Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,456 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) (33246 Views)

Wierd And Bizarre Cultures In Africa That Will Leave You Shocked / Our Tradition Is Not Totally Bad In Itself. It's Modernism That Is Misleading Us / 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Acidosis(m): 8:09am On Dec 14, 2017
cescky:
angry

Culture, tradition, beliefs

The cause and the curse for the black man's backwardness and retrogression

We have all the culture in Africa yet, wer the most hungry, negative and wicked people.

Whites have no culture, but their exploits have taken them to other planets and back.

Keep culturing....it only taking unborn generations backward

Whites have no culture? This is new.

Google "Hofstede Cultural Dimension"

Check the results for different countries, particularly the Chinese and other Asian countries.
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Rebuke: 8:10am On Dec 14, 2017
How will incest not be frown at? Even biblically itz vry wrong.

Imagine yhu sleeping wt yhur own relative. Vry unimaginable
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:11am On Dec 14, 2017
you did not add the osu caste system as well as female widows drinking from the wash dead bodies of their husbands or say barbing of someone hair.....oyibo people never fit stop that one ooo

2 Likes

Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:12am On Dec 14, 2017
I was given an assignment on this op last semester. Maybe I should post it too.
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Richy4(m): 8:14am On Dec 14, 2017
I have never heard of number 4 before... I guess I did not do history long enough...
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by olowobaba10: 8:15am On Dec 14, 2017
d
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by oloripelebe2: 8:22am On Dec 14, 2017
That number 2 though,some tribes don't respect their Elders grin

Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Disneylady(f): 8:37am On Dec 14, 2017
The egg part though.....children wey need protein wella
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by ImaIma1(f): 8:38am On Dec 14, 2017
LOVEGINO:
If you re pregnant, don't go out @ night �

Or in the sun.

And when you are going out, pin a safety pin to your underwear cheesy

1 Like

Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Firstcitizen: 8:40am On Dec 14, 2017
In Africa, It is a taboo for a Lady to take a man out on a date and pay the bills.
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by samuk: 8:40am On Dec 14, 2017
Queen Elizabeth of England and her husband Prince Philip are both great grand children of queen Victoria of England. In the past the entire royal family of Europe were blood relatives.

1 Like

Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by cescky(m): 8:43am On Dec 14, 2017
Acidosis:

Whites have no culture? This is new.

Google "Hofstede Cultural Dimension"

Check the results for different countries, particularly the Chinese and other Asian countries.

Oga with your solid piece on Christianity yesterday...
Am surprised your making this statement...

The Chinese ain't white...their a world Power yes..but their more of copycats..and have very similar issues with plagues in Africa...abeg I no get Power to argue, leave me..our culture is our limitation take it or leave me
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Xisnin(m): 8:46am On Dec 14, 2017
cescky:
angry

We have all the culture in Africa yet, wer the most hungry, negative and wicked people.

Whites have no culture, but their exploits have taken them to other planets and back.

Frustrated man, every human society has culture, if you don't have culture you are
not human. I blame your primary school teachers.
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 14, 2017
Eggs. smiley
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by cescky(m): 8:49am On Dec 14, 2017
Xisnin:

Frustrated man, every human society has culture, if you don't have culture you are
not human. I blame your primary school teachers.

From the fruits we know them.

Am not the cause of your poverty..

Channel your frustration towards people named Buhari...am not one of those
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by fuckpro: 8:50am On Dec 14, 2017
Nutase:
number one is a lie. hausa/fulani marry there 1st cousins.
...they have stop the practice because of southerners
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Nobody: 8:53am On Dec 14, 2017
Rebuke:
How will incest not be frown at? Even biblically itz vry wrong.

Imagine yhu sleeping wt yhur own relative. Vry unimaginable
Bible aside,it also has health implications in the case of offsprings born out of incestuous contracts. Such children tend to be born with certain congenial defects. Clammy!
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 14, 2017
@Xisnin Brutal truth there. Social Studies 101. School that guy.
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Nobody: 9:01am On Dec 14, 2017
@Samuk True. Most of the royal houses/dynasties that the world has seen practised inbreeding and incest. Another example is the Japanese imperial house where you can't marry outside the royal family of Japan. A princess tried that recently and she was asked to renounce her right to throne. It was a norm in the Thai Royal household too.
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Ugosample(m): 9:03am On Dec 14, 2017
iliyande:
There is nothing like respect again oo See as Nigerians dey disrespect baba buhari anyhow
Same thing GEJ suffered

Most of the people insulting are younger than some of his children
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by iliyande(m): 9:37am On Dec 14, 2017
Ugosample:

Same thing GEJ suffered

Most of the people insulting are younger than some of his children

mmmmh
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by seguntijan(m): 9:42am On Dec 14, 2017
Old men who have held the country hostage for years hold meetings day and night. They travel far and wide for conventions to discuss how to further wreak havoc on us. They are not just stealing from the treasury, they have the keys to the vault. When given tasks, they accomplish them swiftly. And that is why we feel the pain immediately.

