Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,855 members, 7,802,740 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? (4116 Views)

Fear Of Buhari: IBB Returns ‘part’ Of $12.4bn Gulf Oil Windfall Money / Nigeria Offers To Help Zimbabwe Conduct Fair Elections / Jonathan Hires Each Helicopter At $10,000 Per Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by BlackRevo: 9:14pm On Mar 30, 2010
Nigeria is offering to lease farmland to Gulf countries seeking food security and will allow investors to export all of their produce, the head of a private Nigerian agriculture consultancy firm said.

Gulf countries reliant on food imports have intensified efforts over the last year to buy land in developing nations ranging from Pakistan to the Sudan and Ethiopia.

"Nigeria has the terrain to provide 100 percent of the Gulf's food needs," Enbong Jimie Idiong, chief executive of Global Corp, told Reuters in an interview on the sidelines of an industry conference in Dubai.

Global Corp is working as a consultant to the Nigerian government on ways to develop the agriculture sector, Idiong said.

Nigeria has around 71.2 million hectares of farmland, of which less that 50 percent is being used, according to data from the firm.

"We need investment to fully utilise this land and we will allow the investors to export back 100 percent of the crop and this will create employment opportunities for people in Nigeria," said Idiong.

The land could be leased for up to 30 to 40 years at a cost of around $10,000 per hectare for that period, he said.

"Because of the large size of land we can offer investors as much as they want, and there is no particular kind of crop that can't be grown in Nigeria."

For years Nigeria relied on oil production to fuel its growth, and paid little attention diversification, said Idiong.

"The oil is a curse, and all of these large oil companies are causing a lot of pollution and I think for our generation this is a time we need to pay more attention to developing agriculture."

Asked what type of guarantees could be presented to investors, a common concern for Gulf nations when considering investments in Africa, Idiong said the government would back any deals.

"Before you step in to invest one penny you will have a sovereign guarantee from the government," he said. Developing countries all over the world have been competing to attract foreign investors seeking food security to buy or lease land under attractive terms.

Last May, Pakistan offered investors 6 million acres of farmland to lease under long term agreements, but will require outsiders to share half of their crop with local growers.

So far Nigeria has not signed any deals with Gulf nations to lease farmland. "Regrettably this has to do with the attitude of our officials who are not proactive, I don't understand why Saudi and the UAE have gone to places like Pakistan and Sudan where climate and political conditions are less stable," said Idiong.
"We are just not marketing ourselves enough."

Foreign investors have acquired some 15-20 million hectares of farmland in poorer countries since 2006, according to the International Food Policy Research Institute.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5548041-146/nigeria_offers_farmland_to_gulf_investors.csp
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by AjanleKoko: 8:24am On Mar 31, 2010
Good God!!!
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by blacksta(m): 8:30am On Mar 31, 2010
What is the point of having arable land and not using it. If others are going to use it to its fullest capacity why not let them have it and in return we get back something. Remember you were not getting anything from the land in the first place.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Ibime(m): 8:41am On Mar 31, 2010
This is a trending development in International finance. . . increasingly, we will start to see more developed countries relying on less developed ones for access to farmland to grow soft goods. . . China, South Korea and Gulf states have been leasing land in Madagascar, Kazhakstan etc. . . .

Since inept leaders in the jungle called Nigeria dont know what to do with our land, they should lease it to those who do, and can at least proivide some employment for some of us. . .
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by AjanleKoko: 8:54am On Mar 31, 2010
Ibime:

Since inept leaders in the jungle called Nigeria dont know what to do with our land, they should lease it to those who do, and can at least proivide some employment for some of us. . .

I guess you have a point. But trust me, beyond labourers and farm hands, which are available already, you won't see much by way of employment.
Just watch and see.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Onlytruth(m): 9:04am On Mar 31, 2010
Ibime:

This is a trending development in International finance. . . increasingly, we will start to see more developed countries relying on less developed ones for access to farmland to grow soft goods. .  . China, South Korea and Gulf states have been leasing land in Madagascar, Kazhakstan etc. . . .

Since inept leaders[b] in the jungle called Nigeria [/b]dont know what to do with our land, they should lease it to those who do, and can at least proivide some employment for some of us. . .

grin grin grin

Bro Ibime, I never knew you dey vex like this. lol!

@Topic, I share AjanleKoko's  sentiments below:

AjanleKoko:

Good God!!!

