Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:20 PM

The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa (22422 Views)

Drug Baroness, 4 Kingpins Arrested As NDLEA Busts 3 Syndicates In Lagos / Bridget Oghenekevwe Emeka, Wanted Drug Baroness Arrested By NDLEA In Delta / Toyin Igbira Is Dead! Monsurat Asabi Dies At 56 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by balash(m): 10:19am On Dec 08, 2017
BACKGROUND

Alhaja Monsurat Asabi (Ashabi) Oluwatoyin Oyemade Rufai Abraham aka Toyin Igbira was born on the 18th of February, 1963 (although she lists her date of birth on her Facebook page as 18th of February 1960). When she was nabbed in 1999 after extensive undercover antinarcotic operations that commenced in 1995, she had just clocked her 36th birthday.

Barely literate, Toyin attended St. Paul’s Primary School, Idi Oro, Mushin in Lagos State from 1970 to 1976. After that, she was admitted into the famous Reagan Memorial Baptist Girls High School on 23, Commercial Avenue, Sabo Yaba, also in Lagos State. However, by the time she got to JSS2, she dropped out. This is the unbelievable story of an African woman who defied the odds of her illiteracy to establish a formidable international drug trafficking network – one that destroyed countless lives and made many rich.

BECOMING NIGERIA’S NUMBER ONE DRUG QUEEN

Young, out of school and bereft of any tangible skills but deeply desirous on making money, she soon joined her mother in a trade that was suspected to be the smuggling of cigarettes from Cotonou in the neighboring Benin Republic. Of this, she said:

‘I dey sell am for Ojuwoye market, Mushin…I do am for eight years, I begin selling cloth.”

Toyin Igbira is by all means a grandmother in the cocaine business. She first appeared on the radar of the government drug law enforcement agency as far back in time as 1994. That was an era when the kleptomaniac dictator in person of General Sani Abacha held Nigeria with an iron grip. Abacha was probably too busy deporting Nigeria’s money to secret accounts in Luxembourg, Switzerland and other European states to pay heed to domestic issues such as the transformation of Nigeria into a transit point for Latin American narcoexports destined for the United States via Europe.

In 1994, she was allegedly introduced into the smoky world of drug smuggling by one Fatai, a London-based Nigerian who is now dead. She confessed before her interrogators:

“Fatai befriend my friend Kudirat. Kudirat and Fatai live for London. Na the time when dem come Nigeria they introduce me to drug business. True to God, he did not tell me say na drug. He tell me say na tablet wey dem dey use for horse. That if dem sell the tablet for London, person go get money. He know say I get money for my cloth business. I give am money and he buy am, go sell for London. He come back and give me my money with interest. Later he tell me say na drug. Later, I start to buy myself…The name na heroin.”

In early January 1996, Fatai died in circumstances that are still unclear and it was that time that one Mr. Brown surfaced and commenced ‘business’as a courier for Toyin Igbira. She revealed:

“The first time Brown carry drug to America for me, he carry three kilogramme. The second time, he carry 2.5kg of heroin.’’

Spurred on by the success and the incredibly-fast profits, Brown introduced more couriers including one Ade and two disabled athletes (more on them later) one of whom is named Yekini to the domineering drug baroness. She recollected the incident:

“Na Brown pack the heroin inside foam wey dem take siddon. Na for my dining room and I dey do my hair for the sitting room. Yekini was given one $1000 as pocket money and I for pay Yekini $2000 if he return from America.”

Toyin Igbira was unstoppable as she increased the volume and frequency of the drug deals. It was a lot more favourable than the clothes trade she was using as a camouflage. Before the bubble burst for Mr. Brown, Igbira’s trusted drug mule, he had transported drugs of several kilogrammes and like a stubborn squirrel, he managed to beat the American immigration and border security for Toyin Igbira’s sales agents including Stephen Akinyemi Akingba alias Akinse.

Igbira kept expanding her white powder network. She reportedly claimed she met Akingba in 1991 (although the latter in his own confession said 1992) in Mushin after which she employed him as a driver. A forward-thinking and sophisticated drug queen, in November 1993, Igbira procured a Zimbabwean passport, visa and ticket and it was with these that Akingba snaked his way into the United States of America.

By December of that same year, Akingba would join Igbira’s brother in Chicago, thus consolidating her expansion and presence on American soil. She had truly gone intercontinental.

From their base in Chicago, Akingba often took delivery of drug consignments from Toyin’s brothers and sisters for sale at an agreed commission. He also worked at a hotel as a house keeper but his major work as dishing out cocaine, heroin and all kinds of hard drugs to the hopeless addicts of America. He confessed:

“Alhaja Toyin use to send drug, heroin to her family. When they bring it like that, they will call me. Sometimes, Alhaja use to send two kilogrammes of Heroin or more. Then they will share it and give me about 600 grammes or more to sell…”

“Sometimes, Alhaja Toyin will tell me to sell for 9,500 dollars per 100 grammes. Then I will sell it $12,000 or $13,000. When I sell finish, I will calculate all the money, I will take my gain and give her money to her family.’

Akingba had more to spit out. He claimed he sold drugs worth $600,000 (then N60 million naira) for Alhaja Igbira.

But as it is the case with drug cartels, a fight soon broke out. In April 1997, things took a turn for the horrible for the ‘business partners’. That month, Toyin’s sister had delivered five kilogrammes of heroin in two consignments of three and two kilogrammes.

In a bizarre plot twist, Akingba said all the five kilogrammes of heroin were stolen from his car trunk by unknown persons. Immediately he discovered the ‘theft’, he called Toyin’s sisters and brothers chilling in Chicago and delivered to them the devastating news of the loss of their lucrative ‘cargo’. He did not stop there, he also called Toyin Igbira’s husband in Lagos to intimate him of the development. All parties made frantic efforts to locate the missing drug package or at least understand the mystery surrounding how it vanished but there was no success. Igbira was enraged.

Akingba was in a big mess. He knew how ruthless drug barons and baronesses are and he was not oblivious of the many dangers that confronted couriers who dared to confront or play a fast one with their callous and cold-hearted bosses. In the narcoworld, only one thing mattered – money. Even more than lives.

