Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,635 members, 7,801,833 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) (2376 Views)

Not All Pastors Are Fake Or Depend On Tithes For Survival / Exposition On Tithes, Offering And Firstfruits By Dr Mensah Otabil / Pastor E.A Adeboye Reacts To Daddy Freeze's Comments On Tithes (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by Loveaflame(m): 6:54pm On Dec 05, 2017
I want to use this time to give a humble Bible reply to his beliefs because it seems so many believers have been carried away by his oratory prowess in convincing people to believe his personal opinions of The Bible concerning tithes and some other issues. While he made some valid points, he also made some errors in trying to explain certain issues which show the level of his spirituality in the things of God’s Word.
The second reason I am replying him is because of the so many believers who have become confused as to the issue of tithes and some have even been convinced not to pay again because of the way he proved his points with The Scriptures he doesn’t fully understand. I am writing as a Bible addict who have taken the pain and time to listen to his points several times and studied The Bible to prove some of his points were off tangent. We should avoid personal sentiment when interpreting The Bible and it should be done by the help of the Holy Spirit and not by intellects. Like I said, he made some valid points and he made some errors to.

Let’s take a look at some of the points he raised and addressed them with The Scriptures. I am going to address the 11 MAJOR POINTS he raised.

1. MALACHI 3 IS REFERRING TO THE PRIESTS ALONE ABOUT TITHES
2. HIS STANCE ON DEUTERONOMY 14:22-26
3. IF YOU PAY TITHE YOU ARE A GOAT
4. NO NIGERIAN PASTOR IS A LEVITE AND THEREFORE SHOULD NOT RECEIVE TITHES FROM PEOPLE
5. PASTORS IN NIGERIA ARE SITTING OVER NATIONS AND ARE RECEIVING TITHES FROM 80 MILLION NIGERIANS
6. PASTORS ARE USING TITHES MONEY TO BUILD SCHOOLS
7. PEOPLE SHOULD NOT DONATE TO CHURCH BUILDING
8. THE CATHOLICS AND OTHER ORTHODOX CHURCHES ARE THE ONES PRACTISING THE BIBLE AND NOT THE PENTECOSTALS
9. THE WAY TO HEAVEN IS THROUGH CHARITY
10. PAY YOUR TITHES TO THE POOR
11. THE CHURCH IS NOT ABOUT FINANCE BUT SALVATION

POINT 1: MALACHI 3 IS REFERRING TO THE PRIESTS ALONE ABOUT TITHES

I listened to this place over and over again as I watched the video and I was stunned at the level of His Bible knowledge.
The book of Malachi is an interesting book indeed. Let’s see The Scriptures if what he pointed at is the absolute truth.

MALACHI 1:6-14 was a strong rebuke to the priests for offering imperfect sacrifices. God was not pleased with the offerings upon His altar because they were not the best they should have offered according to His commandment.

“6 The Lord Almighty says to the priests: “A son honors his father, and a servant respects his master. I am your father and master, but where are the honor and respect I deserve? You have despised my name! “But you ask, ‘How have we ever despised your name?’ 7 “YOU HAVE DESPISED MY NAME BY OFFERING DEFILED SACRIFICES ON MY ALTAR. “Then you ask, ‘How have we defiled the sacrifices?’ “You defile them by saying the altar of the Lord deserves no respect.
8 WHEN YOU GIVE BLIND ANIMALS AS SACRIFICES, ISN’T THAT WRONG? AND ISN’T IT WRONG TO OFFER ANIMALS THAT ARE CRIPPLED AND DISEASED? TRY GIVING GIFTS LIKE THAT TO YOUR GOVERNOR, AND SEE HOW PLEASED HE IS!” SAYS THE LORD ALMIGHTY.” Malachi 1:6-8

God was not talking about tithes here but the sacrifices that are expected from the priests to be given unto God. He deserves our best.
God went further in MALACHI 2:1-9, to curse the priests not just because they offered polluted offerings on His altar but for going astray from His ways and leading the people astray to. He reminded them about their ancestor Levite how he was a man of integrity and righteousness and turned many away from iniquity but these ones were leading people into iniquity.
The warnings here as nothing to do with tithes as he claimed in his speech.

“1 And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.
2 If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the Lord of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart. 3 Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it.
4 And ye shall know that I have sent this commandment unto you, that my covenant might be with Levi, saith the Lord of hosts. 5 My covenant was with him of life and peace; and I gave them to him for the fear wherewith he feared me, and was afraid before my name.
6 The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from iniquity.
7 For the priest’s lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts.
8 BUT YE ARE DEPARTED OUT OF THE WAY; YE HAVE CAUSED MANY TO STUMBLE AT THE LAW; YE HAVE CORRUPTED THE COVENANT OF LEVI, SAITH THE LORD OF HOSTS.
9 Therefore have I also made you contemptible and base before all the people, according as ye have not kept my ways, but have been partial in the law.”
Malachi 2:1-9
But from MALACHI 2:10-17, God now faced the people of Israel about their unfaithfulness to him and to their spouses. He was not happy with the kind of lives they lived and He did not regard their offerings because their lives were not right with Him.
MALACHI 3:1-6 spoke about the coming of Christ and the swift judgement upon the ungodly, the purification oh His people and how their offerings will become pleasant to Him again.
MALACHI 3:7-12, was addressed to the whole nation and not the priests as he claimed in his speech. Let’s look at verses 8-9,
“8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: FOR YE HAVE ROBBED ME, EVEN THIS WHOLE NATION.”

It is very clear that his assertion that God was talking to the priests in this place is not true. God was talking to the whole house of Israel. To further prove He was not referring to the priests verse 11 says,

“And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and HE SHALL NOT DESTROY THE FRUITS OF YOUR GROUND; NEITHER SHALL YOUR VINE CAST HER FRUIT BEFORE THE TIME IN THE FIELD, saith the Lord of hosts”

The priests were not working so how could the above be referring to them?
The Israelite were mostly agrarian. They were the ones God was talking to and not the priests. Not minding the unfaithfulness of the priests, God still wanted His people to obey His ordinances. Let me stop at this junction. My point here is to refute here that God was referring to the priests’ i.e the priests were the ones robbing God alone. The priests were not the one’s robbing God but the whole people of Israel. His assertions are therefore not true. If you’re a true Bible believer, then you should believe The Word as it is written and never has someone intends it to be.

1 Like

Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by Jochabed(f): 7:14pm On Dec 05, 2017
May God bless you.

