Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,830 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

Recommendations, Please! I Need A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Recommendations, Please! I Need A Job (1001 Views)

Third Party Recommendations Are Also A Way To Land Jobs / Looking For Job Placement/recommendations / Job Recommendations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recommendations, Please! I Need A Job by NnenaRita(m): 12:33pm On Dec 13, 2017
Jj
Re: Recommendations, Please! I Need A Job by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 18, 2017
Went through your diary and funny enough, you've got a similar story with me

Stay in lagos
Also studied English and lit
Rounded up my service in may
Got a contract job sometime in September
But was laid off
And ever since, I've been looking for another..

Hasn't been easy but we'll get there

What are your thoughts about manual submission of cvs??
Re: Recommendations, Please! I Need A Job by Atk1nson(m): 8:21pm On Dec 18, 2017
ukjerry:

Stay in lagos
But was laid off

@ ukjerry & nnenarita, Try to build a strong network comprising a lot of HR and top management persons using LinkedIn. Once you've s1uccessfully done that your story will be "what kind of job do I need?". It takes a little bit of time and effort, fortunately that ensures the only few people try it out and so a lot of opportunities abound there, good luck
Re: Recommendations, Please! I Need A Job by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 18, 2017
Atk1nson:

@ ukjerry & nnenarita, Try to build a strong network comprising a lot of HR and top management persons using LinkedIn. Once you've s1uccessfully done that your story will be "what kind of job do I need?". It takes a little bit of time and effort, fortunately that ensures the only few people try it out and so a lot of opportunities abound there, good luck

Hey Atk1nson smiley
Thanks for caring and replying..

The problem I'm having with linkedin is "i think it favours the employed with experience more than graduates looking to start out.

I believe they feel they know why an unemployed individual is sending them the invite in the first place and truly, they aren't far from the truth

I've tried sending invites to top management people and Hr 's but 1 out of 30 accepts the connection invite.
Re: Recommendations, Please! I Need A Job by Atk1nson(m): 2:12am On Dec 19, 2017
ukjerry:

Hey Atk1nson smiley
Thanks for caring and replying..

The problem I'm having with linkedin is "i think it favours the employed with experience more than graduates looking to start out.

I believe they feel they know why an unemployed individual is sending them the invite in the first place and truly, they aren't far from the truth

I've tried sending invites to top management people and Hr 's but 1 out of 30 accepts the connection invite.

Try this:

1. Build a profile rich with your informal employment/volunteer experience. Your profile should portray you as a gogetter at a glance

2. Search out active & relevant HR persons. Most of them may not be inclined to accept a new connection because they probably receive lots of those everyday. So in addition to sending a connection request, "follow" them. They are unlikely to decline your "follow" action as it gets automatically accepted.

Following them gives you the opportunity to seen their posts and other activities and make comments

3. Do the same for key professionals in your field too

The algorithm on LinkedIn will keep suggesting other relevant people, just keep following and connecting where necessary

4. Create visibility for yourself by making interesting comments, thought leadership and articulate submissions

With time your efforts will pay off and you'll become hotcake. I've seen freshgraduates receive several job offers due to posts made on LinkedIn. It may be easier getting a job as a freshgraduate as many of your connections will be able to more easily employ a freshgraduate compared to an experienced hire who will have built up a lot of preferences that prospective employers may not be able to meet.

Be careful not to appear desperate or an attention-seeking, just "flow" at a reasonable rate and people will take not of d strength of your personality over time

4 Likes

Re: Recommendations, Please! I Need A Job by NnenaRita(m): 8:11pm On Dec 24, 2017
ukjerry:

Stay in lagos
But was laid off

That will be awesome. I have been thinking of doing something like that but wanted someone to do the hustling together.

However, I'm not in Lagos now but hope to be back by January. So how can I get to you?
Re: Recommendations, Please! I Need A Job by NnenaRita(m): 8:12pm On Dec 24, 2017
Atk1nson:

Try this:

1. Build a profile rich with your informal employment/volunteer experience. Your profile should portray you as a gogetter at a glance

2. Search out active & relevant HR persons. Most of them may not be inclined to accept a new connection because they probably receive lots of those everyday. So in addition to sending a connection request, "follow" them. They are unlikely to decline your "follow" action as it gets automatically accepted.

Following them gives you the opportunity to seen their posts and other activities and make comments

3. Do the same for key professionals in your field too

The algorithm on LinkedIn will keep suggesting other relevant people, just keep following and connecting where necessary

4. Create visibility for yourself by making interesting comments, thought leadership and articulate submissions

With time your efforts will pay off and you'll become hotcake. I've seen freshgraduates receive several job offers due to posts made on LinkedIn. It may be easier getting a job as a freshgraduate as many of your connections will be able to more easily employ a freshgraduate compared to an experienced hire who will have built up a lot of preferences that prospective employers may not be able to meet.

Be careful not to appear desperate or an attention-seeking, just "flow" at a reasonable rate and people will take not of d strength of your personality over time

Thank you.
Re: Recommendations, Please! I Need A Job by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 24, 2017
NnenaRita:

That will be awesome. I have been thinking of doing something like that but wanted someone to do the hustling together.

However, I'm not in Lagos now but hope to be back by January. So how can I get to you?
I've pmed you

(1) (Reply)

Teachers Wanted at an International School at Magboro/Makogi Axis / Latest Recruitment At Greenlight Planet (3 Positions) / Vacancy: High Paying Graduate Jobs At An International NGO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.