Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (913012 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by omoluabiguy: 7:01pm On Dec 28, 2017
Fatezee:
Was interviewed by a cute black American lady but denied.

V.O: Why are you going to USA

I am going to the United States to study for my masters degree in Civil engineering at Cleveland state university ohio, i will be specializing on transportation engineering.

V.O What is your highest degree

Bachelor of technology she cuts in what aspect of technology, i said Civil engineering

V.O What makes you decide to study civil engineering

I choose to study civil Engineering because i inspire to contribute to the infrastructural development of nigeria, i will be specializing on transportation engineering, this is because nigeria suffers 3 major problem in her transportation System which are bad road network, traffic congestion, n flooding on roads, this are the problem i inspire to tackle as a Civil Engineer

V. O What attempt have you made to tackle any of this problems?
During my undergraduate, i did a research on rainwater harvesting system, to control flooding at ogbomoso, rainwater harvesting system is a system for conservation of rain water, so we installed it in such a way that we collect rain water frm the roof top n chanel it down into the open well, n it worked .

V.O How many sch

3, cleveland state university, idaho state university, Michigan technological university

V. O Why cleveland not others
I choose cleveland state university because i will be working on a research with professor jackeline on transportation operations and zonal safety, also csu focus more on the transportation aspect of civil engineering, wch is my specialty told her( i wasnt admitd by Michigan tech)

V. O Who is sponsoring you
My elder brother

V. O What is his name

V.O Why does he wants to sponsor you

He manages my dad's construction company,

(ooh okay cool)

V.O Can i see his statement

yes

V.O Business or personal account

Personal account

V.O Any test

Yes, GRE

V.O Can i see??

Yes, maam

V.O Apart frm your brother do u av any personal fund...

I have my some savings

V.O Is your bro married

No, Ma

V.O What year did you graduate

V.O What have you been doing??

I went to my compulsory national youth service corp for a year, after completion i got employed at my present place of work as a **********

V.O Tell me ur study plan

[b]I will be going to cleveland state university for my masters in Civil engineering for a duration of 28months, i will be taking a total unit of 30, wch comprises 24credit course work and 6credit thesis, [/b]i will specializing on transportation engineering and will be taking courses highway engineering, transportation engineering, civil engineering analysis system, traffic control.

V.O What will you do after graduation

I will return to nigeria to work for the federal ministry of work wch will enable me to work hand in hand with construction companies and be part of the team that makes decisions in nigerian transportation system.

V.O Do you work for your dad.. ??

No, i specialize on transportation, and his specialty is building

V.O Have you travelled to any non African countries

No ma

V.O. I believe you are a very strong candidate, but i want to make sure u meet all the requirements am very soorry pls reapply... Honestly i was confident n didnt stammer,

I need your opinion, pls what do you think went wrong in my transcripts So i can work on it

Some VOs are lenient while some are super strict with the answers applicants give. That VO you met with was really on top of her game and ain’t letting go of any criteria in considering you even though your interview sounded well, but 28 credit hours in a duration of 24 months done make sense. As a student on F1, minimum you can take per semester is 9 credit hours. Now let’s do the maths, in 3 semesters you’ll be done with 27 credit hours. The total credit hours you mentioned doesn’t tally with any masters corriculum. You either do a 30 credit hours or 33 credit hours. There is nothing like 28 credit hours for masters so apparently she came to the conclusion that you don’t know what you are saying. Sorry about your denial. Try to refire

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by omoluabiguy: 7:03pm On Dec 28, 2017
Solomon27:

Try and reason with a CGI worker, they can help you bout getting a date but might cost you money though. I heard they can help about approval too grin

Lol you joke too much! CGI can’t do anything for you except you just want to do charity for a CGI worker by giving for fun. The US Embassy is nothing like the typical Nigerian System

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Fatezee(f): 7:05pm On Dec 28, 2017
omoluabiguy:

Some VOs are lenient while some are super strict with the answers applicants give. That VO you met with was really on top of her game and ain’t letting go of any criteria in considering you even though your interview sounded well, but 28 credit hours in a duration of 24 months done make sense. As a student on F1, minimum you can take per semester is 9 credit hours. Now let’s do the maths, in 3 semesters you’ll be done with 27 credit hours. The total credit hours you mentioned doesn’t tally with any masters corriculum. You either do a 30 credit hours or 33 credit hours. There is nothing like 28 credit hours for masters so apparently she came to the conclusion that you don’t know what you are saying. Sorry about your denial. Try to refire