Why not these people enter into some kind of partnership with Nigerian investors on this? I'm highly apprehensive of leasing out HUGE portions of land to foreigners for any reason. "No be to give monkey water be the problem, na to collect the cup back". undecided
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by dustydee: 9:12am On Mar 31, 2010
"We need investment to fully utilise this land and we will allow the investors to export back 100 percent of the crop and this will create employment opportunities for people in Nigeria," said Idiong.

The land could be leased for up to 30 to 40 years at a cost of around $10,000 per hectare for that period, he said.

"Because of the large size of land we can offer investors as much as they want, and there is no particular kind of crop that can't be grown in Nigeria."

rediculous,and they sell land to us at exorbitant rates, why can't we encourage locals to farm and export their produce?
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 31, 2010
Wallahi this is unreasonable. Nigeria is worse off than the so called investors is terms of food security. What Hitler wanted to do with sheer force of arms, these guys are doing it with the help of the almighty dollar. And our leaders will fold their arms and watch this tragedy unfold.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by umamo: 10:30am On Mar 31, 2010
How is leasing our land to foreigners going to develop Nigerian agriculture?   The foreign investors will use their own experts, machinery, research centres etc.; there will be no knowledge transfer and no doubt, in the end, we'll be buying their produce at highly inflated prices!

Where are all the various agric. departments and their graduates in all this?  Are they being given (free) help and encouragement to exploit all this unused land?  We should concentrate on investing in our agric. industry, building up Nigerian expertise and know-how, so that in the 30/40 years we'll be in a position to supply the crops and processed foods that the Gulf states need.  That's how money is made and respect built.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Beaf: 10:48am On Mar 31, 2010
This is an exercise on "how to sell your mother"!
Enbong Jimie Idiong and his Global Corp must be stopped!
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by 77ken: 10:57am On Mar 31, 2010
he is an idiot the gulf need water, why doesn`t he pump all our rivers dry and sell to d gulf, IDIOTS of the first degree. embarassed
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by BlackRevo: 11:00am On Mar 31, 2010
I honestly we do not know why we cannot do the agricultural business ourselves and export the produce to these gulf states and if they have more technical knowledge than us then they can assist but we are not leasing any fucking land to them. We have so many students who are graduate in this field of business and what is the FG doing about this.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by otawa: 12:24pm On Mar 31, 2010
And slowly we are going down the way of Zimbabwe.

They will 'lease' the best part of our lands, take the produce to feed their own people, while Nigerians die of HUNGER!

The coming WARS will not be able OIL but LAND.

what a country!
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by texazzpete(m): 5:12pm On Mar 31, 2010
Such incredible short-sightedness on display here.

We may not be using our arable land optimally yet, but we have a large population of over 150 million. In 30 years that will grow to over 200 million. How are you going to feed all these people?

and to think some of you are in the vanguard of those calling for breakup. So when you excise yourself from the food producing North and sell off your good land to investors who are allowed to export 100%, how do you feed your people?

even if our leaders lack the political will to exploit our land adequately, why condemn our children and their children to a future of food importation?
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Mar 31, 2010
Enobong Jimie Idiong typifies the attitude of the average Nigerian. 'So long as I make money for myself and my family everyone & every other consideration can go to hell.'

His attitude and that of tens of millions like him is the reason why we would rather import generators than run PHCN, it's the reason why like half of the NPF are posted as private bodyguards to banks, companies and politicians while the crime rate soars unchecked. It's the reason why we sell crude and import finished products instead of running our refineries. It's the reason why FG wanted to sell our crude reserves to China. It's the reason why everyone wants to trade in oil & gas, diesel, kerosene. Hell, it's the reason why we're Nigerians and the entire country is so fuc.ked up.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by kodewrita(m): 5:54pm On Mar 31, 2010
I guess Zimbabwe was a test run for the rest of the continent. Soon we'll be fighting wars over WATER and FERTILE LAND. hunger will take precedence over locomotion or commerce.

Funny thing is that they wont even sell the proceeds here but will send them to the middle east. benue land will be used to feed the maghreb and the rest of the arabs.

Its a funny regime (Underwear bombers, Runaway presidents, Acting presidents and farmland leasing)
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Ibime(m): 6:38pm On Mar 31, 2010
Onlytruth:

grin grin grin

Bro Ibime, I never knew you dey vex like this. lol!

Bros, I hope you have foreign passport cos in 20 years time, it would be more shameful to be associated with Nigeria than it is to be associated with Somalia.

