Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,403 members, 7,800,817 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience (34192 Views)

Scientists Who Converted To Islam And Their Reasons / Chinese Man Converts To Islam In Kano State, Gets New Muslim Name. Photos / Igbo Woman Reveals The Lady Who Made Her Convert To Islam. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by kngblacq: 3:57pm On Dec 08, 2017
I'm a guy who comes from a Christian home but don't really like Christianity, going to church is like a punishment for me because everything they do there looks somehow to me, so I have been studying Islam for a while and I love the religion, would love to know more about it. People who have converted to Islam from Christianity should share their experiences, how they dealt with family pressure and backlash. I want to know what I'm getting into before taking that decision. Thanks.

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by kngblacq: 7:06am On Dec 09, 2017
No comments yet. Wow

2 Likes

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by Rashduct4luv(m): 7:02am On Dec 10, 2017
I hope you could gain one or things in this Q and A.

I am a young Christian woman and I have been reading about Islam for some months now. I have already read a translation of the Koran and several books about Islam along with articles and other material I have found on the internet and elsewhere. I do not pretend to know or understand everything, there are many things that still confuse me, and I have a hard time accepting some applications and interpretations of Islam that I have read about. However, I do believe in God and I do believe that Muhammad was his prophet and that the Koran is the revealed word of God.
The question is what should I do about it? As I said there are still so many things that I do not know or understand and this is a major decision I am trying to make and to tell the truth it feels like an enormous responsibility and it is quite frightening. What worries me the most is that I don't know how well I could live by Islam if I converted. I have already changed some things in my life, I have stopped drinking, I avoid pork and I try to wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants (or skirts) when I go out. But I also know that there are some things I would not be able to do immediately if I converted, for various reasons, (at least that is the way it looks to me at this moment), such as wearing hijab.
Also, I am currently studying abroad (in the US, but I am from Europe) but I am going home to my family over Christmas. I don't think I would be able to tell my family right away if I converted and thus I do not know if I could do things such as pray all the five daily prayers, fast or avoid pork while at home over Christmas.
Would it be wrong of me converting knowing that I will not be able to fulfill all the obligations that follow (at least not immediately), and knowing that there are still many issues that I do not understand or have a hard time accepting wholeheartedly (due to lack of understanding and knowledge . Please guide me .

Published Date: 1998-11-17

Praise be to Allaah.

What you have achieved in your quest for the truth is great indeed. All that remains to be done is the most important step you will ever take in your life, which is to pronounce the Shahaadatayn and enter Islam. We truly appreciate the great efforts you have made by reading the entire Qur’aan in translation, and other books and articles about Islam, and also by already giving up some haraam things such as drinking wine and eating pork.

The most important thing that you have achieved is your conviction about Islam, the Prophet of Islam and the Book of Islam. From your question we can sum up the obstacles that you face in two points:

1. some social embarrassment
2. some matters that you do not yet fully understand.

With regard to the second point, it is not a condition for becoming Muslim that a person should know the entire religion, because it is a vast ocean. You can become Muslim and then learn the religion and develop full conviction about all the rulings of Islam.

At the beginning, it is sufficient to believe in the six pillars of faith in general terms (belief in Allaah, His Angels, His Books, His Messengers, the Last Day and predestination, both good and bad) and to understand and accept in general terms the five pillars of Islam (testifying that there is no god but Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, prayer, paying zakaah, fasting in Ramadaan, and performing Hajj to the sacred House of Allaah, for the one who is able and has the means). Realize that knowledge and conviction develop gradually, and that faith increases by doing acts of worship and obedience to Allaah, which in turn leads to a deeper understanding and acceptance of the rulings of Islam.

With regard to the first point, we are sure that if you enter Islam and are sincere towards Allaah and do righteous deeds, then Allaah will give you the strength, steadfastness, courage and certainty to face all difficulties and overcome them. The experience of other women who have become Muslim before you gives you a good example of what you could be able to do in the future as regards following the rules of Islam, such as hijaab and other issues, despite being surrounded by an overwhelming atmosphere of kufr (disbelief). We also say that if any woman were to ask us whether she should become Muslim despite not wearing full hijab or stay a kaafir, we would definitely tell her to become Muslim, because the seriousness and danger of remaining a kaafir is far worse than being a Muslim but committing a sin.
We understand totally the difficulties and social embarrassment that you speak of, and we know that going against one’s family and the society in which one lives are very difficult matters, but Allaah makes every difficult thing easy.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings):

“… And Allaah is the Wali (Protector and Helper) of the believers.” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:68]

“…And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).” [al-Talaaq 65:2]

“… Allaah will grant after hardship, ease.” [al-Talaaq 65:7]

“As for those who strive hard in Us (Our Cause), We will surely guide them to Our Paths (i.e., Allaah’s Religion – Islamic Monotheism)…” [al-‘Ankaboot 29:69]

We also want to tell you that it is possible for a person, if he becomes Muslim and fears unbearable persecution or hardship, to conceal his Islam and keep it a secret, hiding his acts of worship from the people around him although it is difficult to do so. But for the sake of following the truth and saving oneself from the punishment of Hellfire, everything becomes easy and the believer can overcome all difficulties.
Finally, we can only thank you for the efforts you have made and for sending this question. We hope that the next step, which you should take immediately, is abundantly clear to you from our answer. We will be very happy to help you with anything you may need in the future, and we ask Allaah to guide you to the path of truth, to help you and to make things easy for you. Allaah is the Guide to the Straight Path.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

60 Likes 9 Shares

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by kngblacq: 4:33pm On Dec 10, 2017
Thanks, it helps. I would really love the people who have taken this step to come and share their experience.