Thanks for you review

Not 28 credit hour, 28monthS duration ( according to my i20). I said 30 total credit unit , 24unit course work 6 unit thesis (according to the school website )
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by omoluabiguy: 7:07pm On Dec 28, 2017
Solomon27:
Guess they do pity reapply student visa applicants cheesy

There’s nothing like pity, if your reapplied application don’t have any changes from your first one, you are likely to get the same response all over till something changes

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by omoluabiguy: 7:12pm On Dec 28, 2017
Fatezee:

Thanks for you review

Not 28 credit hour, 28monthS duration ( according to my i20). I said 30 total credit unit , 24unit course work 6 unit thesis (according to the school website )

You can actually finish 30 credit units in 12 months if you do 9,12,9. 28 months doesn’t sound right to a sensitive VO. That was my point.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Fatezee(f): 7:16pm On Dec 28, 2017
omoluabiguy:

You can actually finish 30 credit units in 12 months if you do 9,12,9. 28 months doesn’t sound right to a sensitive VO. That was my point.

Okay.. Now i get your point.. Thanks..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 7:22pm On Dec 28, 2017
Chidinho10:

You are right but not all courses give your "full funding and stipends". So if my course does not give "full funding and stipends", it will be wise for me to seek alternative funding opportunities rather than have fake hope of getting the "full funding and stipends". Your assertion is valid but it doesn't work for all courses - not even all STEM courses.
Full Funding and stipend Mr.Twoods was talking about concerns a PhD. There's a warning everyone on academia stackexchange Gives " NEVER PAY FOR A SCIENCE PHD". cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Lamexx(m): 7:25pm On Dec 28, 2017
omoluabiguy:

The best thing is to be silent on the number of months. Just state 30 credit, 12 unit course work, 12 unit elective and 6 unit research as the case may be. In my case, my I20 stated 36 month duration but I can't mention that I want to spend 36 month for a Masters degree so I was silent about it. I just stated the number of credit units I will be doing. I do not know whether it is standard for most school but the minimum is 30 units for thesis Master and 36 units or more for Masters by coursework. Hope this helps.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 7:27pm On Dec 28, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
Full Funding and stipend Mr.Twoods was talking about concerns a PhD. There's a warning everyone on academia stackexchange Gives " NEVER PAY FOR A SCIENCE PHD". cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Yeah, almost all STEM PhDs are fully funded. That's something we all know
But not all Masters degrees (even in STEM) are fully funded ... Thats what my emphasis is
So it's wrong to generalize that all courses (even STEM) offers opportunities for full funding ... Thats my assertion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by omoluabiguy: 7:30pm On Dec 28, 2017
Lamexx:

The best thing is to be silent on the number of months. Just state 30 credit, 12 unit course work, 12 unit elective and 6 unit research as the case may be. In my case, my I20 stated 36 month duration but I can't mention that I want to spend 36 month for a Masters degree so I was silent about it. I just stated the number of credit units I will be doing. I do not know whether it is standard for most school but the minimum is 30 units for thesis Master and 36 units or more for Masters by coursework. Hope this helps.

Yes most applicants don’t understand that the schools usually add up your OPT period to the I-20 which inflates the courseworks duration, but usually; you are done with your masters within a year or 18 months at the maximum before proceeding to OPT.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 7:34pm On Dec 28, 2017
Chidinho10:

Yeah, almost all STEM PhDs are fully funded. That's something we all know
But not all Masters degrees (even in STEM) are fully funded ... Thats what my emphasis is
So it's wrong to generalize that all courses (even STEM) offers opportunities for full funding ... Thats my assertion
As a PhD holder cum researcher, when someone like Twoods mentions Graduate degree, he's automatically referring to a PhD. As a Doctoral student in the sciences, you work for the university (very intensively, and you're not allowed to do anything else), hence the research body must reward you with a small token of the research grant. the same expectations are not granted to MSc students, who may not want to tread the treacherous path of the frustrated academic cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by scaezar: 7:39pm On Dec 28, 2017
TWoods:

Defer till fall 2018.

