Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,880 members, 7,798,945 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? (27185 Views)

Daddy Freeze Is A Liar, Tithing Is Very Scriptural And Was Approved By Jesus / Help Needed Concerning Restitution / Don't Be Deceived, Sex Is Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by Shafiiimran99: 11:08am On Jan 22, 2018
bedspread:
Keep Decieving yourself
Ok, no prob
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by Greatzeus(m): 11:15am On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:

thank sir
My guy my guy grin this is the reply you have been waiting for all this while,an answer that will suit your already made up mind. I understand bro,I'm like that sometimes too grin
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by webngnews: 11:17am On Jan 22, 2018
None
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by Fawklicant: 11:18am On Jan 22, 2018
Greyman11:

Well said brother. Permit me to mention that the concept of marriage by God and Jesus about a man leaving his father and mother and joining with his wife and the two becoming one was a product of the law (Gen 2:24) and if christ Jesus came to fulfil the law, why are u people now defining marriage with family concept, it is still the union of a man and his wife (2 people) they are not asking u about his family, if after consent and approval of parents which is the way of the people of God from old, then u cannot tell a converted man to forfeit anyone of his wives because he married then and they are not his concubines, so u are invariably telling the man to commit sin of negligence, second of all who will marry a divorcee with Children with that concept of until they re-marry cos from what I see, this is just a formal way of telling him to keep them as concubines (post marital affairs).. So that analogy is still wrong and cannot be backed up anywhere in the bible. Stay blessed my brother..

We are on the same side of the debate bro. My issue with your post is the wedding part which I addressed, other than that I don't have any issue with your arguments.
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by teemy(m): 11:25am On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:
Please, I want to know because it is practised in many Pentecostal churches. If you marry two or more wives before you got born again, you have to leave one and live with just one. this act of forsaking is known as restitution. I really want to know if this is scriptural.

2 Samuel 12:8
I also gave you your master's house and your master's wives into your care, and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added to you many more things like these!

9'Why have you despised the word of the LORD by doing evil in His sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword, have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the sons of Ammon.…

Personally apart from bishopric regulations, I see polygamy as a system gone out of fashion. I also have not seen a restitution quote on polygamy from the bible. Here feom the above quote, God is making claim to giving king david an inheritance of wives and also claiming to be able to be able to give him more without him having had to steal Bathsheba from her husband.
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 22, 2018
Pierohandsome:
they were never regarded as wives in the first place. The one recognized as wife is the first one u Married, the other 2 u married after are not wives by scriptures so they are free to re-marry. It is the first wife that is regarded by God as a wife and she cannot re-marry
WHats your evidence in the scripture
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by TheNazarene: 11:56am On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:

so wht are they sir are u saying Rachael was nt a wife of jacob
I dont understand pls

I am not saying Rachael wasn't a wife ooo but if you look at the genealogy of Jesus in the Bible with the exception of David (due to certain reasons), every person God used was the result of the union between their father and the first wife...So the first wife is legitimate and the others illegitimate
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by Makuos: 11:58am On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:

my brother, dont quote out of context. read the whole chapter to understand that portion or u read from verse 16. I will not explain it cus I want u to read and comprehend.

I'm not in anyway advocating for a Christian to marry more than one wife but if u av done it bfr being born again, there is no such law in the new testament to send ur wife away. david after repenting from his sin bible called Bathsheba His wife and she was even the mother of Solomon. Paul said u can't be a bishop if u hav more than one. that statement alone showef that dere are Christians that are with more than one wife. he didn't say they should put them away but they can't be ordained as bishop.
God said he hates putting away, so why should twist bible to win an argument??

