raise cash for the PLAB 2 process, cos it's written in UK. Passing PLAB 2 most likely would enable you practise in Australia after 1 year of UK experience, so you even have double oppourtunity .
if your residency was in Paediatrics ,it would have been a beautiful arrangement....

Jisike
thanks for this bro...
Heard about the paediatric thing, it's lovely...
I'll do like u said, plan writing plab 1 in March, going for ietls in January..

1 Like

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by rinzylee(m): 11:11pm On Dec 04, 2017
Raymondenyi:

thanks for this bro...
Heard about the paediatric thing, it's lovely...
I'll do like u said, plan writing plab 1 in March, going for ietls in January..

God's Grace brother!!! You will succeed. I am a Physiotherapist anyway... Cheeers

4 Likes

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by aieromon(m): 4:48am On Dec 05, 2017
Raymondenyi:

I'm currently undergoing my residency training program as a junior resident in Surgery, will be due for my part 1 exam in 2019,
right now, greeted with so much frustration of the Health system in Nigeria and all the attendant menace there in; I want to abandon my program I'm doing and go in for PLAB exam (UK medical licensing exam, to practise in the UK) , please, is this a good move?
I need sincere responses from people, preferably doctors that have made similar moves.
Thank you.

Just to note; up to half of my colleagues in same training with me, in same Dept. Are also making same move.

Responses please...

It's a GREAT move.

Why don't you consider taking the Australia board exams? The country is most welcoming for healthcare professionals compared to the overhyped UK.

2 Likes

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 1:13am On Dec 06, 2017
Good suggestion bro, but the challenge will be, I'll have to get a visa to Australia, stay there, do menial jobs, to get my feet, get enough money to write the exams as it isn't written here in Nigeria; so instead I could write plab (I know I'll pass it) , practise in the UK for a year, that will qualify to practise in Australia like someone suggested, that way, it's a better deal.
Thanks...
aieromon:

It's a GREAT move.

Why don't you consider taking the Australia board exams? The country is most welcoming for healthcare professionals compared to the overhyped UK.

7 Likes

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by aieromon(m): 7:05am On Dec 06, 2017
Raymondenyi:
Good suggestion bro, but the challenge will be, I'll have to get a visa to Australia, stay there, do menial jobs, to get my feet, get enough money to write the exams as it isn't written here in Nigeria; so instead I could write plab (I know I'll pass it) , practise in the UK for a year, that will qualify to practise in Australia like someone suggested, that way, it's a better deal.
Thanks...

My friend prepared for the exams right here in Nigeria. Part 1 was written in India while Part 2 was written in Australia.
Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by PromixTuhh(m): 5:49pm On Dec 06, 2017
Have you considered the USA? The USMLE is more difficult but I heard there’s a better chance of matching to a residency.

2 Likes

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by fatima04: 8:55pm On Dec 06, 2017
Raymondenyi:

I'm currently undergoing my residency training program as a junior resident in Surgery, will be du

Responses please...

It is a very good move and a good plan for 2018. All the best in your ielts that's the only challenge in the project.

Good luck!!!
Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by claremont(m): 9:36pm On Dec 06, 2017
A friend of mine did the PLAB exams ages ago, and he is currently working as an A and E locum doctor in the NHS. He gets paid £500-£600 per day shift. I will advice you to focus on passing your PLAB and getting your UK licence to practice, the UK needs doctors and pays well. I didn't study medicine, but I also had to pass the ielts exams in order to undertake my conversion. It's easy to smash it, and I'm yet to meet any Nigerian who studied any of the medical sciences struggle to pass ielts. Ielts exam is nothing compared to what we went through in Nigeria burning the midnight oil in university.

Good luck.

21 Likes

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by fatima04: 8:00am On Dec 07, 2017
Lol, ielts is now breaking pples back oo with 0.5 difference, and to an extent that pple even challenge there result and get an higher score.

The challenge is the specific board requirement. However it's still easy to pass but pls don't underestimate it as an English exam. Prepare hard and know the tactics !!!

