Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax (660 Views)

Oyo State: Churches, Mosques With Revenue-earning Businesses Will Pay Tax / Nigerians Pay N400 Billion Bribes Annually – ICPC Official / Meet Zainab Ahmed, Biography, Profile, Age, Finance Minister (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by deji17: 5:36pm On Dec 14, 2017
Finance Minister: only 40 million Nigerians pay tax
Posted By: Kofoworola Belo-Osagie and Adenike Abayomi On: December 14, 2017

Out of 70 million taxable adults in Nigeria, only 40 million of them pay taxes, the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun has said.

She spoke at the first annual lecture of the Lagos State Professorial Chair of Tax and Fiscal Matters held at the Ade-Ajayi Auditorium of the University of Lagos.

Mrs Adeosun who chaired the lecture, said about 13 per cent of the active tax payers have their taxes deducted at source under the Pay as You Earn (PAYE) category.

She said tax policies cannot be rigid and needed regular reviews so that many more of the 30 million defaulters pay their taxes.

She said: “I have kept asking why the 30 million people have refused to pay taxes. Another major challenge is the fact that many Nigerians have other sources of income, yet they are only taxed only through the PAYE. Yet, they earn so much from part-time jobs, and extra businesses.”

According to the minister, new tax policies in the country must capture online businesses, entrepreneurship and others such as the film industry, otherwise regarded as nollywood.

Mrs. Adeosun, who reiterated the importance of taxation to national development, noted that every developed country has a well developed tax policy and that Nigeria cannot be an exception.

In his lecture titled: “Policy, Legal and Administrative Imperatives in the Quest for Eradicating Multiplicity of Taxes (MOT) in Lagos State” Prof Abiola Sanni of the UNILAG Law Faculty, lamented the intractable nature of “the phenomenon called multiplicity of taxes in Nigeria despite the effort aimed at addressing it and need to consider fresh interventions from the dimension of tax policy.”

Sanni said Lagos State had nine tax laws from which the government gets income but a review revealed that only three of them – hotel occupancy and restaurant law, land fees and land use charge, and wharf landing fees law are currently been administered in the state.

He further said the Federal Government should admit that an important aspect of Value Added Tax (VAT) on intra-state supply of goods and services was within the taxing powers of states and should be allowed to use it.

http://thenationonlineng.net/finance-minister-40-million-nigerians-pay-tax/

1 Share

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by Cozbymaster97(m): 5:38pm On Dec 14, 2017
grin
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by lecowas: 5:44pm On Dec 14, 2017
And most of them are even undertaxed. But wait o, I don't think 40 million people are "gainfully" employed in Nigeria.
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by kokoA(m): 5:45pm On Dec 14, 2017
Only 40million have jobs.
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by littlewonders: 5:48pm On Dec 14, 2017
Madam find another lie. This one no work
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by Stalwert: 5:57pm On Dec 14, 2017
True. Most people into business even fraudulently declare profits low so as to evade tax. The government should sustain its efforts in developing infrastructure, only then will the good in Nigeria have no excuse not to pay taxes.

But wealthy Nigerian crooks are another case entirely they do not want to pay anything at all.

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by Stalwert: 5:57pm On Dec 14, 2017
littlewonders:

littlewonders:

Spotted

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by AnodaIT(m): 6:01pm On Dec 14, 2017
How many are employed
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by littlewonders: 6:02pm On Dec 14, 2017
Stalwert:

Spotted

Paid man!
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by Stalwert: 6:03pm On Dec 14, 2017
littlewonders:

Paid man!

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by unohbethel(m): 6:05pm On Dec 14, 2017
stupidity is when ur advocating for more tax to be paid while the tax thats is been payed are stolen and used for private use my corrupt government officials

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by SalamRushdie: 6:06pm On Dec 14, 2017
Does this woman also realise that over 80million Nigerians are stark poor and we only have 803 thousand people who are qualified to be called middle class in the country...Does she also realise that just slightly over ten thousand people own for 78 percent of the bank deposits in Nigeria and most of them are corrupt govt officials and civil servants ...for forty million people to pay tax in a country where only 10 thousand are chopping is a miracle in taxation and Nigerians should be commended jare

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by Stalwert: 6:08pm On Dec 14, 2017
[s]
SalamRushdie:
Does this woman also realise that over 800 million Nigerians are stark poor and we only have 803 thousand people who are qualified to be called middle class in the country
[/s]

Na you born 800million Nigerians? To do opposition no mean say make you lie 24 hrs

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by SalamRushdie: 6:10pm On Dec 14, 2017
Stalwert:
[s][/s]

Na you born 800million Nigerians? To do opposition no mean say make you lie 24 hrs

You should know I meant 80 million ...it as a typo and its been fixed

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by deji17: 6:25pm On Dec 14, 2017
SalamRushdie:

With your antecedent, it is not hard to conclude that you will call black, white and vice versa..