1 Like

Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by femicyrus(m): 9:04pm On Dec 05, 2017
just imagine how much energy and time this man devoted to defend tithe. I wonder why Jesus and the 11 disciples and Paul never wasted their time on such. they are all after salvation which is freely given to people. now you are making people to pay and when they suddenly realize it was a scam, all energy is being devoted to ensure it continues while the main issue is being neglected. please read Galatians 5:1 and give me a feedback

2 Likes

Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by fellowman: 9:10pm On Dec 05, 2017
if you think tithe is right then come and debate me here

https://www.nairaland.com/4215508/tithing-not-eternal-principle
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by connectikut89(m): 3:08am On Dec 06, 2017
Loveaflame:

I want to use this time to give a humble Bible reply to his beliefs because it seems so many believers have been carried away by his oratory prowess in convincing people to believe his personal opinions of The Bible concerning tithes and some other issues.

Okay. You are obviously the one who is being carried away by the oratory prowess of your Pastors who can't defend a Jewish law that they want to sneak into Christianity because it profits their pockets. The Bible is clear concerning tithes, don't be dogmatic. I'll list two incontrovertible facts with scriptures. If you agree with them, then you'll see clearly that there is no way there can be tithing in modern day Christianity. If you disagree with them, come with scriptures and facts. If you cannot refute them, then your teaching on tithes is invalid.

Fact #1
There has been money/currency since the time of Abraham down to this present day in the land of Israel.

Genesis 23:16 NKJV - "And Abraham listened to Ephron; and Abraham weighed out the silver for Ephron which he had named in the hearing of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, currency of the merchants."

Numbers 3:47 NKJV - "you shall take five shekels for each one individually; you shall take them in the currency of the shekel of the sanctuary, the shekel of twenty gerahs."

There are a hundred and one other bible verses that mention shekels of silver in use in the early days. So the fact remains that money was in use during the time of our early fathers. Transactions were ongoing in full force as the Bible records that there were merchants in those days.

Fact #2: God was clear and specific about tithes. Tithes was never money but food in form of crops or animals

Let's compare two verses in the book of Leviticus.
1. Leviticus 5:15 NKJV - “If a person commits a trespass, and sins unintentionally in regard to the holy things of the Lord, then he shall bring to the Lord as his trespass offering a ram without blemish from the flocks, with your valuation in shekels of silver according to the shekel of the sanctuary, as a trespass offering."
Notice here that Trespass offering = Ram without blemish + shekels of silver. This law came before the law of tithing and money is explicitly mentioned as a requirement. Now let's see if money was mentioned in the command of tithing according to the next verse from the same book of Leviticus.

2. Leviticus 27:30‭-‬33 NKJV - "And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s. It is holy to the Lord. If a man wants at all to redeem any of his tithes, he shall add one-fifth to it. And concerning the tithe of the herd or the flock, of whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the Lord. He shall not inquire whether it is good or bad, nor shall he exchange it; and if he exchanges it at all, then both it and the one exchanged for it shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.’”
Wow! No mention of 'shekels of silver'? Why? Not even one shekel? This can't be true. Sorry but that's not what God required for tithes. He wanted only food, whether grains or livestock and never money. But you can prove me wrong and show me where tithes was given as money. Don't bother quoting Deuteronomy 14:22-26, it would be an epic fail for you.

The priests were not the one’s robbing God but the whole people of Israel. His assertions are therefore not true. If you’re a true Bible believer, then you should believe The Word as it is written and never has someone intends it to be.

The Priests were the ones robbing God. The people were bringing their tithes of grain and livestock but the Priests were not giving the Levites their due portion as they were diverting(stealing or robbing) them. I can prove this to you whenever you're ready. It's a comprehensive topic on its own

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by petra1(m): 7:50am On Dec 06, 2017
Loveaflame:

MALACHI 3:7-12, was addressed to the whole nation and not the priests as he claimed in his speech. Let’s look at verses 8-9,
“8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: FOR YE HAVE ROBBED ME, EVEN THIS WHOLE NATION.”

God bless you. It's appalling how far non givers will go to desecrate scriptures just to excuse their conscience .

Malachi 3:8 (KJV)
Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me.
But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee?
In tithes and offerings.

Daddy freeze fed on the gullibility of Nigerians . There are so gullible that they didn't bother to scrutinize his lie.
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by Loveaflame(m): 11:03am On Dec 06, 2017
MY HUMBLE REPLY TO MR FREEZE’S BELIEFS ON TITHES AND OTHER ISSUES HE RAISED PART 2

POINT 2: HIS STANCE ON DEUTERONOMY 14:22-26

He claimed from here that tithe should be eaten by the people or used to cater for the poor. He argued brilliantly with his points. He further went and claimed the people were to bring tithes to the priests once in three years. The yearly tithes were to be eaten by the people and given to the poor as well. With this he said,

“How did tithe once in three years became a monthly thing today?”

The first thing I want to point out here is, he has no understanding there are three different types of tithes mentioned in the Old Testament. His strong emphasis on Deuteronomy 14:22-26 was really perplexing to me. Let’s look at the three types of tithes in The Old Testament.

1.THE LEVITICAL, OR SACRED TITHE, Numbers 18:21-24

“21 And, behold, I HAVE GIVEN THE CHILDREN OF LEVI ALL THE TENTH IN ISRAEL FOR AN INHERITANCE, FOR THEIR SERVICE WHICH THEY SERVE, EVEN THE SERVICE OF THE TABERNACLE OF THE CONGREGATION.
22 Neither must the children of Israel henceforth come nigh the tabernacle of the congregation, lest they bear sin, and die.
23 But the Levites shall do the service of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they shall bear their iniquity: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations, that among the children of Israel they have no inheritance.
24 BUT THE TITHES OF THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL, WHICH THEY OFFER AS AN HEAVE OFFERING UNTO THE LORD, I HAVE GIVEN TO THE LEVITES TO INHERIT: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.” Numbers 18:21-24

I believe the above Scriptures are very clear. The first tithe mentioned in the Bible was traced back to Abraham (Gen. 14:18-20, I will talk more on this later), is the sacred tithe, given to the Levites and priests for their service to the temple and the congregation in the Old Testament. This is the tithe we continue to give under the priesthood of Melchizedek in the New Testament. It is the tithe consecrated to God and the furtherance of the Gospel and has, therefore, validity for all believers in Christ.

