Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (235) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (912792 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sKeetz(m): 10:43pm On May 01, 2018
Please guys, is 98 a good score in toefl? angry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by martinz1: 10:49pm On May 01, 2018
aadeyi:

I think you should shoot for another first degree instead of a community college.
I intend to transfer to a college after cc
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by aadeyi: 10:56pm On May 01, 2018
martinz1:

I intend to transfer to a college after cc

bros I have given my 2cents
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by aadeyi: 10:58pm On May 01, 2018
sKeetz:

check this link bro

https://global-exam.com/en/blog/toefl-ibt/get-a-good-score/what-is-a-good-toefl-score

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by arilewo(m): 12:24am On May 02, 2018
dmajor1:
Hi guys, I got a lot from this tread and I know it's only natural to give back. Visa approved on the 25th of April and this is how it went.

VO: (with a smile) Good morning.

Me: Good morning sir.

VO: How are you?

Me: I'm fine thank you? How are you?

VO: I'm fine. Thank you. (I have already passed my passport, sevis receipt and i20 to him by now). So, you're here for a student visa.

Me: Yeah.

VO: Tell me about the program you're going for.

Me: I'm going for a chemistry doctoral program at Florida State University. I'd be taking courses in Molecular biology, cell biology, bioinformatics... (he motioned for me to stop).

VO: Tell me about your background.

Me: I have a bachelors degree in Chemistry and Masters degree in analytical chemistry. I currently work at a Pharmaceutical firm as a Medical Sales Representative (motioned me to stop. He was typing all along).

VO: So your 2nd degree is from University of Ibadan?

Me: Yes

VO: And you've being working at a pharmaceutical firm since...

Me: February last year (he nodded).

VO: how many other schools did you apply to?

Me: five others.

VO: five in total?

Me: no. Five others aside FSU.

VO: oh... Six in total. Who's paying?

Me: I got a graduate Assistantship (nods and reaches for white paper).

VO: I have approved your visa. Congratulations and have a good day (I didn't here more than this).

Me: Thank you. Have a good day too.

Thanks to everyone in here whose stories have one time or the other inspired hope.
Congratulations to you my brother. Analytical Chemistry, UI which set? I am 2013 set, same course same school.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ThePianoGuy: 12:32am On May 02, 2018
sKeetz:
good score
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ThePianoGuy: 12:37am On May 02, 2018
Adeish01:

Good day Bro, I'm Adeish I'm using this opportunity to apologize to mr Lincoffm and Nairaland as a whole...Mr Lincoffm is a kind hearted man who wanted the success of everyone ..I never intended to scam him but I didn't know he was going to do the registration immediately ...I was planning if he could tell me the proccess i will later tell him to hold a space for me butone,even tho he asked if i have the money which i said yes, out of being a kind hearted man he did the registration for me without asking for "proof" of the fund with me or not ....I'm hereby apologizing to Mr lincoffm and Nairaland for my cunning character ... And I will never sit for the exam without paying him. I hope my apology is accepted by him and nairaland as a whole. Pls send me the acct details i will pay into thanks
hahahaha, you people are really funny

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Teedawg: 12:43am On May 02, 2018
To all those who have renewed their passport here in the US please how long did it take to get the renewed passport ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by banji001: 3:05am On May 02, 2018
Please is there anyone that has any details about SEVIS fee, I just got admitted and been told that I will need to get sevis fee payment done, I just want to know about it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 4:02am On May 02, 2018
sKeetz:
Depends on the schools you are looking at. For 70% of the schools, 98 is a very good score. However for most top schools you will need a 100 to get admitted.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sKeetz(m): 4:05am On May 02, 2018
femi312:
Depends on the schools you are looking at. For 70% of the schools, 98 is a very good score. However for most top schools you will need a 100 to get admitted.

Oh not bad then, I'm not looking forward to going to mit or Stanford.