Thus, on the 18th of November, 1997, he jumped on the next available flight and his destination was the sprawling West African nation of Nigeria. Upon his arrival, he headed straight for the Lagos Island shop of Alhaja Toyin Igbira, he said of that day he will never forget:

“I explain everything to her that I don’t have money now and I don’t want to do the drug business now because I don’t know who set me up,” he said. “Then I told her to help me with Yoruba medicine, black power, so that we can know who stole the five kilo of heroin.”

But the vicious spirit that dwelled inside Igbira’s dark heart ensured that all the explanations that Akingba gave fell on deaf ears. She was thoroughly dissatisfied and trusting no one, the only thing on her mind was how to retrieve her money. At this point, pay close attention and see how rotten the Nigerian system is.

Alhaja Toyin got across to her friend who was working in the NDLEA and exposed Akingba as a drug dealer. Unknown to Igbira herself, the NDLEA was moving in quietly on her but they played along. On the 18th of January 1998, NDLEA operatives launched a commando-like raid on Akingba’s palatial mansion at 8, Idowu Street, Ipaja and by the time the raid ended, his passport, American green card and other valuables. Igbira did not suspect a thing as the NDLEA operatives played dumb and even organized several meetings at a hotel on Airport Road for the two business partners to resolve their dispute over the missing drug package.

After days of intense negotiation, they reached a conclusion – Akingba was to pay Igbira the sum of N25 million naira for the lost drug. He was instructed to vomit an initial sum of N5 million naira. Alarmed, Akingba screamed that he had no money with him but that Alhaja Toyin could sell his Lexus car, a Quest bus and an Isuzu Rodeo sports utility vehicle all valued at N7.5 million. Akingba confessed:

“She said she will not sell my cars unless I sell all the cars by myself within two weeks and give her N5 million so that the NDLEA oga (officers) will give me my passport and green card.”

It was after this ordeal that the NDLEA arrested Alhaja Toyin Igbira in December 1997 but I will talk about this in detail in the sections below.

A woman with a heart of steel, Igbira was not afraid of the military junta as she was confidently already one of the commanders of a Lagos-based drug-running syndicate. As is the tradition in the danger-ridden and merciless world of drug trade, Igbira worked under a different name.

Igbira quickly gained notoriety as a result of her willingness to risk it all – all in a bid to make some fast cash. She ran into drug law enforcement agents countless times. In 1996, the Nigerian contingent was heading for the Summer Paralympics in Atlanta, United States of America. Slated to hold from 16th to the 25th of August of that year, it was the very first Paralympics to get mass media sponsorship and it had a budget of $81 million. It was a very big deal for the world.

But as the joyful Nigerian team headed for this global sporting event, disaster struck, a calamity beyond anyone’s expectation tore the Nigerian flag into shreds. Two disabled Nigerian athletes were caught with drugs. By the time the investigations were done, all fingers pointed in the same direction of one person – Toyin Igbira. She had engineered everything and her willingness to smuggle her drugs under the official national sports channel only showed how daring she can be.

THE LIFE OF LUXURY, GLITZ AND GLAMOUR

In her heyday, Toyin Igbira was a lady of immense wealth, she was the ultimate Bujebudanu (The One With The Bottomless Pockets). No Lagos party was complete without her as she was the very life of the high society circuits. Fuji musicians sang her praise and poured accolades on her. In fact, the lyrical praise was so much that King Wasiu Ayinde Marshal (KWAM 1 later known as K1 the Ultimate) dedicated entire tracks to her and even made reference to her nasty trade when he called her ‘Ónile Eru L’Abidjan’ meaning ‘The One With The Warehouse At Abidjan’.

Abijdan was one of the centres of drug trade for many of the narcotraders and they also used the Ivory Coast city as a hub for their textile business – a cover for their real occupation. She was one of the biggest players in the West African narcociruit and Abidjan was one of the hubs she controlled. Igbira was so glamourous that even while she was in prison, KWAM 1 continued to sing her praises with melodious tunes.

It must be pointed out that many of the female drug traffickers nabbed in Nigeria all claimed to be into the sales of textiles and fabrics. It will interest you to know that there is a curious reason behind why they are all selling clothes. In a very revealing interview in 1999, the head of NDLEA, Assistant Inspector-General of Police Ogbonna Onovo clarified and below are some excerpts from the interview:

Q: Perhaps we can ask about the mode of seizure. How was it made? Had they passed the customs..?

A: Yes, they had passed the customs. So when you see it you’ll think its a photo album. That’s why I said these people design various methods of concealment. It’s the NDLEA man who’s trained in this that can know, and we’re only demanding that we be allowed to search containers that come from some countries. If a container is coming from the United States, there’s no need, if a container is coming from Britain or from Holland, there’s no need. But the moment a container is coming from Brazil or from Pakistan, India, Turkey or Thailand, there’s red light. The say they’re going to Thailand to buy fabric. It’s not true. They may have up to 50 rolls of textiles inside one container but what matters is just the single roll inside it. And you know these drugs, you can hide them easily. So when the container comes in, all he does is to look for that particular bale that they want. They take it away, just put in the boot of the car and drive away. If you like you sell the remaining 25 bales for 10 kobo. That is not their business. Or when they bring these luxurious buses from Brazil, because some will claim it’s luxurious bus. But you don’t know that they are coming from Brazil, there’s a compartment there that is concealed and drugs can be put. Or they’re importing a car from Brazil, they say they’re importing Golf Jetta or whatever. It gets here and they cannot drive it out. They tow it saying it has engine problem. How can a car you imported from abroad now have engine problem right in the wharf? You know that the fuel tank is loaded with some stuff. You see these are the little things. So some people have something to hide. That’s why they don’t want us to be there.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by balash(m): 10:19am On Dec 08, 2017
TOYIN IGBIRA’S FIRST MAJOR ARREST AND HER FIERCE BATTLE FOR FREEDOM

If you are familiar with the bizarre tales of Nigerian men and women who have decided to carve a niche for themselves in the powdery world of drug trafficking, then the name Toyin Igbira will not sound surprising to you. She is the most notorious drug baroness in the history of Nigeria. Of all the female scorpions in the narcotic business, none came closer to Igbira whose daring exploits still shock many till date.