Ignorance!!! So did Paul the apostle mention the Christians that are with more than one wife Paul also said a Bishop should not be convetous That means u are trying to say there are Christians that are free to be convetous abii
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by TheNazarene: 12:25pm On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:

Jesus quoted from the old testament here sir. and u just said it was permitted on old testament on ur initial post. so wht is the correlation??

it sims u dont understand the question. is there scriptural basis for marriage restitution that is, after marriage.
I'm am not asking for marriage process.(before)

First we need to understand basics...
What is Restitution?
According to Google, there are two definitions
1. the restoration of something lost or stolen to its [b]proper
owner.
2. recompense for injury or loss[/b]

And according to the Bible, we are permitted to 'own' or preferably have one wife. It then means God gives a man 'rights' to only a woman, therefore when you go ahead to take another woman as a wife, you actually don't own that woman, you don't have any proper rights over her, you only have forced rights over her.
And something you don't have proper rights over is actually not yours, it is stolen
So if restitution is a Biblical necessity and if we are to go by the first definition of restitution according to Google, it means we have to restore any woman we don't have proper rights to, to is proper owner.
But we don't know who God ordained to be the proper owner of these women, so the man actually separates them (other women and their children) from him and his first wife and her children and, according to the second definition of restitution by Google) [i]recompense for injury or loss caused by the man to the woman/women by being responsible for their upkeep till a man approved by you to be able to take care of them comes along.

You may ask why should you be responsible for her real marriage?
well when a man marries a woman, he becomes not only a husband but a father to her (among other responsibilities if there are), so although you can't be a husband to more than a wife, you can be a father to people cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by lonikit: 12:29pm On Jan 22, 2018
asuustrike2009:

I never supported putting away. If you become born again you can't put away away the wives you had married. It will be unfair to do such but if you were born again and you got married to a second wife then it is an issue. Hence you have to restitute

owk, I got ur point my bro. we hold same view
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:

owk, I got ur point my bro. we hold same view
Yea
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by Softhands(m): 12:47pm On Jan 22, 2018
My guy, if truly you have given your life to Christ and your conscience pricks you hard enough to separate from those women that have had kids for you... Here is what you should do... Put things in order to make those other women comfortable and go back to the very first woman.... Don't be looking for conviction up and down like a toddler.
PSTEMMA1960:
all i want is 4 u to tell me where in the bible that God said that if u have married 2 or more wives u should send one away after u have giving ur life to christ..

read 1timothy 3vs 2.. the only thing the bible said that some post should nt be given to them in the church..
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by lonikit: 12:48pm On Jan 22, 2018
Greatzeus:

My guy my guy grin this is the reply you have been waiting for all this while,an answer that will suit your already made up mind. I understand bro,I'm like that sometimes too grin

no sir. I need a scriptural backing. this doctrine is so common and I tink we shud not just be follower church doctrines that are not found in the bible.

restitution as defined by dictionary is a restoration of wht was lost. how wil u put a wife u married legally away bcus u got born again thereby creating another prob for ursev and chuldren
wil u be in peace with such father who put away ur mother and keep anther woman cus he got born again and andthis doctrine is not found in the bible and Bible says we shud live peacefully with all men. now tell me, where is the peace in dat family

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by shumuel(m): 1:02pm On Jan 22, 2018
gaskiyamagana:
Another single will carry them for first wife, shikena.

Lol grin is that not Adultry ?
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by okewumi: 1:45pm On Jan 22, 2018
#Copy and Paste

HOLY POLYGAMY: MEN OF THE
BIBLE WITH MULTIPLE WIVES

May 3, 12009

When you think of polygamy, what do you think of? The Mormons? Islam or
Muhammad? Maybe you think of Big Love or the Yearning for Zion Ranch?
If you are a Christian, though, I want to give you something else to think of when the
subject of polygamy comes up. You see, a Christian’s mind shouldn’t instinctively be
drawn to the world, other faiths, or entertainment.
Instead, the Christian’s thoughts should gravitate to the Scriptures, to those men
throughout the history of Judeo-christianity who lived out their lives with multiple wives,
some with two or three, others with wives numbering in the hundreds.
I want to introduce you to these men.
For simplicity, I’ll present this list alphabetically. Also, I will from now on be referring to
these men with the more specific term polygynist. Polygyny is the practice of one man
having multiple wives; it is a type of polygamy.
ABDON
And after him Abdon the son of Hillel, a Pirathonite, judged Israel.  14 And he had forty
sons and thirty nephews, that rode on threescore and ten ass colts: and he judged
Israel eight years.
Judges 12:13–14, King James Version
Alphabetically, we start our list with a man, Abdon, who isn’t explicitly said to be a
polygynist. However, due to the large number of children he is said to have had, it is
possible that multiple wives bore these children to him. If that is a correct assumption,
then it is also worth noting that no negative remarks regarding Abdon’s relationships are
made.
ABIJAH
But Abijah waxed mighty, and married fourteen wives, and begat twenty and two sons,
and sixteen daughters.
2 Chronicles 13:21, King James Version
You should read the rest of chapter thirteen to get the full picture of Abijah; when you
do, you’ll come away with the distinct impression that God was on his side.
You’ll find out that while Abijah was ruling over the kingdom of Judah, Jeroboam and
the kingdom of Israel rose up against them. Jeroboam and his men stood under the

