Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? (11807 Views)

Student Visa To Belgium / Inquire On Visa To Belgium / What Are The Requirements To Travel To Belgium For Holdays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by jacq(f): 5:15pm On Dec 23, 2005
I will like to visit these 3 countries some day in the near furture .

has anyone been in any of these countries of lived there ?
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by Seun(m): 5:17pm On Dec 23, 2005
What about those three countries makes you want to visit them? And where are you based now?
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by nferyn(m): 11:17pm On Dec 23, 2005
I'm from Belgium. Fire away your questions
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by ijebuman(m): 11:29pm On Dec 23, 2005
Been to Belgium, nothing much to see smiley (apologies to nferyn) on my way to Amsterdam wink
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by nferyn(m): 11:59pm On Dec 23, 2005
ijebuman:

Been to Belgium, nothing much to see smiley (apologies to nferyn) on my way to Amsterdam wink
There is a film about an american group of tourists on a trip in Europe, the title is "It's Tuesday, This must be Belgium" grin
Anyway, there's quite a lot to see, but usually Belgians are very bad at self-promotion and patriotism is very rare.

You have the historical medieval city centers of Bruges and Ghent, the art-nouveau buildings of Brussels, the old industrial belt in Wallonia (quite a sight)
Belgium probably has the highest concentration of excellent restaurants and pubs in the world (Belgium has more than 5000 different sorts of Beer - and not all varieties of lager)
Antwerp and Ghent have a very lively cultural scene.

In Holland, Amsterdam is OK, the rest is.... say no more undecided
One piece of advice: do not eat anything in Holland, unless it's an Indonesian restaurant. Their food is awful.

1 Like

Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by ijebuman(m): 12:31am On Dec 24, 2005
Just pulling your leg   grin but it does seem that way if you're passing through to Holland
I 've spent a few days in Antwerp in the mid 90s as i had a friend living there and the nightlife is quite good. I've stopped by at Ostende on my way back a few times for some belgian chocolate  smiley The beach there is great. 

Did you know Marvin Gaye lived in Ostende in the 80s ? He wrote 'Sexual healing' while he was living there.
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by sage(m): 4:48am On Dec 24, 2005
i love the scandanavian countries save 4 the cold. Peaceful most of the way. hmmmmmmmmnn cheesy
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by IAH(f): 8:39am On Dec 24, 2005
If UK is like this, I wonder how all these 3 countries would be like. Much less good-looking.lipsrsealed
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by sage(m): 4:27pm On Dec 24, 2005
@IAH i think all the scandanavian countries have a higher per capita income and better standard of living than the UK and the US. I guess they are not popular among Nigerian travellers because of extreme cold and Language barriers
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by jacq(f): 10:05pm On Dec 24, 2005
How is life for a black woman in belgium @ nferyn ?

i heard belgium has the best educational system in the world is that true ?

if i could get a scholarship i will like to go to belgium to study nursing.

is the language difficult to understand or speak ?
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by debanjee(m): 6:00am On Dec 30, 2005
k
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by nferyn(m): 8:35am On Dec 30, 2005
jacq:

How is life for a black woman in belgium @ nferyn ?
It won't be easy. Immigration is fairly recent in Belgium. The attitudes are changing though. Your knowledge of the language is very important.

jacq:

i heard belgium has the best educational system in the world is that true ?
Maybe not the best, but certainly one of the best. Flanders (not the whole of Belgium) always ranks in the top 10 of OECD classifications and usually in the top 5.

jacq:

if i could get a scholarship i will like to go to belgium to study nursing.
This is probably one of the few jobs they would encourage immigration for. Do not forget that in Belgium, language is extremely important. If you're in the north, better speak Dutch, if you're in the south, better speak French. Flemish people are very touchy when it comes to language - and I know I'm Flemish wink

jacq:

is the language difficult to understand or speak ?
So they say, but if you want to learn, you'll have a lot of free help and support
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by nferyn(m): 8:44am On Dec 30, 2005
debanjee:

