Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,988 members, 7,806,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed (39004 Views)

See What Paul Adefarasin Said About The Lord's Prayer & Reactions / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married / Pope Francis Kisses And Blesses Nigerian Boy Who Went Missing In Rome. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by musicwriter(m): 5:25pm On Dec 10, 2017
adetony244:

everything you said there is a lie, starting from Constatine to the invention of Jesus Christ. in fact, Constatine was not even a pope but an emperor.

Please don't quote me next time, if you don't have anything to say. Pope Francis is the current Roman emperor. Get it?
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by emmyw(m): 5:26pm On Dec 10, 2017
Malcolm101:
You Mean The Way His Church Wants To Include Gay & Lez In The Bible?

make hin go sitedown.
Shut Up
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by rickyrex(m): 5:36pm On Dec 10, 2017
Malcolm101:

make hin go sitedown.
Now I see why u had f9 in English language. Common sense u don't have... Think through your anus since ur brain has gone bad
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by rickyrex(m): 5:37pm On Dec 10, 2017
Malcolm101:
Excuss You! Don't They've Many Bishops Who Are Gay? Or Haven't You Read Of Many Catholic Prists Who Has Sexually Abused Young Boys? Read Man.

Before Looking 4 What To Correct In The Bible, He Should Start With D One In His Church.
Are you saying all gay are catholic or you just want to gain recognition here

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by ladenz(m): 5:45pm On Dec 10, 2017
Mcleo007:

So many retards online... Many don't even know that the Bible was not originally written in English language. Even English language has evolved over time, meaning so many things have been lost in translation over the course of history.

From the original post it appears the change being proposed by the Pope doesn't even affect the English version as we know it. People need to read carefully before commenting

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by saintmark88(m): 5:56pm On Dec 10, 2017
musicwriter:

Europe had nothing to do with Chriistianity until about 312 AD when Pope Consstantine converted to Christianity. This is solid 312 years after Yashua/Yehoshua has died. Before this time, they were killing anybody who believed Yashua/Yehoshua who by the way was black. The more they killed, the more people continued to believe Yashua/Yehoshua.

When the population in their colonies refused to stop believing in Yashua/Yehoshua, it struck them they could actually use religion to control the masses. So, they invented Jesus Christ to replace the original protagonist who they didn't like. The Jesus Christ of today is Cesare Borgia the son of Pope Alexander VI. Christians ever since has been worshipping a human being- Cesare Borgia.

First of all there's no one in history like pope Constantine in d catholic church.........Constantine was an emperor not a pope...go and read history again and stop spreading this manufactured nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Lightening: 5:56pm On Dec 10, 2017
Malcolm101:
Excuss You! Don't They've Many Bishops Who Are Gay? Or Haven't You Read Of Many Catholic Prists Who Has Sexually Abused Young Boys? Read Man.

Before Looking 4 What To Correct In The Bible, He Should Start With D One In His Church.

Just like there are gay, adulterous and ritual pentecostal pastors everywhere. Judge not my brother.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by kekeolu(f): 6:06pm On Dec 10, 2017
New world order tinz loading.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by musicwriter(m): 6:18pm On Dec 10, 2017
saintmark88:

First of all there's no one in history like pope Constantine in d catholic church.........Constantine was an emperor not a pope...go and read history again and stop spreading this manufactured nonsense

Do you need a rockect scientist to tell you I' am talking about emperor Contastine?
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Nobody: 6:28pm On Dec 10, 2017
Ladyhippolyta88:
My dear the catholic church remains the first church on this earth and it is a universal church.Yes I agree that a lot of priest have been accused of sexual misconduct but it does not change the fact that the catholic church the Eastern orthodox church the coptic church and also the Greek orthodox church has a lot to do with Christian history.Are you God to tell me whether or not the prayers are not answered.Mind you about the slave trade issue in the past slavery was supported even in the bible it took Education and enlightenment(the age of enlightenment)before a lot of Christian organisations abolished it, slavery is supported even in the bible e.g. Paul, philemon and oneisimus. Go and research.