The Israelites were to give tithes unto the Levites as they have been chosen to serve God in the tabernacle. They were not given inheritance in the land. They lived on tithes. The Levites who served God in the Temple were in-turn to pay the tithe of tithes to the High Priest as well. Numbers 18:25-32

If Mr Freeze claimed the tithes were given to them once in three years, how were they to survive for the remaining years? His reasoning is illogical. You can also read Levitical 10:30, Nehemiah 13:12-13, 2 Chronicles 31:11-12 for better understanding of the kind of tithe.

2. THE TITHE OF THE FEASTS, Deuteronomy 14:22-27

“22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth YEAR BY YEAR.
23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.
24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee:
25 then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose:
26 AND THOU SHALT BESTOW THAT MONEY FOR WHATSOEVER THY SOUL LUSTETH AFTER, FOR OXEN, OR FOR SHEEP, OR FOR WINE, OR FOR STRONG DRINK, OR FOR WHATSOEVER THY SOUL DESIRETH: AND THOU SHALT EAT THERE BEFORE THE LORD THY GOD, AND THOU SHALT REJOICE, THOU, AND THINE HOUSEHOLD,
27 and THE LEVITE THAT IS WITHIN THY GATES; THOU SHALT NOT FORSAKE HIM; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.” Deuteronomy 14:23-27

The second tithe had an entirely different aspect. Israel had something that resembles a religious gathering. The Levitical law required that a Jew had to go up to Jerusalem on certain occasions.

In reality this religious ordinance included a definite social provision, periods of vacation for the family, and how should the head of the household provide for the vacation expense? By setting aside a second tithe, the one described in the above verses, the tithe for the feasts. Thus the second tithe was dedicated to the good of man himself, for a vacation and specifically, a vacation with a religious purpose, such as going to camp meeting.

3. THE TITHE FOR THE POOR, Deuteronomy 14:28-29

“28 AT THE END OF THREE YEARS thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
29 AND THE LEVITE, (BECAUSE HE HATH NO PART NOR INHERITANCE WITH THEE,) AND THE STRANGER, AND THE FATHERLESS, AND THE WIDOW, WHICH ARE WITHIN THY GATES, SHALL COME, AND SHALL EAT AND BE SATISFIED; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.” Deuteronomy 14:28-29

The third tithe was the tithe for the poor. According to our text, this tithe was given once every three years. As the text states, the produce had to be laid up in "your towns" for the Levite, sojourner, fatherless, and the widow. It suggests that the distribution was not left to the individual but was a community project to which everybody had to contribute. This tithe, therefore, was for the less privilege.

Summarizing the three types of tithe in the Old Testament period we find a much broader concept of giving than we generally assume, giving that included first, God; second, man's own physical and spiritual welfare; and third, their neighbor's need. God, you, and your neigh­bor is a good trinity in planning one's giving. God really showed much concern for the Levites that the second and third kind of tithes, they were also to partake of it. Don’t you think the genuine Gospel Ministers who are laboring selflessly in the vineyard deserve much more appreciation and encouragement?

“When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled;” Deuteronomy 26:12

So, Mr. Freeze is wrong about his assertions on Deuteronomy 14:22-26. When you understand the three types of tithes, then you would have a clue as to whether such should continue or not. We shall look at this later.
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by connectikut89(m): 12:00pm On Dec 06, 2017
petra1:

God bless you. It's appalling how far non givers will go to desecrate scriptures just to excuse their conscience .

Malachi 3:8 (KJV)
Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me.
But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee?
In tithes and offerings.

Daddy freeze fed on the gullibility of Nigerians . There are so gullible that they didn't bother to scrutinize his lie.

God was talking to the Priests my friend. The people were paying tithes but the priests were not giving the levites their dues. They were diverting the tithes away from the storehouse. Let us hear word with this your Malachi 3:8 that you don't even understand abeg

1 Like

Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by connectikut89(m): 12:02pm On Dec 06, 2017
Loveaflame:
MY HUMBLE REPLY TO MR FREEZE’S BELIEFS ON TITHES AND OTHER ISSUES HE RAISED PART 2

POINT 2: HIS STANCE ON DEUTERONOMY 14:22-26

So, Mr. Freeze is wrong about his assertions on Deuteronomy 14:22-26. When you understand the three types of tithes, then you would have a clue as to whether such should continue or not. We shall look at this later.

After you're done with your copying and pasting, come back and we'll debunk every lie you tell.
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by Amberon11: 12:29pm On Dec 06, 2017
Only non-tithers complain about the tithe they don't pay. Wonder why people can't mind their damn business. Tithing is not a must and so is Christianity. So rather than worrying about the tithe you don't pay why not devote your time to more productive ventures.
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by GoodMuyis(m): 12:36pm On Dec 06, 2017
femicyrus:
just imagine how much energy and time this man devoted to defend tithe. I wonder why Jesus and the 11 disciples and Paul never wasted their time on such. they are all after salvation which is freely given to people. now you are making people to pay and when they suddenly realize it was a scam, all energy is being devoted to ensure it continues while the main issue is being neglected. please read Galatians 5:1 and give me a feedback

Do you know that Jesus and his disciples collect offerings from people?
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by femicyrus(m): 1:23pm On Dec 06, 2017
GoodMuyis:

Do you know that Jesus and his disciples collect offerings from people?
from the tone of your question it is clear that the so called offering was never of a higher priority. I know what Christ stands for, I know what the disciples stands for; so why should I use microscope to search for the offering they collected? at the mention of some pastor's name private jet comes to mind. how is that related to what Christ stands for?

1 Like

Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by ofemigeorge(m): 2:15pm On Dec 06, 2017
Hebrew 7
Talks about the coming of Jesus Christ and the transformation of the laws of the Levi under Moses...

Hebrews: 7.
1. This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him,
2. and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, the name Melchizedek means "king of righteousness"; then also, "king of Salem" means "king of peace."
3. Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.
4. Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder!
5. Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people—that is, from their fellow Israelites—even though they also are descended from Abraham.
6. This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.
7. And without doubt the lesser is blessed by the greater.
8. In the one case, the tenth is collected by people who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living.
9. One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham,
10. because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor. -

JESUS GREATER THAN MELCHIZEDEK

11. If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?
12. For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also.
13. He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar.
14. For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests.
15. And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears,
16. one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life.
17. For it is declared: "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."
18. The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless
19. (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.
20. And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath,
21. but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him: "The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind: 'You are a priest forever.'"
22. Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantor of a better covenant.
23. Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office;
24. but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.
25. Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
26. Such a high priest truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens.
27. Who has no need to make offerings for sins every day, like those high priests, first for himself, and then for the people; because he did this once and for ever when he made an offering of himself. - Bible Offline
28. For the law appoints as high priests men in all their weakness; but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son, who has been made perfect forever. -
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by petra1(m): 4:44pm On Dec 06, 2017
connectikut89:

God was talking to the Priests my friend. The people were paying tithes but the priests were not giving the levites their dues.

