Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,812 members, 7,802,615 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

How Do I Deal With My Landlord? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Deal With My Landlord? (17603 Views)

My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue / My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by dabigbangishere: 6:25pm On Dec 17, 2017
most people on this forum as saying what they don't understand. even though the landlord is devilish, never put it at the back of your that you will use free rent. you might be lucky if you have a strong case but the court will still tell you to pay all you owe. if you not satisfied, instead of disturbing your peace, leave the house or get a lawyer to write your lawyer but according to what I've seen, the landlord is smellos and that is where he base his livelihood - so you will Always have a problem with him. look for more conducive environment and enjoy your life.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 17, 2017
Thank you dad for dashing me this wonderful apartment, at least I can build my own house in peace instead of renting.
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Buffalo2(m): 7:09pm On Dec 17, 2017
Get a lawyer and deal with him. 90% of them are cowards buh they are always quick to threaten with court nonsense.
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Zenithpeak(m): 7:11pm On Dec 17, 2017
It is audible to the deaf and vivid to the blind that it can not end well.

Some people are just unmanageable..... You landlord is a practical example.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by armadeo(m): 7:18pm On Dec 17, 2017
CHESTER48:
Oga, better don't listed to all this people saying u have 6 more months oo. Don't even try it.... You cannot stay in some1 house and not pay. It is never done. You must pay the once you've stayed. If you decide to owe him more than 6 months he may decide to use police. Or use his lawyer. They will give you quit notice. And he may not post it on your door and claimed they gave it to you. And they will invite you to court and you will miss it. And the judge will other the believe to take your goods to the court untill you pay all, or they will sale your property right there in the court. I'm a landlord don't try nonsense ooo

Lol. I have been laughing since at the you have six no the crew. Thank God someone who knows has spoken up.

Ok if you stay in that house one day after your rent expires and start dragging in court you will pay till the day you leave.
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by sweettease(f): 7:48pm On Dec 17, 2017
CHESTER48:
Oga, madam. If you xdrag it to court,
it may take months B4 the case is settled. But once it is settled he must pay the difference. Cause he was living in the house. And he didn't pack out or something. As long as he lives he will pay the difference for the months he spent. Simple. Better ask ur lawyer wella
but there's no threat to throw him out just like that and whatever time he is given to move out after the case is concluded, he doesn't pay that period. And that's why I started with looking for a new place. If he gets a place sooner, better for him.
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Andy2274: 7:53pm On Dec 17, 2017
CHESTER48:
Oga, better don't listed to all this people saying u have 6 more months oo. Don't even try it.... You cannot stay in some1 house and not pay. It is never done. You must pay the once you've stayed. If you decide to owe him more than 6 months he may decide to use police. Or use his lawyer. They will give you quit notice. And he may not post it on your door and claimed they gave it to you. And they will invite you to court and you will miss it. And the judge will other the believe to take your goods to the court untill you pay all, or they will sale your property right there in the court. I'm a landlord don't try nonsense ooo

. You are a landlord abi? Is that why someone will be paying damage every year? Is that the right thing to do? The simple truth is that some of you landlord is heartless. Same happening to me now. I just parked to the place so as to be close to my site but I am regretting it now. Before I came the man sounded good and friendly but after I parked in, I realised him and his wife are evil. They said we should not greet or relate with our neighbour who I later discovered is from the same state with me. He refused to show us phcn bill. He tell you how you pay without you seeing the bill which was not the agreement. Phcn brought bill recently and he was not around and they have transferred the phcn staff he work hand-in-hand with, I discovered that the bill is #3000 and this man collects #1850 each from me and my neighbour and he didn't even pay the bill for 3months. Last time him and his wife came to my apartment to fight my neighbour's son
is that right? So many dirty things that they do. Calling my neighbour's son a bastard because he is a landlord abi? For the fact that you are a landlord does not mean you should intimidate your tenants. They work to pay the rent as well. Pay 20k for damage every year for what and you are here saying he should not try what

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by ak22(m): 9:03pm On Dec 17, 2017
Dicksonpal:
Good morning nairaland
Please, this is not a counter thread to yesterday's....

