Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education (35455 Views)

Ndidi & Mezuo Nwuneli First Couple To Deliver Keynote At Harvard Business School / Nemitari Ajienka Becomes The Youngest Lecturer At Edge Hill University, UK (Pic) / Salihu Dasuki Is Youngest Senior Lecturer At Sheffield Hallam University UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by ipobarecriminals: 7:49am On Dec 15, 2017
cool
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by dotcomnamename: 7:54am On Dec 15, 2017
Oyinbo don't look at your education. They look at your experience, intelligence and knowledge.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Lomprico2: 7:54am On Dec 15, 2017
Mirabel14:
Grace at work!

Hard work n professionalism at work! If she does not know it, she wont be there!
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by BruncleZuma: 7:55am On Dec 15, 2017
Newshelm what is the source of this post?...she's a world renowned batik artist yes...lecturer at Harvard I doubt that.

http://www.artnet.com/artists/nike-davies-okundaye/biography

She's been invited to give workshops on batik by Cambridge and Harvard doesn't make her a lecturer there...and your blogs have been altering this information for traffic.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Luukasz(m): 7:55am On Dec 15, 2017
Edoloaded:
she be benin oh not yoruba
Bini's are yoruba people; sons and daughters of the great odua
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by BruncleZuma: 7:57am On Dec 15, 2017
Luukasz:

She's from Kogi

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by kadree(m): 7:57am On Dec 15, 2017
musicwriter:

Not just because of problem of education in Nigeria, but because of the system of education handed down to Africa by white people, which doesn't allow us think outside the box.

We're trained to vilify anything we create, to consider our creation as inferior, to exalt white people. That's what the colonial masters told us to do. We were trained to believe the only thing we should consider valuable is what white people consider valuable.

Unfortunately, we're going to continue that way until we discard the colonial education handed down to us and create our own version of what education should be.

One of the best input on this fora. Keep it up!
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by musicwriter(m): 7:58am On Dec 15, 2017
Ezyp:

Good. But now that our eyes are opened, what's stopping us from doing the right thing. Abi dem still dey scope us.

That's a very good question!!.

Yes, they're still controlling our minds, not our body. We've freed the body, but not the mind. And the reason they continue to control us is because we've all been indoctrinated up to the point we accept their lie as the truth and the truth as the lie. We can't even convince ourselves anymore that we have the wrong version of education, because the education keeps us in a box that we're supposed not to break.

"when you control a man's thinking, you do not have to worry about his actions. You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder. He will find his (proper place) and will stay in it. You do not need to send him to the back door. He will go without being told. In fact, if there is no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes it necessary"......... Dr. Carter. G Woodson, writing in his book; the mis-education of the Negro.

Such is our situation.

Dr. Walter Rodney, towards the end of his book, How Europe underdeveloped Africa, wondered whether there's something divine about our underdevelopment, such that no matter what we do we'll remain underdeveloped. I've reached a point in this research where I' am beginning to consider our backwardness may be divine. Because, as you've wondered, now that the truth is out there's nothing stopping us from dropping the white man's education and create ours. Japan, Korea, Vietnam, China, e.t.c have all solved the same problem.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Trustme2(m): 8:05am On Dec 15, 2017
Edoloaded:
Now this is what i call a real benin woman, Edo representing
E be like say you get hearing impairment. She's from Ogidi the Yoruba speaking part of Kogi State. Her current husband isn't her first husband. She had a lot of challenges in marriage. The current husband is her third and he's from Edo State. Hope you understand now

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Bifrost: 8:10am On Dec 15, 2017
IamLaura:
Depends on what's she's lecturing.
Not every person that doesn't have formal education is dumb and not every person that did is intelligent.

You're very wise.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by FloatingPoint: 8:11am On Dec 15, 2017
She worked her way in her workshop to become a professor in a her own craft. A remarkable woman indeed.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by princeade86(m): 8:11am On Dec 15, 2017
i dnt knw why people are arguing blindly. Are benins not yoruba? Pls quote me with ur fact. If u dnt av fact, go to benin city and find out their names if is nt sound like yoruba. Many of them do hide their yoruba name.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by KENZINCO(m): 8:14am On Dec 15, 2017
trekkie:
How can I get in touch with her? I want to interview her
one of her Art Gallery is located at Ikate junction ( formally 3rd roundabout ) along lekki Epe Express way. I see her around most of the times
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by freeman95(m): 8:27am On Dec 15, 2017
musicwriter:

Not just because of problem of education in Nigeria, but because of the system of education handed down to Africa by white people, which doesn't allow us think outside the box.

We're trained to vilify anything we create, to consider our creation as inferior, to exalt white people. That's what the colonial masters told us to do. We were trained to believe the only thing we should consider valuable is what white people consider valuable.

The only reason we're even talking about this woman now is because white people thinks she's valuable. If white people didn't say so, we will all call her a useless illiterate.

Unfortunately, we're going to continue that way until we discard the colonial education handed down to us and create our own version of what education should be.