Nonsense were the priests not levites ?

They were diverting the tithes away from the storehouse. Let us hear word with this your Malachi 3:8 that you don't even understand abeg

That’s what they told you .

Malachi 3:9 (KJV)
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me,
even this whole nation.

He says THIS WHOLE NATION !

Malachi 3:11 (KJV)
11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes,
and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground;
neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field,
saith the Lord of hosts

Do priests have farms ?
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by GoodMuyis(m): 5:09pm On Dec 06, 2017
femicyrus:

from the tone of your question it is clear that the so called offering was never of a higher priority. I know what Christ stands for, I know what the disciples stands for; **so why should I use microscope to search for the offering they collected?** at the mention of some pastor's name private jet comes to mind. how is that related to what Christ stands for?

Was it not your request, asking where Jesus and His disciples collect tithe?

I throw question to you and you are acting like pendulum ball
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by dhesire(m): 5:19pm On Dec 06, 2017
Tithing is trusting God for everything.
It's an express command by God.
No human calculations or narration should deter you from paying tithe.
Truth is, tithe is not critical to making heaven but it is important for Christians, so as to show sole dependability on God for provisions.

A thousand Freeze and his bandwagon cannot preach heresy and be celebrated.

Come to think of it, is it the modern day pentecostal pastors that started tithing? NO!
I grew up in the orthodox church and every Sunday we pay tithe. And again is tithing limited to Christianity alone? Again NO! Muslims pay tithe just as Christians do, so why the fuse about pastors collecting tithe.

See, I pay tithe and first fruits because it is working for me all the time. If you don't want to pay, please park on your lane and let tethers be!

PERIOD!
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by Osezua: 5:34pm On Dec 06, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8ycSJyh9U&t=1261s Daddy Freeze Selfish Hidden Agenda On Tithing
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by femicyrus(m): 5:34pm On Dec 06, 2017
GoodMuyis:

Was it not your request, asking where J3esus and His disciples collect tithe?

I throw question to you and you are acting like pendulum ball
tithe and offering are not the same. you pay tithe while you give offering.
why are you suddenly angry?
your church accountant's reports are no longer encouraging after each service I guess.
the disciples stood for the gospel not Mammon.
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by connectikut89(m): 6:51pm On Dec 06, 2017
petra1:

Nonsense were the priests not levites ?

You asked if Priests aren't Levites. I'll reply you. All Priests were Levites but not all Levites were Priests. Only Levites of the tribe of Aaron could be Priests. You of all people should know this. Now it is common to separate them sometimes in the Bible as the following verse tells us. Read and learn.
Nehemiah 13:5 NKJV - "...the grain offerings, ..., the tithes of grain, the new wine and oil, which were commanded to be given to the Levites and singers and gatekeepers, and the offerings for the priests.
Can you see clearly that their tithes/offerings are separated? Here tithes were even given to singers and gatekeepers. Your pastors dare not!

That’s what they told you.
To gain a clear understanding of what and of who Malachi is speaking about all four chapters should be read and the context considered.
Malachi 1:6 and 2:1 offers evidence that God is specifically addressing the priest, not the people! These two verses are the keys which unlock the entire book of Malachi. God is rebuking His ministers, the priest who are guilty of dishonoring God and despising His name, not the people. This is confirmed if you follow the pronoun “you” from Malachi 1:6 on through the end of the book. Chapter 2:1 becomes the greatest key as for the second time God distinctly makes it clear He is specifically addressing the priest, not the people. Since there is no corresponding text anywhere else in the book of Malachi that God has changed his primary audience, then the conclusion must be that God did not change his audience for the remainder of the book.

He says THIS WHOLE NATION!
Yes, the priests robbed God and robbed the whole nation too by placing defiled food on God's altar and saying "the LORD's table is contemptible" (Malachi 1:7), and "bringing blind animals for sacrifice" (Malachi 1:8 ) when the people actually offered pleasant offerings (Malachi 3:4)

Do priests have farms?
Well I don't know about farms but the Levites(which may have included the priests) where given pasture lands for rearing their livestock (Numbers 35:1-4). There's no mention of the priests being excluded from this arrangement.
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by petra1(m): 9:37pm On Dec 06, 2017
connectikut89:

You asked if Priests aren't Levites. I'll reply you. All Priests were Levites but not all Levites were Priests.

Sure .

? Here tithes were even given to singers and gatekeepers. Your pastors dare not!

Kindly don’t say that . Tithes were for full time dedicated ministers . Either they are staff or pastors . Anyone who is dedicated full time deserve support but lay ministers Need no support either as pastors or other ministers . In some churches instrumentalist are paid and choir especially if they are employed fully . The pastor get paid too if he is full time . But most pastors are lay pastors . They don’t get paid . Most choiristers are volunteers . And don’t get paid .

To gain a clear understanding of what and of who Malachi is speaking about all four chapters should be read and the context considered.
Malachi 1:6 and 2:1 offers evidence that God is specifically addressing the priest, not the people!

I agree with you he addressed the priest in some verses . But from mal 3:7 he was addressing the nation of Israel .

Yes, the priests robbed God and robbed the whole nation too

Let us not twist it pls . He didn’t say priest rob nation but rather the nation robbed God. Kindly read in another translation :

Malachi 3:9 (NLT)
9 You are under a curse, for your whole nation has been cheating me.

Well I don't know about farms but the Levites(which may have included the priests) where given pasture lands for rearing their livestock (Numbers 35:1-4). There's no mention of the priests being excluded from this arrangement.

The scripture was clear enough . It’s a national prophecy . In prophecy , the target may change beyween verses . That’s the mistake many made . When he was adressing tithe it was the nation . For you to be clear on kindly ask yourself what is devourer. Devourer are pestilence in the farm !