I stay in a self con, just because I felt like I needed to be a man of own and not stay in my fathers house any longer. So I got this house last year December, all packages was paid for including damages and likes. I was told light was stable, water runs into the house, pump fully working and other amenities.

Fast forward to after I moved in, non of this was working, for a whole year it was a low current, I fetch water from the well, in fact nothing was working. After four months in the house I noticed the land lord was living close by, this got to me cause I never wanted a monitoring sprit as a landlord. The man is so naive and wicked, he creates problem with his tenants so he can them out after a year for refreshed packages. Anytime he wants to try that with me am always calm,so he doesn't have a reason to misbehave.

After 6 months of no light he brought the bill and asked us to pay, I was reluctant cus I felt at least we should pay half the money since there had been no light. The next thing was to cut all light entering each rooms, promising reconnectection after payment. I made the payment cause 6k is not the problem.

With all these observations I called the agent and told him I hope he won't give me too quit notice after a year, the same way he does to others, he told me blatantly that "shey be e se landlord ( u dint offend him na"wink. I was like so quit notice is the reward for annoying the landlord. I was like no shaking, I go show una.

Just a month ago the light was fully repaired, not very high current, but at least TV is working and fan.

My rent is due, i was asked to pay the new rent, wanted to wire the money when the agent called me and told me I was to pay extra 20k for damages, I was like, what the flying Bleep!!!, does one pay damages twice, I told him he should point out what I damaged, he said that's how the landlord wants his own... I felt bad and betrayed, used and dumped. After a whole year of running on generating set. This is a movement driving towards very obvious quit notice. Of which me sef no be butter but I like respecting people.

Dear nairalanders, how do you guys think I can go about it, 20k makes a difference in the economy oo.

Lalasticl.ala, help me ask well meaning Nigerians

If you are a working class begin to save to build your own house. That is the solution and God will help you .
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by rasjam(m): 9:09pm On Dec 17, 2017
[color=#000099][/color]Isn't the landlord fort, maybe is the house rent is using to feed the family that is why is acting like that, my advice is pay the money and look for another house to avoid the same wahala next year.
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by critic9ja: 9:22pm On Dec 17, 2017
sweettease:
Why do you want to continue in fear of the known and unknown? Start looking for a new place, let him take you to court and give you a quit notice then let the court case drag for months before the eventually verdict that will give you extra 6-12 months without rent to move out. The sweetest part is that you are not obligated to pay a penny while the whole process is ongoing. Free housing for you for like a year(give or take). That will teach him to respect his tenants. Your name Dicksonpal is strange sha cheesy
u re sighted. Ur package is tyt. can I sweettease you?
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Buchi19: 9:55pm On Dec 17, 2017
one sided story.
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Dec 17, 2017
I've been following the comments here it's been interesting so far. I'm also a young landlord (inherited from my late parents) I got tenants who have refused to vacate the property they occupy since their rents expired in May 2016 (almost two yrs now). I've followed due process, given them 6 months even to look for a new place and even gave them the advantage of not charging for the extra months they've stayed, that's how generous I've been with these people yet they chose to be wicked to me. I've been in court with them since Feb 2017 but our messed up judicial system is just too slow in delivering judgement and keeps adjourning the matter for reasons I cannot even explain. Now y'all tell me. Are some tenants not wicked? I think that's why many landlords become very tough cuz of what they've been through. OP just look for a new place, save yourself some stress. Be comfortable, be happy. Be smart. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by sirxbit(m): 11:29pm On Dec 17, 2017
oxiide22:
Oga go back and manage in ur father's house. buy a piece of land and build ur own buganlow shikenan!
People like una Nai go dey papa house reach 50years
Na teeth them take dey buy land build house Abi?
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by greggng: 1:48am On Dec 18, 2017
Until one of you match him force by force he won't respect himself .if you are sure you paid that caution with receipt as evidence, kindly approach your lawyer and table your case or visit the mediation centres at alausa and table your case they will invite your landlord for settlement. Leave him to issue is quit notice if ur lawyer is experienced he will regret doing that cos thst matter will face several adjoinment till he dies. If nobody teaches him a lesson he will assume is a way of life

