Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,711 members, 7,805,923 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:31 AM

The King Makers: Political Clout In The South - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The King Makers: Political Clout In The South (3977 Views)

The Political Clout Of S/w In Southern Nigeria / Did Results Of 2019 Elections Deminish Obasanjo's Political Clout Or Made Him Pr / NIGERIA’S Nation Three King Makers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The King Makers: Political Clout In The South by senatordave1(m): 1:37am On Dec 12, 2017
Nowenuse:

Your analysis is wrong for the North-east and North-central.

Let me speak for my own north-central region first. Even in 2015, at the height of 'Sai Baba/changi ' campaign, Buhari was not able to win up to 70% in the north-central. It seems like you don't know that there are many die hard 'hausa-fulani interest' opposers all over the north-central. And Plateau state which usually has the highest voting turnout in the region is the stronghold!

Ask yourself why Buhari (APC) lost in Plateau & Nasarawa in 2015 even though both states voted APC governors?

Now in 2019 when many are already dissappointed in Buhari you still expect him to win in North-central? Joke of the year. The highest Buhari can get in north-central would be 50% (and this is if the Tivs decide to vote APC like they did in 2015, due to their jealousy of Idoma power in PDP through David Mark), otherwise PDP will sweep north-central with 70%. Not to talk of now that Igalas will massively go back to PDP because they want to remove that Ebira APC governor.

Pls don't just sit down and analyze politics of regions you don't know about. Find out from political savvy natives of the region.
Buhari has never won plateau and he wont win it in 2019 but at least his losing margin would be low like in 2019.as you said,he will win benue due to tiv votes.he will marginally win nasarawa state.he has always won niger state massively and would stil do so.he will still win kwara state except saraki defects.for kogi state,the igalas will likely vote out yahaya but that doeant nean they will vote out buhari.i think he will win kogi marginally.so,buhari will still win north central marginally.that most people vote against him at thr polling booths doesnt mean it would reflect so at the final tally,it is what the political bigwigs decide that inec records not how the masses vote,you know this.most votes in rural areas are usually allocated and with buhari in power,he has the advantage.many of those that wont vote buhari will not vote pdp either.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The King Makers: Political Clout In The South by senatordave1(m): 1:47am On Dec 12, 2017
SouthEastFacts:

The only place you will see Card Reader wahala were in PDP strongholds. It was those faulty card reader that undermined those turn out.

Don't forget during elections, there is always a total lock down of the economy? So there is nothing like Igbos leaving election for their business.

Check Anambra election turn out for instance, it grew by 39% in 2013, grew by the same 39% in 2015, although it fell by 47% in 2017 maybe as a result of IPOB.

Election was heavily rigged in NW using under-aged voters. So those votes were not genuine.
Stop this biased nonsense.i agree there were underage voting but whats the percentage,was the number significant,where they up to 100,000? What about the mindless vote inflation and massive thumbprinting down south? Is it not clear to you that the south rigs election more than the north? At least chiod voters are humans,what about the multiple thumbprinting and animal thumbprints in south,isnt it inhuman? Less than 100 people voted in my village yet close to 2k votes were recorded for pdp,how manage? Did you know obj had 1.3 million votes in ogun in 2003 out of 1.4 million registered voters? He had 2 million in rivers with a voters register of 2.4 million? When has the north recorded such incredible fraud? Anambra,imo and abia had close to 1.3 million votes between 2003 and 2011 polls with a register of less than 1.8 million each when most of them do not come out to vote? Both apc and pdp rigs but apc rigging is more credible and with a human face.

3 Likes

Re: The King Makers: Political Clout In The South by Ikechuob: 3:20am On Dec 12, 2017
I am loving all the new exposure of SW on this forum as of late. I'm loving it.

Anyway OP, every fucking body is aware that the so called "political sophistication" yotuba assign themselves is nothing but a grandiose delusion. We've all read history as well as watched the elections occur, each candidate they ever support always lose. For the first time the candidate they support won and the whole world won't stop hearing about their grandiose 'political sophistication'. The funny thing is the people that should yell aka middle belt whom are the reason Buhari won is quiet yet the inconsequential are the ones making the loudest noise.

Dude everyone is aware that the SW claim of being the political kingmarkers are nothing but their delusions. Shit even Tinubu so called "political power" is BS after all, did Tinubu not support Nuhu Ribadu in 2011 and he lost woefully. Buhari won because of Buhari popularity in North and Middle Belt shikena. The only contribution of South West is the propaganda machine they used on Middle Belt to persuade them against GEJ that's it!!! Heck i believe Buhari is aware of this hence, he ran a northernization administration amd only remembered SW now he needs their propaganda laced media for the next election.

6 Likes

Re: The King Makers: Political Clout In The South by Nobody: 4:08am On Dec 12, 2017
grin grin grin grin

dia propaganda no fit work again.

