Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,956 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids (22093 Views)

HIV Epidemic On Lekki/Ajah Island - Kemi Olunloyo / World AIDS Day 2021 Message From UNAIDS Executive Director, Winnie Byanyima / UNICEF- South West Has Second Highest Number Of Stunted Children In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Livefreeordieha(m): 6:52am On Dec 05, 2017
nony43:
Condom na 100 box, yet some people still want skin to skin, I have noticed that ladies prefer skin to skin a lot
really na still 100box? So APC nor affect am? But how are we even sure people don't even use again sef but that it's fake courtesy of our developers..It's not an isolated accusation Though..

It's terrible though...Nigeria is the only poor oil producing country in the world...there are countries condoms are free...You get different flavors and different lubricants for free..

But na country wey nor fit celebrate 12hrs supply wan share condom..Huh�
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Vado(m): 6:53am On Dec 05, 2017
The way we are obsessed with sex in this country sef, you'd know this report is not invalid. This forum alone is an extension of the wider environment, na soso sex talks all the time. angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Asebaba1(m): 6:53am On Dec 05, 2017
I disagree with this, why is it that anything negative is always pointed to Nigeria? I know over a thousand person but none of the have been tested, so how do they get their statistics? They just mentioned it to get money from overseas to support NGO's.
edunwablog:

The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) has reported that Nigeria purportedly has the second largest HIV epidemic in the world and has one of the highest new infection rates in sub-Saharan Africa.

This is just as it said 720,000 Nigerians are on United States PEPFAR-supported HIV treatment with approximately four million Nigerians having received HIV counseling and testing services in 2017 alone.
The acting Public Affairs Officer of the United States Consulate, Kevin Krapf, made this disclosure during the commemoration of the 2017 World AIDS day held in Lagos.

The commemoration was organised by the consulate in collaboration with the Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM) led by the Provost, Professor Babatunde Solagberu.
With the programmed theme: ‘Increasing Impact through Transparency, Accountability and Partnerships’, Krapf said it reflects the US government longstanding leadership in addressing global HIV/AIDS, increasing our impact to move epidemics from crisis toward control.

He said: “It also highlights the historic opportunity to accelerate progress toward controlling, and ultimately ending the HIV/AIDS epidemic as a public health threat in countries around the world.
“Finally, it emphasises the critical role of transparency, accountability, and partnerships in reaching these goals.

“According to the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), Nigeria has the second largest HIV epidemic in the world and has one of the highest new infection rates in sub-Saharan Africa.
“Many people living with HIV in Nigeria are unaware of their status due to insufficient recommended number of HIV testing and counselling centres.

“Low access of antiretroviral treatment remains an issue for people living with HIV in Nigeria, and I welcome the new commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to use domestic funds to provide antiretroviral drugs to an additional 50,000 people living with HIV each year.
“The US government, through PEPFAR, has helped not only to save and improve millions of lives, but also transformed the global HIV/AIDS response.

“Currently, more than 720,000 Nigerians are on PEPFAR-supported HIV treatment and approximately four million Nigerians have received HIV counselling and testing services in 2017.
“Also, approximately 50,000 pregnant women have received antiretroviral drugs to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV.” Krapf added: “We are at an unprecedented moment in the global HIV/AIDS response. For the first time in modern history, we have the opportunity to change the very course of a pandemic by controlling it without a vaccine or a cure.

“Controlling the pandemic will lay the groundwork for eliminating or eradicating HIV which we hope will be possible through the future scientific breakthroughs which will lead to an effective HIV vaccine and cure.
“The US government continues to lead the way in the global HIV/AIDS response. But no one country or entity alone can end the AIDS pandemic.
“We are proud to partner governments, the private sector, philanthropic organisations, multilateral institutions, academic institutions, civil society and faith-based organisations, people living with HIV and many others in this project.

“Through this collective effort, we also expect to reduce the future costs required to sustain the HIV/AIDS response.”
It further said: “To accelerate progress toward HIV/AIDS epidemic control, PEPFAR continues to leverage the capabilities, assets, and technological know-how of the private sector, creating innovative solutions to complex problems.”

While thanking the Lagos State AIDS Control Agency for conducting a state-wide aggressive campaign, counselling and HIV/AIDS testing through its mobile clinic initiative, Krapf said their​determination to ensure a zero prevalence of HIV in the state aligns with the strategic plan of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief.
He also commended the Society for Family Health for providing quality health services to Nigerians, particularly the poor and vulnerable.

more details at http://www.akelicious.com/2017/12/nigeria-has-second-largest-hiv-epidemic.html
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Nobody: 6:54am On Dec 05, 2017
And some 1mbeciles were busy persecuting Dr Abalaka
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by djbussy(m): 6:56am On Dec 05, 2017
You watin all these slay mama's abi na Ashana don cause for Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 05, 2017
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by SalamRushdie: 7:07am On Dec 05, 2017
TEYA:
This report is false and alarmist. The hiv/aids industry is a booming industry for the NGO business in Nigeria. What other way can they get cheap funds other than telling us Nigeria is one of the highest ranking countries in his prevalence. NGOs can be disgusting! Making fortunes off the misery of others.