Seeing that your bible supports slavery, would you like to be a slave??
I remember it saying "Slaves, obey your master". In obedience to the Bible, shouldn't the slaves in Libya accept their fate and obey the Libyans in all things??.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by lordixon(m): 6:49pm On Dec 10, 2017
Malcolm101:

make hin go sitedown.

don't forget that the bible was pass down to you by the catholic
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Chron1cle(m): 6:52pm On Dec 10, 2017
Raiyell:
Many people read without comprehending. Reading comprehension is so low among Nigerians.

What the pope is calling for is a better translation.

At the moment, the Italian translation of a part of the prayer goes thus:

“He that pushes me into temptation and then sees how I fall,”

The English translation reads:

"Lead me not into temptation and deliver me from all evil."

Can you spot the one that is more Godly among the two versions? The pope desires for the Italian version to not sound spiteful.

Lol -- reading your comments make me go "Na Wa Oh".

In bide to sound intelligent, you ended up shooting yourself in the foot. Between you and the people you're correcting, who lacks comprehension skill?
How does what you just asserted directly equate to the apt interpretation of what is contained in the original post?
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by olylove: 6:52pm On Dec 10, 2017
VISTIN:

God didn't lead Job into temptation, Satan tempted Job and God knowing the stuff He has in Job, allowed it for a purpose.

Today, it's something to anchor on in times of challenges. We are tempted by our own desires, not by God.

For, let's sit down and meditate about these things before destructive criticism. As long as I'm concerned, this Pope is not doing a bad work.

For those who are mentioning the Catholic Church and the Anti Christ, you have to close your eyes and open your mind to God if you want to make Heaven.

Anything GOD has not sanctioned will not happen to His church. If Satan himself likes let him claim to be the Pope.

The Catholic faith is indestructible, Jesus Christ is our foundation. The gates of hell shall not prevail. Long live the church
See me I am questioning your understanding of the Bible... I am just seeing it the way it is... God gave Satan the permission or go ahead to tempt JOB... Let's look at another scenario... After Jesus Christ fasted what did the Bible said happen? He was led into the desert by the spirit...to be what? TEMPTED... He was led into the desert by the spirit to be tempted bri
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 10, 2017
Some people truly have a problem with comprehension. Before making a comment, endeavor to understand first.

The Pope was speaking about modifying the Italian translation of Our Lord's prayer not changing the prayer in its entirety for the whole world.

He claims the prayer has been wrongly translated in the Italian language. He wishes to re-translate it in light of recent theological research.

Please before you bash the Catholic on its stance on theology, remember that the Holy Church has a college of theologians in charge of these researches.

If the above post were an examination in English Language Comprehension. 90% of the people who commented would have failed woefully.

Bloggers are actually doing more harm by the way they fashion the headlines. They design them in such way that even before reading the story line, you already have a stance on the issue and in most cases people don't even bother reading anymore they just comment based on the heading. It's saddening.

Always read with a view to understanding. Thank you all.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Nobody: 7:01pm On Dec 10, 2017
Ladyhippolyta88:
My dear the catholic church remains the first church on this earth and it is a universal church.Yes I agree that a lot of priest have been accused of sexual misconduct but it does not change the fact that the catholic church the Eastern orthodox church the coptic church and also the Greek orthodox church has a lot to do with Christian history.Are you God to tell me whether or not the prayers are not answered.Mind you about the slave trade issue in the past slavery was supported even in the bible it took Education and enlightenment(the age of enlightenment)before a lot of Christian organisations abolished it, slavery is supported even in the bible e.g. Paul, philemon and oneisimus. Go and research.