As intelligent and crafty as Toyin Igbira was 1997-2000 was one of the worst periods of her life. For much of that period, she was in jail, locked up like a common criminal after she had been nabbed after a very long pursuit by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA).

The period remains one of the best in the history of the NDLEA as they went on a major spree and crackdown against drug traffickers all over the country. A big society lady known all at all the parties of Lagos, Alhaja Toyin was caged and as she looked on helplessly in detention, she tried every possible means to liquidate the murderous grip of the NDLEA on her. She was nabbed and flung into cell under the controversial miscellaneous offences tribunals, better known as the MOTs at that time. Although her case had not been decided yet at that time, the MOT system made it possible for her to be jailed indefinitely.

From December 1997 when she was arrested alongside eight others, she was left to rot in jail until 1999 when something interesting happened. By the way, after the arrest of Alhaja Toyin Igbira by NDLEA operatives, she was arraigned before the defunct Miscellaneous Offences Tribunal (MOT) in suit number MOT/L/16/98 on the 27th of May, 1998 based on her confessions and those of five of her drug business partners. It was the MOT that effectively ordered that she be remanded in custody and she would languish at the Kirikiri Maximum Prisons for over 16 months.

Thanks to Igbira, many drug carriers had their trips facilitated through the country’s airports by Toyin Igbira. Nigeria did not just acquire her horrible reputation in one day, we have people like Toyin Igbira to praise for contributing to that jar of tar now staining all Nigerians outside the country.

Months climbed upon months and hoped dimmed for her. But Toyin Igbira is a fighter with a relentless spirit. Her determination to always remain as free as the puffs from a cocaine smoker galvanized her into doing the most unthinkable thing. In her warped mind, she conjured the most devilish plot, an orchestration so manipulative that it could bring down the entire agency.

NDLEA was quite aggressive with her as they did not only cage her but impounded her property running into several millions of naira. In Lagos alone, five landed assets belonging to her were promptly snatched from her. This led to a massive legal gbonmisiomioto (tussle) between her army of lawyers and the gallant NDLEA.

Desperate to enjoy some fresh liberty, Igbira resorted to the oldest trick in the book: seduction. She made several overtures to the zonal commander of the NDLEA office in Ikeja, Mallam Samuel Bashir Gadzama. She was ready to throw her expensive Ankara fabrics away and strip herself naked then give him the most mindblowing sessions of passionate sex but unfortunately for her, the hormone-driven plan blew in her face when Gadzama rejected her Jezebelic proposals.

Igbira was more than ready to use her slim and thoroughly-bleached body to obstruct justice. Morals and ethics were useless in the vocabulary of a coke peddler. It must be highlighted that that same period was one of the bloodiest for the NDLEA as many of their operatives were mercilessly killed by drug traffickers and it would be a big blow to the morale of the agency should their boss agree to free Igbira just for a few rounds of illicit sex with the unrepentant drug empress.

Gadzama was one of the best hands in the NDLEA. A veteran in many undercover operations, he was later promoted to Director of Operations and General Investigations, effectively the number two position in the agency. In the 1990s, Gadzama had taken part in several undercover Joint Task Force operations and formerly served as the commander of NDLEA operations at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos and also as the commander of the JTF.

He also had a brilliant working relationship with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), a United States federal law enforcement agency under the United States Department of Justice, tasked with combating drug smuggling and use within the United States of America. So Igbira knew exactly what she was doing and why she chose Gadzama as her specific target.

The amazing thing is that drug barons in Nigeria have actually managed to poison the minds of even the most senior bosses of the agency. In November 2005 for example, a furious President Olusegun Obasanjo fired Alhaji Bello Lafiaji as the chairman of the NDLEA after he was found to have collected money from the same drug traffickers he was supposed to combat, in 2010 he would later be sentenced to 16 years in jail after he was found guilty of stealing the sum of 164,300 euros from the residence of a drug peddler in custody. Gadzama was the prosecution witness at the court trial. Lafiaji was replaced by Ahmadu Giade, a retired deputy commissioner of police. Toyin Igbira would languish in jail until something very dramatic happened.

The Shocking Story of How Justice Abubakar Abdulkadir Jega Assisted Nigeria’s Most Notorious Drug Baroness And Unrepentant Cocaine Peddler Alhaja Toyin Igbira Escape Justice In August 1999

One of the countries I admire most on the planet is Singapore. It has everything that my beloved country, Nigeria does not have. Although Singapore is very tiny, so tiny that Lagos, the smallest state in my nation, is five times bigger than this southeast Asian nation called Republic of Singapore.

But make no mistake, Singapore is one of the richest nations on earth. In fact, just two nations are richer than Singapore in the whole world. This is a country that has no natural resources but leads the world in education, healthcare, technology, life expectancy, housing, personal safety and quality of life. But how come Singapore that got independence from United Kingdom in 1963 is so successful while Nigeria that became independent from the same colonial power in 1960 is struggling with devastating indicators such as the second worst infant and maternal mortality rates on earth?

Well, the answer lies in the hands of Lee Kuan Yew, the first Prime Minister and the founding father of modern Singapore. Better known as LKY, it was Lee Kuan Yew who was the brain behind the incredible leap of his country from being a haven of poverty to one of the most admired corners of prosperity in the world. However, he was able to achieve such a mindblowing transformation because he ensured the judiciary was reformed. It was so thoroughly reformed that any form of indiscipline was severely dealt with. In fact, trafficking in drugs was followed by the death sentence.

For LKY, the rights of their law-abiding citizens to a life devoid of the nefarious effects of drugs trump the so-called human rights of the drug mules. Why am I comparing Singapore with Nigeria? I am doing so simply because while the judiciary is one of the pillars of success in Singapore (where African leaders like Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe now run to for medical care), the same judiciary is one of the biggest obstacles to progress and development in Nigeria and until a proper reform of the Nigerian judicial system is done, nothing is really going to shift for the betterment of the society. I will use the case of this infamous drug peddler as an illustration.

Notoriety personified, Toyin Igbira was one of the most difficult nuts for the NDLEA to crack. For years upon years, she had managed to outsmart the nets of the country’s top drug law agency. She seemed invincible, slippery and smooth; she always operated under the radar like the lethal B2 Spirit Stealth Bomber of the United States Air Force. Igbira was known but no one knew how to nab her until luck smiled on the agency one sunny day in December 1997. There was jubilation in the NDLEA camp. One of their most prized assets was finally in their trap and they were so ready to ensure that she would rot in jail. But it was not to be. Something that would never have happened in Bedok, Singapore happened in Lagos, Nigeria.

