Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

Nigeria Not Out Of Economic Recession - Kalu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Not Out Of Economic Recession - Kalu (416 Views)

Onne Port, River State New Hub Of Economic Activities / Afenifere Tackles Osinbajo: You Are A Pastor, Stop Lying; Nigeria Not Safe / Another Economic Recession May Be Imminent, Says FSDH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Not Out Of Economic Recession - Kalu by sirequity(m): 2:47pm On Dec 16, 2017
FORMER governor of Abia State, Orji Uzor Kalu has predicted that Nigeria will exit economic recession by december 2018.

Kalu stated this on Friday while speaking with journalists, during the funeral service held at the Cathedral of St Peter, Aremo, Ibadan, in honour of Chief James Babatunde, fellow of Nigerian Institute of Town Planners. The deceased was aged 79 when he passed on.

Kalu, a successful international businessman, noted that the country is still in economic recession.

His position differs from that of President Muhammadu Buhari who on several occassions acknowledged that the country has exited recession.

Buhari had confirmed that Nigeria was out of recession months ago when received President Mahamadou Issoufou of Niger republic in Daura, Katsina State.

“Nigeria is finally out of economic recession,” he was quoted by the News Agency of Nigeria to have said.

The Nigerian leader restated his position on the economy on Tuesday when he attended the One Planet Summit in Paris, France.

Reacting, Kalu opined, “I don’t even think we have exited recession. I beg to disagree with any economist or anybody who put that in place. I believe honestly that we are still in recession. I have told many television houses and newspaper houses that we might exit recession by December 2018. The capability of recovery is being put in place and I can assure you that we are recovering. We have not fully recovered and I am sure we will recover by December 2018.

“So, anybody judging Buhari on recession now is making a mistake. There are a lot of jobs that they are putting in place and yes, some economists who might be in a hurry can say we have exited, but in the real course of economic dynamics, we have not exited. If you still check the capacity utilisation, it is very poor; goods in warehouses are still stocked up.

“The greatest problem we had was the devaluation of naira. Many people lost their capital; many businessmen, traders, manufacturing houses, lost their capital. So, it will take two to three years for them to recover and that is where we are going. Even, the World Bank agrees with my theory that this recession will be exited in December 2018.”

The two-term former governor restated his support for the president saying “He is a popular man. Let’s assume he came in with 12 million votes, and let’s say 1.5million are gone, he still has 10.5million behind him.

Kalu believes Buhari will take Nigeria to the Promised Land, and urged all Nigerians across religious, ethnic and political divides to support him for greater success.

“We are heading to the Promised Land. Buhari is leading us to the Promised Land, but people don’t understand. There are two types of components that make democratic process – the hardware and the software. The hardware is what you see, such as road construction and reconstruction. The software is obedience to rule of law, accessibility to people’s mind, obedience to court order, making sure that court of competent jurisdiction’s orders are respected, and making sure that everything done in the law is totally agreeable.

“Our problem in Nigeria is very simple. People are not obeying traffic lights. Big people don’t want to obey simple rule; ‘do not cross this line’, this is the problem the country has. This is what Buhari is saying, that, ‘no, you cannot do without due process.’

“Buhari is trying to say to Nigerian people that, ‘yes I might be slow, but we have to go through process which is internationally acceptable’. So, we are on course. Things have been very difficult, I agree. But my grandmother used to tell me that when a tailor gets a brand new cloth, he has to first cut it into pieces, then make it into a very fine dress. That is where we are today. Everybody must be crying, we’ll get it (the nation) back on course,” he said.

http://headline.com.ng/kalu-disagrees-buhari-nigeria-exiting-economic-recession/
Re: Nigeria Not Out Of Economic Recession - Kalu by Fweshspice(m): 2:51pm On Dec 16, 2017
You dnt need to tell us, We KNOW! Only G-Boys and Polithiefians would Think otherwise
Re: Nigeria Not Out Of Economic Recession - Kalu by emmie14: 2:52pm On Dec 16, 2017
Orji Kalu respect yourself. Why painting face black. Are you okay?
Re: Nigeria Not Out Of Economic Recession - Kalu by sirequity(m): 2:52pm On Dec 16, 2017
grin
Re: Nigeria Not Out Of Economic Recession - Kalu by uzohrome(m): 2:58pm On Dec 16, 2017
Good one from Kanu, but how can you compare buhari with software and hardware. Well, we all know the cloning expert which Is more of hardware adjustment. All the same I still prefare buhari in person at all times. God bless our presido
Re: Nigeria Not Out Of Economic Recession - Kalu by okosodo: 3:07pm On Dec 16, 2017
Na you wan tell us?
Re: Nigeria Not Out Of Economic Recession - Kalu by chomchom1(f): 3:12pm On Dec 16, 2017
Apc board members are regaining their senses gradually we shall be there
Re: Nigeria Not Out Of Economic Recession - Kalu by odogwubiafra: 3:53pm On Dec 16, 2017
"he has to first cut it into pieces"
This is where the problem is. You cut the cloth into PATTERNS and not pieces. This incompetent govt has cut us into pieces by way of Nepotism, Tribalism, Favouritism etc and they are finding it difficult to integrate us again.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians In Diaspora Endorsed Ahmed Buhari For President 2019 / Defections Will Make APC Empty Before 2019 – PDP / Yoruba Ipob And Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.