Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,872 members, 7,802,807 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:05 PM

3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad (17350 Views)

Five Reasons Nigerians Choose To Study At The University Of Dundee / 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad-opinion / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by acupikin: 8:59pm On Dec 09, 2017
There are 3 reasons why Nigerians choose to [url=eduregard.com.ng/studying-mediine-surgery-nigeria/]study Medicine[/url] outside Nigeria
1. To be exposed to global standards in training and practice

2. Because they couldn't secure admission into a Nigerian medical school

And

3. Because they think they can harass the rest of us with their tag of "abroad doctor"

Reason 1 is ok. Reasons 2 and 3 are shameful and desperate. Reason 1 will take them to countries like the US, Canada, and UK while reasons 2 & 3 will get them to Ukraine, Hungary, India, Bulgaria, UAE, Egypt, and even Sudan. I know about these destinations because I've personally interacted with medical graduates from there. We call them foreign medical graduates (FMG).

Any doctor that will treat patients in Nigeria must be licenced by the regulatory body called the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN). That you're licenced anywhere else (even UK or US) doesn't mean you can treat patients in Nigeria. You have to apply to MDCN to be licenced to practise here.

The only difference that comes with where you were trained comes in the modality of licensing. If you're from the US, UK, etc, your licensing is a little straightforward. If you're from those other countries I listed above, you will need to do a 3-month training in a Nigerian hospital and then write an exam. Both training and exam are organised by MDCN. If you pass, you receive your licence. Otherwise, you're flung out.

For those of you who think Nigeria is the lowest country in the world, now you know. We don't get intimidated by everybody from just any "abroad" and the MDCN won't just let anybody toy with the lives of Nigerians.

Last month, such an exam took place. FMG's failed woefully. Pass rate 35%. They gave them an exam that's the same standard as the one our own final year students here write and so many of them couldn't pass. And these are people who have supposedly graduated from Ukraine, etc.

Then they protested and petitioned the MDCN to the national assembly which summoned MDCN. Unknown to them, that they are highly influential and can bulldoze their way anywhere doesn't mean they can tamper with medical qualification that has to do with human lives. They may have money to send their kids abroad but they don't have what it takes to rig a regulatory process.

Let me tell you why they didn't pass the exam. This is from my personal interaction with so many of them over the years.

They are children of rich people who want their children to be doctors by fire by force. There are medical schools in those countries that take students from all over the world but rather than train everybody the same way, they train blacks differently from their own students. Medical training is about directly interacting with patients. Touching patients. Participate in treating patients. Joining theatre sessions and ward rounds. It's apprenticeship like they do in mecho village. Unfortunately, they don't allow black students to have direct interaction with the patients.

Some of them confessed to me that their first time of examining a patient was during that 3-month posting in Nigeria. Throughout their medical training abroad, they were only allowed to read through case notes and look at the pictures of patients. Instead of letting them enter the theatre, they show them videos. And so on and so forth. Then they set their exams differently from the normal one. They are trained in such a way that when they finish, they will not be qualified to practise in those countries like their own citizens. They can't even be allowed to do the 1-year internship. Meanwhile they've collected large sums of money from them.

That's why they troop back to Nigeria in large numbers. Nigeria, their home country, is their only hope of ever being able to practise. The reason why they can't pass is because they were trained on case notes, pictures, and videos, not on real patients.

Moral of the story

1. It's not compulsory that you read medicine. It's not compulsory that your kids read medicine.

2. If you must make your child read medicine, Nigeria is your best bet. Here your kid will be properly trained within the available means. She will be allowed to touch patients. She will even assist surgeries. But if she must travel abroad, let her go to a place where she will receive the same training, not where she will be trained with only case notes and pictures because of racism.

3. That you've studied abroad means nothing. We're not dissuaded by that.

Special mention

Rauf Aregbesola should take note. His justification for not paying salaries is projects and one of such projects is how he sent Osun State University medical students to Ukraine because the school didn't have accreditation. He boasts about it at almost every opportunity. He needs to be told that he has simply wasted our resources (forex) as most of them didn't pass oooo.

By: Peter Adeosun Keyz

source-http://www.metrodailies.com/education/nigerians-choose-study-medicine-abroad

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by acupikin: 9:01pm On Dec 09, 2017
cc:lalasticlala,seun help move to fp this article was written by Peter adeosun keys ,you can reach him on fp

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by nittroboy(m): 9:04pm On Dec 09, 2017
[/s]Ok op .....................[s]

I will, if that is ur main problematic
acupikin:
cc:lalasticlala,seun help move to fp
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by SeniorZato(m): 7:42am On Dec 10, 2017
Al these pple above me are on 7G

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Amirullaha(m): 7:42am On Dec 10, 2017
acupikin:
cc:lalasticlala,seun help move to fp
You are wicked my brother... How can you create a topic and still be FTC

3 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by BamBella(m): 7:43am On Dec 10, 2017
Why won't they study abroad? When ASUU will make you study the same Medicine for 11years against the normal 6years.