7 Likes

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by Erinola057(f): 11:21pm On Dec 13, 2017
alhamdulillahi

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by Ahmad4452(m): 10:17pm On Dec 14, 2017
Erinola057:
alhamdulillahi
Assalam alaykum

3 Likes

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by IgboticGirl(f): 10:42am On Dec 15, 2017
lair op

119 Likes 4 Shares

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by OboOlora(f): 10:42am On Dec 15, 2017
Do people really convert to Islam? Thought people only see the light...

Meanwhile Mod, why do I have to swear an oath to comment on a Muslim post but nobody asks me any question on a Christian post?

342 Likes 11 Shares

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by 1nigeriamyfoot: 10:42am On Dec 15, 2017
I respect my Muslim friends so much so no comment.

@op, go through the content posted on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/4226068/reminder-ruling-congratulating-non-muslim & ask yourself if you think you've made the right choice. The thread is on front page but its about turning Christians to your enemies just because you are a Muslim. Are you ready to turn your Christians father, mother, & other relatives to your enemies after that you've converted fully to Islam? I laughed at your mumurity grin grin grin

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by MirJay: 10:43am On Dec 15, 2017
seun remove that Allah and Mohammed stuff from my profile. i dont agree

216 Likes 7 Shares

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by Nobody: 10:44am On Dec 15, 2017
BRos you’re on ya own grin Your own case is different, while some Muslims are coming to know the Truth on who the true savior and redeemer is, you’re going back to darkness. Ekpele oh. May Jesus deliver you. Amen!

227 Likes 8 Shares

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 15, 2017
Subna Allah grin
Erinola057:
alhamdulillahi

3 Likes

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by Coitus: 10:46am On Dec 15, 2017
so because of one law school hijab girl saga, una wan create topic to give Christians L

31 Likes

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by Ayomideen(m): 10:47am On Dec 15, 2017
OboOlora:
Do people really convert to Islam? Thought people only see the light, why go back to darkness?

Meanwhile Mod, why do I have to swear an oath to comment on a Muslim post but nobody asks me any question on a Christian post?

Sister,the fact that you don't practice a particular religion doesn't mean you should indirectly refer to it as "darkness"

Bless you!

50 Likes 7 Shares

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by bakynes(m): 10:48am On Dec 15, 2017
Seun what is going on, why can't we comment on these threads without asking if am a Muslim or not. What rubbish is this.

Why sensor this thread, Muslims comment on Christian threads on Sundays why is their own different,why must they have special treatment.

153 Likes 6 Shares

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by mikool007(m): 10:49am On Dec 15, 2017
Just to comment i should derail my life... rubbish
Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by mikool007(m): 10:50am On Dec 15, 2017
MirJay:
seun remove that Allah and Mohammed stuff from my profile. i dont agree
hehe....you don enter am today

7 Likes

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 15, 2017
Converting From Christianity To Islam Is Something I Dont Understand...

Well Op, guess What... Wrong Road...

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by emmyid(m): 10:51am On Dec 15, 2017
Rubbish!!! OP is a born Muslim or a confused Afonja who attends both mosque and churches.

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by Festacbreed(m): 10:52am On Dec 15, 2017
kngblacq:
I'm a guy who comes from a Christian home but don't really like Christianity, going to church is like a punishment for me because everything they do there looks somehow to me, so I have been studying Islam for a while and I love the religion, would love to know more about it. People who have converted to Islam from Christianity should share their experiences, how they dealt with family pressure and backlash. I want to know what I'm getting into before taking that decision. Thanks.
Honestly if going to church is like a punishment then I think the five daily prayers would be a problem's also

139 Likes

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by abdulmalik3(m): 10:52am On Dec 15, 2017
following

1 Like

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by 1nigeriamyfoot: 10:53am On Dec 15, 2017
bakynes:
Seun what is going on, why can't we comment on these threads without asking if am a Muslim or not. What rubbish is this.

Why sensor this thread, Muslims comment on Christian threads on Sundays why is their own different,why must they have special treatment.
let him do his things as it pleases him. Its not a must to use nairaland, to be sincere I've lost interest in this forum as well because its filled with shit these days.

32 Likes

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by mmsen: 10:53am On Dec 15, 2017
MrDude:
I conclude without no basis for a second thought that any sane human who crosses over to Islam is either mentally unstable or..... mentally unstable angry

No one would convert to any religion as a mentally sound adult.

It is only children and the mentally frail who could be convinced of one fairy tale or another.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by phayvoursky(m): 10:54am On Dec 15, 2017
IT DOESNT DEPEND ON YOUR RELIGION. IT DEPENDS ON YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. BEEN A CHRISTIAN OR MUSLIM DOESNT QUALIFY YOU TO HEAVEN. FEAR GOD AND KEEP HIS COMMANDMENT THAT IS THE WHOLE DUTY OF MAN.

AND @ SEUN. WHY DO I HAVE TO BELIEVE IN ALLAH BEFORE I COMMENT ON THIS THREAD. YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAN THIS.

24 Likes

Re: If You Converted To Islam From A Christian Family. Share Your Experience by adeblow(m): 10:54am On Dec 15, 2017
Just go to YouTube and search sheikh Khalid yasin, you will get the details you want. He was a former Christian and he's American. You would love his lectures.

13 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shocking Reason Why Muslims Don't Condemn Terrorism / Sheikh Dauda Onyeaocha Is Dead! Chief Imam Of Imo State Dies / Muslims Protecting A Catholic Church In Egypt During Mass

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.