Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,600 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:05 PM

Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? (10814 Views)

A Call For Fiction Writers / In Need Of Good Writers In The Health And Cryptocurrency Niches / Book Summary - The Instant Millionaire By Mark Fisher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 12:57pm On Dec 12, 2017
Blackops:

its just a pity Nigerians do not read. I volunteer with an NGO that promotes literacy. if I should tell you what we pass through SMH. you will not believe it. How do you expect a society that does not cherish reading to buy books. Authors will only sell if people buy abi...

Okay. True.
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 1:00pm On Dec 12, 2017
einsteine:
No, a pen name.

She writes Christian romance. She makes most of her royalties through the select programme. I think it's about the niche and the willingness to do paid marketing.

Now I understand. She uses a pen name. I have friends who make a couple of thousands of dollars monthly writing with a pen name. It is easier to sell books with a foreign pen name. I want to do that with a Nigerian name.
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 1:03pm On Dec 12, 2017
itsandi:
How will there be when writers are posting their writings for free on Facebook and other platforms? sad

Even before people started doing that there were no millionaire authors.
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by itsandi(m): 1:10pm On Dec 12, 2017
How about Sonyinka and his comtemporaries?
kayo80:

Even before people started doing that there were no millionaire authors.
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by EvaJael(f): 1:34pm On Dec 12, 2017
kayo80:

There is a large amount of Nigerians that read, but they don't like paying for what they read. That's it. I have seen stories by my friends like Evajael on here that got over a quarter of a million views. Is it ghosts that are viewing the stories?
What annoys me eh is when they finish reading your story free, somebody will still turn around and plagiarise. Haba!
The same plagiarist will come here and be ranting how poor our books are
The thing frustrates a lot.
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by thedondada(m): 1:51pm On Dec 12, 2017
pcguru1:
If you want to hide something from a black man.....

Lol. Hide it in a book.

I am a voracious reader and have consumed over 10000 fictional books or more. I am currently reading best 25 fantasy books ever written.

Mistborn.

Honestly in the past I spent a fortune on novels which I consumed at a voracious rate to the point the guys who sell to me started "renting books" to me. Read and return pristine. Collect again.

Firstly many don't like to read in Nigeria. You can use nairaland as an example a simple 300 word post and people are looking for summary. How do you expect them to read a novel.

Secondly our interests lie away from books. It's easy money for doing nothing we want. BBN is an example as evidenced by the crowd who attended the auditions.

Thirdly the free internet downloads have killed business for writers. As a matter of fact I stopped buying books and CDs when BlackBerry first came out. I could download and download to my hearts content for free.

I really don't buy novels anymore I will always get it online one way or another.

It's wrong I know but here we are.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by thedondada(m): 1:52pm On Dec 12, 2017
DarryOsh:

I mean this in a nice way. But you, my friend, are merely ignorant. What books have you tried to read? Wanna know how you reached this conclusion of yours.

Do you think movies too are a waste of time?

That one won't even read his text book talk of a novel.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 2:06pm On Dec 12, 2017
EvaJael:

What annoys me eh is when they finish reading your story free, somebody will still turn around and plagiarise. Haba!
The same plagiarist will come here and be ranting how poor our books are
The thing frustrates a lot.

Exactly! So true.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by AfroSamurai: 2:06pm On Dec 12, 2017
Spasmic:

Why are you straw-manning my argument? You conveniently ignored the strong points I raised about my comparison between non-fiction and fiction in terms of the educative and intellectual value and you focused on an earlier point I raised about romance section.

Yes, I'll still prefer reading romance section over literature section. It doesn't mean that romance section is vast terrain of intellectual nourishment or a section I'd recommended for someone who wants to broaden his perspective and explore novel ideas. No. But when you juxtapose it with literature section, I'll choose it over literature section because at least I get informed about relationship issues through interesting discussion and reading about real stories of real people, and I also get introduced to informative blogs. And remember there is also a sexuality section within romance section where one can expand his knowledge of sexual subjects. There is a lot of benefit in this.