I have travelled the length and breadth of Britain, and I have never seen a fallow piece of land unless its being deliberately left to fallow, or its a conservation area. . . . meanwhile, Nigeria has millions of hectares of land being cultivated by elephant grass. . . .

Infact, we havent even started cultivating 10% of our land, yet una dey shout say foreigner want lease a mere fraction of a percentage. . . . I say since our idiot leaders no get foresight to develop our arable land, they should LET THE FOREIGNERS HAVE IT!   cheesy wink
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by jara: 7:22pm On Mar 31, 2010
Beaf:

This is an exercise on "how to sell your mother"!
Enbong Jimie Idiong and his Global Corp must be stopped!

About the same way our great grands exchanged gold for mirrows.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Sagamite(m): 7:33pm On Mar 31, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I guess you have a point. But trust me, beyond labourers and farm hands, which are available already, you won't see much by way of employment.
Just watch and see.

Tie employment of highly skilled locals into the leasing agreements.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by papas: 7:36pm On Mar 31, 2010
Onlytruth:

grin grin grin

Why not these people enter into some kind of partnership with Nigerian investors on this? I'm highly apprehensive of leasing out HUGE portions of land to foreigners for any reason. "No be to give monkey water be the problem, na to collect the cup back". undecided

In line with Ibime, you would (I hope) agree that the "Nigerian brand" has little or no reputation a.t.m. especially with regard to agricultural produce. I agree with you that there are capable Nigerians (financially) that can undertake these ventures, but anything that brings foreign investment into the economy is a good thing I believe.

We need these kinds of investments, if for nothing else, to facilitate exportation of the agricultural produce (to their countries at least). It will be difficult for Nigeria to presently build the trust required to export agricultural produce (on a large scale) to a place like China, or even the UAE. Especially, given the "very good reputation" we have built for ourselves in many areas.

Bottomline, any investment from overseas is a good thing for Naija. I just hope this would kick off.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by debosky(m): 7:39pm On Mar 31, 2010
We are truly finished if this happens. The money paid to lease the land will be stolen by the leaders and people will be driven off prime agricultural land and increased unemployment.

With a population so large that you cannot feed adequately as yet you want to consider leasing out land? The mind boggles.

Kazakhstan and Madagacar are large but sparsely populated countries and can afford to give out land, not Nigeria.

Anyways, seems like a businessman just trying to feather his nest and nothing more.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Sagamite(m): 7:41pm On Mar 31, 2010
I really can't comment for or against until I see facts on the ground.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by wirinet(m): 7:56pm On Mar 31, 2010
This is the most stupid idea i have ever heard. Which part of Nigeria are they going to lease. I hope it is the land of those advocating for the idea. So what happens to the original owners of the land that Nigeria wants to seize. They would become tenants and the foreigners would become landlords.

Why can't the government promote agriculture, by providing credits and training to the local population. They can import the trainers if they want. Why don't they fund our agricultural institutes and universities. They could also engage our NYSC members to work on farms.

There has to be a firm agricultural policy both at federal level and at state level. Is the government saying that Nigerians are so useless that they cannot farm?
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Mar 31, 2010
We have another problem!!!! Oil now Arable land. Nigeria doesn't own the Land the people do. We are starving and the government will allow them to export 100%? We need to stone some people to death. I don't even want to worry about Africans and Africa no more jor. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by wirinet(m): 8:26pm On Mar 31, 2010
Look we have to understand that we have to learn to feed ourselves, we did it before the foreigners come, we did it before Nigeria came, so why can we not do it now that we have all this free oil money and a population busting at the seams.

We have to go back to the basics, go back to the farms and produce our own food, from there we would have raw materials for production, and then we can start a real process of industrialization, instead of the fake industrialization we are doing now, relying on foreign raw materials and manpower.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Mar 31, 2010
wirinet:

Look we have to understand that we have to learn to feed ourselves, we did it before the foreigners come, we did it before Nigeria came, so why can we not do it now that we have all this free oil money and a population busting at the seams.

We have to go back to the basics, go back to the farms and produce our own food, from there we would have raw materials for production, and then we can start a real process of industrialization, instead of the fake industrialization we are doing now, relying on foreign raw materials and manpower.

Back to basics!! Thanks you!!. Some folks want Nigeria to be like America. I say I want Nigeria to be Nigeria. Urban living has ruined us all. Many people think only illiterates farm. Geeeez we backwards ooo!!
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Fhemmmy: 8:34pm On Mar 31, 2010
I think people need to be educated on how to get access to this kinda lands.
However, how many Nigerians can actually afford to lease such lands?
There is need for the govt to finance or make some money available to people that would like to go into mechanized farming.