At the very top of the list of the self-confessed drug kingpins was none other than Alhaja Monsurat Oluwatoyin Oyemade Abraham aka Toyin Igbira. On that same list were seasoned drug peddlers and cocaine trafficking veterans such as Steven Akinyemi Akingba aka Akinse (who interestingly, was the United States-based ally of Toyin Igbira as mentioned earlier), Mohammed Mohammed who was an immigration service officer attached to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja in Lagos and it was from his duty post that he facilitated all kinds of illicit drug transactions within and outside Nigeria, Peter Oriamen, Babajide Adeoye, Tokunbo Olaiya, Rachel Moronlayo Adeniran, Yetunde Akintan and another suspect who was captured with him.

To the utter shock and massive heartbreak of the NDLEA, five of these nine major drug suspects were all freed by Justice Abdulkadir Jega of the Federal High Court Eight. Those who regained their freedom in the hands of Jega included Toyin Igbira, Akingba, Oriamen, Adeoye and Olaiya. As for Mohammed, he was granted bail by Justice (Mrs.) Olomojobi while Adeniran, Akintan and his fellow in crime were released by Justice Kassim of Court Annex Two.

While asking for bail for Igbira, Kasoki Hart Olakanma of Femi Falana Chambers put up an energetic show and implored the judge to declare that the continued detention of the suspect at the Kirikiri Prisons since 26th of August 1998 was illegal and unconstitutional; that the provisions of section 2 (4) and 3(2) of the Tribunals Decree 62 of 1999 are illegal and unconstitutional as they violated her rights which were clearly guaranteed by section 35 and 36 of the Constitution and that the respondents (NDLEA) do not have the competence and authority to arraign, prosecute and try Igbira on account of the charges that were pending before the MOT.

The attorney did not stop there. The lawyer sought an order directing NDLEA to release all the property and documents seized from Igbira and those of other persons in her custody from illegal custody forthwith. Above all, the lawyer contended that Igbira was an innocent pigeon who knew:

‘….nothing whatsoever about the offences she is being charged with…’

The lawyer also promised that Igbira would not jump bail if granted. It was a lie and a thinly-disguised ruse. The legal team of the NDLEA smelt this deceit and launched a counterattack. Lawyer Nnanna Alamegie of the NDLEA argued that Toyin Igbira was facing a solid four-count charge with several other accused persons at the MOT, Lagos Zone and that trial was already in motion before the tribunal’s dissolution on the 29th of May 1999 with the coming of the democratic dispensation (it is quite interesting, this is my () own emphasis, to note that it was democracy that Igbira exploited to the fullest to regain her freedom).

Alamegie argued on with vigour saying the accused was not granted bail at the tribunal because her offence carries an imprisonment for a term of between 15 and 25 years. He dropped a bombshell:

‘…The release on bail of a person with enormous wealth may lead to a frustration of the course of trial.’

He further insisted that it is in the interest of Nigeria as a country that the suspect was allowed to conclude her case from custody because she is very likely to tamper with the overwhelming bail. He thundered:

‘At the Miscellaneous Offences Tribunal, more than seven key witnesses gave evidence and the evidence so far taken shows that the applicant is one of the big-time drug barons that bring the reputation of this great country Nigeria to disrepute in the international community.’

International drug routes

At that point, Igbira’s lawyer Olakanma disputed the assertion of the NDLEA that the stupendous amount of money that the drug baroness controlled was going to frustrate the trial. Without missing a heartbeat, Alamegie dismissed this argument when he revealed that Toyin Igbira was not only facing trial at the Zone Three of the MOT, but also another charge at the Zone One of the MOT on Kingsway Road, Ikoyi, for attempting to bribe NDLEA men with the hefty sum of N1.4 million naira to forestall investigations into the drug peddling case against her. She was desperate to be left off the hook.

After listening to both arguments, the judge made a puzzling declaration:

On the 18th of August 1999, Justice Abubakar Abdulkadir Jega threw a dagger right at the hearts of the tireless NDLEA operatives and detectives when he granted Toyin Igbira bail in the sum of N1 million with two sureties each in like sum. Small piece of cake. She promptly met up. All she had to do was to press buttons on her vast Lagos-Ijebu Ode network.

But the NDLEA operatives were so furious with the baffling judgment that they were ready to pounce on Igbira and re-arrest her immediately with fresh charges on her neck. In order to ensure this did not happen, Justice Jega personally and physically shielded Toyin Igbira from the action-ready NDLEA operatives when he drove her out of the court premises with his own car all in a bid to just make sure the NDLEA operatives do not rearrest the heroin baronness. Although the case was adjourned until the whole thing went hazy. Stylishly, she regained her freedom but the NDLEA was so pissed off that they refused to hand over the property they seized from her. Not even all the legal acrobatics from Femi Falana Chambers could convince the NDLEA to release a pin to her. The following were seized from Toyin Igbira by the NDLEA operatives:

Assorted clothes and fabrics from her 14, Nnamdi Azikiwe Street, Lagos Shop valued at N17.5 million naira.
Landed property and buildings at 36, Itire Road, Mushin, 14, Bereola Street, Surulere, 12 Owodunni Street, Iwaya and an undeveloped plot of land at 212, Church Street, Onigbagbo Village at Opebi, Ikeja.
NB: Justice Abubakar Abdulkadir Jega (who happens to be the brother of former INEC Chairman, Professor Attahiru Jega) would later rise to become an Appeal Court Justice. In September 2015, he was crushed to death during a Hajj stampede in Muna, near Mecca in Saudi Arabia while the pilgrims were on their way to Jamarat to perform the stoning of Satan. Jega was a member of the Kebbi State’s hajj delegation to the desert kingdom.

Justice Abubakar Jega

But as NDLEA had predicted, Igbira did not become repentant as she immediately resumed her trade in hard drugs. It seemed nothing could deter her as she had the ultimate belief that she had mastered all the intricacies of the heavily-flawed Nigerian justice system – via a vast system of patronage and ‘connections’ that often involved the very functionaries in government. However, it was not long afterwards that her paths crossed again with that of her old enemy – the NDLEA.