careful, watchful protection of their golden calves and idols; Abijah and his men rose up
under the watch, care, and protection of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
And what happened? “…God smote Jeroboam and all Israel before Abijah and
Judah” (v. 15).
Despite all that we’re told about Abijah, it is telling that we’re never given a hint of
disapproval regarding his having multiple wives.
ABRAM / ABRAHAM
Now Sarai Abram’s wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian,
whose name was Hagar.  2 And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the Lord hath
restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain
children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.  3 And Sarai Abram’s wife
took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of
Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.
Genesis 16:1–3, King James Version
Then again Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah.
Genesis 25:1, King James Version
The ESV Study Bible says of Genesis 16:3, “While the OT records occasions when
particular individuals have more than one wife, such instances are almost always
fraught with complications and difficulty. The taking of multiple wives is never
encouraged in the Bible and usually arises out of peculiar circumstances.”
I wonder if the authors of that note have paid much attention to marriage in general:
even monogamy is “almost always fraught with complications and difficulty.” That’s just
the nature of human relationships!
Did any of those polygamist unions found in the Scriptures end in divorce? What about
today’s monogamous marriages? I’m willing to bet that monogamous societies have
a much higher rate of divorce than do polygynous ones. Why that would be, I cannot
say for certain.
In any event, Abraham had at least three wives — two of which for certain were
concurrent. An additional curiosity of this family was that Abraham’s taking of a second
wife the idea of Sarai, his first wife.
That is a curiosity because it shows a great lack of self-centeredness on the part of
Sarai; she knew the promise that Abraham would have children despite his age, and
feeling as though the promise could not be fulfilled in her, she arranged for her own
servant to be Abraham’s second wife, so that the promise could be fulfilled through her.
The study Bible notes that polygamy is never encouraged; notice here, though, that the
angel of the Lord intervenes to mend the relationship between Hagar and Sarai but in

no way expresses any sort of disapproval at the polygynous unions between Abraham
and the two women (vv. 9–12)!
AHAB
And Ben-hadad the king of Syria gathered all his host together: and there were thirty
and two kings with him, and horses, and chariots: and he went up and besieged
Samaria, and warred against it.  2 And he sent messengers to Ahab king of Israel into the
city, and said unto him, Thus saith Ben-hadad,  3 Thy silver and thy gold is mine; thy
wives also and thy children, even the goodliest, are mine.
1 Kings 20:1–3, King James Version
We aren’t given details regarding these marriages, just that they exist: Ahab, king of
Israel, had multiple wives, and a disapproving word from the prophets or God himself
cannot be found.
AHASUERUS
Also Vashti the queen made a feast for the women in the royal house which belonged to
king Ahasuerus.
Esther 1:9, King James Version
Ahasuerus’ situation, like Abdon‘s, is a bit speculative. Were all the women wives of
Ahasuerus? Or were they handmaidens of the king? Or concubines?
In any event, we know that Ahasuerus was married to Vashti, and that later, she would
lose her royal position to Esther (ch. 2). Were both women concurrent wives of
Ahasuerus?
Whatever the situation, at the very least we can be certain that no disapproving words
regarding polygynous marriages are spoken by God or his prophets in this situation.
ASHUR
And Ashur the father of Tekoa had two wives, Helah and Naarah.
1 Chronicles 4:5, King James Version
Appearing in a much longer list of the descendants of Judah, we are told simply that
Ashur had two wives. No disapproval. No stated need for repentance.
BELSHAZZAR
Belshazzar, while he tasted the wine, commanded to bring the golden and silver vessels
which his father Nebuchadnezzar had taken out of the temple which was in Jerusalem;
that the king, and his princes, his wives, and his concubines, might drink therein.