Was thinking this too. But is there a way i can manage the appointment schedule so ill still be able to use this '64k'
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ProfOjah1234: 7:40pm On Dec 28, 2017
Solomon27:

Try and reason with a CGI worker, they can help you bout getting a date but might cost you money though. I heard they can help about approval too grin
If to say i fit see you one vs one, I go use cane flog that your head wey no correct for that bolded statement.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 28, 2017
Pm me now
Adebusayo:
Please I need an affordable hotel around Obalende urgently. Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by k199192: 7:57pm On Dec 28, 2017
ProfOjah1234:

If to say i fit see you one vs one, I go use cane flog that your head wey no correct for that bolded statement.
some people may never have sense.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Lamzee(m): 8:00pm On Dec 28, 2017
ProfOjah1234:

ProfOjah, you go allow make oja burst for him body. No mind the Bro jooor
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Teedawg: 8:31pm On Dec 28, 2017
Please anyone knows any African restaurant in Pitts?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by k199192: 8:53pm On Dec 28, 2017
Teedawg:
I don't want to troll you o. But if you can type this on NL I believe you can type it on Google too.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Wolexy1212(m): 8:55pm On Dec 28, 2017
scaezar:

Was thinking this too. But is there a way i can manage the appointment schedule so ill still be able to use this '64k'
Sorry about the delay bro. The 64k visa fee is valid for a year, so you can still use it for fall.
Or, mail the school to give you concessional extension before your next interview in Jan. VO would see the updated i-20 and it won't be an issue.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Solomon27(m): 10:02pm On Dec 28, 2017
Wolexy1212:

Sorry about the delay bro. The 64k visa fee is valid for a year, so you can still use it for fall.
Or, mail the school to give you concessional extension before your next interview in Jan. VO would see the updated i-20 and it won't be an issue.

Lols... visa fee valid for a year?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Solomon27(m): 10:11pm On Dec 28, 2017
omoluabiguy:

There’s nothing like pity, if your reapplied application don’t have any changes from your first one, you are likely to get the same response all over till something changes

The only change is one should have a better presentation, not necessary there should change in ds-160.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 28, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
As a PhD holder cum researcher, when someone like Twoods mentions Graduate degree, he's automatically referring to a PhD. As a Doctoral student in the sciences, you work for the university (very intensively, and you're not allowed to do anything else), hence the research body must reward you with a small token of the research grant. the same expectations are not granted to MSc students, who may not want to tread the treacherous path of the frustrated academic cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Yeah that's true. But the original post I quoted wasn't made by TWoods though
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by omoluabiguy: 10:29pm On Dec 28, 2017
Solomon27:

The only change is one should have a better presentation, not necessary there should change in ds-160.

Whatever your definition of change is. I can’t remember mentioning a change in ds-160
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Wolexy1212(m): 10:49pm On Dec 28, 2017
Solomon27:

Lols... visa fee valid for a year?
Mr man, why are you so averse to knowledge. Stop displaying your high level of ignorance in the public. A simple google search is all you need.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Solomon27(m): 11:24pm On Dec 28, 2017
Wolexy1212:

Mr man, why are you so averse to knowledge. Stop displaying your high level of ignorance in the public. A simple google search is all you need.

I don't understand why people find it so easy to just talk to anybody anyhow behind their phone... what have I said that warrant such from you... was only asking if a visa fee is still valid after a delay... All you could do is talk anyhow to someone you don't know. It is very wrong, mind the way you talk to people... No one knows tomorrow.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Teedawg: 11:38pm On Dec 28, 2017
k199192:
I don't want to troll you o. But if you can type this on NL I believe you can type it on Google too.
Trust me I used google maps but the result I saw was not encouraging that's why I needed somone that has had human experience
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Wolexy1212(m): 11:41pm On Dec 28, 2017
Solomon27:

I don't understand why people find it so easy to just talk to anybody anyhow behind their phone... what have I said that warrant such from you... was only asking if a visa fee is still valid after a delay... All you could do is talk anyhow to someone you don't know. It is very wrong, mind the way you talk to people... No one knows tomorrow.
I still maintain your aversion to knowledge. The person that was delayed already paid another 64k on 27th but couldn't get a near date. He needed to know what to do with the new 64k. Learn to read before jumping into conclusion. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by BigBoss8296: 11:45pm On Dec 28, 2017
Please Gurus in the house, I need suggestions on university that offer full funding for Mechanical Engineering based on your experience.

Masters preferably as I am scared of PhD longtime commitment.
GRE Quant:162, undergraduate score of 3.60/4.00

I have;
Texas Tech
Tennessee Tech University
Colorado School of Mines
TAMUK
University of Kansas.

Please feel free to criticize my choice of school too. Thank you

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 12:15am On Dec 29, 2017
BigBoss8296:
Please Gurus in the house, I need suggestions on university that offer full funding for Mechanical Engineering based on your experience.

