Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,047 members, 7,807,150 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

I Stayed Longer In Jail For Yar’adua’s Sake – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Stayed Longer In Jail For Yar’adua’s Sake – Obasanjo (442 Views)

Ihedioha: Why PDP Governors Stayed Away From Street Protest / Charles Idahosa: The North Must Complete Yar’Adua’s Tenure In 2023 / Jonathan, Atiku, Saraki, Others Pay Tribute To Late President Yar’adua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Stayed Longer In Jail For Yar’adua’s Sake – Obasanjo by agwom(m): 8:36am On Dec 09, 2017
Former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, yesterday said he did not oblige his family’s move to secure his freedom from prison when he was jailed for an alleged coup plot because he didn’t want to be free while late General Shehu Musa Ya’adua was still in jail.

He spoke at the 20th memorial lecture organized by the Shehu Musa Yar’adua Foundation in memory of the late General Shehu Musa Yar’adua.

Obasanjo said: “The life of the late Tafida Katsina, Shehu Musa Yar’adua typifies the answer to the question of and eloquent and reliable person who died 20 years ago and we are witnessing this gathering in his honour. In the last 20 years, I kept saying that I always remembered him as the best deputy I ever had when I was a military Head of State. Some of his friends and associates have remained loyal to his ideals since his departure. We had many good and sad periods together.”

The President of Sierra Leone, Mr. Ernest Koroma, said Yar’adua fought for the unity of the country and put the interest of Nigeria before his.

“His forgiveness and faithfulness endeared him to many as he was always smiling. I call on the younger generation to always emulate his good deeds which makes him fresh in the minds of many people,” Koroma said.

The Emir of Katsina who was represented by the Kaigaman Katsina, Alhaji Kabir Mashi, said the late General Yar’adua was a man of exemplary character who always tried to take the country to greater heights and he didn’t have a dull moment. He prayed for his soul to rest in perfect peace.

A former military governor of Oyo State and later Commandant of the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) Kaduna, retired Major General Paul Tarfa said, “Yar’adua was a very smooth gentleman, he knew how to choose, develop and achieve goals with his team. Above all, he made friends in all parts of the country and beyond and that is where he surpassed me.”

Many friends at the event eulogised him for being a bridge-builder. The event was graced by many dignitaries including Alhaji Umaru Mutallab, retired General Aliyu Gusau, Cardinal John Onaiyekan, Chief Tor Sankare I from Benue State, Risqua Murtala Ramat Muhammad, Hajiya Titi Atiku Abubakar and many members of the Yar’adua family.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/i-stayed-longer-in-jail-for-yar-adua-s-sake-obasanjo.html
Re: I Stayed Longer In Jail For Yar’adua’s Sake – Obasanjo by bbm2016(m): 8:38am On Dec 09, 2017
K
Re: I Stayed Longer In Jail For Yar’adua’s Sake – Obasanjo by Yeligray(m): 8:47am On Dec 09, 2017
Why is it that when people die, they only speak good things about them
Re: I Stayed Longer In Jail For Yar’adua’s Sake – Obasanjo by SportBlogger(m): 9:14am On Dec 09, 2017
Hmmm

(1) (Reply)

Catholics In Imo State Embark On 3 Days Dry Fasting Against Okorocha / Imo Are You Set For 'george Weah' Statue / N20bn Scam: EFCC Detains UBEC Contractor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.