Reading poems on literature section doesn't add any value to my life, sorry.
since its a personal opinion, i'm not going to debate it with you. I for one know tens of people who have gained positive from nairaland's literature/poem for review section. I'm a living testament.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 2:07pm On Dec 12, 2017
itsandi:
How about Sonyinka and his comtemporaries?

All those you speak of are not more than 5, and they all had support from UK and America. Go and read about their history.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by sinceraconcept(m): 2:34pm On Dec 12, 2017
kayo80:

There is a large amount of Nigerians that read, but they don't like paying for what they read. That's it. I have seen stories by my friends like Evajael on here that got over a quarter of a million views. Is it ghosts that are viewing the stories?
you're absolutely right. we like few things in Nigeria. I can't buy a Nigerian book when I could download lots of John Grisham,Chetan Bhagat,Stephen King free of charge
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 2:51pm On Dec 12, 2017
sinceraconcept:
you're absolutely right. we like few things in Nigeria. I can't buy a Nigerian book when I could download lots of John Grisham,Chetan Bhagat,Stephen King free of charge

Lol!
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by franklingud(m): 3:20pm On Dec 12, 2017
A popular white saying goes ''if you want to hide the greatest treasure on earth from an African, hide it in a BOOK''.

No doubt about it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by twosquare(m): 3:31pm On Dec 12, 2017
kayo80:

Hmm! "Waste money? " Poor people still "waste money" on things they fancy/things that make them happy. And what of the population of people earning very well, or even averagely? Even if 80% of Nigerians are poor, there are still like 2-3 million Nigerians that earn good money... What about these people?
It is not part of their habits to read such books...mostly indigenous movies. Also, the western world has developed their reading culture over time. We don't have it here, or we kind of lost it during the 80s when there was massive brain drain during economic downturns Nigeria went through...In the 60s, you will mostly hear about the Onitsha market Literature, even during the oil boom...the market literature was okay, chapbooks or story pamphlets were in vogue...authors like Cyprian Ekwensi started that way. But from the 80s down to this moment...things went down with speed, the love for books/stories too...movies took over...home videos...assuming it was sustained till then, we would have had an active ebook market like South Africa (although it is still not impressive but manageable). Then literacy is part of it...how many people know much about Amazon, Kobo, etc. to get ebooks (even the word ebook). Many can't even operate an android efficiently to access Newspaper apps.

There is something known as Popular Culture in Literature (students/graduates will know what I'm saying). Even those you said are "earning well," you know not all are 'posh,' 'Behind,' etc...We have folks, not in the white collar jobs, suit up, blah blah earning well also more than the ones in the 'Behind' categories...some are educated, some aren't. Poverty is not the general excuse, just part of the causative elements that are hindering the market literature in Nigeria & Africa. Re-orientation is needed....and the popular culture now in vogue is Blogging where people read stories paid or free online...some here are yet to inculcate the habit of reading books via electronics...they prefer that feel...you know....even last two months or so, a lot in the US, UK and Canada bought more paperbacks than ebooks by a slight difference.

Most people read because it was made compulsory for them in schools, their discipline or academics...apart from that....people are pursuing money (even the young ones, fresh cool-headed)...what they use to relax are movies...no time to sit and read books...

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 3:35pm On Dec 12, 2017
twosquare:
It is not part of their habits to read such books...mostly indigenous movies. Also, the western world has developed their reading culture over time. We don't have it here, or we kind of lost it during the 80s when there was massive brain drain during economic downturns Nigeria went through...In the 60s, you will mostly hear about the Onitsha market Literature, even during the oil boom...the market literature was okay, chapbooks or story pamphlets were in vogue...authors like Cyprian Ekwensi started that way. But from the 80s down to this moment...things went down with speed, the love for books/stories too...movies took over...home videos...assuming it was sustained till then, we would have had an active ebook market like South Africa (although it is still not impressive but manageable). Then literacy is part of it...how many people know much about Amazon, Kobo, etc. to get ebooks (even the word ebook). Many can't even operate an android efficiently to access Newspaper apps.