Keep quiet 99 percent of sexually active Nigerians mive around with a cocktail of STDS yet you think that this HIV report is a lie .Man dont decieve yourself please

I always laugh when Nigerians refer to Kenyans as HIV bags while in reality people should be more scared of sleeping with Nigerians than any other people on the planet

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by omooajisnooni: 7:08am On Dec 05, 2017
Is this actually true? Na total abstinence is the answer now oo if u never marry.

in other news, Adron homes lemon Friday promo is here again. Buy a plot of land and enjoy 25% discount on all our lands in Shimawa, Ikorodu, Ibeju Lekki, Atan Ota, Ibadan and Abuja. for more information contact 08034309506 or WhatsApp
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by abdeiz(m): 7:15am On Dec 05, 2017
Why am I not surprised when people still think that HIV ain't real, having unprotected sex and using salt and water immediately to dispel any chance of pregnancy. as long as we have people still living in the stone ages ...common awareness would go a long way but in such a conservative country..nah...very stubborn set of people

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by poseidon12: 7:20am On Dec 05, 2017
TEYA:
This report is false and alarmist. The hiv/aids industry is a booming industry for the NGO business in Nigeria. What other way can they get cheap funds other than telling us Nigeria is one of the highest ranking countries in his prevalence. NGOs can be disgusting! Making fortunes off the misery of others.

As you go about disbelieving the statistics, I hope you practice safe sex. Better to err on the side of safety. Aids has no cure. Once you catch it, you are screwed for life.
With the way Nigerians screw around carelessly, unprotected, I would have been surprised if Nigeria did not rank up there.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by poseidon12: 7:25am On Dec 05, 2017
michael142:
I done already vow never to fall olosho again from 2018 sha

So you have to wait until 2018? Just hope you are safe till then. Better go test yourself.
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Tonytonex(m): 7:26am On Dec 05, 2017
nony43:
Condom na 100 box, yet some people still want skin to skin, I have noticed that ladies prefer skin to skin a lot
WHY? IT SUPPOSED TO BE THE OTHER WAY ROUND.
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Foxrain: 7:27am On Dec 05, 2017
TEYA:
Shut up your mouth, have you gone to the HIV unit in government hospitals ,go and see for yourself!
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Foxrain: 7:30am On Dec 05, 2017
obowunmi:
Its the largest because Nigeria is the most populous. It only makes sense.
China has over a billion people but they are not among the top 40 countries with HIV prevalence.
Stop making rubbish excuses .

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by poseidon12: 7:31am On Dec 05, 2017
obowunmi:
Its the largest because Nigeria is the most populous. It only makes sense.

Nigeria the most populous? Are you sure? Nigeria is not more populous than China, India, USA, Indonesia.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by chibuzorAbia: 7:32am On Dec 05, 2017
Foxrain:

Shut up your mouth, have you gone to the HIV unit in government hospitals ,go and see for yourself!

Give me an example, I want to see for myself please.
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Foxrain: 7:36am On Dec 05, 2017
chibuzorAbia:

Give me an example, I want to see for myself please.
Many people in Nigeria are living with HIV, more than 3 million people. This is an epidemic!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by poseidon12: 7:39am On Dec 05, 2017
Quality20:
Ya Allah we adore You and seek Your assistance, may this evil man made HIV disease stay only with Your disobedient servant who are given to formication and adultery, may it not affect Your righteous servants who guard their chastity and try to keep Your commandments.

I hope you are aware that HIV/AIDS is not only gotten through sex but can also be gotten through blood transfusion or any act that leads to exchange of body fluids.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by hanassholesolo: 7:50am On Dec 05, 2017
TaiKuun:
Of over 80 countries that I know, how can Nigeria be the second most infected country with HIV in the world. I wonder if these people farabale before they start making hasty announcements.