Been to Brussels

They speak Flemish, French and German i think ( hardly any English but there are some Irish pubs . Most people who speak English there you'll meet work for NATO or the European union)
You've encountered a bad sample, I guess. Most people do speak english, but they will have trouble understanding you if you speak with a thick Nigerian accent. Flemish people are usually better at languages and as Brussels is majoritary French, you probably met the wrong people.
The biggest hurdle immigrants have to overcome when learning Dutch is that most people will automatically switch to English when they hear you're not speaking Dutch fluently - makes it harder to learn the language.

debanjee:

Brussels wasn't that great but was still some fun though. Pretty neat city- although i hear it has its ghettos too. nice buildings. Get to see the European quarters , royal quarters etc
It takes years to get to know the fun parts of Brussels. Belgium is very bad at self-promotion. Those ghetto's aren't really ghettos as you'd see them in France, there's much more of a social mix. Doesn't mean that those quarters don't have their problems, but I've lived in one of these neigbourhoods for two years and never had any problems, never been mugged and only been harassed once. Belgium is among the safest places on earth. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

debanjee:

Not much else I'm afraid . I hear Antwerp is a great place though
Cultural life (clubbing, pubs, concerts, ...) in Antwerp is off the chain. If you're young, you'll certainly enjoy Antwerp. Most Nigerians in Belgium reside in Antwerp.

1 Like

Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by debanjee(m): 8:59am On Dec 30, 2005
]
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by nferyn(m): 1:36pm On Dec 30, 2005
@ debanjee
Chill wink It is I that wasn't clear enough undecided
I really didn't mean to say that you were definitely speaking with a thick Nigerian accent. My wife did when she just came to Belgium and I was just introducing a possible cause for them not understanding you

As a matter of fact, it is very hard to appreciate Brussels if you don't live there. I studied in Brussels and stayed there for 4 more years afterward. I didn't even know Brussels all that well when I just finished my studies.
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by chrisd(m): 1:38pm On Dec 30, 2005
You should calm down a bit debanjee
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by ojonilo: 10:59pm On Aug 30, 2007
hello im a 29 year old female nigerian, i want to clear my account and relocate to europe not nessesary for greener pasture but to find in peace which i cant find in my nigerian enviroment, ive been to france, spain,italy n greece before but on holidays and i feel in love with europe in so many ways, odinarily i should look at d united kingdom or usa but i honestly dont like there. im very skillful i can type 80words in one minute, i can sew,cook and make hair very well skills i picked out of boredom. the countries i have in mind to relocate to are either denmark, sweden, norway, italy or greece. i dont know anyone in these places but that does not scare me cos i want to begin anew, what ill like to know is the way they live in these countries considering commerce, tax,racism,on what ground can i get residence permit n how long wiil it take and which of this countries are black populated
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by Vicjustice: 8:10pm On Aug 31, 2007
Hail, Nferyn.
I must admit that as a guy from Belgium, i'm impressed at your level of English, i just checked your profile and i saw a blue eyed handsome white Dude: i understand that you're an active poster and it pleases me to see a guy like you interested in Nairaland and that you're contributing to this forum positively. You're indeed our friend and brother.
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by gracy67: 7:59am On Jul 11, 2009
I have been living in brussels for the last 2 years and I believe one drawback of living in Belgium is extreme rudeness in customer service and horribly defunct bureaucracy. No one, in a professional capacity, answers phone calls or emails, even when you need something very urgent. So living in Belgium requires some aggressiveness and a lot of patience.
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by gracy67: 8:01am On Jul 11, 2009
I have been living in brussels for the last 2 years and I believe one drawback of living in Belgium is extreme rudeness in customer service and horribly defunct bureaucracy. No one, in a professional capacity, answers phone calls or emails, even when you need something very urgent. So living in Belgium requires some aggressiveness and a lot of patience.

1 Like

Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by gracy67: 9:05am On Jul 11, 2009
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by tallgal(f): 12:34pm On Jan 01, 2010
I do occasional short contracts in Brussels and it is generally peaceful. I do speak French,so it helps me a lot more, but I agree with the bureaucracy and aggressiveness in order to get things done. Apart form that the people are like anywhere else.
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by tallgal(f): 12:36pm On Jan 01, 2010
I do occasional short contracts in Brussels and it is generally peaceful. I do speak French,so it helps me a lot more, but I agree with the bureaucracy and aggressiveness in order to get things done. Apart form that the people are like anywhere else.