You can see that it has been long that the Nigerian judiciary has been a major obstacle to justice in our country. In fact, on this matter, the NDLEA was so pained that on the 24th of August, just few days after Justice Jega had freed her, the agency slammed Toyin Igbira with two new charges at the Federal High Court. The first suit FHC/L118c/99 had a two-count charge: that Toyin Igbira on or about 5 April 1995 conspired with and aided one George Olanrewaju Owumi to export 1.112 kilogramme of heroin to Zurich, Switzerland and thereby committed an offence punishable under section 10c (b) of NDLEA Decree 15 of 1992.

In the second suit, the accusation hammered on Igbira’s head had it that Toyin Igbira conspired with and aided Miss Helen Osemene Izien to export 1.35 kilogrammes of heroin to New York, United States of America, offences punishable under section 10c (b) of the NDLEA Decree 15 of 1992. The NDLEA was so certain they had bulletproof cases against Igbira and that there was no way she would escape spending the rest of her cocaine-filled life behind prison walls. They were painfully disappointed.

On Monday, 6th of September 1998 when the case came up, Toyin Igbira pleaded that she was sick all of a sudden. The drama queen was determined to frustrate the case and return to her money-spinning business by all means. The cases were then adjourned till 14th of September when the charges would then be read to enable her enter a plea.

HER SECOND ARREST AND IMPRISONMENT

After trailing her for five years since 1997, the NDLEA finally made another major breakthrough on the 15th of November, 2002. On that day, an excited Zonal Command of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency at Ikeja announced with maximum glee that they had trapped a legendary suspect alive.

It was Alhaja Toyin Abraham Igbira again and she was arrested red-handed with a hefty package – 72 wraps of substance suspected to be heroin. Her fall from narcotic grace to criminal grass that fateful day occurred at the ever-bustling Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Ikeja, Lagos. Igbira had informed her contacts on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean that she was on her way already. As a veteran in the illegal trade, she made sure she closed all the loops and perfected every move. However, it was a terrible day for her as the devilish package on her was discovered shortly before she was to board her flight to the United States of America.

It was that moment that many Nigerians really heard her name and saw her face for the very first time. She was paraded before ogling journalists at the NDLEA headquarters. During the adrenalin-filled press conference, Alhaji Abdullahi A. Danburam who was the NDLEA zonal commander trumpeted it loud for everyone to hear that they had been placing traps for Alhaja Igbira since 1997 but she managed to evade almost all by remaining several steps ahead of them – until the gods got pissed off and declared her cup full again on the 15th of November.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by dapoola(m): 10:23am On Dec 08, 2017
So, that's my point. We celebrate criminals, slave traders and perpetrators of all other vices. Then we expect to enshrine justice and equity somehow. Well good luck to Nigerians.
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by madridguy(m): 10:24am On Dec 08, 2017
Thanks for this thread @ OP. Kwam 1 enjoyed the woman money no be small.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by lovely17(m): 10:50am On Dec 08, 2017
Female Pablo
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by lovely17(m): 10:59am On Dec 08, 2017
She a dare devil
she had the gut to smuggle through the paralympic team

She's gat balls huge ones

2 Likes

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by Nobody: 11:07am On Dec 08, 2017
Monsurat.

The land where Women have scrotums. And the men delight in Pesticides.

Monsurat remains the greatest thing ever to happen.

2 Likes

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by SurefireFashion: 1:28pm On Dec 08, 2017
brb

2 Likes

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by MrOlai: 3:53pm On Dec 08, 2017
Hmmn!
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by Hedonistically: 7:15pm On Dec 09, 2017
It's a great story half told. The legendary Toyin Igbira.

She was only outed because of her bushness/razzness/loudness and ill-luck though. Numerous elite "businessmen and women" of today, whose wealth dates back to the 1980s and 1990s got a headstart with coco/narco business. Them plenty. From the Lagos billionaire, husband to Sade, with an estate opposite VGC - and all his rich friends - to the Hajia Sha-whatever from Ilorin, to the late Dilichukwu and Co from the eastern heartland, to uncountable others in the South West and South East especially.

That's why I laugh when some people form nonsense integrity and hard work. These guys got an unfair headstart. And are we supposed to compete against them and their children from scratch with pure grind and plain effort - without any leverage? Nah. You can't change the rules when it's now my turn. You can't reduce the size of the goal post to a matchbox when it's my turn to take the life changing penalty kick. Sorry.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by MrOlai: 12:07am On Dec 10, 2017
Hedonistically:
It's a great story half told. The legendary Toyin Igbira.

She was only outed because of her bushness/razzness/loudness and ill-luck though. Numerous elite "businessmen and women" of today, whose wealth dates back to the 1980s and 1990s got a headstart with coco/narco business. Them plenty. From the Lagos Billionaire, husband to Sade, with an estate opposite VGC - and all his rich friends - to the Hajia Sha-whatever from Ilorin, to the late Dilichukwu and Co from the eastern heartland, to uncountable others in the South West and South East especially.

That's why I laugh when some people form nonsense integrity and hard work. These guys got an unfair headstart. And are we supposed to compete against then and their children from scratch with pure grind and plain effort - without any leverage? Nah. You can't change the rules when it's now my turn. You can't reduce the size of the goal post to a matchbox when it's my turn to take the life changing penalty. Sorry.

Your post funny die! grin

What evidence do you have against some of the people you mentioned?

Even if you're right, don't follow the wrong footsteps as suggested by your last statements! Every evil deed has repercussion! It's just a matter of time!

1 Like

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by BagWay: 5:20am On Dec 10, 2017
the biggest.
one day id move my own kilos.

im walkin like i got a kilo..yeah
walkin like i got a kilo.
walkin like got a kilo
pinky ring...minus 30 below. yeaaashhhhhh.
and ma Dopeman is ma fuckin hero.

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by PhilAmadeus: 8:17am On Dec 10, 2017
Lemme book space, I dey come .
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by chillychill(f): 6:22pm On Dec 10, 2017
Wow! So Nigeria seff get female pablo escobar.. shocked..