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by ceasare: 4:13am On Dec 18, 2017
sweettease:
Why do you want to continue in fear of the known and unknown? Start looking for a new place, let him take you to court and give you a quit notice then let the court case drag for months before the eventually verdict that will give you extra 6-12 months without rent to move out.[b][/b] The sweetest part is that you are not obligated to pay a penny while the whole process is ongoing. Free housing for you for like a year(give or take). That will teach him to respect his tenants. Your name Dicksonpal is strange sha cheesy

Don't get it twisted their is no where in Lagos state rent laws that says u r entitled to free housing for a year because of quit notice.u r entitled to pay even if u r going to court.most landlords just forgo it so u can leave on time but most people abuse it a lot...be guided pls!

OP if u r not ok with the arrangement just use ur rent out n move on....
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by oxiide22(m): 6:58am On Dec 18, 2017
shut up! the op is doing well in his business...i mean little by little he can buy land and build

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by NokiaN8(m): 7:08am On Dec 18, 2017
Don't shake as a civilian... u are a man
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Miniano: 7:40am On Dec 18, 2017
sweettease:
Why do you want to continue in fear of the known and unknown? Start looking for a new place, let him take you to court and give you a quit notice then let the court case drag for months before the eventually verdict that will give you extra 6-12 months without rent to move out. The sweetest part is that you are not obligated to pay a penny while the whole process is ongoing. Free housing for you for like a year(give or take). That will teach him to respect his tenants. Your name Dicksonpal is strange sha cheesy

I am. Not a wicked landlord but bros if someone stays in your father's house without paying dome how would u feel u come here opening your mouth � 12 month u can't even try that with me u no go. Know how u go pack ur load when u start seing me. In your dreams
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Miniano: 7:41am On Dec 18, 2017
meezynetwork:
Send me his details to deal with him. But first destroy the damn place b4 parking out. Disconnect all the lamp holders, crack the water closet, destroy the taps and sink. Destroy all the wall sockets and ruin all the wall paint.

Same will be done to u when you build ur own hus
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Miniano: 7:44am On Dec 18, 2017
[quote author=mojisolani post=63368931]If you are in lagos mainland pls go to mediation centre at motorway ikeja. Na government approved and na to checkmate landlord and tenant Wey get witch for head. If your landlord see letter from government he go know say you sabi your right[/quote

U carry person go government hus Because of him property

Chai poverty saw Agbada for u...