2019 go dey very interesting..

na rig n die.. everybody eyes dey shook.

2 Likes

Re: The King Makers: Political Clout In The South by konoplyanka: 7:58am On Dec 12, 2017
I just have to laugh at this 'analysis'.
Re: The King Makers: Political Clout In The South by hucienda: 8:56am On Dec 12, 2017
Truthman:

Thanks. I don't actually believe that one region is more important than the other. I more or less consider each state unique; what wins elections in most cases are a strong combination of local factors and ability of a candidiate to establish strong connection with the state.
for these two main reasons, it is my view that 2019 elections will be largely determined by North Central states. The southern states will have marginal impact on the outcome of the election.

I hold same view because we all know how the other five regions will vote, more or less - though the NE is a bit of a wild card.

Whoever wins the middle belt region will most likely be president as the other regions will in the final analysis cancel themselves out.
Re: The King Makers: Political Clout In The South by Stingman: 11:08am On Dec 12, 2017
SouthEastFacts:

You are just talking like a kid.

How old is Nigerian democracy, calculate the number of years Igbos has served at the highest level and compare it with Yoruba's 10 years, which they only got in this 4th Republic.

Where was the Yorubas in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and even before the 1st Republic?

I know you thought Nigerian democracy started from 1999.

The 4th Republic which started from 1999, is just 18 years, and each Region is expected to serve 8 years each.

The fact the Yorubas started first didn't make them special, but to compensate them for watching helplessly as Abiola is sent beyond. Even Obsanjo wasn't their choice. He was imposed on them, forced down their throat because their meaningless votes couldn't influence anything.

Buhari is in power because the NW didn't complete their 8 years, which Yar'Adua started. If not, nothing in this world would have made him President.

Assuming Jonathan ascendance didn't upset the plan, SE should be doing part of their 8 years now.

Nigerian 4th Republic is only 18 years, and you don't expect 6 regions to produce President within those 18 years.

When the time comes, all the whole gods of Yorubaland wouldn't be able to stop Igbo Presidency, talk more of your valueless votes.

Next time, stop commenting like a kid.

See finishing!!!

1 Like

Re: The King Makers: Political Clout In The South by Nobody: 11:08am On Dec 12, 2017
Op did a good job here.
Re: The King Makers: Political Clout In The South by Ratello: 12:05pm On Dec 12, 2017
SouthEastFacts:
The PDP National Convention has come and gone, though many are comfortable with the outcome, but few are not, believing that they were sidelined.

This group arrogating to themselves the title of King Maker in the Nigerian political space, believes it will be disastrous for the PDP to ignore them in build up to 2019 election. They believe they can influence the outcome of any Presidential election, hence they are positioning for the PDP VP slot.

In this article, we are going to analyze the political clout of South Western Nigeria from 2011 and their impact on Presidential elections in Nigeria.

In 2011 election, the National election turnout was 52.3%, while turn out in the North was 52.8%, turn out in Eastern Nigerian (South East (66.9) and South South (67.0%)) was 67.0% while SW was 32.8% and they repeated this turn out in 2015 again.

While other regions either fell within the national average or exceeded it, South West was the only region that went below it by 37%, while South East and South South both exceeded it by 27.0%.

At the end of the election, out of the 16290593 votes casted in the South, the South West contributed 28.3% by casting only 4613712 votes, leaving South East and South South to provide the remaining 71.7%, casting 11676881.

Out of this 16290593 votes casted in the South, 13890271 votes were casted for PDP. South West even though it has the highest population in the South contributed only 20% of those votes by casting 2786417 votes, leaving South East with the lowest population and South South with the median population to contribute the other 80%, at 36% and 44% respectively and casting 4985246 and 6118608 votes respectively.

While South West contributed only 12.3% of the entire 22495187 votes PDP got at the election, South East and South South contributed 49.4%, leaving the entire North (3 regions) and FCT to provide the other 38.3%

It is important to point out that while South East gave 98.3% of their votes to PDP, South South gave 96.3%, while South West 60.4%, making them the only region that doesn't give bloc vote, while South East as PDP's strongest hold.

In 2015, South West gave 1851416 votes to PDP while giving 2433193 votes to APC, making APC win South West by a meager votes of 581777, advantage Anambra in the South East rendered useless by giving PDP 660762, returning advantage to PDP by 78985 votes.

It is important to point out that since majority of the 1851416 votes to PDP were gotten from Igbo dominated areas, should South West vote the way they did in 2015, Anambra will always be on ground to restore advantage.

While South West gave 43.2% of their votes to PDP, South East gave 93.0% of their votes to PDP while South South gave 91.8%. This again confirms South East as PDP's strongest hold and South West as the only region that doesn't give bloc votes in the South.