1 Like

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by unadeymadkwa: 5:59am On Dec 11, 2017
Nice story
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by TANID(m): 2:08pm On Jul 21, 2019
unadeymadkwa:
Nice story
But You And Me Don't Read It All cheesy
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by bukatyne(f): 2:32pm On Jul 21, 2019
Omo see inside life story.
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by busybeei5(f): 3:53pm On Jul 21, 2019
shocked

1 Like

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by wizardus: 3:59pm On Jul 21, 2019
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by BaddaMan: 4:53pm On Jul 21, 2019
Karma later caught up with Uncle Jega, died on his way to stoned the devil �, wawu
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by ireke(m): 5:21pm On Jul 21, 2019
When we say vanity upon vanity, they will say we have poverty mentality.
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by Frankbaro(m): 11:02am On Jul 22, 2019
My brother's from the West no near this thread at all.
After they will be accusing Easterners as the main culprits. Just imagine

1 Like

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by mkoabiola: 10:45pm On Jan 15, 2023
Nawa ooo.
But she is late now

K1 use to praise her to high heaven

Drug money is very sweet
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by Wealthoptulent(m): 11:48pm On Jan 15, 2023
balash:

If you are familiar with the bizarre tales of Nigerian men and women who have decided to carve a niche for themselves in the powdery world of drug trafficking, then the name Toyin Igbira will not sound surprising to you. She is the most notorious drug baroness in the history of Nigeria. Of all the female scorpions in the narcotic business, none came closer to Igbira whose daring exploits still shock many till date.

As intelligent and crafty as Toyin Igbira was 1997-2000 was one of the worst periods of her life. For much of that period, she was in jail, locked up like a common criminal after she had been nabbed after a very long pursuit by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA).

The period remains one of the best in the history of the NDLEA as they went on a major spree and crackdown against drug traffickers all over the country. A big society lady known all at all the parties of Lagos, Alhaja Toyin was caged and as she looked on helplessly in detention, she tried every possible means to liquidate the murderous grip of the NDLEA on her. She was nabbed and flung into cell under the controversial miscellaneous offences tribunals, better known as the MOTs at that time. Although her case had not been decided yet at that time, the MOT system made it possible for her to be jailed indefinitely.

From December 1997 when she was arrested alongside eight others, she was left to rot in jail until 1999 when something interesting happened. By the way, after the arrest of Alhaja Toyin Igbira by NDLEA operatives, she was arraigned before the defunct Miscellaneous Offences Tribunal (MOT) in suit number MOT/L/16/98 on the 27th of May, 1998 based on her confessions and those of five of her drug business partners. It was the MOT that effectively ordered that she be remanded in custody and she would languish at the Kirikiri Maximum Prisons for over 16 months.

Thanks to Igbira, many drug carriers had their trips facilitated through the country’s airports by Toyin Igbira. Nigeria did not just acquire her horrible reputation in one day, we have people like Toyin Igbira to praise for contributing to that jar of tar now staining all Nigerians outside the country.

Months climbed upon months and hoped dimmed for her. But Toyin Igbira is a fighter with a relentless spirit. Her determination to always remain as free as the puffs from a cocaine smoker galvanized her into doing the most unthinkable thing. In her warped mind, she conjured the most devilish plot, an orchestration so manipulative that it could bring down the entire agency.

NDLEA was quite aggressive with her as they did not only cage her but impounded her property running into several millions of naira. In Lagos alone, five landed assets belonging to her were promptly snatched from her. This led to a massive legal gbonmisiomioto (tussle) between her army of lawyers and the gallant NDLEA.

Desperate to enjoy some fresh liberty, Igbira resorted to the oldest trick in the book: seduction. She made several overtures to the zonal commander of the NDLEA office in Ikeja, Mallam Samuel Bashir Gadzama. She was ready to throw her expensive Ankara fabrics away and strip herself naked then give him the most mindblowing sessions of passionate sex but unfortunately for her, the hormone-driven plan blew in her face when Gadzama rejected her Jezebelic proposals.

Igbira was more than ready to use her slim and thoroughly-bleached body to obstruct justice. Morals and ethics were useless in the vocabulary of a coke peddler. It must be highlighted that that same period was one of the bloodiest for the NDLEA as many of their operatives were mercilessly killed by drug traffickers and it would be a big blow to the morale of the agency should their boss agree to free Igbira just for a few rounds of illicit sex with the unrepentant drug empress.

Gadzama was one of the best hands in the NDLEA. A veteran in many undercover operations, he was later promoted to Director of Operations and General Investigations, effectively the number two position in the agency. In the 1990s, Gadzama had taken part in several undercover Joint Task Force operations and formerly served as the commander of NDLEA operations at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos and also as the commander of the JTF.

He also had a brilliant working relationship with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), a United States federal law enforcement agency under the United States Department of Justice, tasked with combating drug smuggling and use within the United States of America. So Igbira knew exactly what she was doing and why she chose Gadzama as her specific target.

The amazing thing is that drug barons in Nigeria have actually managed to poison the minds of even the most senior bosses of the agency. In November 2005 for example, a furious President Olusegun Obasanjo fired Alhaji Bello Lafiaji as the chairman of the NDLEA after he was found to have collected money from the same drug traffickers he was supposed to combat, in 2010 he would later be sentenced to 16 years in jail after he was found guilty of stealing the sum of 164,300 euros from the residence of a drug peddler in custody. Gadzama was the prosecution witness at the court trial. Lafiaji was replaced by Ahmadu Giade, a retired deputy commissioner of police. Toyin Igbira would languish in jail until something very dramatic happened.

The Shocking Story of How Justice Abubakar Abdulkadir Jega Assisted Nigeria’s Most Notorious Drug Baroness And Unrepentant Cocaine Peddler Alhaja Toyin Igbira Escape Justice In August 1999

One of the countries I admire most on the planet is Singapore. It has everything that my beloved country, Nigeria does not have. Although Singapore is very tiny, so tiny that Lagos, the smallest state in my nation, is five times bigger than this southeast Asian nation called Republic of Singapore.

But make no mistake, Singapore is one of the richest nations on earth. In fact, just two nations are richer than Singapore in the whole world. This is a country that has no natural resources but leads the world in education, healthcare, technology, life expectancy, housing, personal safety and quality of life. But how come Singapore that got independence from United Kingdom in 1963 is so successful while Nigeria that became independent from the same colonial power in 1960 is struggling with devastating indicators such as the second worst infant and maternal mortality rates on earth?