Go and build ur own

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Fweezy(m): 8:22am On Dec 18, 2017
This is a result of several mistakes made at the initial stage for which you are paying the price for it right now.
1. You were too hasty to leave your parents house and your impatience led you tell the agent to get a self con at a cheap price for you as a matter of urgency when your parents never tried to evict you at short notice. The agent in turn took advantage of your desperation and sold you quickly to that fool of a landlord whose crib you rented without thinking twice.
2. You failed to carry out due diligence and swallowed the lies told to u by the agent hook, line and sinker that the house and accessories/services were ok. (This jonsing on your part is allowed since its your first time hehehe!) You should have asked questions from neighbors and people living in the street about the light, the water, the house and even the landlord himself. If the landlord treats other tenants badly or is generally a bad person people who know will gladly tell you and warn you ahead of time.
3. You let your pride get the better part of you by thinking " because I felt like I needed to be a man of own and not stay in my fathers house any longer". Being a man is not all about talk and feeling alone. You felt because you had some good money and could afford to buy and fuel your own gen set that you were prepared for everything coming your way? You have to do some real deep thinking and planning for unforseen circumstances such as the one you are facing just now. Did you consult with anybody having similar experience before seeking to rent your own place? Have you thought about getting a lawyer and being able to pay legal fees in the event that this becomes a legal battle you must see through till the end?
This is only just the beginning. You are young and still have much to learn so let me tell you how dis is going to end. You are gonna pack out by yourself after 3 years of frustration , insults and harassment. 20k is just the beginning of your problems. You have been scammed jointly by the agent and landlord and will not be getting your money back after paying for damages you were never responsible for. That's just about it bro.
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 18, 2017
Andy2274:
. You are a landlord abi? Is that why someone will be paying damage every year? Is that the right thing to do? The simple truth is that some of you landlord is heartless. Same happening to me now. I just parked to the place so as to be close to my site but I am regretting it now. Before I came the man sounded good and friendly but after I parked in, I realised him and his wife are evil. They said we should not greet or relate with our neighbour who I later discovered is from the same state with me. He refused to show us phcn bill. He tell you how you pay without you seeing the bill which was not the agreement. Phcn brought bill recently and he was not around and they have transferred the phcn staff he work hand-in-hand with, I discovered that the bill is #3000 and this man collects #1850 each from me and my neighbour and he didn't even pay the bill for 3months. Last time him and his wife came to my apartment to fight my neighbour's son
is that right? So many dirty things that they do. Calling my neighbour's son a bastard because he is a landlord abi? For the fact that you are a landlord does not mean you should intimidate your tenants. They work to pay the rent as well. Pay 20k for damage every year for what and you are here saying he should not try what
I don't understand your anger.
Am I the one who told him to pay me 20k damage or what. See me oo. Omo carry your frustration somewhere else biko. I'm giving him an advice simple. And for ur info I'm a young man not old. Am not upto 25 sef. Okay. So I don't wicked my niqqa. Oya don't quote me again
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 18, 2017
sweettease:
but there's no threat to throw him out just like that and whatever time he is given to move out after the case is concluded, he doesn't pay that period. And that's why I started with looking for a new place. If he gets a place sooner, better for him.
who told you that one? See even if he stays a month. Unless the landlord decided not to collect money from him oo.
Lemme make u understand, it not your right to tell the landlord to give u 1 month quit notice. He can decide to serve u a month quit notice B4 ur rent expires. And that q month will be immediately ur rent expires then. If u decide to stay 2 weeks or 1.u pay. Or he can use the court to throw u out
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Andy2274: 12:06pm On Dec 18, 2017
CHESTER48:
I don't understand your anger.
Am I the one who told him to pay me 20k damage or what. See me oo. Omo carry your frustration somewhere else biko. I'm giving him an advice simple. And for ur info I'm a young man not old. Am not upto 25 sef. Okay. So I don't wicked my niqqa. Oya don't quote me again
. Shut up your mouth. Who is frustrated and what kind of advice did you gave to him? Because you inherited your late father's house and became premature landlord that is making you talk anyhow. I also inherited a house and I have built my own too. I work and get paid very well. So I am not a broke man. Not all tenants are broke. Like I said earlier, I parked to the place to enable me finish my house to my taste with the latest design I want. If I want to park to my house today I will do without stress. Go and work and build your own house not bragging on inherited property. 25yrs that have never step out of his father's house and does not know what life is.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Dec 18, 2017
Andy2274:
. Shut up your mouth. Who is frustrated and what kind of advice did you gave to him? Because you inherited your late father's house and became premature landlord that is making you talk anyhow. I also inherited a house and I have built my own too. I work and get paid very well. So I am not a broke man. Not all tenants are broke. Like I said earlier, I parked to the place to enable me finish my house to my taste with the latest design I want. If I want to park to my house today I will do without stress. Go and work and build your own house not bragging on inherited property. 25yrs that have never step out of his father's house and does not know what life is.
Mumu. Haha.
My father is not dead. U must be pained I inherited property when my dad is still alive. It means he is rich that I even have a property. If u want work from now till 100 years. I will feed u with my father's wealth. I know Ur dad is dead from Ur post. Eyaa. He left small amount of property for you. Hahaha. You are just angry that your parents where not rich and didn't leave meaningful things for. You. Lol. Go check my post and see where I said I have 3 shops. Guess what? Now I have 5.oya kill yourself. All the shops are my dad's and now it's mine. Lol. Did ur dad build a single shop through out his life. Mumu. U started it. Like I said carry ur frustration somewhere. Don't compete with me. U that have packed out what have u achieved. I doubt u live in a 3 room. My dad built 7 rooms self con for me fool. And I'm proud of him.and I'm just 22.not 25.
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Andy2274: 9:02pm On Dec 18, 2017
CHESTER48:
Mumu. Haha.
My father is not dead. U must be pained I inherited property when my dad is still alive. It means he is rich that I even have a property. If u want work from now till 100 years. I will feed u with my father's wealth. I know Ur dad is dead from Ur post. Eyaa. He left small amount of property for you. Hahaha. You are just angry that your parents where not rich and didn't leave meaningful things for. You. Lol. Go check my post and see where I said I have 3 shops. Guess what? Now I have 5.oya kill yourself. All the shops are my dad's and now it's mine. Lol. Did ur dad build a single shop through out his life. Mumu. U started it. Like I said carry ur frustration somewhere. Don't compete with me. U that have packed out what have u achieved. I doubt u live in a 3 room. My dad built 7 rooms self con for me fool. And I'm proud of him.and I'm just 22.not 25.
. Hmmmmmmmm! 22yrs? Proud of inherited 5 shops? 7 room self contain? I thought I was talking to a reasonable person.

Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 18, 2017
Andy2274:
. Hmmmmmmmm! 22yrs? Proud of inherited 5 shops? 7 room self contain? I thought I was talking to a reasonable person.
and I thought I was talking to some who has achieved something in life. You're just a fool. Mumu human being. I'm making cool cash. I have biz I'm doing. I own my shops I don't pay rent. I live in my house built for me. Which is officially mine cause I have the c of o. I doubt ur father achieved this.. Or u as a person. U better apply for n-power and be getting small money than staying here useless and making noise on nairaland. At my age u can't boast of 20k.quote me again fool
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Dicksonpal: 2:10am On Dec 19, 2017
ceasare:

Don't get it twisted their is no where in Lagos state rent laws that says u r entitled to free housing for a year because of quit notice.u r entitled to pay even if u r going to court.most landlords just forgo it so u can leave on time but most people abuse it a lot...be guided pls!

OP if u r not ok with the arrangement just use ur rent out n move on....
am not OK with the arrangement, would have moved out with ease anyways but, it's becoming too much of my landlord, oppressing young guys cus they are able to put stuffs on the table themselves....
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Dicksonpal: 2:16am On Dec 19, 2017
Fweezy:
This is a result of several mistakes made at the initial stage for which you are paying the price for it right now.
1. You were too hasty to leave your parents house and your impatience led you tell the agent to get a self con at a cheap price for you as a matter of urgency when your parents never tried to evict you at short notice. The agent in turn took advantage of your desperation and sold you quickly to that fool of a landlord whose crib you rented without thinking twice.
2. You failed to carry out due diligence and swallowed the lies told to u by the agent hook, line and sinker that the house and accessories/services were ok. (This jonsing on your part is allowed since its your first time hehehe!) You should have asked questions from neighbors and people living in the street about the light, the water, the house and even the landlord himself. If the landlord treats other tenants badly or is generally a bad person people who know will gladly tell you and warn you ahead of time.
3. You let your pride get the better part of you by thinking " because I felt like I needed to be a man of own and not stay in my fathers house any longer". Being a man is not all about talk and feeling alone. You felt because you had some good money and could afford to buy and fuel your own gen set that you were prepared for everything coming your way? You have to do some real deep thinking and planning for unforseen circumstances such as the one you are facing just now. Did you consult with anybody having similar experience before seeking to rent your own place? Have you thought about getting a lawyer and being able to pay legal fees in the event that this becomes a legal battle you must see through till the end?
This is only just the beginning. You are young and still have much to learn so let me tell you how dis is going to end. You are gonna pack out by yourself after 3 years of frustration , insults and harassment. 20k is just the beginning of your problems. You have been scammed jointly by the agent and landlord and will not be getting your money back after paying for damages you were never responsible for. That's just about it bro.
thnks for the advice, will make use of it sooner or later...
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Dicksonpal: 2:20am On Dec 19, 2017
LaaJiblik:
Did you sign any agreement/contract while you were moving in?
obviously not.. Good morning
Re: How Do I Deal With My Landlord? by Dicksonpal: 2:27am On Dec 19, 2017
Lomprico2:

Op is not ripe to stay on his own, he should move back in with his parent. angry
This his story just dey vex me. angry
abeg wetin dey vex u Der Na......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure / Resident Expresses Concern As Work Continues On A Partially Collapsed Building / Budget Roofing and Finishes of a Nairalanders 2units of 3 bedroom flat.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.