Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,440 members, 7,808,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

The Right Way To Charge Your Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Right Way To Charge Your Phone (24007 Views)

Leaked Memo Shows Banks Asked Telcos To Charge For USSD (pics) / Sure Ways To Charge Your Smartphone Quicker / VIDEO: Dubai’s Smart Trees Have Wifi And Can Charge Your Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by Ugoeze2016: 6:19am On Dec 06, 2017
A lot of people find batteries as the most ‘boring’ of all tech topics until they are faced with a dead battery. In this piece, we want to look at how you can make the best use of the battery life of your phone.

Majority of us worry more about our phone’s battery getting to 0% especially when we are out but very few care to think about the projected lifespan of a battery, which ranges from three to five years. However, there are tips you can follow to maintain your battery’s optimum performance and make it last for a reasonable period of time.

Note that the lifespan of batteries is not everlasting or eternal. In fact, most producers of handsets quote cycles of 300 to 500 for their batteries. According to smartphone giants, Apple, after a thousand charges, their batteries get to about 80 percent of their full capacity.

Anything after this point will lead to batteries not being able to retain/hold sufficient electricity. Also, it would lead to your battery powering your phone for shorter periods.

Let us look at a few tips to increase the lifespan of your battery. This applies to ALL types and models of phones.

What is the right percentage to charge my phone?

For Li-ion batteries, the rule is to maintain them at a minimum of 50 percent at all or most of the time. If your battery goes below 50 percent, charge it a little. The ideal thing to do is to charge it a little for a number of times every day.

However, try not to top your battery up to 100 percent. Although doing so may not ‘kill’ your battery, engaging in full recharge regularly will lessen/reduce the lifespan of your battery.

Thus, it is advisable to target a range of 40% to 80% when charging a Li-ion battery and to keep it at a minimum of one-fifth or 20% of the battery life.

When should I do a full battery charge?

According to tech experts, you should complete a charge cycle of zero to 100% probably once every month. Doing this will ‘reset’ or recalibrate your battery which is similar to rebooting your computer system.
How damaging is overnight charging?

There are no big risks in charging your device overnight as recent handsets are configured to stop charging when it gets to 100%. Also, a few technocrats suggest removing your phone from its case anytime you plan to charge the phone for a long period. Leaving your device in a case while charging puts it at risk of overheating which is dangerous for Lithium-ion batteries.

When Should I use fast charging?

A lot of Android phones are equipped with fast charging which Samsung calls Adaptive Fast Charging. Most of the other models term it as Qualcomm Quick Charge.

How does it work? The phones are integrated with a unique code placed in a chip called the PMIC (Power Management IC). The code sends a signal to your charger telling it to transmit power at an increased voltage.

A phone like iPhone 6 lacks this feature but it is integrated with a Qualcomm PMIC which can detect a charger of a higher amp. This makes it safe as a Li-ion battery is at risk of being heated up and prolonged wear and tear when equipped with fast charging.

Can I use a different charger?

It is advisable to make use of your phone’s original charger because you can trust it to give you the right rating. You have to make sure that the makers of the phone approve other types of chargers before using them.

Buying cheap chargers from online stores could damage your phone. We have also heard of fire incidents caused by cheap chargers in recent time.

Why should I care about Battery Memory Effect?

This refers to batteries recording the remaining charge when you prevent them from getting to zero percent most times. Hence, when you charge your battery from 20 to 80%, may not remember the uncharged 40%; this is from 0 to 20% and 80 to 100.

This feature is only common in the old NiMH batteries because the modern Lithium batteries do not experience the memory effect.

Conclusion

The myth which states that leaving your phone plugged after a full charge will weaken your battery is actually wrong according to experts. According to them, you can leave your phone plugged in all the time.

Other experts recommend keeping your phone’s battery between 60 to 80% or just below 100% because of the harmful reactions that occur when the battery is at 100%.

The ideal thing is to keep your device in a narrow range lower than 100% according to technology experts. This contradicts what most people see as practical because they always want to charge their phone all the way to 100%.

What is your take on this issue? Do you often find it necessary to charge your phone up to 100%?

http://zokija.com/blog/the-right-way-to-charge-your-phone/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by ehbellsho(m): 6:35am On Dec 06, 2017
Nice one. thanks.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by TheHistorian(m): 6:58am On Dec 06, 2017
So OP didn't address the usage of Power banks?