Well, the answer lies in the hands of Lee Kuan Yew, the first Prime Minister and the founding father of modern Singapore. Better known as LKY, it was Lee Kuan Yew who was the brain behind the incredible leap of his country from being a haven of poverty to one of the most admired corners of prosperity in the world. However, he was able to achieve such a mindblowing transformation because he ensured the judiciary was reformed. It was so thoroughly reformed that any form of indiscipline was severely dealt with. In fact, trafficking in drugs was followed by the death sentence.

For LKY, the rights of their law-abiding citizens to a life devoid of the nefarious effects of drugs trump the so-called human rights of the drug mules. Why am I comparing Singapore with Nigeria? I am doing so simply because while the judiciary is one of the pillars of success in Singapore (where African leaders like Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe now run to for medical care), the same judiciary is one of the biggest obstacles to progress and development in Nigeria and until a proper reform of the Nigerian judicial system is done, nothing is really going to shift for the betterment of the society. I will use the case of this infamous drug peddler as an illustration.

Notoriety personified, Toyin Igbira was one of the most difficult nuts for the NDLEA to crack. For years upon years, she had managed to outsmart the nets of the country’s top drug law agency. She seemed invincible, slippery and smooth; she always operated under the radar like the lethal B2 Spirit Stealth Bomber of the United States Air Force. Igbira was known but no one knew how to nab her until luck smiled on the agency one sunny day in December 1997. There was jubilation in the NDLEA camp. One of their most prized assets was finally in their trap and they were so ready to ensure that she would rot in jail. But it was not to be. Something that would never have happened in Bedok, Singapore happened in Lagos, Nigeria.

At the very top of the list of the self-confessed drug kingpins was none other than Alhaja Monsurat Oluwatoyin Oyemade Abraham aka Toyin Igbira. On that same list were seasoned drug peddlers and cocaine trafficking veterans such as Steven Akinyemi Akingba aka Akinse (who interestingly, was the United States-based ally of Toyin Igbira as mentioned earlier), Mohammed Mohammed who was an immigration service officer attached to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja in Lagos and it was from his duty post that he facilitated all kinds of illicit drug transactions within and outside Nigeria, Peter Oriamen, Babajide Adeoye, Tokunbo Olaiya, Rachel Moronlayo Adeniran, Yetunde Akintan and another suspect who was captured with him.

To the utter shock and massive heartbreak of the NDLEA, five of these nine major drug suspects were all freed by Justice Abdulkadir Jega of the Federal High Court Eight. Those who regained their freedom in the hands of Jega included Toyin Igbira, Akingba, Oriamen, Adeoye and Olaiya. As for Mohammed, he was granted bail by Justice (Mrs.) Olomojobi while Adeniran, Akintan and his fellow in crime were released by Justice Kassim of Court Annex Two.

While asking for bail for Igbira, Kasoki Hart Olakanma of Femi Falana Chambers put up an energetic show and implored the judge to declare that the continued detention of the suspect at the Kirikiri Prisons since 26th of August 1998 was illegal and unconstitutional; that the provisions of section 2 (4) and 3(2) of the Tribunals Decree 62 of 1999 are illegal and unconstitutional as they violated her rights which were clearly guaranteed by section 35 and 36 of the Constitution and that the respondents (NDLEA) do not have the competence and authority to arraign, prosecute and try Igbira on account of the charges that were pending before the MOT.

The attorney did not stop there. The lawyer sought an order directing NDLEA to release all the property and documents seized from Igbira and those of other persons in her custody from illegal custody forthwith. Above all, the lawyer contended that Igbira was an innocent pigeon who knew:

The lawyer also promised that Igbira would not jump bail if granted. It was a lie and a thinly-disguised ruse. The legal team of the NDLEA smelt this deceit and launched a counterattack. Lawyer Nnanna Alamegie of the NDLEA argued that Toyin Igbira was facing a solid four-count charge with several other accused persons at the MOT, Lagos Zone and that trial was already in motion before the tribunal’s dissolution on the 29th of May 1999 with the coming of the democratic dispensation (it is quite interesting, this is my () own emphasis, to note that it was democracy that Igbira exploited to the fullest to regain her freedom).

Alamegie argued on with vigour saying the accused was not granted bail at the tribunal because her offence carries an imprisonment for a term of between 15 and 25 years. He dropped a bombshell:

‘…The release on bail of a person with enormous wealth may lead to a frustration of the course of trial.’

He further insisted that it is in the interest of Nigeria as a country that the suspect was allowed to conclude her case from custody because she is very likely to tamper with the overwhelming bail. He thundered:

‘At the Miscellaneous Offences Tribunal, more than seven key witnesses gave evidence and the evidence so far taken shows that the applicant is one of the big-time drug barons that bring the reputation of this great country Nigeria to disrepute in the international community.’

At that point, Igbira’s lawyer Olakanma disputed the assertion of the NDLEA that the stupendous amount of money that the drug baroness controlled was going to frustrate the trial. Without missing a heartbeat, Alamegie dismissed this argument when he revealed that Toyin Igbira was not only facing trial at the Zone Three of the MOT, but also another charge at the Zone One of the MOT on Kingsway Road, Ikoyi, for attempting to bribe NDLEA men with the hefty sum of N1.4 million naira to forestall investigations into the drug peddling case against her. She was desperate to be left off the hook.

On the 18th of August 1999, Justice Abubakar Abdulkadir Jega threw a dagger right at the hearts of the tireless NDLEA operatives and detectives when he granted Toyin Igbira bail in the sum of N1 million with two sureties each in like sum. Small piece of cake. She promptly met up. All she had to do was to press buttons on her vast Lagos-Ijebu Ode network.