Op! If na you, You no go run comot from this hell hole go study abroad

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by obonujoker(m): 7:43am On Dec 10, 2017
Do you have any medical school here??

Do you treat young doctors right after graduation??

7 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nobody: 7:43am On Dec 10, 2017
Criminal doctors grin
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by wiloy2k8(m): 7:44am On Dec 10, 2017
they love to study medcine in Ukraine and India
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 10, 2017
obonujoker:

Nuisance
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by ruchinna: 7:44am On Dec 10, 2017
Because it's more profitable

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 10, 2017
Oga Op there are some holes in your write up.
First, foreign trained docs are called INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL GRADUATES IMG not FMG.
Secondly, all foreign trained graduates are made to go tthrough the same MDCN 3months remedial courses and exams irrespective of country of training. Thus the US or UK trained docs are classed in the same category as the Togo or Ukraine trained doc, this is to bring them up to speed with the realities and peculiarities of Nigerian practise.
Then i should add that those of us who trained here in Nigeria are in no way inferior to those trained in Western Europe, its all about perspectives. Tropical medicine is way peculiar and different from that in the West. During my housemanship, I had IMGs from UK , and tbf, they struggled to catch up with the pace and needed to be guided by us, however they also have their strengths.

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Adeyeye09(m): 7:46am On Dec 10, 2017
hmmm
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by kay29000(m): 7:46am On Dec 10, 2017
Hmm! Interesting.
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by LegitBoy(m): 7:47am On Dec 10, 2017
Your reason 2 &3 is very shallow and show that you're really intimidated by the FMG .

Nawa o

22 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Naturalobserver(m): 7:48am On Dec 10, 2017
Excuse me be specific plz....If its not US,UK or Canada then its not abroad.

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by LegitBoy(m): 7:48am On Dec 10, 2017
wiloy2k8:
they love to study medcine in Ukraine and India
Are you comparing UKRAINE AND INDIA Health facilities to that of Nigeria? Even Kenya in Africa is better than Nigeria.

26 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 10, 2017
Are u sure
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nukilia: 7:50am On Dec 10, 2017
obonujoker:

I don't see any reason why someone should wake up in the morning to create a topic which bashes those who chose to study medicine abroad. This is not a good trend.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Hotstew(m): 7:52am On Dec 10, 2017
You think foreign trained doctors are substandard but for every headache, you (the ones who can afford it) all run to Europe and India.

10 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by acupikin: 7:52am On Dec 10, 2017
Amirullaha:

You are wicked my brother... How can you create a topic and still be FTC
lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by DALE917(f): 7:52am On Dec 10, 2017
All i'm seeing here is beef!
Sit in your Nigeria if you cannot afford the "abroad"

24 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nukilia: 7:52am On Dec 10, 2017
LegitBoy:
Your reason 2 &3 is very shallow and show that you're really intimidated by the FMG .

Nawa o

If the Op is part of the future leaders of this country, then I can say the future is doomed! The OP is also a disaster in the making to have this kind of mindset. grin Nigeria is in trouble!

11 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by blaze1916(m): 7:53am On Dec 10, 2017
Ehen ok
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nukilia: 7:53am On Dec 10, 2017
DALE917:

grin The guy is not OK.

5 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by TWoods(m): 7:54am On Dec 10, 2017
Who needs 3 reasons when there is just 1 major reason? Nigeria is a complete zoo and only a fool will stay in it when other opportunities are available.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 10, 2017
Lol.. And yu have to expose them here...
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Firstcitizen: 7:56am On Dec 10, 2017
Very prejudiced write up.

One question. How come we see people donating money to fly others to India just for treatment if Nigerian trained doctors are better.

Before arguing about facilities, is it not the same poor facilities that are being used to train your "super" Nigerian doctors meaning they are poorly trained?

8 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 10, 2017
DALE917:
Right on the money, I see no reason for the shaming. Its really uncalled for. That's not to say some of the so-called medical schools in Eastern Europe aren't fit to train docs and should be blacklisted

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nukilia: 7:56am On Dec 10, 2017
Naturalobserver:
Excuse me be specific plz....If its not US,UK or Canada then its not abroad.

Why are you like this for God sake cool? When will the slave master syndrome clear off your head?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Seventy Percent Of Teachers In South-west Are Unqualified - TRCN / 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest / How To Lock Your Pussy During Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.