1 Like

Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by GoodMuyis(m): 11:23pm On Dec 06, 2017
femicyrus:

tithe and offering are not the same. you pay tithe while you give offering.
why are you suddenly angry?
your church accountant's reports are no longer encouraging after each service I guess.
the disciples stood for the gospel not Mammon.

Angry ke, I will rather mention 0temSapien to bring mazda for me.

As per your last line, All over Nigeria Tithers just start increasing
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by 0temSapien: 11:28pm On Dec 06, 2017
GoodMuyis:

Angry ke, I will rather mention 0temSapien to bring mazda for me.

As per your last line, All over Nigeria Tithers just start increasing
Mazda is the god of the Zoroastrians same way Yahweh is the god of the Christians and Jews, but I can assure you that they are both in a spiritual cage as we speak this moment cool
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by connectikut89(m): 12:12am On Dec 07, 2017
petra1:

Kindly don’t say that . Tithes were for full time dedicated ministers . Either they are staff or pastors . Anyone who is dedicated full time deserve support but lay ministers Need no support either as pastors or other ministers . In some churches instrumentalist are paid and choir especially if they are employed fully . The pastor get paid too if he is full time . But most pastors are lay pastors . They don’t get paid . Most choiristers are volunteers . And don’t get paid.

I'm not talking about your modern day tithe church. The Bible is clear with regards to how the tithes and offerings are shared. I have emboldened it incase you're too blind to see it that even the gatekeepers collected out of the tithes.
Nehemiah 13:5 NKJV - "...the grain offerings, ..., the tithes of grain, the new wine and oil, which were commanded to be given to the Levites and singers and gatekeepers, and the offerings for the priests.

I agree with you he addressed the priest in some verses . But from mal 3:7 he was addressing the nation of Israel.

The scripture was clear enough . It’s a national prophecy . In prophecy , the target may change beyween verses . That’s the mistake many made . When he was adressing tithe it was the nation . For you to be clear on kindly ask yourself what is devourer. Devourer are pestilence in the farm !

I insist that God is speaking only to the priests?

(1) God clearly BEGAN speaking to the priests in verse 1:6,
“... To you priests who despise My name ... "

(2) He emphatically continued speaking to the priests in 2:1,
“And now, O priests, this commandment is for you."

(3) He must still be speaking to them about their altars in 2:13,
"And this is the second thing you do: You cover the altar of the Lord with tears, With weeping and crying; So He does not regard the offering anymore, Nor receive it with goodwill from your hands."

(4) He is clearly still speaking to them from 2:17 to 3:4, then

(5) By deduction, God is still specifically addressing the priests in 3:8!

I ask, When did God STOP speaking to the priests? The burden of proof falls on you and all the others who say that God has suddenly changed His audience from the priests to the people without at least saying "And this commandment is for you the people of Israel!"

If you wanna understand the book of Malachi, you need to read the books that contain it's historical context not just speculating.

1 Like

Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by petra1(m): 1:34am On Dec 07, 2017
connectikut89:

I have emboldened it incase you're too blind to see

You don’t have to be insultive . Are you born again . Kindly show some restrain and spiritual fruit

2 Timothy 2:24
24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

it that even the gatekeepers collected out of the tithes.

There is nothing new in the verse above . The same priciple still applies . The tithe to God is for the work of Ministry . Ministers who are full time get their welfare from there . Either it’s a pastor or staff OT gateman . Hope you’ve calmed down. Most pastors are volunteers . Except few . Most music ministers are volunteers . But some are employed . I learnt a church like COZA. Employ choiristers etc . If a pastor , instrumentalist etc Has a job . He is not put on allowance .when paul worked with his hand in Corinth , he took no welfare package . But he did took in some other cities

I insist that God is speaking only to the priests?

(
1) God clearly BEGAN speaking to the priests in verse 1:6,
“... To you priests who despise My name ... "

(2) He emphatically continued speaking to the priests in 2:1,
“And now, O priests, this commandment is for you."

(3) He must still be speaking to them about their altars in 2:13,
"And this is the second thing you do: You cover the altar of the Lord with tears, With weeping and crying; So He does not regard the offering anymore, Nor receive it with goodwill from your hands."

(4) He is clearly still speaking to them from 2:17 to 3:4, then

(5) By deduction, God is still specifically addressing the priests in 3:8!

I ask, When did God STOP speaking to the priests? The burden of proof falls on you and all the others who say that God has suddenly changed His audience from the priests to the people without at least saying "And this commandment is for you the people of Israel!"

If you wanna understand the book of Malachi, you need to read the books that contain it's historical context not just speculating.

In understanding prophecy you must understand Prophet can go forward and back . There are laws in interpreting prophecy . A Prophet can be talking of one person in a verse and another in the next verse . If you don’t understand context of prophecy you will think it’s still talking about the same thing or same person . Isaiah could be prophesying of himself In a verse and talking about the messiah in the next . The context of Malachi 3 from verse 7 is very clear . It takes effort to miss it
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by openmine(m): 5:23am On Dec 07, 2017
Loveaflame:

1.THE LEVITICAL, OR SACRED TITHE, Numbers 18:21-24

“21 And, behold, I HAVE GIVEN THE CHILDREN OF LEVI ALL THE TENTH IN ISRAEL FOR AN INHERITANCE, FOR THEIR SERVICE WHICH THEY SERVE, EVEN THE SERVICE OF THE TABERNACLE OF THE CONGREGATION.
22 Neither must the children of Israel henceforth come nigh the tabernacle of the congregation, lest they bear sin, and die.
23 But the Levites shall do the service of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they shall bear their iniquity: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations, that among the children of Israel they have no inheritance.
24 BUT THE TITHES OF THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL, WHICH THEY OFFER AS AN HEAVE OFFERING UNTO THE LORD, I HAVE GIVEN TO THE LEVITES TO INHERIT: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.” Numbers 18:21-24

I believe the above Scriptures are very clear. The first tithe mentioned in the Bible was traced back to Abraham (Gen. 14:18-20, I will talk more on this later), is the sacred tithe, given to the Levites and priests for their service to the temple and the congregation in the Old Testament. This is the tithe we continue to give under the priesthood of Melchizedek in the New Testament. It is the tithe consecrated to God and the furtherance of the Gospel and has, therefore, validity for all believers in Christ.

