Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,026 members, 7,803,451 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

Moving Back To Nigeria From USA - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Moving Back To Nigeria From USA (89990 Views)

Happie Boys Deported To Nigeria From Cyprus / Thinking Of Relocating Back To Nigeria From Canada / Moving Back To Nigeria After The Lockdown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Go Down)

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by DisGuy: 1:33pm On Dec 05, 2017
$2000 should be enough for a solo 1-2 months holiday to see and feel the pulse of the country business and employment

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by olahero(m): 1:48pm On Dec 05, 2017
Bro, you shocked me when i see this your post, i thought US gov. is sending Nigerians back home ni fa, don't come yet please. let me come and tell you first how atmosphere are like here in Nija. Okay

3 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by BluFlyBoy: 1:53pm On Dec 05, 2017
The responses to this thread have been very negative. No I don’t have a green card. I’m working on one but the process has gotten very complicated that I’m just contemplating cutting my losses. The attitude on this thread is different from my high school friends who schooled here then went back. Most of them are positive, but some of them are more privileged than I do, so maybe they are not seeing the reality of the country.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by justwise(m): 1:57pm On Dec 05, 2017
@Pidgin2

Please don;t derail this thread, stop attacking those who advised the op, give your own view or let others express their views.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by blank(f): 3:55pm On Dec 05, 2017
@OP, can you explore moving to Australia or Canada? They have pretty decent entry requirements and the standards are similar to what you get in US.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by BluFlyBoy: 5:23pm On Dec 05, 2017
DisGuy:
$2000 should be enough for a solo 1-2 months holiday to see and feel the pulse of the country business and employment

Coming back would be a one way trip. I don’t yet have permanent resident status.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Beautyaddy: 6:06pm On Dec 05, 2017
BluFlyBoy:

Coming back would be a one way trip. I don’t yet have permanent resident status.
Hmmm.....After spending about 10 years in the US and you don't have a green card yet and you just want to return back to Nigeria just like that?

Not a good move.

17 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by DisGuy: 7:24pm On Dec 05, 2017
BluFlyBoy:

In that case, I'll strongly suggest you rekindle your networks especially your mates with privileged background

Stay around here NL (can be depressing I know) but really useful like any other social media tool to guage the pulse of the people/country.
Check relevant sections like Career-Especially old posts- not like used to be some few years ago- hint hint, Properties, Business and Travel.

blank:
@OP, can you explore moving to Australia or Canada? They have pretty decent entry requirements and the standards are similar to what you get in US.

and I'll also urge you to consider this very seriously !!!

7 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by DisGuy: 7:29pm On Dec 05, 2017
BluFlyBoy:
The responses to this thread have been very negative. No I don’t have a green card. I’m working on one but the process has gotten very complicated that I’m just contemplating cutting my losses. The attitude on this thread is different from my high school friends who schooled here then went back. Most of them are positive, but some of them are more privileged than I do, so maybe they are not seeing the reality of the country.

BSc + MBA + 2Years + Soft skills in abundance hopefully in 8 Year is not exactly what i'll class as a loss

3 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Nobody: 7:39pm On Dec 05, 2017
BluFlyBoy:

Please don’t come back. I am a lawyer here in naija and I am ready to stake all to leave this hellhole. From one brother to another, DO NOT come back. We might go to war soon sef because the citizens might go against themselves seeing that we have made a mistake being together as a nation for almost 6 decades.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 05, 2017
I know there's no place like home but when home isn't inhabitable you can find someplace else and call it home. Everyday thousands of people come into this country from all over the world to call this place home.
My job took me to Nigeria where I lived for two years before coming back to the US. Nigeria may not be as bad as western Media paints it to be, however it isn't a country I'd advise anybody to live in. Every part of the country is relatively messed up, morally bankrupt and irredeemably backward, with retrograded mindset set of people from a radicalized north to an extremely Christianized south. Corruption thrives in the Nigerian oxygen, every Nigerian seems to breathe it in without even knowing - thank goodness i didn't catch the bug... The system is broken beyond repair. Think about ur kids and how unfavorable the system would be to them. I have never seen a government so apathetic and nonchalant to the plight of her people. The life expectancy of the average Nigerian is very low compared to other western countries that's because people die from treatable illnesses due to a failed health care system, majority do not have access to good health care...
your savings in your 401k may allow you get a nice apartment in a middle-class area but remember that, that isn't the real Nigeria, the real Nigeria is outside your home, the society you interacts with, the deplorable roads you drive on when you go see a friend or relative that lives on the other side of town, the corrupt judicial system where the word justice is nothing but a farce, the society your kids interacts with - i could go on and on - unless you wanna live in a gated neighborhood with zero interaction with the outside world then discard this advise. If you are looking for more money investing in the country is a good idea but living in it is not. you can invest from here, you don't have to relocate.
Think it through thoroughly sleep on it over and over again to avoid taking a decision you will regret for the rest of your life.