Alot of organisations have been saying this for a while now, i'm tempted to believe them since UN also confirmed it but what did you expect? Buhari has eliminated 50% of middle class in this country forcing the lower and most middle class to do unimaginable things for money - most especially the women. Why do you think slay'ism is on this rise this period? Some ladies now believe that it is easier to sell their body than try to get legitimate work (and they are right) It's now easier for a cow to speak English than for the average Nigerian to get a job. Idleness and poverty led to this.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by blu3tooth(m): 7:54am On Dec 05, 2017
Evaberry:

A moment of prayers for the corpers serving in benue state

The state known for HIV and promiscuity. my heart goes out to you all and I hope you don't leave your ppa with the gift of hiv

I strongly disagree with you.
I served in Benue State 2015/16 and did some bleeping. December 2016, and July 2017 I did my test and both are negative.
The concept of people saying Benue has the highest number of HIV infected people are wrong.
Most people from neighbouring states (especially Nasarawa and Taraba state) do come to benue for their ARVs and by so, its being recorded that the state (benue) has tested and distributed so and so amount of ARVs. Besides, Benue state is no longer on the first 10 states with highest population of HIV infected persons. Rivers, Taraba, Ondo, Edo, Kaduna, Akwa Ibom, Ekiti,... Are ahead of Benue now.

The people who carry these rumors have never been there to make their findings to be sure.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by UncleJudax(m): 7:54am On Dec 05, 2017
NokiaN8:
It is well! pastors and Imams don't encourage wedding outside the blessing of God. preach virginity, a lady should keep her self, a man should keep himself. Campuses standards of Morals should be increased, it should be noted, parents should also be always accessible to listen to their children, indecent dressings should be discouraged, especially ladies this days. Mothers must work on their daughters, Indecent cloths must stop, Government should set up a task force to arrest, lockup any1 found indecently dressed. And Young girls an advise, if you doing Facebook, Instagram, demanding for money, you are postitutes. Greediness, shamelessness, adultery, you are wasting your future, a word is enough for the wise!
Lock people Up for indecent Dressing? How old are you, 10 or 90?

The HIV prevelance in The West, where women can even wear a G_String and a Bra ist lower than in Afrika

Does indecent clothing transmit HIV?

Na Just yeye Talk you spew so. The Economy ist harsh, whether indencently Dressed or Not, WHO Go sell her Body Go sell am

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by omoseth(m): 8:05am On Dec 05, 2017
Quite scary. Bulk of the problem still fall on the populace not the govt cz no matter the rate of awareness being created by govt,NGOs etc.some will still prefer unprotected sex. Just go out and sample opinions of some people on the issue of condom, you will be amazed by the kind of responses you will get even from the educated ones especially from some ladies. Fear go catch u!.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Nobody: 8:10am On Dec 05, 2017
princeade86:
good. there is no safety at all in every area in this country. even citizenship can't protect themselves with condom
how many people use that nylon called condom.. no safety true but people are ignorant of the fact its very important to use it
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by bettercreature(m): 8:10am On Dec 05, 2017
matuskyoo7:
This is terrible
Its false report really, it's just that Nigeria con artist are inflating the number of people living with HIV to get more fund from UNAIDS.
If you see how rich this people are, you will start wondering if these international organization are fool
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 05, 2017
Foxrain:

China has over a billion people but they are not among the top 40 countries with HIV prevalence.
Stop making rubbish excuses .
because they are balance upstairs and true to themselves.. what is there I have HIV use condom but in Nigeria Its a lie..they will gibe u finish b4 u know
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by nonut: 8:22am On Dec 05, 2017
Livefreeordieha:
it was just a matter of time...Nigerians had it coming too bad...Frustration,illiteracy,abject poverty that drastically increased the last 30months...,and incessant use of drugs...Drugs are inhibitors...Especially when used not for recreational purposes..

So when you use drugs as a result of all the aforementioned factors,you are bound to be reckless not thinking clearly and engage in multiple unprotected sex..No distressed society can survive without such things plaguing it...

When i saw the rate of drug abuse in 2015..I could only imagine and project this day...Especially girls...Some girls don't even remember who they slept with where and when because they are always stoned and hoppin from one hotel to the other just if they can get high..

In lekki,ajah and festac they have a group of girls called SK girls those ones appear normal but they are far from normal
..Their handbags is always fitted with 2grams of Sk and 2bottles of codeine..Steady..They are always having slurred speech and body odored because no shower as a result of the oblivion state constantly..

Most times they don't even remember what day it is..It saddens me because most of them were supposed to never have ended up like that..The guys are taking advantage of them from yahoo money they abuse them, this girls are constantly bleeped for weeks and passed around hotel rooms and they wouldn't even know because they are helplessly high.

Apart from illiteracy and poverty...Ignorance is another factor,because there are some people who believe HIV as it were isn't real...Atleast in 2015 when i was home someone still told me that and it left me in total dismay...The guy said na oyinbo sickness bros dem wan use am kill Us...He even said that is because i live abroad that i was afraid that in Nigeria nobody is afraid of it..I almost mutated into Superman and fly away ���

It's not like nigerian women obey their chemistry and possess high libido..So i don't see any reason why HIV should be prevalent i stand to be challenged...Our women are the most rigid and conservative sexually in the world..That is why after spending thousands on a random girl and she ends up in your room,she will still be asking you what do you want from me?