The Israelites were to give tithes unto the Levites as they have been chosen to serve God in the tabernacle. They were not given inheritance in the land. They lived on tithes. The Levites who served God in the Temple were in-turn to pay the tithe of tithes to the High Priest as well. Numbers 18:25-32

If Mr Freeze claimed the tithes were given to them once in three years, how were they to survive for the remaining years? His reasoning is illogical. You can also read Levitical 10:30, Nehemiah 13:12-13, 2 Chronicles 31:11-12 for better understanding of the kind of tithe.

Please permit me to debunk ur humble but weak assertions linking Numbers 18:21-24 to Genesis 14:18-20
We both know that these were totally different platforms...
Numbers 18:21-24 was coined from the mosaic law instructing the people of israel to offer their tithe to the levites since they had...wait for it...No inheritance....Please include verse 20 in ur submissions!

However,Genesis 14:18-20 was part of an encounter where abraham went to war to rescue his cousin lot from the hands of the kings...and abraham after being serve food and water by the king Melchizedek gave him a tenth of his plunder...
Viewing both scriptures....its obvious,they are totally contrasting features....
Totally different dispensations...

...while one was based on a requirement or commandment another was hinged merely on benevolence....

If however U are insistent,Please offer a law during the time of abaraham where he was required or commanded to pay or offer a tithe to king Melchizedek!

Loveaflame:

I believe Mr freeze was quite clearly quoting that scripture clearly unless U have a problem with that scripture...
Its very simple
Eat ur Tithe every year while not forgetting the levites
And you shall not neglect the Levite who is within your towns, for he has no portion or inheritance with you. V27
Hence,while eating of the tithe,offer some to the levite since they have no inheritance

...after the 3rd year,take Ur tithe and offer the to the levites,strangers etc
At the end of every three years you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in the same year and lay it up within your towns. And the Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance with you, and the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, who are within your towns, shall come and eat and be filled

Verse 28,29
There was always provision for the levites whether yearly or after 3years! Hope U comprehend!
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by openmine(m): 5:36am On Dec 07, 2017
Osezua:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8ycSJyh9U&t=1261s Daddy Freeze Selfish Hidden Agenda On Tithing
really? grin grin grin grin
So is he saying Mr freeze knows the scriptures far more than him? grin grin
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by connectikut89(m): 6:30am On Dec 07, 2017
petra1:

You don’t have to be insultive . Are you born again. Kindly show some restrain and spiritual fruit.
What are you even saying? In Matthew 15:12-13, Jesus called the Pharisees "...The blind leaders of the blind". Did that make Him any less Spirit-filled? Oga say something else abeg.

There is nothing new in the verse above . The same priciple still applies. The tithe to God is for the work of Ministry. Ministers who are full time get their welfare from there. Either it’s a pastor or staff OT gateman. Hope you’ve calmed down. Most pastors are volunteers . Except few. Most music ministers are volunteers. But some are employed. I learnt a church like COZA. Employ choiristers etc. If a pastor , instrumentalist etc Has a job. He is not put on allowance. When paul worked with his hand in Corinth, he took no welfare package. But he did took in some other cities
Don't even begin to compare the exemplary life of Apostle Paul to your Pastors (2 Thess. 3:5-16). There are no parallels whatsoever. Don't be silly to equate welfare package to tithe. Lmao @ welfare package. That's a new one. The Apostles never collected tithes. If you say they did, show me a verse, otherwise just shut up about tithes in Christianity and focus on your Judaism.

In understanding prophecy you must understand Prophet can go forward and back . There are laws in interpreting prophecy . A Prophet can be talking of one person in a verse and another in the next verse.
You have failed at your attempt to prove that the audience changed. Most of what you wrote here is actually gibberish.
There are laws in interpreting prophecy? I did not see that coming. Which verse of the Bible taught you that? Did you read that in your Pastor's publication? So when Daniel was interpreting the prophecy of Jeremiah concerning Jerusalem and Babylon, what were the laws of prophesy he applied? The way you people just coin things into this faith sha, y'all could write a new Bible.
All the prophets were clear to their audience in their prophesies. The prophecies of old were easily discernible by Biblical scholars of the time. Daniel 9:2 is a pretty good example of how he discerned Jeremiah's prophecy of Jeremiah 25:11,12 by studying the Scripture consistently. God was clear through Jeremiah because He gave a duration (70 years). Daniel did not need to apply your law of interpretation of prophecy Mr man! Whew!

If you don’t understand context of prophecy you will think it’s still talking about the same thing or same person. Isaiah could be prophesying of himself In a verse and talking about the messiah in the next . The context of Malachi 3 from verse 7 is very clear . It takes effort to miss it.
Oh slow down! You're missing the point. I'm talking about the audience here not the message, Mr Interpreter of prophecies! Of course a prophecy could speak of different people and events but would still be directed to a specific audience until it tells us otherwise. God is not an author of confusion.
Let me analyse this using Malachi 2. First He says "O you priests..." and begins to rebuke them. Then in verse 11, He mentions Judah and again continues to admonish the priests from verse 13. Does that mean the audience - in this case, the priests - to whom He was talking to earlier, changed in that moment?

If you want to understand the book of Malachi, read its historical context which revolves around Ezra and Nehemiah. Don't comman be forming Interpreter of prophecies that have been fulfilled already.
He said it clearly "O you priests!", He did not later say "O you people of Israel!"
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by connectikut89(m): 6:54am On Dec 07, 2017
petra1:

1. Most pastors are volunteers . Except few . Most music ministers are volunteers . But some are employed . I learnt a church like COZA. Employ choiristers etc . If a pastor , instrumentalist etc Has a job . He is not put on allowance.

2. When paul worked with his hand in Corinth, he took no welfare package. But he did took in some other cities

3. In understanding prophecy you must understand Prophet can go forward and back

4. There are laws in interpreting prophecy . A Prophet can be talking of one person in a verse and another in the next verse.

5. If you don’t understand context of prophecy you will think it’s still talking about the same thing or same person .

6. The context of Malachi 3 from verse 7 is very clear. It takes effort to miss it.

Gibberish!

1 Like

Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by petra1(m): 10:37am On Dec 07, 2017
connectikut89:

What are you even saying? In Matthew 15:12-13, Jesus called the Pharisees "...The blind leaders of the blind". Did that make Him any less Spirit-filled? Oga say something else abeg.

Don't even begin to compare the exemplary life of Apostle Paul to your Pastors (2 Thess. 3:5-16). There are no parallels whatsoever. Don't be silly to equate welfare package to tithe. Lmao @ welfare package. That's a new one. The Apostles never collected tithes. If you say they did, show me a verse, otherwise just shut up about tithes in Christianity and focus on your Judaism.