But the NDLEA operatives were so furious with the baffling judgment that they were ready to pounce on Igbira and re-arrest her immediately with fresh charges on her neck. In order to ensure this did not happen, Justice Jega personally and physically shielded Toyin Igbira from the action-ready NDLEA operatives when he drove her out of the court premises with his own car all in a bid to just make sure the NDLEA operatives do not rearrest the heroin baronness. Although the case was adjourned until the whole thing went hazy. Stylishly, she regained her freedom but the NDLEA was so pissed off that they refused to hand over the property they seized from her. Not even all the legal acrobatics from Femi Falana Chambers could convince the NDLEA to release a pin to her. The following were seized from Toyin Igbira by the NDLEA operatives:

Assorted clothes and fabrics from her 14, Nnamdi Azikiwe Street, Lagos Shop valued at N17.5 million naira.
Landed property and buildings at 36, Itire Road, Mushin, 14, Bereola Street, Surulere, 12 Owodunni Street, Iwaya and an undeveloped plot of land at 212, Church Street, Onigbagbo Village at Opebi, Ikeja.
NB: Justice Abubakar Abdulkadir Jega (who happens to be the brother of former INEC Chairman, Professor Attahiru Jega) would later rise to become an Appeal Court Justice. In September 2015, he was crushed to death during a Hajj stampede in Muna, near Mecca in Saudi Arabia while the pilgrims were on their way to Jamarat to perform the stoning of Satan. Jega was a member of the Kebbi State’s hajj delegation to the desert kingdom.

Justice Abubakar Jega

But as NDLEA had predicted, Igbira did not become repentant as she immediately resumed her trade in hard drugs. It seemed nothing could deter her as she had the ultimate belief that she had mastered all the intricacies of the heavily-flawed Nigerian justice system – via a vast system of patronage and ‘connections’ that often involved the very functionaries in government. However, it was not long afterwards that her paths crossed again with that of her old enemy – the NDLEA.

You can see that it has been long that the Nigerian judiciary has been a major obstacle to justice in our country. In fact, on this matter, the NDLEA was so pained that on the 24th of August, just few days after Justice Jega had freed her, the agency slammed Toyin Igbira with two new charges at the Federal High Court. The first suit FHC/L118c/99 had a two-count charge: that Toyin Igbira on or about 5 April 1995 conspired with and aided one George Olanrewaju Owumi to export 1.112 kilogramme of heroin to Zurich, Switzerland and thereby committed an offence punishable under section 10c (b) of NDLEA Decree 15 of 1992.

In the second suit, the accusation hammered on Igbira’s head had it that Toyin Igbira conspired with and aided Miss Helen Osemene Izien to export 1.35 kilogrammes of heroin to New York, United States of America, offences punishable under section 10c (b) of the NDLEA Decree 15 of 1992. The NDLEA was so certain they had bulletproof cases against Igbira and that there was no way she would escape spending the rest of her cocaine-filled life behind prison walls. They were painfully disappointed.

On Monday, 6th of September 1998 when the case came up, Toyin Igbira pleaded that she was sick all of a sudden. The drama queen was determined to frustrate the case and return to her money-spinning business by all means. The cases were then adjourned till 14th of September when the charges would then be read to enable her enter a plea.

After trailing her for five years since 1997, the NDLEA finally made another major breakthrough on the 15th of November, 2002. On that day, an excited Zonal Command of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency at Ikeja announced with maximum glee that they had trapped a legendary suspect alive.

It was Alhaja Toyin Abraham Igbira again and she was arrested red-handed with a hefty package – 72 wraps of substance suspected to be heroin. Her fall from narcotic grace to criminal grass that fateful day occurred at the ever-bustling Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Ikeja, Lagos. Igbira had informed her contacts on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean that she was on her way already. As a veteran in the illegal trade, she made sure she closed all the loops and perfected every move. However, it was a terrible day for her as the devilish package on her was discovered shortly before she was to board her flight to the United States of America.

It was that moment that many Nigerians really heard her name and saw her face for the very first time. She was paraded before ogling journalists at the NDLEA headquarters. During the adrenalin-filled press conference, Alhaji Abdullahi A. Danburam who was the NDLEA zonal commander trumpeted it loud for everyone to hear that they had been placing traps for Alhaja Igbira since 1997 but she managed to evade almost all by remaining several steps ahead of them – until the gods got pissed off and declared her cup full again on the 15th of November.

So where she dey now?
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by dayleke: 12:11pm On Jan 16, 2023
Wealthoptulent:

So where she dey now?

Bro, so you had to quote the whole thing to ask that? shocked shocked shocked

Means you no read am at all ni....

She don die na.

2 Likes

Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by dayleke: 12:19pm On Jan 16, 2023
Nice story to read though.

On the 18th of January 1998, NDLEA operatives launched a commando-like raid on Akingba’s.

It was after this ordeal that the NDLEA arrested Alhaja Toyin Igbira in December 1997 but I will talk about this in detail in the sections below.

One thing that does not add up in the write up is that it said she was arrested in Dec of 1997 but the NDLEA arrested one of her "associates" Akingba in Jan of 1998 and the NDLEA also facilitated a meeting between her and Akingba later in the year of 1998 for them to settle their differences.
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by Wealthoptulent(m): 2:41pm On Jan 16, 2023
dayleke:

Bro, so you had to quote the whole thing to ask that? shocked shocked shocked

Means you no read am at all ni....

She do die na.
I read through bro, calm down.
Not stated, wen online to read n learnt she died 2019
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by delpee(f): 5:58pm On Jan 16, 2023
Interesting story. Perhaps a good storyline for Nollywood. It will be a great movie with lessons to learn.

It seems that God judged the dubious Judge ( if the story is true) in a wonderful way.

If every agency of government dealing with crime worked diligently like NDLEA and our courts are fair in their processes, we'll have less criminals in our midst.
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by dayleke: 7:34pm On Jan 16, 2023
Wealthoptulent:

I read through bro, calm down.
Not stated, wen online to read n learnt she died 2019

Okay bro.
I thot it was there ni fa.
Maybe that's what I did too.... grin
Re: The Story Of MONSURAT TOYIN IGBIRA, The Most Notorious Drug Baroness In Africa by Yoighaman(m): 11:55pm On Jan 16, 2023
balash:

Justice Abubakar Jega

Interesting story.

Nice one.

(1) (Reply)

Drunk Policeman Kills Friend During Sallah Celebration In Ogun / Blackmailers Who Recorded Timothy Owoeye Nude Video Dragged To Court / Engineer Defrauds Fiancee Of 11 Million Naira In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 196
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.