Daniel 5:2, King James Version
I admit that Belshazzar isn’t the best possible example, but he is a “biblical polygynist”
nonetheless.
We are told of his drunkenness, of his idolatry — things which elsewhere are revealed
to be against the Law of God.
That Belshazzar had multiple wives, though? That was a common practice among many
cultures, just as it is today, and there is no sign that the practice of polygyny violated the
law of God, nor is it within the context of this passage that his having multiple wives was
in any way problematic to God.
BEN-HADAD
We can infer that when Ben-hadad would take Ahab‘s wives, he would take them to
be his ownwives.
CALEB
And Caleb the son of Hezron begat children of Azubah his wife, and of Jerioth: her
sons arethese; Jesher, and Shobab, and Ardon.  19 And when Azubah was dad, Caleb
took unto him Ephrath, which bare him Hur.
1 Chronicles 2:18–19, King James Version
And Ephah, Caleb’s concubine, bare Haran, and Moza, and Gazez: and Haran begat
Gazez.
1 Chronicles 2:46, King James Version
Maachah, Caleb’s concubine, bare Sheber, and Tirhanah.
1 Chronicles 2:48, King James Version
Caleb had at least two concurrent wives plus some concubines, and there is no sign
that this wasn’t a normal, expected family structure.
The study Bible notes mentioned above said that polygyny was never encouraged; how
is portraying something as perfectly normal not at least implied encouragement?
DAVID
Wherefore David arose and went, he and his men, and slew of the Philistines two
hundred men; and David brought their foreskins and they gave them in full tale to the
king, that he might be the king’s son in law. And Saul gave him Michal his daughter to
wife.
1 Samuel 18:27, King James Version

And when David heard that Nabal was dead, he said, Blessed be the Lord, that hath
pleaded the cause of my reproach from the hand of Nabal, and hath kept his servant
from evil: for the Lord hath returned the wickedness of Nabal upon his own head. And
David sent and communed with Abigail, to take her to him to wife.
1 Samuel 25:39, King James Version
David also took Ahinoam of Jezreel; and they were also both of them his wives.
1 Samuel 25:42, King James Version
And the sixth, Ithream, by Eglah David’s wife. These were born to David in Hebron.
2 Samuel 3:5, King James Version
And David took him more concubines and wives out of Jerusalem, after he was come
from Hebron: and there were yet sons and daughters born to David.
2 Samuel 5:13, King James Version
And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I
anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; 8And I gave
thee thy master’s house, and thy master’s wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the
house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have
given unto thee such and such things.
2 Samuel 12:7–8, King James Version
And David comforted Bathsheba his wife, and went in unto her, and lay with her: and
she bare a son, and he called his name Solomon: and the Lord loved him.
2 Samuel 12:24, King James Version
David is the most significant man on this list thus far; not only was he the king of Israel,
he is also the penman behind hundreds of chapters of Scripture.
And he was a man after God’s own heart (Acts 13:22).
Make no mistake that there was sin in David’s life. He committed adultery and murdered
to get away with it. He was as human as the rest of us, yet he was highly favored by the
lord.
And he was a polygynist.
It’s easy enough to attribute David’s problems to some sort of insatiable lust, but the
Scriptures do not point us in that direction.
On the contrary, 2 Samuel 12:7–8 (quoted above) and the surrounding context show
that David rebelled against the lord despite having multiple wives. The Scriptures go so
far as to say that God himself gave David multiple wives and that, if they were not
enough, he would give David even more!
According to the Bible, does God sin? Can iniquity be found in the him? Does God
change?