Those are the real battery/Phone destroyers.

3 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by IamHeWrites: 6:59am On Dec 06, 2017
cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by RIPEnglish: 6:59am On Dec 06, 2017
All this tips is useless, if the phone want to spoiled, it will spoiled.

19 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by Abudu2000(m): 7:00am On Dec 06, 2017
U

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by ICEFLAME419ja(m): 7:00am On Dec 06, 2017
B
Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by tayorh(m): 7:02am On Dec 06, 2017
Nice info
Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by IGNACOSTI(m): 7:03am On Dec 06, 2017
Nice one
Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by badbreath(f): 7:04am On Dec 06, 2017
Nice tips
Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by Hamzatgodfirst(m): 7:04am On Dec 06, 2017
Wow... Nice post... Thanks for this...
But I always charge my phone to 100% when there is light.... I don't know when the light will go and when they will give us again

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by lovelylad: 7:05am On Dec 06, 2017
NL mods don't tell me there are no other useful post that can make fp other than this...

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by Greyworld: 7:05am On Dec 06, 2017
op once we see lyt we charge, even if na enemy huz.

2 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by Nobody: 7:06am On Dec 06, 2017
Erhmmm ...

Charging to 100% once in a month?

Shey iyen dema possible bai sha... undecided

7 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by Jackdaniels16(m): 7:06am On Dec 06, 2017
Mk I nr charge phone to 100% wen light nr dae dis country? Wen I nr knw wen to c light again? Op ehn

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by Nobody: 7:06am On Dec 06, 2017
My phone enters 100% everyday

No be my fault, na BEDC cause am... If they take the light now, Lord knows when they'll bring it back cry

2 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by micgray100(m): 7:06am On Dec 06, 2017
Nice piece... Educative...

Register your own Limited Liability Company for just 85k for 5 working days and be your own boss.. Testimonies from fellow Nairalanders on my signature trend...
Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by BenzEne1(m): 7:08am On Dec 06, 2017
With the electricity situation in this naija. Even if your phone is at 90 you go still charge. Cause if it goes it might not come back in a while o

2 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by FTrebirth(m): 7:08am On Dec 06, 2017
for nigeria wey you no know the next time light go come naim you dey say "charge a little"?

3 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by jerflakes(m): 7:09am On Dec 06, 2017
Guy you just copied and pasted an article that has little relevance in Nigeria

Did you even consider the poor electricity supply in the country?

You dey here dey talk say make we charge till its 80% and use till its 20%

SMH

7 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by kay29000(m): 7:10am On Dec 06, 2017
Okay.
Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by LordIsaac(m): 7:10am On Dec 06, 2017
Insightful piece....it has really debunked myths!
Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by valgbo(m): 7:10am On Dec 06, 2017
y am I booking space?
Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by Ghnaija(m): 7:11am On Dec 06, 2017
U wey no get consistent light go risk to charge battery to 80%

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by tomtyte02(m): 7:12am On Dec 06, 2017
RIPEnglish:

Your reason still doesnt mean these tips are useless. Mr Pessimist.
Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by bonechamberlain(m): 7:12am On Dec 06, 2017
in a country filled with darkness, u have no choice than to charge ur phones to 100% always when u see light. as u aren't sure of light always.

2 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by oyetunder(m): 7:12am On Dec 06, 2017
You will even teach me how put food in my mouth on nairaland.

8 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by josephubah111(m): 7:13am On Dec 06, 2017
I wanted to correct you then I saw your name.. no vex
RIPEnglish:

6 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by dvkot(m): 7:13am On Dec 06, 2017
charge anytime you see light

2 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by nenergy(m): 7:19am On Dec 06, 2017
This article isn't for Nigerians. We charge when we see light or have money for fuel or when our neighbors on generator. So you'll buy fuel, suffer start generator and disturb the whole neighborhood only to unplug phone at 80%? grin

6 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by Zaikon(m): 7:21am On Dec 06, 2017
Charge anytime coz Nigeria electricity is not constant

2 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Charge Your Phone by banre(m): 7:23am On Dec 06, 2017
if my phone dey 99.9% i go still charge am grin

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can I Download Opera Mini With My Nokia 2626? / Nokia Care (service Centre) Locations Nigeria. / Itel Mobile Treated Fans To A Valentine's Outing (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.