There's no difference between Muslims and Catholics.. They venerate humans more than they respect God. Muslims are usually quick to harm others once the truth about Muhammad is spoken out. Catholics on the other hand keep begging Mary to pray for them, as if their mouths are tired.
Both of these figures are just mere beings, enough of the idolatry already.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:03pm On Dec 10, 2017
desreek9:
I've always wondered what they mean when they say "and lead us not into temptation" even Jesus Christ was tempted three times.

op abeg remove that "catholics and pentecostals", pentecostals dnt recite that undecided

Who was the source of the temptation?

Certainly not "Our Father who art in Heaven".

Nothing do day prayer, abegi.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by LogicStatement: 7:09pm On Dec 10, 2017
olylove:
No matter how highly placed a man is in Christianity, we must always evaluate what he says with what the Bible says... Not everything they say are correct just because they say so... Check the life of JOB in the Bible, GOD himself led JOB into temptation just to test JOBs faith... We as Christians must always filter whatever our pastors are feeding us... That is why the Bible is written in so many language just for you and I to understand.... Peace.... Weather you super coat it or not you Mah must undergo ur temptation
Don't get it wrong! God did not lead Job into temptation, it was Satan. Satan came to God to ask for permission to tempt Job to prove to God that Job can betray Him and so, God gave him permission to tempt Job
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 10, 2017
Chron1cle:

In bide to sound intelligent, you ended up shooting yourself in the foot. Between you and the people you're correcting, who lacks comprehension skill?
How does what you just asserted directly equate to the apt interpretation of what is contained in the original post?

Mumu
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by ehbellsho(m): 7:16pm On Dec 10, 2017
Revelation 22:18-19 I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the
book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

So be careful Pope
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Mechejy: 7:21pm On Dec 10, 2017
olylove:
No matter how highly placed a man is in Christianity, we must always evaluate what he says with what the Bible says... Not everything they say are correct just because they say so... Check the life of JOB in the Bible, GOD himself led JOB into temptation just to test JOBs faith... We as Christians must always filter whatever our pastors are feeding us... That is why the Bible is written in so many language just for you and I to understand.... Peace.... Weather you super coat it or not you Mah must undergo ur temptation
yes not everything they we will agree especially those ones thier flesh and blood controls.Queen comy ugwumsinachi knows why
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Gggg102(m): 7:25pm On Dec 10, 2017
Bidobado:

There's no difference between Muslims and Catholics.. They venerate humans more than they respect God. Muslims are usually quick to harm others once the truth about Muhammad is spoken out. Catholics on the other hand keep begging Mary to pray for them, as if their mouths are tired.
Both of these figures are just mere beings, enough of the idolatry already.

Jews are also ready to stone people to death if they blaspheme against Jehovah. They even crucified Jesus. Yet you look up to them and their acts when you read old testament.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by billyG(m): 7:34pm On Dec 10, 2017
which kind confusion b this?are dey going 2 remove that part where Jesus was lead by d holy spirit to b tempted by d devil?
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by billyG(m): 7:43pm On Dec 10, 2017
LogicStatement:

Don't get it wrong! God did not lead Job into temptation, it was Satan. Satan came to God to ask for permission to tempt Job to prove to God that Job can betray Him and so, God gave him permission to tempt Job
it is d same thing na,God gav d approval,satan is tempting on his behalf.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by mhizsuzzy(f): 7:46pm On Dec 10, 2017
Malcolm101:

The same way some pastors are sleeping around

Spare me that crap, that they are priests and pastors doesn't make them least human. The best you can do for them is to pray for them. So don't form all righteous.

Back to the topic before someone deviated
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by awesomegenius(m): 7:48pm On Dec 10, 2017
The real anti Christ is gradually revealing itself
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by forget101O(m): 7:49pm On Dec 10, 2017
After many maneuvering and turn-over of the Bible, ‘they’ will still call it ‘THE HOLY BIBLE.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by mhizsuzzy(f): 7:49pm On Dec 10, 2017
ehbellsho:
Revelation 22:18-19 I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the
book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

So be careful Pope

The fact we don't get is that English was never the original form of the word. Translation really differs as you may translate a sentence not really corresponding to what the speaker means
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by noskcid(m): 7:50pm On Dec 10, 2017
Unleashing of the ecumenical council