I was thinking its not a good score since most scores I've seen here are a 100+
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 4:05am On May 02, 2018
banji001:
Please is there anyone that has any details about SEVIS fee, I just got admitted and been told that I will need to get sevis fee payment done, I just want to know about it
You have to pay SEVIS fee at least 3 days before your VISA interview date. It is $200 and you cant make the payment in Nigeria. Someone outside Nigeria has to make the payment for you or you can go to Cotonou to make the payment. The easier option is for someone to make the payment for you but have it in mind there is a western union charge of $10. Fill the coupon here https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/index.html and send it to whoever will make the payment for you.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sKeetz(m): 4:06am On May 02, 2018
ThePianoGuy:
good score

Ok thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 4:07am On May 02, 2018
sKeetz:

Oh not bad then, I'm not looking forward to going to mit or Stanford.

I was thinking its not a good score since most scores I've seen here are a 100+
MIt or Stanford? I wont want to assume but I believe there cut off will be 100. Go to your department on MIT/Stanford website and check for their requirements to be sure you meet the cut off
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 4:08am On May 02, 2018
hilaryxoxo:
Guys,

What do you think about this?
I applied to MSF/MFE programs at MIT, Johns Hopkins, Villanova, Oxford, Mcgill and Durham. Unfortunately, I got into all but the ones I really wanted - MIT, Oxford and Mcgill. TBH, i have no interest in the other schools and only applied there as a backup plan.

Option 1: Should i fashee and just go to Durham?

PRO's
- Cheapest amongst all my schools (£7,500 scholarship)
- My brother works in the UK so there's convenience
- I may be lucky enough to land a job in my dream BB

CON
- I may not be as lucky as my brother in terms of getting a job.
- I'd be more advanced than my classmates given my background

Option 2: Should I just stay back in Nigeria for another year, re-write the GRE (I got 322 the last time and MIT's average is 327) and re-apply (i'd obviously apply to more schools and i think i'd look into Canada)

PRO's
- I get to complete my CFA (hopefully)
- I may get into my dream school (MIT) or any other top school i apply to

CON
- I may not get into my dream school
- Wasted opportunities

From your current options, MSF at Villanova seems the best option. The reviews on quantnet seems good and It has strong placement stats. The program seems to be doing well with placements for IB and trading. With strong networking on your side, you can land an IB position at a nice BB. However the downside for you is that the program is non-STEM (did you check that while applying?). So if your risk level is high (lol), you can negotiate some scholarship with the admissions office and then take the offer knowing fully well that your chances of working in the US for >1 year after graduation is dicey.

JHU is a no no (the business school is new and network is not strong yet which may not help you in job placements)

Durham in the UK is a no no too unless you want to return back home after studies

So I'll suggest two options

OPTION A

Take Villanova. It's a reputed program with strong placement stats.. But your chances of staying back in the US is dicey because it is non-STEM. If you're taking it, negotiate scholarship with the admissions office. Use your diversity (African student) as a bargaining tool. Also use your other admits and partial scholarship as bargaining tool. Don't tell them the name of the school or the scholarship involved unless they ask you.

OPTION B

Complete your CFA (is it level 1 or level 3?). I guess it's level 1

Improve your GRE and hit an insane Quant score

Get 1 more year work experience in Finance on your resume

Improve your C++ proficiency through MooCs (I'll tell you why)

Add some extracurricular

Then reapply to McGill and MIT (I'm not really a big fan of this MIT program. Story for another day)

McGill has a very nice program though. You also get finance experience through their business school firm.

Also Add
1. Princeton MFin (confirm if it's STEM but I think it is)

2. Columbia MSFE from the business school (very expensive but insane placements at BB and it's STEM)

3. University of Toronto MFE (their admissions interviews are very technical. Make sure you revise your finance concepts very well before taking them)

4. Vanderbilt University MSF (I won't recommend this program cos of location disadvantage and the fact that the business school is not reputed. It's STEM though)

5. MSF Baruch at CUNY (very strong name in Finance. Apply if its STEM)

If you don't mind considering Financial Engineering, your knowledge of C++ comes in handy. It majorly leads to roles in trading (algorithm stuff). But you need an insane Quant to crack this one. I will recommend >165 as an okayish score and >168 as a safe score

If you like Financial Engineering, then add the following. All Financial Engineering programs are STEM

6. Columbia MFE from the Engineering school (insane placements in BB)

7. UCBerkerley Haas Business School MFE (beware of technical admissions interview questions and nice placement stats)

8. UCLA Anderson Business School MFE (technical interview questions and nice placement stats)

9. Gatech QCF (cheapest reputed FE program on the market but may not land you in Wall Street)

10. Rutgers Financial Engineering (location advantage but beware of their enrollment deposit. Enrollment deposit is >$3500, so you may have to start saving for that just incase. This one may land you in Wall Street or a BB in New Jersey. Good deal I think)

