Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) (736 Views)

How To Overcome Life's Challenges -By Tayo Demola / Ebook Publishing In Nigeria - How Does It Help Authors and our Future? / Is Authorhouse Publishing Genuine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) by wumifab(m): 8:23am On Mar 31, 2010
Hi guys, owning to several questions and requests i get daily, i thought it wise to create a thread to handle every form of publishing challenges from fund raising to agreement signing, sales or distribution, designing, proof-reading etc. Just post the question and we'll do our best to answer it.
Re: Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) by backlash09: 9:30pm On Apr 02, 2010
You could start with your own FAQ (frequently asked questions, since u say u get them a lot). Basically people have issues from, not finding a publisher to even knowing how to prepare their works to be publish-ready. I think you should pick up one angle and start from there.
Re: Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) by wumifab(m): 9:57pm On Apr 04, 2010
@Backlash: Great point, i will do a compilation of as many questions as i can then i'll post them. Thanks for the suggestion.
Re: Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) by maclatunji: 5:09pm On Apr 06, 2010
Are you a publisher? Then post your contact details so that we can send you manuscripts.
Re: Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) by wumifab(m): 6:28pm On Apr 06, 2010
@maclatunji: Yes I work with a publishing outfit. I will not talk much about our outfit on this thread, but we can talk more if you really need to reach us. my no is 2348098643221.
Re: Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) by MyneWhite1(f): 1:32am On Apr 10, 2010
What is the quality of work produced in Nigeria compared to abroad?
Re: Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) by wumifab(m): 5:17pm On Apr 10, 2010
@Myne: Nigerian publishing outfits can produce any standard of work as long as the clients pay the price. Printing as greatly advanced in recent times and so did the Nigeria print industry. In magazine publishing, the likes of Total Woman(TW) and Autoshopper (which was formerly printed in the US) are now printed in Nigeria so are a couple of other mags printed to international standards and can compete with the likes of Ebony or O(oprah). Similarly, book publishing can also compete globally but the cost of publishing books of international quality put a lot of people off. See what happened to Bishop David Oyedepo's books, when they were reviewed to international quality in print, the prices went up. But I have to add, the prices are still fair when compared to prices of other foreign books of similar quality.

In summary I'll say, 'when you pay a Nigerian piper the right price, he will play any tune you want; perfectly'.

i hope I have been helpful.
Re: Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) by gorociano: 5:22pm On Apr 11, 2010
What is the cost a prospective author (greenhorn novelist) should look at when he wants to publish his first novel and what is the rate of the return on investment he can look forward to if the book is a) very good b) okay?
Re: Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) by wumifab(m): 6:51pm On Apr 11, 2010
@gorociano
For greenhorn (or redhorn,  grin lol) the cost of publishing is the same. Usually, the cost is dependent on the volume of the book (number of pages), number of unit/copies you want to publish, the quality of print and material plus few other consideration in packaging. If this details are clear then we can talk figures. As regards returns, your returns can range from 50 to 90% even more depending on your pricing. but on the average, you can make over 60% on a good book with very good marketing/distribution which is the main thing. you can call me and i'll see if i can get you a cost estimate on any book you are hoping to publish. 234-80598564332.

i hope have been helpful, let me know if you still have more questions.

Re: Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) by maulani901(m): 11:46am On Apr 20, 2010
For any of your publishing worries, please visit http://thelegitinternetmarketing..com
Re: Post Your Publishing Challenges Here! (Any Question) by Govvy(m): 7:01am On Oct 13, 2013
I can't but wonder how minute the numbers of traditional publishers are in Nigeria. Vanity press taking over tagging themselves as publishers. Interested in one's money and not the book. This is but my opinion in the now.

(1) (Reply)

Independence Gift Just For You! / My Most Favourite Book Sites / Submit Your Poems, Stories Or Thoughts For An International Publication.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.