Masters preferably as I am scared of PhD longtime commitment.
GRE Quant:162, undergraduate score of 3.60/4.00

I have;
Texas Tech
Tennessee Tech University
Colorado School of Mines
TAMUK
University of Kansas.

Please feel free to criticize my choice of school too. Thank you

On what basis did you select the above schools?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 12:16am On Dec 29, 2017
Teedawg:

Perhaps you should get to school first before thinking of food?

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by MrAdelaja: 12:24am On Dec 29, 2017
visa approved on the 27th of dec. 6:30 am. Thanks to the guys behind this great platform. God bless you all. I want to specially thank Daniel Sadiq for the mock interview. He actually approved my visa.

Vo: (smiling) good morning

Me: (also smiling) good morning

Vo: how was the holidays?

Me: it was fine. Yours?

Vo: pass me your passport and I-20
(I passed them)

Vo: what is your highest qualification?

Me: I have a bsc. in Social Studies

Vo: what school?

Me: Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife, osun state.

Vo: when did you graduate?

Me: I graduated sept 2015

Vo: what have you been doing since then?

Me: after graduation, I went for the compulsory national youth service Corp program in April 2016, where I was posted to kaduna state. I finish my program April of this year. Then got a job at IDM in August.

Vo : where did you serve?

Me: I served at Paki premier Academy, where I worked as a teacher.

Vo: what class of students did you teach?

Me: primary and nursery pupils

Vo: you currently work at IDM?

Me: yes

Vo: how many schools did you apply to?

Me: 2, University of Arkansas and prairie view A&M University

Vo: why didn't you choose University of Arkansas?

Me: I didn't choose them because I was offered admission into the med administration program which restricts me to just the classroom environment. But Prairie View admitted me into the ms.ed administration program. Which doesn't limit me to classroom activities alone. Basically the difference between MED. administration and Ms.ed administration is that Med administration trains you to be a principal or a school superintendent while with ms.ed administration, you get your certification as an academic but also you can work as an administrator with the ministry of education, private sector NGOs. You are involved in curriculum development, policy formulation, school budgeting etc. which is really what i want.

Vo: mention some of the courses you'd take

Me: I'll be taking computer appreciation, public school law, school budgeting, school management and finance to mention a few.

Vo: what documents did you send to the school?

Me: I sent my official transcripts, which I evaluated, 3 letters of recommendation from my professor in school and 2 from my employers.

Vo: did you take any standardized tests?

Me: Pvamu waived it for me as an initial requirement. Though I'll still have to write the test within my first semester.

Vo: you'll write the test within your first semester?

Me: yes.

Vo: you work with International Data Management Services?

Me: Yes ma.

Vo: have you ever traveled out of the country?

Me: No ma. This would be my first.

Vo: what are your plans after study?

Me: After my program in the us, I intend to come back to Nigeria and take up a job at the federal ministry of education. Where I can work hand in hand with the federal government to help with finding solutions to the problems in the educational sector. Nigeria's educational sector is currently in a bad shape, our curriculum and policies are no longer effective and efficient. That's why going to America for my masters will give me the competitive edge to make moves that will transform the educational sector in Nigeria by applying what i would have learnt in the Us.

Vo: who is your sponsor?

Me: my Uncle Mr. Oluwatoni Odusanya

Vo: what does he do?

Me: he is the ceo of abr offshore limited, an oil and gas company .

Vo: your visa has been approved. Pick up your visa bla bla bla...I no hear anything again.

Me: I smiled and said thanks

Vo: (smiled back) remember to bring this(i-20) with you at the point of entry.

please prepare very well. read enough transcripts and most importantly pray. It can only be God.

Good luck to all visa hopefuls.

Me: Gracias

10 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Olufemiopa: 12:26am On Dec 29, 2017
Please, I need some pieces of advice from the house.

I attended F1 interview in November and December 2017 respectively to study Master degree in Organizational Leadership with concentration on Organizational Management in Lewis University, IL, US but was denied. My highest degree was terminal Master in Managerial Psychology since 2012. During the second interview, the VO after so many questions and my confident answers, he denied my visa and said his colleague said previously that I was not qualified.....(I didn't understand why he said that anyway)

Though, I have contacted the Lewis University to defer my admission to May 2018. I have strong family ties in Nigeria (married with 3 children), have my personal residence, personal business, self sponsorship for the study with SOA to back it up. Kindly advise me on what mighty be missing as I prepare to re-fire towards May 2018.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.