Wish you the very best!!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nikkydave: 4:40am On May 02, 2018
Good morning House,

Am applying for a 6 weeks certification program in school of aeronautics (airline career)USA. Am an experienced banker but want to change career as I needed to run a shift program to enable me attend to my family and other things.
The school will be sending i20 this week and am processing SEVIS as well.
Since its only 6weeks course, hope they would grant me and my two kids Visa as I would want them to travel with me.
Please I need your advice.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ThePianoGuy: 5:03am On May 02, 2018
Nikkydave:
Good morning House,

Am applying for a 6 weeks certification program in school of aeronautics (airline career)USA. Am an experienced banker but want to change career as I needed to run a shift program to enable me attend to my family and other things.
Since its only 6weeks course, hope they would grant me and my two kids Visa as I would want them to travel with me.
traveling with your kids for a six weeks course ? Wow you have to show strong ties back in Nigeria and traveling with your kids is not the best option...,,

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ThePianoGuy: 5:06am On May 02, 2018
Teedawg:
To all those who have renewed their passport here in the US please how long did it take to get the renewed passport ?
am even considering renewing my passport too here in Beijing China
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ThePianoGuy: 5:08am On May 02, 2018
LagosismyHome:

i am not a VO so cannot really say for sure . It would be my recommendation to go with original but as for copies . There is a thread where VO attends to questions, you might want to check directly with a VO
good idea dear
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ThePianoGuy: 5:10am On May 02, 2018
martinz1:

Please can one get visa if he applied to community college for associate degree
very possible but not advisable because you will really have to give a good response to convince any vo!!!! Just apply to a top university!!!! Peace
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:15am On May 02, 2018
Nikkydave:
Good morning House,

6 weeks course and going with kids ... shouts runaway . I don't think it a good idea
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dmajor1(m): 7:14am On May 02, 2018
Thank you sir. Mine is much more recent. I graduated 2016.

arilewo:

Congratulations to you my brother. Analytical Chemistry, UI which set? I am 2013 set, same course same school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dmajor1(m): 7:16am On May 02, 2018
Amen! Thank you mam.

LagosismyHome:

Congrats ... May God bless your new journey

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dmajor1(m): 7:17am On May 02, 2018
Smiles... Thanks boss.

aadeyi:

wait fess..... are you in the right thread?cos i dont think this is applicable here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dmajor1(m): 7:18am On May 02, 2018
Thanks Baba.

afodam247:

Congratulations. Wish you safe journey.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by hilaryxoxo(f): 8:54am On May 02, 2018
Chidinho10:

From your current options, MSF at Villanova seems the best option. The reviews on quantnet seems good and It has strong placement stats. The program seems to be doing well with placements for IB and trading. With strong networking on your side, you can land an IB position at a nice BB. However the downside for you is that the program is non-STEM (did you check that while applying?). So if your risk level is high (lol), you can negotiate some scholarship with the admissions office and then take the offer knowing fully well that your chances of working in the US for >1 year after graduation is dicey.

JHU is a no no (the business school is new and network is not strong yet which may not help you in job placements)

Durham in the UK is a no no too unless you want to return back home after studies

So I'll suggest two options

OPTION A

Take Villanova. It's a reputed program with strong placement stats.. But your chances of staying back in the US is dicey because it is non-STEM. If you're taking it, negotiate scholarship with the admissions office. Use your diversity (African student) as a bargaining tool. Also use your other admits and partial scholarship as bargaining tool. Don't tell them the name of the school or the scholarship involved unless they ask you.

OPTION B

Complete your CFA (is it level 1 or level 3?). I guess it's level 1

Improve your GRE and hit an insane Quant score

Get 1 more year work experience in Finance on your resume

Improve your C++ proficiency through MooCs (I'll tell you why)

Add some extracurricular

Then reapply to McGill and MIT (I'm not really a big fan of this MIT program. Story for another day)

McGill has a very nice program though. You also get finance experience through their business school firm.