So if you bear this facts in mind,it would be almost impossible to phantom the reason of HIV prevalence without penning down my aforementioned factors..

Like south African countries that was the highest before in Africa we all knew it was because of alcohol,reckless sex and drugs..But we all know their women are slide to unlock when it comes to sex...0-100 in 5secs their libido has no rival.

Well before i bore you guys...The solution is 2019...Let's get a youthful leader forget all this old cargoes please...Let's make us the happy people once more...We can't be plagued with SARS,corruption,terrorism and now HIV...Please lets choose one struggle at a time...

#shalom#livefree or diehard!
I was almost in tears when I read your story about the SK girls. I've got some of them in my area. They're always buying codeine and a few weeks ago, one of them died due to drug overdose.
Looks like they mixed Roche, tramadol and codeine together for her. They left her barely breathing and the hotel staff found her and rushed her to the hospital, but she died an hour later.
I still don't understand why someone would take a tranquilliser for recreational purposes.
It beats me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 05, 2017
its too late to fail Amen!
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Nobody: 8:27am On Dec 05, 2017
poseidon12:

So you have to wait until 2018? Just hope you are safe till then. Better go test yourself.

Abeg fly comot here
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Nobody: 8:28am On Dec 05, 2017
[quote author=BornAgainMay post=62989731][/quote]

You ehn, you be bad guy oh
Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by Livefreeordieha(m): 8:51am On Dec 05, 2017
nonut:

I was almost in tears when I read your story about the SK girls. I've got some of them in my area. They're always buying codeine and a few weeks ago, one of them died due to drug overdose.
Looks like they mixed Roche, tramadol and codeine together for her. They left her barely breathing and the hotel staff found her and rushed her to the hospital, but she died an hour later.
I still don't understand why someone would take a tranquilliser for recreational purposes.
It beats me.
trust me bro I'm an old gee...I have seen the best of both worlds...If only walls could talk...

Like i said i understand what is going on in the society...The problem is it isn't suppose to be us...Our women used to be different even those days growing up we normally go somewhere to get drunk first before driving to pick up our girls..

Nowadays if u don't drink it might even be impossible for u to tag along...Don't worry drugs shows u are a flyboy..

Last time i was in Nigeria benylin was around 1500 now someone told me last week it's about 4k...And people need several bottles to get high and no job
..Tell me why there wud be no prostitution and crime.

Nonetheless bro..
Don't blame the pot cooking the chicken blame the knife that killed it...

In this context the knife is Government and parents..

I already lost friends to overdose of drugs atleast 7 or so..I studied at iuo okada and it wasn't a big deal..Roche was like vitamin c...The alias then was even baba blue...

It was in the last 8years the situation started and it deteriorated since 2014...

People now use psychiatric pills,anti inflammatory and sedative pills mixed with SK for fun..

Many people are already walking corpse....

I like to always relax and enjoy my time with friends crack jokes and yabbb...But the last time what i saw in Nigeria still hunts me...Our girls are gone...At pubs /pools and all hangouts it's a mess what you see...I swear brother..I remember those days where i still trick girls to drink Gordon spark..Just to get them tipsy so i can yab them and see their funny side when dancing and yabbing...

Today brother u can't even get any girl high again with alcohol is controlled substances or nothing..

ThankGod i have no younger sister there and My daughter is with me here..
Because if we don't fix our economy to engage this people it will get out of hand beyond repair...We will even loose our work force...Just like South Africa and some European countries..To drug abuse and reckless sex.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has Second Largest HIV Epidemic Worldwide:unaids by adadike281(f): 8:53am On Dec 05, 2017
Evaberry:

A moment of prayers for the corpers serving in benue state

The state known for HIV and promiscuity. my heart goes out to you all and I hope you don't leave your ppa with the gift of hiv
Forget Benue my sister, the core north are d real culprits. They don't know what condom is , they marry so many wives, divorce and marry again. They are good in using unsterilized equipments and razor blades and worst , they don't go for test. Sorry to say this, but a town Fulani man fell sick and was rushed to d Hosp where I work, series of test was done and he was confirmed to be HIV positive, his 4 wives visited him and we decided to test them and placed them on Anti retroviral , this Fulani man bluntly refused

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dr. Ugo Anieto Discovers ANIETOCIN (Antibiotic For Drug Resistant Infections) / Lady Gets Twitter Excited After Sharing False Story About Her Friend Getting HIV / I'm Losing my eye Vision .. Eye Medical Professionals Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.