But you the young man who is not too young to run, anytime we call for meetings, rallies, protests, we practically beg you to partake. When you come, you spend the first 1 hour chatting with a fellow nuisance on your phone. When we eventually plead to you to be attentive in the meeting, you listen to respond and attack. Not to learn and contribute.
For protests, you are too handsome and neat to walk the streets. 30 minutes into the protest, you are already complaining of backache, headache and even brainache. When we call for press conferences to address issues, you are always busy. At the end of the year, show us the proceeds of your being busy- there is nothing to show. Being BUSY but not in BUSINESS. I pity this generation.

Is it not oríburúkú ('unfortunate' would not pass the message powerfully as I want) that in a population of over 180 million people with 60% as youths, we are served in 2019 with the choice of Buhari or Atiku? If you don't know, brother, it is called 'eríibú' in Ilorin dialect.

There is a name given to you freely by the generous people of Oyo. It is Òpònú ayíradà. Òpònú ayíradà is someone who wants to enjoy the dividends of democracy without giving his shares in the struggle. Show me the Bank that gives dividends without receiving shares! Show me! So I can report to the E.F.C.C.

Adeyeye Olorunfemi

1 Like

Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by anoda(m): 9:50am On Dec 14, 2017
iliyande:
There is nothing like respect again oo See as Nigerians dey disrespect baba buhari anyhow
what d u expect
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Franklerry: 9:52am On Dec 14, 2017
[color=#006600][/color]
tstx:
Not way i was expecting when i opened the thread,.... In a wah this post reminds me of the 10 Things Our Nigerian Parents Were Actually Right About
tstx:
Not way i was expecting when i opened the thread,.... In a wah this post reminds me of the [b]10 Things Our Nigerian Parents Were Actually Right About
[/b]
tstx:
Not way i was expecting when i opened the thread,.... In a wah this post reminds me of the 10 Things Our Nigerian Parents Were Actually Right About

Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 14, 2017
@Disneylady Well,since eggs are not the only known source(s) of protein,the foetus still has a crack at survival. Don't you think so?
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Nutase: 10:13am On Dec 14, 2017
fuckpro:
...they have stop the practice because of southerners
big fat lie.
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by LadyJasper: 10:20am On Dec 14, 2017
samuk:
Queen Elizabeth of England and her husband Prince Philip are both great grand children of queen Victoria of England. In the past the entire royal family of Europe were blood relatives.
That's why if you read that history very well, you'd see that some of those children born into royalty from incestuous relationships and marriage in the attempt to keep the blue blood within themselves, were born with serious genetic defects and abnormalities.
The occurrence or reoccurrence of such genetic defects and abnormalities could have been greatly reduced or totally wiped out if they had married outside their relatives.
So you see, prohibiting incest isn't just moral, but also biologically necessary.

1 Like

Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Disneylady(f): 10:21am On Dec 14, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@Disneylady Well,since eggs are not the only known source(s) of protein,the foetus still has a crack at survival. Don't you think so?
Yeah
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by omoelerin1: 11:06am On Dec 14, 2017
cescky:
angry

There are many ethnic/cultural groups among the whites that still hold on to their primitive culture and tradition, at the same time, their are blacks who have jettisoned their traditional lifestyles and embraced modernization. So, don't generalize all the whites.

Inferiority complex.
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by phlame(m): 12:24pm On Dec 14, 2017
13ShadesOfMay:
Africa is a predominately a traditional society that has evolved over the years. It is interesting that there are still many taboos which have refused to go away despite advancement of many countries in the region.

Some actions that are categorized as taboos have a social or religious explanation which restricts people from engaging in them. As a result, some of these taboos still influence how many African communities handle certain issues.

Here are 5 African taboos that people have refused to let go.