POPE IS AN ANTI-CHRIST
yes come and beat me I dey house
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by authehighness: 8:02pm On Dec 10, 2017
olylove:
*Modified*
Some folks are already quoting to say God did not lead JOB into temptation I agree with you...
But you must also agree with me that God handed JOB over to be tested so what's the difference? U lead someone or you handed someone over? God gave the devil the go ahead, say Oya go test am... Mind you after Jesus fasted he was led into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit to be tested... To face his own temptation... Christ knew what he faced hence that prayer.. Lead us not into temptation...
Drops mic
Know different btw trial and temptation,what pope says is correct,read james 1v12-14,God cannot lead us into temptation,psalm 23 say HE lead us to spring water and green pastures,not temptation,pope says,the phrase,should be,do not allows us fall into temptation,not the later,and igbo translation,is exactly what the pope said

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Fammoboy10(m): 8:08pm On Dec 10, 2017
olylove:
*Modified*
Some folks are already quoting to say God did not lead JOB into temptation I agree with you...
But you must also agree with me that God handed JOB over to be tested so what's the difference? U lead someone or you handed someone over? God gave the devil the go ahead, say Oya go test am... Mind you after Jesus fasted he was led into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit to be tested... To face his own temptation... Christ knew what he faced hence that prayer.. Lead us not into temptation...
Drops mic

Ur right, the pope was right to in some sense... See this.
God is never a tempter and he will never tempt anybody..
James 1:13 Let no one say when he is tempted, I am tempted from God; for God is incapable of being tempted by [what is] evil and He Himself tempts no one...
Considering d case of Job.. God is not d tempter, he only allowed him to be tempted by the devil..
D Devil is d one dat does d tempting...

Lead us not into temptation, as in d scripture means do not allow us to be tempted by the devil,..
Come to think of it, it is unwise that the same God dat is tempting u will now be d one saving you from temptation... See this..

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it...

what im i saying, God will never tempt a man and still be providing way out, it makes no sense rather, as in d case of Job God can allow one to be tempted by the devil, and then provide way out..

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by goodheart02(m): 8:19pm On Dec 10, 2017
Malcolm101:

make hin go sitedown.

Why not use your small brain for once. You're being told that while the bible was being translated from ancient languages to English, many misinterpretations were made. And the pope is only asking for the prayer to be rephrased back to its original ancient context, exactly the way Christ taught it. Read before you reason....reason before you belch trash and disgrace your self.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by olylove: 8:23pm On Dec 10, 2017
Fammoboy10:

Ur right, the pope was right to in some sense... See this.
God is never a tempter and he will never tempt anybody..
James 1:13 Let no one say when he is tempted, I am tempted from God; for God is incapable of being tempted by [what is] evil and He Himself tempts no one...
Considering d case of Job.. God is not d tempter, he only allowed him to be tempted by the devil..
D Devil is d one dat does d tempting...

Lead us not into temptation, as in d scripture means do not allow us to be tempted by the devil,..
Come to think of it, it is unwise that the same God dat is tempting u will now be d one saving you from temptation... See this..

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it...

what im i saying, God will never tempt a man and still be providing way out, it makes no sense rather, as in d case of Job God can allow one to be tempted by the devil, and then provide way out..
That's what am saying. The value for gold can never be known unless it passes through fire.. Weather trial or temptation we Christians must pass through it... That will determine whether our foundation is on a rocky base or a Sandy base... Urs might be a trial mine might be temptation we all have to go through that phase... The Pope is a significant icon in Christianity in this dispensation no one is doubting that... He's the Pope but what ever he says I have to evaluate it with what the Bible says
Drops mic again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Victor Ajisafe Arrested In Sierra Leone Over Hate Speech Against Islam / Daddy Freeze, Crazeclown: Doctor Saves Life In Theatre You Take Gifts To Pastors / Anambra Catholic Church Flooded, Worshippers Hold Service In Front Of Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.