1 Like

Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by NordicRace: 8:55am On Jan 02, 2010
i should look at d united kingdom or usa but i honestly dont like there

YOU CANNOT MOVE TO THE UK UNLESS YOU HAVE A MASTERS DEGREE. AND YOU CANNOT WORK IN ANY OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRY UNLESS YOU SPEAK THE LANGUGAE, ARE YOU STUPID OR SOMETHING ?

1 Like

Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by mi2010: 1:52pm On Jan 02, 2010
@nordicrace, useless guy u again, why do u always insult sum1 here wen he/she is seekn 4 advise. u are reali unpartriotic, uselless self-acclaimed hungarian by birth. if u dnt repent on ur bastardly way of life, d wrath of people will rub u in mud in this 2010, becareful useless "BASTARD" where is ur father?
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by mi2010: 1:58pm On Jan 02, 2010
@nordicrace, useless guy u again, why do u always insult sum1 here wen he/she is seekn 4 advise. u are reali unpartriotic, uselless self-acclaimed hungarian by birth. if u dnt repent on ur bastardly way of life, d wrath of people will rub u in mud in this 2010, becareful useless "BASTARD" where is ur father?
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by omega25red(m): 11:17pm On Jan 03, 2010
i was in brussels belgium about 15 years ago and i was taken to the immigration office for questioning because one stupid worker decided that she didnt want me to travel. all in all the guy i spoke with was cool and he let me go before i missed my flight to ny. never going back to belgium again
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by raphrinco: 9:47am On Jun 16, 2012
Greetings my Brethren ,A footballer is about to travel to Belgium in this transfer window,in other to search for a football club,be it,div 1,2,3,4,pro or semipro or even regional football team , just for a start.Already in Qatar but Qatar is not yet developed in sports and need to move on with football career,because is always good to start from somewhere.Please your wise advice and help,direction is needed,God Bless.
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by fikki1: 7:18pm On Dec 08, 2015
nferyn:
@ debanjee
Chill wink It is I that wasn't clear enough undecided
I really didn't mean to say that you were definitely speaking with a thick Nigerian accent. My wife did when she just came to Belgium and I was just introducing a possible cause for them not understanding you

As a matter of fact, it is very hard to appreciate Brussels if you don't live there. I studied in Brussels and stayed there for 4 more years afterward. I didn't even know Brussels all that well when I just finished my studies.
dunno if you could help me out please...
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by JINCSON(m): 3:46pm On Feb 08, 2016
Do Belgian universities (e.g. Vrije Universiteit Brussel) accept second class lower division( CGPA 3.00) from Nigerian students for Master’s degree ( Biological Sciences)
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by worry359(m): 4:39pm On Feb 08, 2016
JINCSON:
Do Belgian universities (e.g. Vrije Universiteit Brussel) accept second class lower division( CGPA 3.00) from Nigerian students for Master’s degree ( Biological Sciences)

Why don't YOU go to their website and ask them?
Then you would have FACTS rather than asking strangers here to guess.
Re: Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? by Nobody: 12:22am On Feb 09, 2016
jacq:
I will like to visit these 3 countries some day in the near furture .

has anyone been in any of these countries of lived there ?

I've been to Copenhagen. If you're a woman, don't be surprised if someone thinks you're a prostitute. There are a lot of black prostitutes there so someone might just assume you are one, esp if you're on Istedgade (the city's "red light district"wink. As far as the city itself, it's ok. Everyone was really nice there but there isn't much to do. It feels more like a big town than it does a city. It seems like a nice place to raise a family but not that great if you're in your 20s and want a rowdy city to have fun in and have things to do. The only huge precaution I have about it is that it is VERY expensive. We had to eat noodles a lot while we were there lol Norway is even more expensive (most expensive of the Scandinavian countries so I've heard). Also, Danish is hard to learn but luckily most people we encountered there spoke English.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abuja Train Attack: Amaechi Promises Improved Security As Train Services Resumes / Truck On Fire At Ladipo Market (Photos) / How Is The Cost Self Contain In Cotonou Benin Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.