1. Consummating with relatives

Having sex with one’s relative is a taboo considered as the worst form of sin in most African communities. As such, people that were known to have engaged in this act are usually outcast. The level of modernization in many communities have not stopped this practice.

In Africa, it is believed that engaging in such act attracts many tragedies to the family and the community. Poverty, epilepsy, stunted progress and occurrence of epidemics were cited as consequences.
For some communities, both individuals found culprits are killed to conciliate the gods or ancestors.

2. Disrespecting the elderly

One of the core fabrics of African customs is ‘Respect’. Hence, disrespecting an elder is considered misgivings to the young person.

It also is a common practice that young people are not allowed to shake hands with an elderly person, or for opposite sex (either married or single) to hold hands or display any romantic display in the presence of an elderly person.

3. Family and staying In-laws

In many communities in Africa, there are taboos as regards relating to one’s in-laws or marriage relatives. For instance, it is unacceptable for a father-in-law to visit while the husband is not around.

Also, some communities disallowed not naming a first child after the groom’s father or mother – based on the sex of the new baby.

4. Pot breaking – Accidental or intentional

Pot breaking is still considered a great taboo in many parts of Africa, including Southern Nigeria. This object made of clay is generally considered the uterus of women which have to be handled with care.

Among the Gikuyu tribe (the largest ethnic group in Kenya) and Igbo tribe of Nigeria, a special ritual is performed to appease the god and cleanse a woman who broke a cooking or water pot.

5[b]. Food taboo[/b]

Food taboo is also one practice that modernism has failed to take away from many communities in Africa. For instance, consumption of some fruits is strongly discouraged for women during pregnancy.
In some Central African countries, eating of eggs is forbidden for children.

http://pulse.ng/bi/lifestyle/5-taboos-across-africa-that-modernism-failed-to-take-away-id7701450.html

@OP U should say in "Nigeria" not "Africa"
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by joshrare(m): 12:30pm On Dec 14, 2017
iliyande:
Buhari nor follow
Re: 5 Taboos Across Africa That Modernism Failed To Take Away (Pics) by Onlyson96(m): 12:35pm On Dec 14, 2017
13ShadesOfMay:
Africa is a predominately a traditional society that has evolved over the years. It is interesting that there are still many taboos which have refused to go away despite advancement of many countries in the region.

Some actions that are categorized as taboos have a social or religious explanation which restricts people from engaging in them. As a result, some of these taboos still influence how many African communities handle certain issues.

Here are 5 African taboos that people have refused to let go.

1. Consummating with relatives

Having sex with one’s relative is a taboo considered as the worst form of sin in most African communities. As such, people that were known to have engaged in this act are usually outcast. The level of modernization in many communities have not stopped this practice.

In Africa, it is believed that engaging in such act attracts many tragedies to the family and the community. Poverty, epilepsy, stunted progress and occurrence of epidemics were cited as consequences.
For some communities, both individuals found culprits are killed to conciliate the gods or ancestors.

2. Disrespecting the elderly

One of the core fabrics of African customs is ‘Respect’. Hence, disrespecting an elder is considered misgivings to the young person.

It also is a common practice that young people are not allowed to shake hands with an elderly person, or for opposite sex (either married or single) to hold hands or display any romantic display in the presence of an elderly person.

3. Family and staying In-laws

In many communities in Africa, there are taboos as regards relating to one’s in-laws or marriage relatives. For instance, it is unacceptable for a father-in-law to visit while the husband is not around.

Also, some communities disallowed not naming a first child after the groom’s father or mother – based on the sex of the new baby.

4. Pot breaking – Accidental or intentional

Pot breaking is still considered a great taboo in many parts of Africa, including Southern Nigeria. This object made of clay is generally considered the uterus of women which have to be handled with care.

Among the Gikuyu tribe (the largest ethnic group in Kenya) and Igbo tribe of Nigeria, a special ritual is performed to appease the god and cleanse a woman who broke a cooking or water pot.

5[b]. Food taboo[/b]

Food taboo is also one practice that modernism has failed to take away from many communities in Africa. For instance, consumption of some fruits is strongly discouraged for women during pregnancy.
In some Central African countries, eating of eggs is forbidden for children.

http://pulse.ng/bi/lifestyle/5-taboos-across-africa-that-modernism-failed-to-take-away-id7701450.html
no b lie..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake / Artificial Rain Making: How Is It Done?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.