You have failed at your attempt to prove that the audience changed. Most of what you wrote here is actually gibberish.
There are laws in interpreting prophecy? I did not see that coming. Which verse of the Bible taught you that? Did you read that in your Pastor's publication? So when Daniel was interpreting the prophecy of Jeremiah concerning Jerusalem and Babylon, what were the laws of prophesy he applied? The way you people just coin things into this faith sha, y'all could write a new Bible.
All the prophets were clear to their audience in their prophesies. The prophecies of old were easily discernible by Biblical scholars of the time. Daniel 9:2 is a pretty good example of how he discerned Jeremiah's prophecy of Jeremiah 25:11,12 by studying the Scripture consistently. God was clear through Jeremiah because He gave a duration (70 years). Daniel did not need to apply your law of interpretation of prophecy Mr man! Whew!

Oh slow down! You're missing the point. I'm talking about the audience here not the message, Mr Interpreter of prophecies! Of course a prophecy could speak of different people and events but would still be directed to a specific audience until it tells us otherwise. God is not an author of confusion.
Let me analyse this using Malachi 2. First He says "O you priests..." and begins to rebuke them. Then in verse 11, He mentions Judah and again continues to admonish the priests from verse 13. Does that mean the audience - in this case, the priests - to whom He was talking to earlier, changed in that moment?

If you want to understand the book of Malachi, read its historical context which revolves around Ezra and Nehemiah. Don't comman be forming Interpreter of prophecies that have been fulfilled already.
He said it clearly "O you priests!", He did not later say "O you people of Israel!"

Gibberish ! Are priests farmers. ?

1 Like

Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by openmine(m): 12:37pm On Dec 07, 2017
Explicitly....Abraham was commanded to offer burnt offerings ....he was also to observe circumcision with his entire family....
These two laws were commanded by God to Abraham and his entire family to observe BEFORE THE LAW(Genesis 17:1-14;15)
Please where in Genesis was Abraham and his family commanded to tithe....Whats the law and format of tithes before the law of moses?
Can it be proven with scriptures before the mosaic law?

Some one said...we are to FOLLOW THE DEEDS of Abraham....in clear terms,Do what Abraham did according to tithers....both the Good and the bad!
Why pick out just that particular encounter in Genesis 14 but leave out the part where he committed adultery or lied or offered burnt offerings..?
Does that then mean Christians are now mandated to commit adultery,lie and offer burnt offering simple because it was the deed of Abraham?

And if indeed tithers believe tithing predated the law and its a spiritual principle,where is the platform or pattern? Not even a single law that directs or mandates Abraham and his family to "tithe"!

How do U defend a principle without a laid down law....not even a single instruction from God
All i keep hearing from most tithers is that it is a spiritual principle.....In other words,according to them,IT CAN'T BE PROVEN OR DEFENDED USING THE SCRIPTURE!!

It will also be totally erroneous to equate malachi 3:10-12 with Genesis 14 after tithers had declared their tithe practices predated the law...in other words...the law and covenants of the mosaic law can not be applied!
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by sonmvayina(m): 4:36pm On Dec 07, 2017
See Nigerians arguing over other peoples culture and traditions ....

Wahala dey oh..
Are we going to get out of this mental slavery any time soon? I asked.

I pray....I wish, I ponder..

Please God of pur ancestors save us from this " god spell "....please, we are all moving towards self destruction.. Don't stand and watch, do something..do something..
Re: My Humble Reply To Mr Freeze’s Beliefs On Tithes And Other Issues He Raised (1) by Loveaflame(m): 5:47pm On Dec 07, 2017
MY HUMBLE REPLY TO MR FREEZE’S BELIEFS ON TITHES AND OTHER ISSUES HE RAISED PART 3

POINT 3: IF YOU PAY TITHE YOU ARE A GOAT

This was a very strong one from him. We need to first and foremost understand the origin of tithe. Tithe did not start with the law. It started before the law. There is this strong belief tithing started when Abraham gave Melchizedek tithe of the spoils from war.

“18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
20 and blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. AND HE GAVE HIM TITHES OF ALL.” Genesis 14:18-20

The Bible is silent on many issues. Just like the issue of where Cain got his wife from. To the many who look at these verses, they would believe this was the first time Abraham paid tithes. This is not true. He had been paying before even though it was not mentioned here. Abraham must have been familiar with the priest before he could pay such to him.

“AND MELCHIZEDEK KING OF SALEM BROUGHT FORTH BREAD AND WINE: and he was the priest of the most high God” Genesis 14:18

Abraham was no stranger to Melchizedek. He knew Abraham. He entertained him when he came from the battle. He blessed Abraham with bread and wine which is a typology of Gospel Ministers blessing the lives of people with God’s Word and spiritual impartation. This a deep truth we need to ponder upon.

This was no new relationship. Abraham reciprocated his kind gestures with tithe payment. Should it be different today? He could had paid tithes to him in the past before now, The Bible is silent on this. If we are to accept this was the first time he paid tithe from where did Jacob learn about tithes then in Genesis 28:20?

“20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
21 so that I come again to my father’s house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God:
22 and this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God’s house: and of all that thou shalt give me I WILL SURELY GIVE THE TENTH UNTO THEE.” Genesis 28:20-22

Definitely, it would have been from his father Isaac. But the Bible is silent on whether Isaac paid tithes or not. The issue here is not whether Abraham only paid once according to Mr. Freeze but he paid. Tithe was not a new thing to Him neither was it a new thing to Jacob. They were familiar with it. Definitely, it was not a onetime thing to them.

According to him, those who pay tithes are goats is not a Biblical stand. Paying the sacred tithes to the Levites who were Priests who served God in His temple is like doing the same to Gospel Ministers who have given themselves to serve God. It is quite true, the emphasis on tithes was not laid in the New Testament but it was not condemned by Jesus either. Whether he said it in passing according to Mr. Freeze is never the issue here. He did not condemn tithes but accused the leaders of overlooking the second and the third kind of tithes. They were selfish leaders.

“Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and HAVE OMITTED THE WEIGHTIER MATTERS OF THE LAW, JUDGMENT, MERCY, AND FAITH: THESE OUGHT YE TO HAVE DONE, AND NOT TO LEAVE THE OTHER UNDONE.” Matthew 23:23

“these ought ye to have done, and NOT TO LEAVE THE OTHER UNDONE”

The above is very clear that Jesus supported the payment of tithes. He told the leaders they should not have omitted the weightier matters of the law neither should they discard the issue of tithes. He was in support of both. You might want to argue this, let’s see other translations to understand my point clearly.