There is something known as Popular Culture in Literature (students/graduates will know what I'm saying). Even those you said are "earning well," you know not all are 'posh,' 'Behind,' etc...We have folks, not in the white collar jobs, suit up, blah blah earning well also more than the ones in the 'Behind' categories...some are educated, some aren't. Poverty is not the general excuse, just part of the causative elements that are hindering the market literature in Nigeria & Africa. Re-orientation is needed....and the popular culture now in vogue is Blogging where people read stories paid or free online...some here are yet to inculcate the habit of reading books via electronics...they prefer that feel...you know....even last two months or so, a lot in the US, UK and Canada bought more paperbacks than ebooks by a slight difference.

Most people read because it was made compulsory for them in schools, their discipline or academics...apart from that....people are pursuing money (even the young ones, fresh cool-headed)...what they use to relax are movies...no time to sit and read books...

Hmm! OK.
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by twosquare(m): 3:43pm On Dec 12, 2017
kayo80:

About working on an alternative to okadabooks, I can't wait for that.

On publishing on Amazon, I already do that, although I sell more on Apple's iBooks... Even at that, they are still peanuts. When you sell for $1, and after taxes and commission that Amazon or Apple collects, you left with like 20 cents a book, then it takes a lot of sales to earn a decent income from book sales.

Your friend earns $300-$500 from book sales on Amazon monthly? Whoa! This is interesting. I have NEVER MET A NIGERIAN AUTHOR THAT MAKES THAT MUCH FROM SELLING FICTION BOOKS ON AMAZON, and trust me, I have been in the KDP community for 5 years now. Does she use her original name? Or she uses a pen name?
Amazon is a no-no-no...the 20 or 30% tax after Amazon's cut spoiled everything...Just avoid any US company.
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 3:50pm On Dec 12, 2017
twosquare:
Amazon is a no-no-no...the 20 or 30% tax after Amazon's cut spoiled everything...Just avoid any US company.

I swear. The thing is so freaking frustrating.
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Dec 12, 2017
thedondada:

Lol. Hide it in a book.

I am a voracious reader and have consumed over 10000 fictional books or more. I am currently reading best 25 fantasy books ever written.

Mistborn.

Honestly in the past I spent a fortune on novels which I consumed at a voracious rate to the point the guys who sell to me started "renting books" to me. Read and return pristine. Collect again.

Firstly many don't like to read in Nigeria. You can use nairaland as an example a simple 300 word post and people are looking for summary. How do you expect them to read a novel.

Secondly our interests lie away from books. It's easy money for doing nothing we want. BBN is an example as evidenced by the crowd who attended the auditions.

Thirdly the free internet downloads have killed business for writers. As a matter of fact I stopped buying books and CDs when BlackBerry first came out. I could download and download to my hearts content for free.

I really don't buy novels anymore I will always get it online one way or another.

Same here there's no book i can't get online, I used to read physical books but since i got my tablet i read online instead, though still looking to buy physical books. Yeah I noticed that on NL alot can't read lengthy content for me I have no choice, my work requires me to read heavy content books constantly

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by kjhova(m): 4:42pm On Dec 12, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Longman is not your only option. There are other publishers

Shame on me, yea, I guess I wasn't zealous enough to push on further. Other things in life took me away, really; music, studies and career.
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by thedondada(m): 6:31pm On Dec 12, 2017
pcguru1:

Same here there's no book i can't get online, I used to read physical books but since i got my tablet i read online instead, though still looking to buy physical books. Yeah I noticed that on NL alot can't read lengthy content for me I have no choice, my work requires me to read heavy content books constantly

The only.reason I don't follow nairaland literature section is my impatience for updates. Sometimes for weeks no updates and you keep waiting. Though I know it's not easy for the writers too.

I read a lot since my youthful days. So long books aren't a chore. There was a time I won't stress myself with a book that didn't get to a thousand pages.