74 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by AngelicBeing: 10:18pm On Dec 05, 2017
iRyan:
I know there's no place like home but when home isn't inhabitable you can find someplace else and call it home. Everyday thousands of people come into this country from all over the world to call this place home.
My job took me to Nigeria where I lived for two years before coming back to the US. Nigeria may not be as bad as western Media paints it to be, however it isn't a country I'd advise anybody to live in. Every part of the country is relatively messed up, morally bankrupt and irredeemably backward, with retrograded mindset set of people from a radicalized north to an extremely Christianized south. Corruption thrives in the Nigerian oxygen, every Nigerian seems to breathe it in without even knowing - thank goodness i didn't catch the bug... The system is broken beyond repair. Think about ur kids and how unfavorable the system would be to them. I have never seen a government so apathetic and nonchalant to the plight of her people. The life expectancy of the average Nigerian is very low compared to other western countries that's because people die from treatable illnesses due to a failed health care system, majority do not have access to good health care...
your savings in your 401k may allow you get a nice apartment in a middle-class area but remember that, that isn't the real Nigeria, the real Nigeria is outside your home, the society you interacts with, the deplorable roads you drive on when you go see a friend or relative that lives on the other side of town, the corrupt judicial system where the word justice is nothing but a farce, the society your kids interacts with - i could go on and on - unless you wanna live in a gated neighborhood with zero interaction with the outside world then discard this advise. If you are looking for more money investing in the country is a good idea but living in it is not. you can invest from here, you don't have to relocate.
Think it through thoroughly sleep on it over and over again to avoid taking a decision you will regret for the rest of your life.
1000 likes, I currently live outside Nigeria as well but I do visit from time to time, you have aptly captured the jungle called Nigeria, 2 of my friends have similar profile like the Op, one lived in Norway and the other one in the US, they both called me years back about their decision to move back to Nigeria because of lack of residency issue in their respective countries, l warned them not to go back to permanently live in Nigeria but to stay put in their respective countries, to cut my narrative short, they ignored my advice and relocated back to Nigeria, as I post this, they are suffering in Nigeria, they arrived Nigeria with enough cash, chains of degrees and professional certification but all the places they applied for jobs, none worked, is either they are offered slave wage or told they will get back to them, I feel for them but I warned them before they went back to Nigeria but they ignored, at Op, I will advise you to remain in the US because we have so many foreign trained Nigerians with your kind of profiles suffering due to lack of jobs, the job market is saturated, most companies prefer to employ ND or school certificate holders and pay them 30,000naira or less than a sound foreign trained Nigeria, although there is exemption to every rule.. I will not advice you to go back to that useless dead rotten jungle called Nigeria, l travel to Nigeria atleast once or twice yearly, no difference, it is the same bulshit all over the country, few people who are making it are either connected to the government or politicians, Nigeria is a dead country, l am only a visitor to the jungle because of my family members, I can never ever live in that useless jungle called Nigeria, the decision and choice is yours sad

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 05, 2017
AngelicBeing:
1000 likes, I currently live outside Nigeria as well but I do visit from time to time, you have aptly captured the jungle called Nigeria, 2 of my friends have similar profile like the Op, one lived in Norway and the other one in the US, they both called me years back about their decision to move back to Nigeria because of lack of residency issue in their respective countries, l warned them not to go back to permanently live in Nigeria but to stay put in their respective countries, to cut my narrative short, they ignored my advice and relocated back to Nigeria, as I post this, they are suffering in Nigeria, they arrived Nigeria with enough cash, chains of degrees and professional certification but all the places they applied for jobs, none worked, is either they are offered slave wage or told they will get back to them, I feel for them but I warned them before they went back to Nigeria but they ignored, at Op, I will advise you to remain in the US because we have so many foreign trained Nigerians with your kind of profiles suffering due to lack of jobs, the job market is saturated, most companies prefer to employ ND or school certificate holders and pay them 30,000naira or less than a sound foreign trained Nigeria, although there is exemption to every rule.. I will not advice you to go back to that useless dead rotten jungle called Nigeria, l travel to Nigeria atleast once or twice yearly, no difference, it is the same bulshit all over the country, few people who are making it are either connected to the government or politicians, Nigeria is a dead country, l am only a visitor to the jungle because of my family members, I can never ever live in that useless jungle called Nigeria, the decision and choice is yours sad
easy with the diatribe lol... The situation of the country saddens me. Nigeria is my fatherland but I can't say I'm proud to call it my home.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by AngelicBeing: 10:41pm On Dec 05, 2017
iRyan:
easy with the diatribe lol... The situation of the country saddens me. Nigeria is my fatherland but I can't say I'm proud to call it my home.
Sorry if my choice of words come off to you as offensive, I am saying it the way it is, apart from the two guys l mentioned in my post, I can count the number of friends, classmates and few family friends who moved back to Nigeria and the system crippled them, Nigeria kills destiny, well, I have made my point, it is up to the Op to sieve through the advices given already, l have no apologies, Nigeria is a dead jungle Qed sad