“A curse is on you, scribes and Pharisees, false ones! for you make men give a tenth of all sorts of sweet-smelling plants, but you give no thought to the more important things of the law, righteousness, and mercy, and faith; BUT IT IS RIGHT FOR YOU TO DO THESE, AND NOT TO LET THE OTHERS BE UNDONE.” Matthew 23:23 (The Bible in Basic English)
“How terrible it will be for you legal experts and Pharisees! Hypocrites! You give to God a tenth of mint, dill, and cumin, but you forget about the more important matters of the Law: justice, peace, and faith. YOU OUGHT TO GIVE A TENTH BUT WITHOUT FORGETTING ABOUT THOSE MORE IMPORTANT MATTERS.” Matthew 23:23 (Common English Bible)

"Woe to you hypocritical Torah-teachers and P'rushim! You pay your tithes of mint, dill and cumin; but you have neglected the weightier matters of the Torah -- justice, mercy, trust. THESE ARE THE THINGS YOU SHOULD HAVE ATTENDED TO -- WITHOUT NEGLECTING THE OTHERS!” Matthew 23:23 (The Complete Jewish Bible)

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! You pay a tenth of mint, dill, and cumin, yet you have neglected the more important matters of the law-justice, mercy, and faith. THESE THINGS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE WITHOUT NEGLECTING THE OTHERS.” Matthew 23:23 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Matthew 23:23 (GNT) "How terrible for you, teachers of the Law and Pharisees! You hypocrites! You give to God one tenth even of the seasoning herbs, such as mint, dill, and cumin, but you neglect to obey the really important teachings of the Law, such as justice and mercy and honesty. THESE YOU SHOULD PRACTICE, WITHOUT NEGLECTING THE OTHERS.” Matthew 23:23 (Good News Translation)

From the above various translations, are you still in doubt as to whether Jesus believed in tithes? Unlike what Mr. Freeze asserted that Jesus said it in passing. This is not true. Jesus believed in tithes and He never condemned it but only condemned the leaders for neglecting the other more important issues.

The argument that Jesus never received tithes in His days on earth, stems from ignorance. He was not a priest in the Temple neither did He come from the tribe of Levi. More would be said on this later.

The argument Jesus never paid tithe shouldn’t be an issue because He never worked. His disciples whom he called were all full time ministers in His ministry. They were living on donations and help from those who really cherished His ministry. But even with that, we can infer He did with the issue of paying tax. Jesus paid tax, Matthew 17:24-27. And when the Jewish leaders tried to find accusation with him if it was right to pay taxes or not in Matthew 22:15-22, He replied in verses 18-22

“18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, WHY TEMPT YE ME, YE HYPOCRITES?
19 Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny.
20 And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? 21 They say unto him, Caesar’s. Then saith he unto them, RENDER THEREFORE UNTO CAESAR THE THINGS WHICH ARE CAESAR’S; AND UNTO GOD THE THINGS THAT ARE GOD’S.
22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way.” Matthew 24:18-22

Definitely, they never accused Him of not paying tithes but wanted to rope Him in with His stance on taxes. He boldly told them,
“Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; AND UNTO GOD THE THINGS THAT ARE GOD’S”

Definitely, the things of God should include tithes and offerings. If Jesus paid tax, don’t you think it was possible He paid tithes to?

If we can pay taxes to Government in order to develop the state or community, why should it be difficult to pay tithes and give generously to God’s work to ease the work of The Gospel? People should be sincere with themselves and stop this satanic hypocrisy. The church needs money to do so many things. If we can pay taxes out of fear or compulsion, why shouldn’t we pay tithes out of love if we truly love the work of God?

“1 Not long afterward Jesus began a tour of the nearby cities and villages to announce the Good News concerning the Kingdom of God. He took his twelve disciples with him,
2 along with some women he had healed and from whom he had cast out evil spirits. Among them were Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons;
3 JOANNA, THE WIFE OF CHUZA, HEROD’S BUSINESS MANAGER; SUSANNA; AND MANY OTHERS WHO WERE CONTRIBUTING FROM THEIR OWN RESOURCES TO SUPPORT JESUS AND HIS DISCIPLES.” Luke 8:1-3 (New Living Translation)

The Bible gave us a hint from the verses above how Jesus got money to run His ministry. These were rich women who believed in the ministry of Jesus and gave heavily to sponsor His mission. Whether they paid tithes to support or gave generously to finance His mission is not an issue here. They donated heavily. There would have been others also but these ones were specifically mentioned.

For him to have said people should not donate or give to Gospel Ministers is not from the Spirit of God. As Jesus was funded by those who believe in His ministry so are also Ministers funded by those who believe in their ministries.
Base on his assertions, there are many Ministers who have abused the privileges but this should not be generalized because there are still those who are honest and serving God in fear and in truth. You shouldn’t use the bad ones to judge the good ones. That assertion is not completely true.

Back to the issue of tithe, in the light of the New Testament, tithes might not have been mentioned as a subject or topic. It needed not because there was no controversy about it from the Jewish point of view, but people gave more than 10% to support the Ministry of the Apostles in the New Testament. Acts 2:43-47

The people sold their possessions and gave it the church to meet the needs of people of God. The early church truly helped members of the church to meet their needs as some churches are also trying in their own capacities to do the same. True to what he said, the flamboyant lifestyles of many ministers today is a call for concern and not for condemnation. Jesus and His disciples never lived the way many Ministers are living today. But we need to understand, there days were quite different from ours today. There was much persecution in their own days than we have today. Secondly, we are in the end-time and there are prophecies in regard to the dramas we are seeing today.

No one should condemn Ministers of God. Yes, we must speak out to challenge them to change and even pray for them to change but it’s never in anyone’s capacity to condemn them because such is against God’s Word.

“WHO ART THOU THAT JUDGEST ANOTHER MAN’S SERVANT? TO HIS OWN MASTER HE STANDETH OR FALLETH. YEA, HE SHALL BE HOLDEN UP: FOR GOD IS ABLE TO MAKE HIM STAND.” Romans 14:4

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Nigerian Churches That Don’t Celebrate Christmas And Why / What Is The Significance Of Father Christmas? / Todays Devotion,22 August.a New Beginning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.