Keep in mind that the ESV Study Bible said that the Scriptures never encouraged
polygyny. What does it have to say about God giving multiple wives to David? “There is
no other record of David marrying Saul’s wives, but he was certainly in a position to do
so.”
Basically, they avoid the issue. When confronted with undeniable, incontrovertible
evidence that polygyny is an acceptable practice, rather than admit such, the editors of
the study Bible sidestep the issue. I hope you won’t make the same mistake when
coming to your own understanding of what the Bible says regarding marriage.
ELIPHAZ
And the sons of Eliphaz were Teman, Omar, Zepho, and Gatam, and Kenaz.  12 And
Timna was concubine to Eliphaz Esau’s son; and she bare to Eliphaz Amalek:
these were the sons of Adah Esau’s wife.
Genesis 36:11–12, King James Version
We are only told the name of one of Eliphaz’s wives, but what we are not told is that
God disapproved of his family structure. We should not read into the Scriptures
disapproval where none in fact exists.
ELKANAH
Now there was a certain man of Ramathaim-zophim, of mount Ephraim, and his
name wasElkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son of Tohu, the son of
Zuph, an Ephrathite:  2 And he had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah, and the
name of the other Peninnah: and Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children.
1 Samuel 1:1–2, King James Version
The ESV Study Bible actually makes sense in its handling of this passage, so I’ll defer
to it: “Probably Hannah was Elkanah’s first wife, since she is named first. Presumably
he married Peninnah because Hannah was barren; lack of an heir was a major problem
in the ancient Near East, as in many other societies. Taking a second wife was one way
to try to solve the problem (Gen. 16:2), as was levirate marriage. Elkanah’s pedigree
suggests that it would be important to him to have an heir to continue the family and
also that he was prosperous enough to afford a second marriage.”
If marriage was the only legitimate avenue of fulfilling the command to procreate, then
how much more does polygyny allow this command to be fulfilled? We saw this sort of
thing earlier in the case of Abraham; so that Abraham may have a child, his wife Sarai
encouraged him to take Hagar to be his second wife.
Seems to me that polygyny is in fact an encouraged alternative to remaining childless.
Curious, no?
ESAU
And Esau was forty years old when he took to wife Judith the daughter of Beeri the
Hittite, and Bashemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite:

Genesis 26:34, King James Version
Multiple wives with no disapproval. Are you noticing a pattern yet?
EZRA
And the sons of Ezra were, Jether, and Mered, and Epher, and Jalon: and she bare
Miriam, and Shammai, and Ishbah the father of Eshtemoa.  18 And his wife Jehudijah bare
Jered the father of Gedor, and Heber the father of Socho, and Jekuthiel the father of
Zanoah. And these are the sons of Bithiah the daughter of Pharaoh, which Mered took.
1 Chronicles 4:17–18, King James Version
Verse 17 lists the sons of Ezrah with one wife; verse 18 details his family with his wife
Jehudijah (or as some translations render it, his Judahite wife).
There are family details aplenty but not a word of divine disapproval.
GIDEON
And Gideon had threescore and ten sons of his body begotten: for he had many wives.
Judges 8:30, King James Version
This passage doesn’t mince any words: Gideon had many wives. Plain. Simple.
Unpunished.
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by linearity: 1:56pm On Jan 22, 2018
asuustrike2009:

Brother study the scriptures with understanding from the holy spirit not on your own understanding.( Prov 3:5).
The holy spirit bring to remembrance what you knew not. He is the great teacher.

I made reference to the Bible and the context of Jesus’ teaching based on the specificity of the question he was asked. I did not insert my own understanding or private interpretations...you that are saying that, Jesus answered the question of marrying one wife that was not asked of him along with the question of divorce that was asked are the ones inserting your own understanding.

You guys made reference to what he said about God creating man and woman (and not women) in the beginning. This was an Old Testament scripture, he didn’t command those who had more than one wife in the Old Testament; he didn’t say, now am giving you a new commandment, etc.

Going to the beginning; God clothed our first parents with fig leaves and animal skins...he never cloth them with cotton, fiber, etc...I guess it is a sin to wear cotton, fiber, etc. In the beginning he created heaven and Earth and two big lights, including the stars and commanded the bigger (The Sun) light to watch over the day and smaller (The Moon) one over the night....despite the limited view of that Genesis passage, we still believe that God also created Jupital, Mars, Venus, etc and not just Earth...Mars have two moons, Jupital has 16, Saturn have 53 moons, etc...noon of these were mentioned in Genesis, but we still believed that God created all.

My point is, there are lots of things we don’t know and we are threading dangerous groups when we make rules and laws based on areas that the Bible is silence. Agreed, you can make a personal commitment to live a certain way, based on how the Holy Spirit is leading you, but don’t preach to others to tow that path and try to justify it by some inferring what you think the Scriptures might be saying, when it was not expressly saying it.