While South West contributed 14.4% of the total PDP's votes of 12853162 and 15.8% of APC's votes, South South and South East contributed 55.9% of PDP's votes and 4.0% of APC's votes leaving the entire North and FCT to contibute the other 29.7% of PDP's votes and 80.2% of APC's votes.

Finally it is important to point out 4 things:
1. In 2011, assuming South West gave 100% of their votes to Buhari's CPC who came second and gave nothing to PDP and other parties, Jonathan's PDP would have still won the election by 6093068 votes.

South West voted 2786417 for PDP, 1369943 for ACN, 321609 to CPC and 30906 for ANPP.

2. In 2015, assuming South West as a region decided not to vote at all, Buhari would have still won by 1989982 votes.

3. In 2015, assuming South West APC decided not to vote, allowing only South West PDP to vote for Jonathan, Buhari would have still won by 138566 votes.

4. Maybe as a result of faulty card reader recorded in the South East and South South during the election, which even caused His Excellency, the former President to try 7 times before been captured, turn out in SE fell from 66.9% in 2011 to 37% in 2015 and turn out in the South South fell from 67% in 2011 to 56% in 2015, while South West got the same turn out as in 2011. In the North, turn out in 2015 was 54.4% in Kebbi, 60% in Zamfara, while Boko Haram infested Borno, Adamawa and Yobe had an average turn out of 41.7%.

Assuming South East and South South alone voted in 2015 the way they did in 2011, with the other 4 regions and FCT voting like they did in 2015, Jonathan would have gotten 16777385 votes, beating Buhari with 1352464 votes.

In summary, experience from 1999 has taught us that South West PDP supporters are mainly Igbos and Niger Deltans, while South West APC (which metamorphosed from ACN) are mainly Yorubas.

Statistics from 2011 Presidential election equally confirms this. In that year, South West as a region alone, fielding a Northerner, Mallam Ribadu running on a Yoruba regional party ACN, gave the party 65.9% of its total vote, while contributing 89% of the Party's votes from the South, while South East and South South provided the other 11%.

Statistics from 2007, when His Excellency, the former Vice President, ran on that platform equally confirms this.

As a result of this, the South West can never offer a bloc vote. Hence, no matter who South West APC vote for, they CAN NEVER influence the outcome of any Presidential election. Their votes are just formalities.

SOURCES:
https://naijagists.com/final-inec-results-of-2015-nigerian-presidential-election-by-state-buhari-wins-21-states-gej-picks-16/

www.nigerianmuse.com/20110419040622zg/sections/general-articles/details-of-2011-presidential-election-results-in-nigeria/

My brother from another mother you are good and quite perspicuous in your fantastic analysis! Keep it up
Re: The King Makers: Political Clout In The South by SouthEastFacts: 7:38am On Dec 13, 2017
senatordave1:

Stop this biased nonsense.i agree there were underage voting but whats the percentage,was the number significant,where they up to 100,000? What about the mindless vote inflation and massive thumbprinting down south? Is it not clear to you that the south rigs election more than the north? At least chiod voters are humans,what about the multiple thumbprinting and animal thumbprints in south,isnt it inhuman? Less than 100 people voted in my village yet close to 2k votes were recorded for pdp,how manage? Did you know obj had 1.3 million votes in ogun in 2003 out of 1.4 million registered voters? He had 2 million in rivers with a voters register of 2.4 million? When has the north recorded such incredible fraud? Anambra,imo and abia had close to 1.3 million votes between 2003 and 2011 polls with a register of less than 1.8 million each when most of them do not come out to vote? Both apc and pdp rigs but apc rigging is more credible and with a human face.
I am tired of people like you, spewing trash without statistics to back it up.

I addressed this issue in previous comments.

Who told you Igbos don't votes? All markets in SE were closed during that election, yet turn out was low.

You want to tell me Aba alone can't give a vote of more 300K?

Check Anambra gubernatorial election statistics, the percentage election turnout has been growing consistently in 2 different elections, by 39% on both occasions.

The way this turn out has been growing, turn out in 2017 gubernatorial was expected to be over 60% which lies around the same range with that of 2011. Maybe IPOB activities made it to record the 21% as it did.
Re: The King Makers: Political Clout In The South by SouthEastFacts: 7:42am On Dec 13, 2017
GavelSlam:

Yet your analysis does not tally with your reference.

My argument is simple: Your analysis cannot be trusted when even your statistics do not add up, you cannot say from where you get your figures.
So you want to tell me you didn't see the sources.

If you are not comfortable with analysis, run yours, write a rejoinder and mention me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

South West Vs North West Development / Counting The Cost Of Bad Roads To Lives And Nigeria's Economy / Lagos In Indeed The Dirtiest City, But

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.