Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,581 members, 7,801,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares (1636 Views)

Osun Is The Best Overall State In Nigeria - NADIM / Osun Is Second Wealthiest State In Nigeria - Financial Derivatives Company / The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by Ecstasy154(m): 5:44pm On Dec 14, 2017
Femi Makinde, Osogbo

An Osun State High Court sitting in Ilesa has said the changing of ‘Osun State’ to ‘State of Osun’ by the administration of Governor Rauf Aregbesola is illegal.

Justice Yinka Afolabi, while delivering the judgment on Thursday in a case instituted by Chairman, Nigerian Bar Association, Ilesa branch, Mr. Kanmi Ajibola, challenging the legality of the “State of Osun Land Use Charge Law,” held that the law and its makers were unknown to the 1999 Constitution.

Aregbesola had changed the name of the state from ‘Osun State’ to ‘State of Osun’ in 2011; but the NBA chairman, who is a human rights activist, approached the court in 2016 and asked the court to declare as null and void all transactions done by the state with the name ‘State of Osun.’

Afolabi also declared that the makers of the law, who are currently serving as members of the State House of Assembly, were not sworn in as members of the ‘State of Osun House of Assembly,’ but as members of ‘Osun State House of Assembly,’ going by the Seventh Schedule of the Constitution.

He said, “The executive governor of the state changed the name in 2011. The renaming of a state goes further and deeper for anyone to single-handedly do.

“To re-order the name of Osun State as “State of Osun” is hereby declared as illegal, null and void.

“On the oath of allegiance, I state that the Seventh Schedule is part of the law. It is not a mere draft or a mere oath. It does not give room for any alteration.

“After deposing to an oath of office, you cannot turn around to do otherwise,” Justice Afolabi stated.

The plaintiff had sought an order setting aside the “State of Osun Land Use Charge Law, 2016,” having been enacted by the legislative body that is not known to the Constitution and for the state not known to the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended). It is not enforceable in Osun State.

Among other reliefs sought, the plaintiff also also prayed for “a declaration that Osun State Government, having been delegated with the power to collect Land use charge revenue by the provisions of sections 2(2) and (3) of the “State of Osun Land use charge Law, 2016,” sections 4(1), 8(2), 10(1) & (5), 16(c)(i) & (ii), 17, 18, 21(3) and 22 of the “State of Osun Land use charge Law, 2016,” are not operable without appointing the Commissioner of Finance in Osun State.

Justice Afolabi threw out all the arguments by the State Attorney-General, Dr. Basiru Ajibola, who was the counsel for the governor and the state government and that of the Director of Legal Services, Mrs. Rachel Ojinni, as he granted all the seven prayers of the plaintiff.

Ajibola said the state government would appeal the verdict at the Court of Appeal

http://punchng.com/the-name-state-of-osun-is-illegal-court-declares/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by Lovetinz(m): 5:50pm On Dec 14, 2017
Appeal!?
It is glaringly clear that any appeal will fail.
The governor messed up big time.

1 Like

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by MikeBetty(m): 5:56pm On Dec 14, 2017
If Name Is The Problem Here, Let Me Help H. E Govnr Arigbe To Rename And Rebrand It To Be Known, Called And Addressed As "State Of Skull Miners" Lol

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by Movic1(m): 6:03pm On Dec 14, 2017
MikeBetty:
If Name Is The Problem Here, Let Me Help H. E Govnr Arigbe To Rename And Rebrand It To Be Known, Called And Addressed As "State Of Skull Miners" Lol

Not funny
Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by Melancholy(m): 6:33pm On Dec 14, 2017
Hmm... The battle between the bar and the bench, who is superior?

Our govt should please heed to the yearnings of people for the sake of democracy to seperate Ag from being an appointment post.

And last time i checked, Ag's decision on any matter in a state must be respected by the court, our constitution without giving room for a case like this.
Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 14, 2017
shocked

∆ ∆
Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by g0tze: 6:36pm On Dec 14, 2017
MikeBetty:
Hahahahaha.

2 Likes

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by Ezenwammadu(m): 7:02pm On Dec 14, 2017
MikeBetty:

At the entrance of the state “ Welcome to the state of osun, we are not responsible for the loss of your skull”

4 Likes

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by Nutase: 7:11pm On Dec 14, 2017
I told someone that this state of osun thingy was nonsense. Out of all the pressing issues in osun state the only thing ogbeni thought wise was to rename the state justifying it with the argument that in America states are referred to as such eg state of California etc. Are we Americans? Or do we speak American English?
Please someone should tell ogbeni that in Nigeria state is s 'suffix' not a 'prefix'.

6 Likes

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by OfficialAwol(m): 7:18pm On Dec 14, 2017
Another aberration of the #Recessionists corrected

One cold Hero for the fearless judge.

N'afam, n'ego ya! lol

2 Likes

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by okway2: 7:21pm On Dec 14, 2017
Ezenwammadu:

At the entrance of the state “ Welcome to the state of osun, we are not responsible for the loss of your skull”

MikeBetty:

I bet the Mods will move this to the front page regardless of these diabolical Tribalistic comments.

3 Likes

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by mankan2k7(m): 7:37pm On Dec 14, 2017
Kolomental governor. Ela oju kan

1 Like

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by muykem: 7:38pm On Dec 14, 2017
State of Osun will be appropriate in true federalism. I thought those who are shouting restructuring will support the governor on this.
Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 14, 2017
Useless APC government and illegalities...

Same in Lagos with the concept of LCDAs shocked

1 Like

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by Biggty(m): 8:35pm On Dec 14, 2017
MikeBetty:
You are so stupid for that comment, is it by force to comment? Or must you attach tribalism to any thing related to yoruba??

I know this will happen at one point in time, The state Government should not waste it time in appealing the judgment
Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by MikeBetty(m): 10:21pm On Dec 14, 2017
Biggty:
You are so stupid for that comment, is it by force to comment? Or must you attach tribalism to any thing related to yoruba??

I know this will happen at one point in time, The state Government should not waste it time in appealing the judgment
E Pain Am Wela

1 Like

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by Zanas: 11:30pm On Dec 14, 2017
State of OSUN.........

1 Like

Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by Biggty(m): 1:47am On Dec 15, 2017
MikeBetty:
E Pain Am Wela
Ode undecided undecided
Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by EASY39(m): 2:22am On Dec 15, 2017
[quote author=Nutase post=63285426]I told someone that this state of osun thingy was nonsense. Out of all the pressing issues in osun state the only thing ogbeni thought wise was to rename the state justifying it with the argument that in America states are referred to as such eg state of California etc. Are we Americans? Or do we speak American English?
Please someone should tell ogbeni that in Nigeria state is s 'suffix' not a 'prefix'.
G
Re: The Name ‘state Of Osun’ Is Illegal, Court Declares by ajbabs(m): 4:45am On Dec 15, 2017
Impunity of Ogbeni

(1) (Reply)

"2019 Election Is Payback Time For Buhari"! Osita Okechukwu, BON DG Thunders / Photos Of Soldier Killed During Boko Haram Ambush Yesterday In Yobe. / How APC Outsmated PDP.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.