Also Add
1. Princeton MFin (confirm if it's STEM but I think it is)

2. Columbia MSFE from the business school (very expensive but insane placements at BB and it's STEM)

3. University of Toronto MFE (their admissions interviews are very technical. Make sure you revise your finance concepts very well before taking them)

4. Vanderbilt University MSF (I won't recommend this program cos of location disadvantage and the fact that the business school is not reputed. It's STEM though)

5. MSF Baruch at CUNY (very strong name in Finance. Apply if its STEM)

If you don't mind considering Financial Engineering, your knowledge of C++ comes in handy. It majorly leads to roles in trading (algorithm stuff). But you need an insane Quant to crack this one. I will recommend >165 as an okayish score and >168 as a safe score

If you like Financial Engineering, then add the following. All Financial Engineering programs are STEM

6. Columbia MFE from the Engineering school (insane placements in BB)

7. UCBerkerley Haas Business School MFE (beware of technical admissions interview questions and nice placement stats)

8. UCLA Anderson Business School MFE (technical interview questions and nice placement stats)

9. Gatech QCF (cheapest reputed FE program on the market but may not land you in Wall Street)

10. Rutgers Financial Engineering (location advantage but beware of their enrollment deposit. Enrollment deposit is >$3500, so you may have to start saving for that just incase. This one may land you in Wall Street or a BB in New Jersey. Good deal I think)

Wish you the very best!!!

WOW! Thank you so much for this. I am sending you a PM right away. Lets talk more.
I think i'd be re-apply. For my CFA, I already passed level 1, would be writing level 2 in June so hopefully, I get to apply to the schools as a level 3 candidate. One thing though, I would say that my applications were very whisky. I plan on doing way better this time.

Of the schools you mentioned, I already knew about the Princeton program, i don't think its for me though. I'm waay out of speck relative to the class average. If I could change my GPA, maybe i'd have more confidence to apply but unfortunately, its pretty much set in stone - Though very good, it'll look so meager compared to the perfect 4.0's.

I just checked the Columbia MSFE program, it looks really really good but it is SUPER EXPENSIVE. 100k per year for two years! My parents would faint! I'd add Toronto to my list, not so sure about Vanderbilt and Baruch. The former doesn't strike me, it seems like just another regular "MSF" and as for the latter, the school "Baruch College" doesn't strike me as a prestigious school. Its not even ranked on QS world ranking and THE World University Ranking.

Financial engineering is a no-go area for me. I was actually considering it before but i don't think I want to be competing with those Chinese guys, it seems like more of their thing.

Are you proficient with C++ ? i actually want to learn it, probably after my exams in June... Also, what extracurricular is there to be involved in as a working professional?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by RIchieSuazo(m): 8:55am On May 02, 2018
Nikkydave:
Good morning House,

Don't even attempt taking your kids ....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sorelee(m): 9:10am On May 02, 2018
dmajor1:
Hi guys, I got a lot from this tread and I know it's only natural to give back. Visa approved on the 25th of April and this is how it went.

VO: (with a smile) Good morning.

Me: Good morning sir.

VO: How are you?

Me: I'm fine thank you? How are you?

VO: I'm fine. Thank you. (I have already passed my passport, sevis receipt and i20 to him by now). So, you're here for a student visa.

Me: Yeah.

VO: Tell me about the program you're going for.

Me: I'm going for a chemistry doctoral program at Florida State University. I'd be taking courses in Molecular biology, cell biology, bioinformatics... (he motioned for me to stop).

VO: Tell me about your background.

Me: I have a bachelors degree in Chemistry and Masters degree in analytical chemistry. I currently work at a Pharmaceutical firm as a Medical Sales Representative (motioned me to stop. He was typing all along).

VO: So your 2nd degree is from University of Ibadan?

Me: Yes

VO: And you've being working at a pharmaceutical firm since...

Me: February last year (he nodded).

VO: how many other schools did you apply to?

Me: five others.

VO: five in total?

Me: no. Five others aside FSU.

VO: oh... Six in total. Who's paying?

Me: I got a graduate Assistantship (nods and reaches for white paper).

VO: I have approved your visa. Congratulations and have a good day (I didn't here more than this).

Me: Thank you. Have a good day too.

Thanks to everyone in here whose stories have one time or the other inspired hope.

Congrats!!! All the best

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.