So so succinct
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by KanwuliaExtra: 8:27am On Dec 15, 2017
Congrats and Happy Halloween in arrears ma! kiss
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by onadana: 8:29am On Dec 15, 2017
Mirabel14:
Grace at work!
No be only grace na lace. Her gift maketh a way for her.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by SicilianMafia: 8:33am On Dec 15, 2017
[[s]quote author=princeade86 post=63297077]i dnt knw why people are arguing blindly. Are benins not yoruba? Pls quote me with ur fact. If u dnt av fact, go to benin city and find out their names if is nt sound like yoruba. Many of them do hide their yoruba name.[/quote][/s]

No body is going to waste time to quote you because it is absurd to say Edo is Yoruba
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by SicilianMafia: 8:35am On Dec 15, 2017
moscobabs:

and benin is not a Yoruba

NO!!
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by SicilianMafia: 8:36am On Dec 15, 2017
Luukasz:

grin grin grin grin grin

What is this one saying biko
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Hardeybaryor(m): 8:36am On Dec 15, 2017
Boerhavia:
Yoruba,from Osogbo but I think she has a connection with Kogi state too.

She based in Osogbo and has her Art Gallery there.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by OROSUNBOLB(m): 8:37am On Dec 15, 2017
Mama 'Nike Art Gallery' in Osogbo. It 's funny somebody is trying very hard to connect this great Yoruba woman to Benin or whatever they call it. There is no 'forming familiarity' here; I know her like I know my hands!

3 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by PrinceFromDilli(m): 8:39am On Dec 15, 2017
samebony1:
Reading her profile is a pleasure.
Unfortunately Nigerian universities have not deem it fit to invite her as one of their faculty members,
while foreign universities are benefiting from her wealth of experience.
This shows the static nature of Nigerian education system that is so certificate centric

Kudos,

Experience and certification are two different thing entirely.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by SicilianMafia: 8:40am On Dec 15, 2017
OROSUNBOLB:
Mama 'Nike Art Gallery' in Osogbo. It 's funny somebody is trying very hard to connect this great Yoruba woman to Benin or whatever they call it. There is no 'forming familiarity' here; I know her like I know my hands!

She is married to an Edo Man , that's the connection abi you wanto claim her husband too? grin grin grin
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by SicilianMafia: 8:40am On Dec 15, 2017
PrinceFromDilli:

Kudos,

Experience and certification are two different thing entirely.

Abi
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by sholaball: 8:45am On Dec 15, 2017
[quote author=musicwriter post=63288050]

The only reason we're even talking about this woman now is because white people thinks she's valuable. If white people didn't say so, we will all call her a useless illiterate.

Pls shut up ur dirty mouth. Every African problem must be linked to d white man. Where were u taught in school that ur culture isn't good? Name that subject or subjects or courses that pulled down anything African? Oga our education was destroyed when d military incursed into d political space, that was when everything spoiled. But typical African as u are would blame a white man for your leaders ineptitude. With what uve written it's so clear the problem is with Africa as we can't solve our problem again.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Oponel1962: 8:46am On Dec 15, 2017
Everyone is fighting over her now but it wouldn't have been so if she is a beggar. Policy makers and unfortunately, university graduates, are the problem of this Country. Technology is the engine for advancement and it's the secret of all advance Nations. Polytechnics are no longer relevant in Nations that are interested in development.They have all upgraded to University of Technologies. Na una sabi pass the owner of the language wen una dey speak. Be independent.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by AlanSugar(m): 8:47am On Dec 15, 2017
I don't believe this angle "without formal education", what language then does she use to teach the textile stuff, Yoruba! C'mon, at least she had some basic education, unless I don't know what "formal" means! Stop bringing people down for God's sake and most importantly, stop denigrating the Nigerian educational system. It might not be the best but it's certainly not the worst in Africa, haba!
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by bakynes(m): 8:49am On Dec 15, 2017
SicilianMafia:

She is married to an Edo Man , that's the connection abi you wanto claim her husband too? grin grin grin
So because her husband is Edo that now automatically makes her Edo?
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by SicilianMafia: 8:53am On Dec 15, 2017
bakynes:

So because her husband is Edo that now automatically makes her Edo?

When you marry into a family you also marry into the tribe abi norbe so?
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by greatman247(m): 8:54am On Dec 15, 2017
IamLaura:
Not every person that doesn't have formal education is dumb and not every person that does is intelligent.

I like your sense of reasoning

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by steve6: 8:54am On Dec 15, 2017
This is what you find in places where ingenuity is valued.... not in some other places where all they want to see is paper certificate ! I did not mention any place ooo! grin
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 15, 2017
IamLaura:
Not every person that doesn't have formal education is dumb and not every person that does is intelligent.
in local parlance, passing 6 is not passing sense

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Amosun Gives 11 Exercise Books & N5000 To Best Student On Children Day / Awka Prison Inmate Graduates With PGD, MSC In Information Technology (Photos) / PTDF Overseas Scholarship 2013/2014: Shortlisted Candidates.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.