The only scriptural bases against having more than one wife, is the qualification of a Bishop or leader in the Church....Paul enumerated all the qualifications in 1 Tim 3:1-7; and some of the qualities include not violent, not a drunker, able to teach, not a lover of money, husband to one wife, self controlled....Yes, he was talking to believers-born again folks and if you still doubt it; another condition is; he must not be a new convert....aka newly born again is disqualing just as having more than one wife.
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by lonikit: 2:01pm On Jan 22, 2018
TheNazarene:

I am not saying Rachael wasn't a wife ooo but if you look at the genealogy of Jesus in the Bible with the exception of David (due to certain reasons), every person God used was the result of the union between their father and the first wife...So the first wife is legitimate and the others illegitimate

dont say want u dont knw sir. hope u knw judah was part if the genealogy. check how pharez was born and also tell us how Rehoboam was born to Solomon.
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by PSTEMMA1960(m): 2:43pm On Jan 22, 2018
Softhands:
My guy, if truly you have given your life to Christ and your conscience pricks you hard enough to separate from those women that have had kids for you... Here is what you should do... Put things in order to make those other women comfortable and go back to the very first woman.... Don't be looking for conviction up and down like a toddler.
since u can't back it up with atleast one scripture, i rest my case..
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by Ijoni: 2:51pm On Jan 22, 2018
When we apply scripture to life situations, it is always pertinent to do that with understanding and with an open heart. First of all, it is necessary to know that you use scripture to interpret scripture. Asking for where the bible directly require restitution if one had two or more wives before being born again is akin to asking where did the bible condemn smoking. There are certain things God permitted in old testament that Jesus in his teaching put in right and clearer perspective, e.g the issue of Moses permitting children of Israel to give notice of divorcement to their wife if they are no longer interested in the marriage. Now it should be clear to all that the pronouncement of Jesus who is the Lord on any scriptural issue is final and supersedes what any other prophet or teacher in old testament had made. So if Jesus teaches in Matthew 19: 4-6 that two shall become one flesh, if you who is that situation is a real born again child of God like the question implies, you will not find it difficult to obey your Lord and Master. So the question of seeking direct place where bible instruct such restitution should not arise in the first place, because God does not approve of the marriage to a second or third wife, and anybody who is in such marriage is living daily in adultery.
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by lonikit: 3:07pm On Jan 22, 2018
Ijoni:
When we apply scripture to life situations, it is always pertinent to do that with understanding and with an open heart. First of all, it is necessary to know that you use scripture to interpret scripture. Asking for where the bible directly require restitution if one had two or more wives before being born again is akin to asking where did the bible condemn smoking. There are certain things God permitted in old testament that Jesus in his teaching put in right and clearer perspective, e.g the issue of Moses permitting children of Israel to give notice of divorcement to their wife if they are no longer interested in the marriage. Now it should be clear to all that the pronouncement of Jesus who is the Lord on any scriptural issue is final and supersedes what any other prophet or teacher in old testament had made. So if Jesus teaches in Matthew 19: 4-6 that two shall become one flesh, if you who is that situation is a real born again child of God like the question implies, you will not find it difficult to obey your Lord and Master. So the question of seeking direct place where bible instruct such restitution should not arise in the first place, because God does not approve of the marriage to a second or third wife, and anybody who is in such marriage is living daily in adultery.

so why did God say he hates "puting away"
and besides, who wil nw marry the wife put away by her husband
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by alBHAGDADI: 3:08pm On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:

I laughed at this post. pls, back this up with scripture. it seems u are speaking for God.
so reacheal wasn't recognised by God, why did bible refer to Bathsheba as david wife (after repentance, did he send her away??) why did bible make demarcation BTW Solomon's wives and concubine??
show us that marriage restitution in the bible sir.
Stop confusing yourself. Jacob, David and the Israelites before the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ were Jews and under the judaism where such was permitted i.e marrying more than one wife. But since Jesus Christ, God ordered all mankind to go back to His original plan which is one man and one woman in marriage.

