Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,834 members, 7,806,347 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

How To Convert My HDD From MBR To GPT - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Convert My HDD From MBR To GPT (1051 Views)

Mistakenly Formatted My Hdd, An Hope? / How To Convert Airtime To Data On Airtel / Repaired my HDD but my media files can't open, help!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Convert My HDD From MBR To GPT by yazz09(m): 4:24pm On Dec 10, 2017
Good day house, please i need urgent help with my laptop.
I wanted to change my os from windows 7 to windows 10. Everytime i tried from windows it doesn't work, so i decided to startup the installation from boot. After formatting my hdd it now told me that i can't install windows in MBR partition. Please how do i at this point change my hdd to GPT partition that it is asking for.
Re: How To Convert My HDD From MBR To GPT by ahless(m): 6:18pm On Dec 10, 2017
yazz09:
Good day house, please i need urgent help with my laptop.
I wanted to change my os from windows 7 to windows 10. Everytime i tried from windows it doesn't work, so i decided to startup the installation from boot. After formatting my hdd it now told me that i can't install windows in MBR partition. Please how do i at this point change my hdd to GPT partition that it is asking for.
Delete all partitions on startup boot and create a new one it will work
Re: How To Convert My HDD From MBR To GPT by yazz09(m): 7:35pm On Dec 10, 2017
ahless:

Delete all partitions on startup boot and create a new one it will work

Thanks bro.
Re: How To Convert My HDD From MBR To GPT by otakulin: 10:49am On Dec 14, 2017
Windows built-in tool Disk Management provides users to convert disk to GPT with Windows interface. But if you want to use the command line to convert disks, the DiskPart can provide a terrace. However, both Disk Management tool and DiskPart utility can only convert an empty MBR disk to GPT. To change a disk from MBR to GPT with cmd, you can following the steps below:

Before you do, there are some tips for you:

Backup the MBR disk that you want to convert into GPT disk in order to keep the data safe.
You can only convert basic MBR disks without any partitions or volumes into a GPT disk. If there are some partitions or volumes, backup the data, then, delete all partitions or volumes before converting.
If you want to convert MBR to GPT disk during Windows intsall, please open command prompt by pressing Shift + F10.
Step1. Click Start, type "cmd", and right click it, select "Run as Administrator", or press "WIN+R", type "cmd" and press Enter to open the command prompt. Then, input "diskpart" to run the utility.

Step2. Type "list volume" to make sure if there are any partitions or volumes on the MBR disk which will be converted to GPT. If there are, you need to use diskpart delete partition first.

Then, type "list disk", and press Enter, it will show you all the disks on your computer. Make note of the disk number that you want to convert to GPT disk. Here take disk 1 as an example.

Step3. Type "select disk 1", press "Enter", it will remind you that the disk 1 is selected.

Step4.Type "convert gpt", press "Enter" to submit the operation. Wait a second, you will find the Command Prompt says DiskPart successfully converted the selected disk to GPT format. Please take a look at the following screenshot.

(1) (Reply)

Toshiba C55-laptop With Dedicated Graphics For Quick Sale **SOLD*** / Neatly Used Mid-range Gaming Laptop For Sale / Buy Now: 320G Laptop Hard Drive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.