However, i think the devt of leasing it to those people is a good idea, what is the point of the lands just laying fallow without being used
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by papas: 8:38pm On Mar 31, 2010
Why I strongly believe this is a good thing for Nigeria, taking Pakistan as a case study, the original article says that Pakistan has offered "6 million acres" of land to foreign investors for farming purposes.

Some facts from the CIA factbook, Pakistan vs Nigeria

Pakistan:
1) Land area: around 778 thousand sq. km.
2) Population: over 170 million
3) Arable land: 24.4%

Nigeria

1) Land area: around 910 thousand sq. km.
2) Population: who knows!!! but lets say around 160 million
3) Arable land: 33%,   (World factbook, or wikipedia)

Pakistan seems to be faring well after offering 6 million acres. I see no reason why Nigeria cannot comfortably offer at least 10 million acres for farming to foreign investors. What else can we Immediately offer to foreign investors? Manufacturing services? where is the electricity for that? Financial services? With all that is happening in the banking sector a.t.m.?

Again, if this takes off, I can't emphasise enough how Nigeria will be better for it.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 31, 2010
ThIS IS BAD!!!!!!!!!! They will be exporting 100% Now when Nigerians are ready to farm, our lands has been leased to foreign investors. Wowowow do people even think for a second or they just want investors. at the poster above, do you even know what is going on in Pakistan? People worry about electricity and want unrealistic economy. I can live without electricity but I can't live without food. What is wrong with people? Food first!!!! Electricity can wait till food is surplus. Do people understand the meaning of basic needs?.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by wirinet(m): 8:51pm On Mar 31, 2010
Papas, Land is the most important resource after manpower. It is a very bad idea to lease out very large expanse of land to foreigners, in the name of agriculture. That would be a huge security risk. Also Nigeria does not own land, people do. They would be huge conflicts in the future between the owners of the land and the leasing foreigners.  We are still grappling with local "leasing problems" some 200 years after the said leasing/settlement took place in places like modakeke and a host of other places in Nigeria. If you lease a portion of land out and the leasee  decides to bring in a huge immigrant population. What would you do to their children and grand children that would be born on the land. They would be Nigerians and have the same rights as the original owners -wound they not?.

This is a disaster waiting to happen.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by papas: 8:57pm On Mar 31, 2010
9jaganja:

ThIS IS BAD!!!!!!!!!! They will be exporting 100% Now when Nigerians are ready to farm, our lands has been leased to foreign investors. Wowowow do people even think for a second or they just want investors. at the poster above, do you even know what is going on in Pakistan? People worry about electricity and want unrealistic economy. I can live without electricity but I can't live without food. What is wrong with people? Food first!!!! Electricity can wait till food is surplus. Do people understand the meaning of basic needs?.

Nigerians that want to farm are already farming. Will you happily agree to grow and tend to crops if you were given land for it? Most Nigerians I know will not want to even think of doing this, so don't say "when we want it, it won't be there".
Please present your facts of what is happening in Pakistan with regard to the leasing of land for farming. I have not heard yet.
Re: Nigeria Offers Farmland To Gulf Investors At $10,000 Per Hectare? by wirinet(m): 9:05pm On Mar 31, 2010
papas:

Nigerians that want to farm are already farming. Will you happily agree to grow and tend to crops if you were given land for it? Most Nigerians I know will not want to even think of doing this, so don't say "when we want it, it won't be there".
Please present your facts of what is happening in Pakistan with regard to the leasing of land for farming. I have not heard yet.

Nigerians would want to farm if it is made attractive. If government invests in agriculture and support agriculture, you will find many people ready to give up white collar jobs and go into farming. Even the Zimbabwean farmers brought in by saraki is heavy supported by the Kwara state government.

In Europe and the US, the government supports farmers with all sorts of instruments like zero interest rates, and even subsidy on farm produce. Here in Nigeria, the government does not support farmers at all and even over tax them both legal and illegal.

The major problem with agriculture in Nigeria is our land use act. If our land laws are clear and direct and people are allowed to have all ownership right to their land, and land documentation is made clear and precise, then it would be easy to use land as an asset to borrow money for agriculture.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pat Utomi Dumps APC, To Run For Delta Governorship Race Under PDP. / Soyinka Pulls Out Of President Jonathan’s “anti-terror” Rally In Lagos / An Open Letter To The Igbo Nation And Other Pro-Biafran Activists : By Chiwude

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.