Now I just read what grabs and holds my attention

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by mmadubugwu(m): 6:05am On Dec 14, 2017
meneski:
so wetin una want make we do now... Because me now na fantasy novel i de write now and e go be three series. So 9ja una must buy book oh!

Lol, I go buy. I don't know for others o.
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by meneski(m): 7:08am On Dec 14, 2017
mmadubugwu:

Lol, I go buy. I don't know for others o.
Yes oh my brother you go buy. Na too much movie dey worry me, i come say make i write my own Game of Thrones.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by Jbfranklin: 9:34am On Dec 14, 2017
If you put your leg in shoe A ,some seconds later you Got stung by a scorpion try Shoe B...
Harry Potter (movie) net-worth exploded when it went "International"...
you don't expect your work to go far when you don't show it to they world....
"show your work to they world and they world will show your work to Nigeria"
"A prophet is not warmly welcome in his country"
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by mmadubugwu(m): 11:00pm On Dec 15, 2017
meneski:
Yes oh my brother you go buy. Na too much movie dey worry me, i come say make i write my own Game of Thrones.

No go copy and paste Game of Thrones o. Lol.
I look forward to your book anyway. Even if it's the preview.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by Eze2000(m): 1:05am On Dec 16, 2017
thedondada:

Lol. Hide it in a book.

Mistborn.

look me up by end of January or February. I should have something to turn your blood cold and your heart hot!
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by Eze2000(m): 1:17am On Dec 16, 2017
thedondada:

The only.reason I don't follow nairaland literature section is my impatience for updates. Sometimes for weeks no updates and you keep waiting. Though I know it's not easy for the writers too.

I read a lot since my youthful days. So long books aren't a chore. There was a time I won't stress myself with a book that didn't get to a thousand pages.

Now I just read what grabs and holds my attention

can,t stop laughing!
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by Eze2000(m): 1:19am On Dec 16, 2017
Jbfranklin:
If you put your leg in shoe A ,some seconds later you Got stung by a scorpion try Shoe B...
Harry Potter (movie) net-worth exploded when it went "International"...
you don't expect your work to go far when you don't show it to they world....
"show your work to they world and they world will show your work to Nigeria"
"A prophet is not warmly welcome in his country"

long time no see bro
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by Jbfranklin: 8:05pm On Dec 16, 2017
Eze2000:

long time no see bro
True but now nice to see your text again. thought you left nairaland for good until I saw they thread you created... how have you been?..
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by meneski(m): 10:42am On Dec 17, 2017
mmadubugwu:

No go copy and paste Game of Thrones o. Lol.
I look forward to your book anyway. Even if it's the preview.
By next year i will begin posting it. Testament of Olem which will be book one of The Chronicles Of Meneskia. Try follow me oh, so that when i begin u go see am.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by DiamondBright: 8:33am On Dec 18, 2017
yanshDoctor:
i marvel each time people talk about 180 million people. half of this populations are northerners who sees western education as sinful. another 80% of the remaining 90 million people are very poor. no food and no clothes. haggard looking faces and you expect them to read fictional books.

Nigeria population is good for nothing other than food commodities, like indomies noodles, paste, salt and sugar. e.t.c what the poor can afford and consume for daily survival.

Add another percentage of Oshofreers and you have the population of potential buyers thin out
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by thedondada(m): 7:16pm On Dec 19, 2017
Eze2000:

look me up by end of January or February. I should have something to turn your blood cold and your heart hot!

Okay then.
Re: Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? by TTNL: 1:57am On Oct 29, 2018
BOOKS FOR KIDS (NURSERY & PRIMARY SCHOOL BOOKS)

We are into bulk sale of children educational books like: story books, continuous weekly assessment, effective writing skills, colouring book for all classes, text books, famous poems for children - poems kids will love, educational materials, quantitative & verbal reasoning, e.t.c

FOR BOOKINGS, CALL:
07066880314 , +2348020805269

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Please, Recommend a good book for a depressed fellow. / Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts. / Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Book 7!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.