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by Stalwert: 6:25pm On Dec 14, 2017
SalamRushdie:

You see lying always involves error cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by greatermax77(m): 6:47pm On Dec 14, 2017
She should go up North. Many adults over there do not pay tax
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by pedrilo: 7:20pm On Dec 14, 2017
Stupidd woman, how many jobs did you create?

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by EternalTruths: 7:26pm On Dec 14, 2017
This bloody Afonja has come again.
Pay tax on top unemployment.
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by bola565: 7:29pm On Dec 14, 2017
Today I saw two blind people fighting then I shouted "I'm supporting the one with the knife", they both ran away
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by yanshDoctor: 7:42pm On Dec 14, 2017
every nigeria pay tax either direct tax or indirect tax. example of indirect tax is when you buy fuel you already pay tax. when you buy a bottle of bear you paid tax.

now back to direct tax. all poor nigeria masses that do business paid tax. it the rich politicains that doesn't pay direct tax. e.g buhari doesn't pay tax for cows business.

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by deji17: 8:11pm On Dec 14, 2017
Yes, Nigerians pay Tax on some goods and services like other countries . But our VAT is one of the lowest in the world, especially on luxury items. What the honourable Minister is alluding to, is called Personal Income tax.
In fact in some countries, once you are above 18 years, you must pay tax. The amount may be zero naira or a certain percentage of all you earnings including gifts. That is where Nigeria should be and that is where we will be eventually.
Unknown to maNy, this is one of the structural change that is happening under this Govt. It may be slow but gradual...

https://tax.thomsonreuters.com/blog/onesource/vat-gst-management/vat-increase-nigeria/

The IMF has recommended Nigeria increase the VAT rate and improve the tax collection. Nigeria is Africa's largest economy and has one of the lowest VAT rate's in the world at 5%. Nigeria is a member of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and follows the ECOWAS model VAT law.Feb 12, 2016
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by MONITZ: 8:14pm On Dec 14, 2017
Re the taxes paid by the gainfully employed used judiciously used?,nope I guess because a larger part of it is still pilfered/salted away..
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by Ifeanyi4491(m): 8:15pm On Dec 14, 2017
In nkoli nwa nsukka voice ''ATU MU NGEGE''
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by deji17: 8:17pm On Dec 14, 2017
Ifeanyi4491:

Ifeanyi, translate..
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by deji17: 8:21pm On Dec 14, 2017
MONITZ:
Re the taxes paid by the gainfully employed used judiciously used?,nope I guess because a larger part of it is still pilfered/salted away..
Which one comes first? The chicken or the egg? You have to pay first before you complain. Have you ever paid tax? Have you ever received income or gift?
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by Ifeanyi4491(m): 8:24pm On Dec 14, 2017
deji17:

Ifeanyi, translate..
google is everyone best friend
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by deji17: 8:39pm On Dec 14, 2017
Ifeanyi4491:
google is everyone best friend

Ngwanu
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by MONITZ: 8:55pm On Dec 14, 2017
deji17:

Which one comes first? The chicken or the egg? You have to pay first before you complain. Have you ever paid tax? Have you ever received income or gift?

Nope sir,I ain't done any of the above,I am very sorry for being too forward...
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by Nobody: 9:00pm On Dec 14, 2017
How many Nigerians feel government presence?

Yeye talk
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by Ifeanyi4491(m): 9:05pm On Dec 14, 2017
Re: Finance Minister: Only 40 Million Nigerians Pay Tax by deji17: 9:17pm On Dec 14, 2017
MONITZ:

Nope sir,I ain't done any of the above,I am very sorry for being too forward...

Bro, I know you are being satiristic. But it is important that whatever we pay to Govt in form of tax is judiciously used. We have to hold Govt accountable, but payment of tax is the law. That is how Govt can fund development.

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari The Grinch That Stole Christmas / Happy New Year To All The Afonjas Here / The Fulanization Of Nigeria And The Perfidy The British (part1)- FFK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.