All the best.

claremont:
A friend of mine did the PLAB exams ages ago, and he is currently working as an A and E locum doctor in the NHS. He gets paid £500-£600 per day shift. I will advice you to focus on passing your PLAB and getting your UK licence to practice, the UK needs doctors and pays well. I didn't study medicine, but I also had to pass the ielts exams in order to undertake my conversion. It's easy to smash it, and I'm yet to meet any Nigerian who studied any of the medical sciences struggle to pass ielts. Ielts exam is nothing compared to what we went through in Nigeria burning the midnight oil in university.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 6:08am On Dec 08, 2017
PromixTuhh:
Have you considered the USA? The USMLE is more difficult but I heard there’s a better chance of matching to a residency.
actually dear, I have considered it, but I'll actually prefer Canada, or Australia, I have my plans there. The challenge being USMLE takes a lot of time, Canadian medical licensing exams is done in Canada, meaning I'll have to go and start doing meagre jobs to meet ends meet, before I can settle after passing them. PLAB seems to be the easiest way out, after practising in the UK for about a year, it gives a better opportunity to look around other First World countries to explore my options and possibly go in for a residency training...
Thanks a lot. For your input

6 Likes

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 6:11am On Dec 08, 2017
Thanks for this, I appreciate... Thank u
fatima04:
Lol, ielts is now breaking pples back oo with 0.5 difference, and to an extent that pple even challenge there result and get an higher score.

The challenge is the specific board requirement. However it's still easy to pass but pls don't underestimate it as an English exam. Prepare hard and know the tactics !!!

All the best.

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 08, 2017
Proceed it's a nice move, u won't regret it.
Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Oritna94(m): 9:02am On Feb 26, 2018
Please im also in the same dilemma. I'm a resident in pathology, but for the past 5 years no accreditation. I'm so frustrated and tired of the system. Planning to take IELTS and plab this year. Age is not on my side for I'm in my late 30s now. Any suggestions. Thank you in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 27, 2018
You should do it oritna94, you won't regret it. I guess that means you ll have to target the November PLAB, cos the one for March is closed.
I was able to do my IELTS and scaled through, I immediately registered for PLAB, I'll be going to Lagos for it in March.
You can follow suit by November, I don't think you'll regret it.

1 Like

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Oritna94(m): 10:40am On Feb 27, 2018
Raymondenyi:
You should do it oritna94, you won't regret it. I guess that means you ll have to target the November PLAB, cos the one for March is closed.
I was able to do my IELTS and scaled through, I immediately registered for PLAB, I'll be going to Lagos for it in March.
You can follow suit by November, I don't think you'll regret it.

Thank you. I'm preparing already. How was the ELTS? The writing test seem to be my cross now.
Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 04, 2018
Oritna94:

Thank you. I'm preparing already. How was the ELTS? The writing test seem to be my cross now.
the writing test is quite easy, you will sure pass it. The cross of most people is the reading test, that test requires some percuniary dynamics, and reading pattern, u have to be an expert at skimming and scanning,
that was the challenge I had, but I got to learn how to tackle it expertly after the exam, However I scaled through.
Master the reading very well, do some practise with the listening, and you won't have problems.

Ieltsonlinetests.com ; that's a website u can go to practise, the exam is simulated and you are timed.
All the best brother, just take your time and target the November PLAB.

1 Like

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Oritna94(m): 10:44pm On Mar 04, 2018
Raymondenyi:

the writing test is quite easy, you will sure pass it. The cross of most people is the reading test, that test requires some percuniary dynamics, and reading pattern, u have to be an expert at skimming and scanning,
that was the challenge I had, but I got to learn how to tackle it expertly after the exam, However I scaled through.
Master the reading very well, do some practise with the listening, and you won't have problems.

Ieltsonlinetests.com ; that's a website u can go to practise, the exam is simulated and you are timed.

Thanks bro. I surely will do my best
Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by pinkgems(f): 10:04am On Mar 07, 2018
If you’re preparing to write or rewrite an exam and you need that extra boost/ideas to ACE♠ it grin or you just want to hear me rant about my struggles then please head over to my youtube channel....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjzkCbA_eA

Please Watch, Like and don’t forget to Subscribe.