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by BluFlyBoy: 10:43pm On Dec 05, 2017
AngelicBeing:

I wanted to avoid falling into illegal status here in the states. But the description you've given is making me reconsider. I'm pained and at a loss of what to do, but it looks like staying here is the right thing to do for now.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by AngelicBeing: 10:56pm On Dec 05, 2017
Double post

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by AngelicBeing: 10:56pm On Dec 05, 2017
BluFlyBoy:

I wanted to avoid falling into illegal status here in the states. But the description you've given is making me reconsider. I'm pained and at a loss of what to do, but it looks like staying here is the right thing to do for now.
If you love yourself, stay in the US, l was in Nigeria recently for visit and I wept at what I saw, the hunger is real, frustration, depression and confusion all over the country, it is far better for you to stay put in the US or arrive and move to Australia or Canada if possible but to come and settle in a jungle, l will not advice you to because the 30,000 dollars you think is a big money is about 9million Naira and that is a peanut that will disappear once you factor all the expenses waiting to drain that money ranging from food, petrol to fuel your generator, rent, good medical care, car and maintenance due to bad roads etc another of my friend just relocated back to England, he was a Doctor and decided to come back to settle down in Nigeria, he has moved back to England with his family, he called me recently and say he is glad to be back to England again because the Nigerian system choked and killed him completely, he said and I quote, Living in Nigeria is like you take a fish from the ocean to live on land, I laughed at all he said but it was the truth, luckily for him he has gotten another job with a hospital in England, so think well before you make a mistake that you will later regret wink

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by AngelicBeing: 11:13pm On Dec 05, 2017
Alcatraz005:

Please don’t come back. I am a lawyer here in naija and I am ready to stake all to leave this hellhole. From one brother to another, DO NOT come back. We might go to war soon sef because the citizens might go against themselves seeing that we have made a mistake being together as a nation for almost 6 decades.
Hahaha, this post cracked my ribs, Lol at we might soon go to war, l totally agree with you, whenever I arrive Nigeria, right from Muritala international airport, you will know that you have arrived hell, what a country grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Nigeriadondie: 11:36pm On Dec 05, 2017
Pidgin2:

Abuja is not the only state where he can get soft landing, I live in Lagos and have averagely 20hrs light daily plus neat environ e bi like say u no dry com home often. In fact, many more States are easier to live in and more quiet than Abuja
Aw so d light na 20 hrs no longer 22 hrs.
Chai u can lie far more than Lai Mohammed.
I hope all parts of the country ve regular light for up to 20hrs from 22 hrs before as u claimed.

15 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Beautyaddy: 11:53pm On Dec 05, 2017
BluFlyBoy:

Hmmm...that won't be a good idea too.

I'm still not getting it how you weren't able to obtain your parmanent residency in the US after investing all those years you lived there? Either way, you might wanna try Canada or even Australia as some already suggested.

I believe those countries have visa programs to enable you obtain permanent resident easily unlike the US for now.

4 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by klexycole(m): 12:04am On Dec 06, 2017
Hmmm... These comments make me sad. embarassed

My little advice to the OP... Canada Express Entry (checkout the thread in the travel section for more details).

May GOD ease your affairs for you. smiley

12 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by stacyadams: 12:16am On Dec 06, 2017
grin grin how did we get here ?

6 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by klexycole(m): 12:28am On Dec 06, 2017
stacyadams:
grin grin how did we get here ?

Still wondering baba. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by londoner: 12:48am On Dec 06, 2017
Pidgin2:

Abuja is not the only state where he can get soft landing, I live in Lagos and have averagely 20hrs light daily plus neat environ e bi like say u no dry com home often. In fact, many more States are easier to live in and more quiet than Abuja

Yes, other states are quiet but I think the best places that will give a comparable 'western or cosmopolitan feel is Lagos and Abuja. Abuja is preferred as a transitional place imho and by the way I was there earlier in the year.

I do visit Nigeria (Abuja) and because I am born and raised outside Abuja is the best place to at least start off. It's not just about electricity either it's the whole day to day culture of a place. If you live in the right place in Abuja it is very quiet, in fact that is one consistent complaint Lagosians have about Abuja. You can still have a vibrant business and professional life in a quiet, sane and family friendly environment in Abuja imho.

Lagos will always be Lagos with all the good and wahala it brings. Even if you live in a quiet area you are likely to encounter the Lagos ' gra- gra' on a regular basis. Even taking the traffic issue alone. Even if Lagos is the OPs final destination he needs to be eased in.

The amount of people I have met in Abuja who are resident in Lagos but feel they need to go on weekends to Abuja just to get some peace and tranquility is quite alarming.

@OP you need to think of ways to make your money work for you. Try and think a little outside the box.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40)

Visa-free Countries For Nigerian Citizens / Visa Requirements For Dubai? / Mauritius Study And Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.