Mathew 19:3-9

3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”
4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’
5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
7 “Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”
8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.
9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

In the above verse, we see Jesus stating it clearly that divorcing your wife and marry another is committing a sin called adultery. He also made it clear that marriage is to be between one man and a woman for them to be one flesh. Adding another woman disrupts the equation. Now, if He frowned at divorcing your wife and marrying another- a thing He sees as adultery- what do you think He will feel about you marrying a new wife in addition to the first one? That is also adultery cos you have brought in a new number which can never make the equation to be one man and one woman equals one flesh.

You can keep dribbling, but as long as Jesus stated that marriage is to be between a man and a woman, not a man and more than one woman, then remaining in a marriage with more than one woman is pure adultery.
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by alBHAGDADI: 3:11pm On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:

so why did God say he hates "puting away"
and besides, who wil nw marry the wife put away by her husband
He hates putting away the wife of your youth whom He recognizes, not the newcomers who have plunged you into adultery. Putting them away is equivalent to obeying Him. Keeping them is equivalent to disobeying Him.
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by alBHAGDADI: 3:19pm On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:

no sir. I need a scriptural backing. this doctrine is so common and I tink we shud not just be follower church doctrines that are not found in the bible.

restitution as defined by dictionary is a restoration of wht was lost. how wil u put a wife u married legally away bcus u got born again thereby creating another prob for ursev and chuldren
wil u be in peace with such father who put away ur mother and keep anther woman cus he got born again and andthis doctrine is not found in the bible and Bible says we shud live peacefully with all men. now tell me, where is the peace in dat family
You can't find it expressly written that ''put away your other wives after you get born again''. No, you can't find such. You can only find scriptures that state what a Christian marriage should be. Anything asides that is sin. Or will you now say having sex with a sex doll isn't sin cos the bible didn't state it expressly?

Now, what problem do you think you are creating for yourself and the children from such union? Have you ever thought about the good you might actually be paving way for? What if she ends up with a good man, a man of her own? What if she remains and creates problems associated with polygamy in your house?

Don't live in sin. Your preventing such a woman from going is also tieing her down in sin.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by lonikit: 3:21pm On Jan 22, 2018
alBHAGDADI:
Stop confusing yourself. Jacob, David and the Israelites before the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ were Jews and under the judaism where such was permitted i.e marrying more than one wife. But since Jesus Christ, God ordered all mankind to go back to His original plan which is one man and one woman in marriage.

Mathew 19:3-9

3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”
4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’
5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
7 “Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”
8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.
9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

In the above verse, we see Jesus stating it clearly that divorcing your wife and marry another is committing a sin called adultery. He also made it clear that marriage is to be between one man and a woman for them to be one flesh. Adding another woman disrupts the equation. Now, if He frowned at divorcing your wife and marrying another- a thing He sees as adultery- what do you think He will feel about you marrying a new wife in addition to the first one? That is also adultery cos you have brought in a new number which can never make the equation to be one man and one woman equals one flesh.

You can keep dribbling, but as long as Jesus stated that marriage is to be between a man and a woman, not a man and more than one woman, then remaining in a marriage with more than one woman is pure adultery.
it obvious u are more confused here. check ur first paragraph and the quotation. Jesus was quoting from old testament to justify the fact that they should not divorce. where did Christ told them they can put wife away after becoming his follower.
after David repentance, Bathsheba was called his wife. God didn't said he shud put her away. stop saying wht u dont knw sir. u can not knw more than God ur creator. who even promised david wives.
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by lonikit: 3:25pm On Jan 22, 2018
alBHAGDADI:
He hates putting away the wife of your youth whom He recognizes, not the newcomers who have plunged you into adultery. Putting them away is equivalent to obeying Him. Keeping them is equivalent to disobeying Him.
stop quoting me if u can't prove ur point scripturally sir. where did God tell u he recognized a wife and didn't to other?? give example of a wife recognized by God and the one he said he didn't
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by lonikit: 3:29pm On Jan 22, 2018
alBHAGDADI:
You can't find it expressly written that ''put away your other wives after you get born again''. No, you can't find such. You can only find scriptures that state what a Christian marriage should be. Anything asides that is sin. Or will you now say having sex with a sex doll isn't sin cos the bible didn't state it expressly?