��New videos every Tuesday��

Besos!�

1 Like

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 07, 2018
pinkgems:
If you’re preparing to write or rewrite an exam and you need that extra boost/ideas to ACE♠ it grin or you just want to hear me rant about my struggles then please head over to my youtube channel....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjzkCbA_eA

Please Watch, Like and don’t forget to Subscribe.

��New videos every Tuesday��

Besos!�
what will u offer me in return?
Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Oritna94(m): 10:31pm On Mar 22, 2018
Raymondenyi:

Hi. How far with the plab1. When are you taking it. I have been preparing for IELTS and so far, it has been great. I will take it on April 21.

1 Like

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 24, 2018
Oritna94:

Hi. How far with the plab1. When are you taking it. I have been preparing for IELTS and so far, it has been great. I will take it on April 21.
I wrote the March 15 PLAB, I'm awaiting the results...

I wish u success in your IELTS..

PREPARE very well for the reading ; that's the challenge of most people.
Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by idu1(m): 11:30am On Mar 24, 2018
Raymondenyi:

I wrote the March 15 PLAB, I'm awaiting the results...

I wish u success in your IELTS..

PREPARE very well for the reading ; that's the challenge of most people.

You prefer being slave in the city to king in the jungle?

Medical consultants are not doing bad in nigeria.

Hope you know you can still travel after your residency?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Onyxnaija: 12:05pm On Mar 24, 2018
Write your plab exams and jobs will flood in. Practice for a year in the UK and get your AMC advanced standing then Australia will be your playground, with earnings upwards of $500,000 per annum if you get into Gp. Many gps average $800,000 minimum. You live in a safe country, your children have better opportunities, there is social justice and you are treated with dignity. Use what you have to get what you want. Your medical degree is a goldmine, use it to your advantage.
As for the the person suggesting you’ll do better in Nigeria, I bet he does not have the opportunity you have cos if he/she did they’d have gone there long ago.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 5:46pm On Mar 24, 2018
Onyxnaija:
Write your plab exams and jobs will flood in. Practice for a year in the UK and get your AMC advanced standing then Australia will be your playground, with earnings upwards of $500,000 per annum if you get into Gp. Many gps average $800,000 minimum. You live in a safe country, your children have better opportunities, there is social justice and you are treated with dignity. You want you have to get what you want. Your medical degree is a goldmine, use it to your advantage.
As for the the person suggesting you’ll do better in Nigeria, I bet he does not have the opportunity you have cos if he/she did they’d have gone there long ago.
Thanks bro, some persons are just not so enlightened, you don't waste your precious time engaging them in any sort of discourse...

5 Likes

Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by idu1(m): 12:24am On Mar 25, 2018
TheTrueApostle:
Proceed it's a nice move, u won't regret it.
up till date we never know your speacilty. Keep hiding for no reason.
Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 6:54am On Mar 25, 2018
Go and die. .
idu1:
up till date we never know your speacilty. Keep hiding for no reason.
Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by idu1(m): 7:19am On Mar 25, 2018
TheTrueApostle:
Go and die. .
your useless mother and sisters will die first
Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 02, 2018
Onyxnaija:
Write your plab exams and jobs will flood in. Practice for a year in the UK and get your AMC advanced standing then Australia will be your playground, with earnings upwards of $500,000 per annum if you get into Gp. Many gps average $800,000 minimum. You live in a safe country, your children have better opportunities, there is social justice and you are treated with dignity. Use what you have to get what you want. Your medical degree is a goldmine, use it to your advantage.
hello bro, thanks for this.
Please want to ask of the possibility of going to Canada to practise, after practising in UK for about a year, someone told me it's possible, but don't know how true, can you confirm this?
Re: Going For PLAB Exam And Abandoning Residency Program in Nigeria by Nobody: 6:07am On Apr 20, 2018
Hello oritna94; the PLAB 1 result was release yesterday, and I passed, I'm now making headway towards moving in to Manchester for PLAB2.
I'm updating you here, so u can be encouraged to proceed. Hopefully ,I'll be going for that in july/August.

14 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

51-year-old Taraba Bridge Collapses / 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University / Construction Commences On Lagos - Calabar Coastal Highway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.