Now, what problem do you think you are creating for yourself and the children from such union? Have you ever thought about the good you might actually be paving way for? What if she ends up with a good man, a man of her own? What if she remains and creates problems associated with polygamy in your house?

Don't live in sin. Your preventing such a woman from going is also tieing her down in sin.
see confusion. and it is written dat u can't marry a woman that has bn put away. a separated woman shud remain single. oya say another thing.
once u marry a woman, u dont hav the right to put her away. read ur bible very well.
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by alBHAGDADI: 3:37pm On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:
it obvious u are more confused here. check ur first paragraph and the quotation. Jesus was quoting from old testament to justify the fact that they should not divorce. where did Christ told them they can put wife away after becoming his follower.
after David repentance, Bathsheba was called his wife. God didn't said he shud put her away. stop saying wht u dont knw sir. u can not knw more than God ur creator. who even promised david wives.
First you need to know that David is not a Christian and he's not the one we are following.

Secondly, we as Christians are trying our best to move to what life was like in the beginning when God ordained marriage to be between a man and one woman. Remaining in a polygamous lifestyle is moving away from the path towards the beginning where peace reigned.

It is the same mentality of not killing, stealing, lying etc cos those things didn't exist in the beginning before sin. SIN came into this world and brought this other evil. When sin came, other things like murder, rape, lying etc also came in, likewise polygamy. If polygamy was something God was always okay with, He would have made it so from the beginning. But lack of contentiousness made man lust for more wives, which is sin in itself. God allowed the children of Israel to practice polygamy cos they were just getting to know Him. He knew it would be difficult for them to comply if He had ordered against polygamy. He had to wait for when Jesus Christ will establish a new way of life.

Mark 10:7-8
7 ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,
8 and the two will become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two, but one flesh.
9 Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.”

Including a new wife in the above equation is the same as trying to separate what God has joined together. That new wife can never be part of the one flesh ordained by God.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by alBHAGDADI: 3:44pm On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:

see confusion. and it is written dat u can't marry a woman that has bn put away. a separated woman shud remain single. oya say another thing.
once u marry a woman, u dont hav the right to put her away. read ur bible very well.
Why are you hell bent on getting this twisted?

Putting away means divorce in the Eyes of God. You can only put away/divorce the first wife you got married to. It is such God hates. But putting away the other women that came after your first wife is not regarded as putting away/divorce in the Eyes of God cos He never recognized them. Your union with them was adulterous to Him. So therefore, your putting them away is seen as obedience to Him.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by lonikit: 3:54pm On Jan 22, 2018
alBHAGDADI:
Why are you hell bent on getting this twisted?

Putting away means divorce in the Eyes of God. You can only put away/divorce the first wife you got married to. It is such God hates. But putting away the other women that came after your first wife is not regarded as putting away/divorce in the Eyes of God cos He never recognized them. Your union with them was adulterous to Him. So therefore, your putting them away is seen as obedience to Him.
I'm just laughing at this. u are typing as if u are God.
stop all this philosophical statement and show me where God recognized a wife and didn't for the other.

u said Christians are striving to go back to original plan of marriage, then there should be room to marry a deceased brother's wife abi??, u can sleep with a virgin and turned her to ur wife etc bcus it was part of the law.

my brother stop confusing ursev. once u marry someone legally u are not allowed be it under law or grace to put her away. bcus God commanded we shud not marry someone that has bn put away. Paul emphasized it as well that separated person shud not marry again.

dont preach to any one to put his wife/wives away bcus God hates it. it is better to remain unmarried than to put away for any reason be it born again or anytin.
Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by alBHAGDADI: 3:56pm On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:

stop quoting me if u can't prove ur point scripturally sir. where did God tell u he recognized a wife and didn't to other?? give example of a wife recognized by God and the one he said he didn't

The below passage shows he recognizes the first wife who became one flesh with the husband. Other wives are not part of the union which God joined together.

Mark 10:7-8
7 ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,
8 and the two will become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two, but one flesh.
9 Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.”

The above verse has established that having and keeping a second wife is adultery and a sin before God. Remaining in that sin and still claiming to be born again is not acceptable. It is just like stealing money from a dead man's account which his children ought to inherit. You can't keep enjoying the money while you claim you have become born again. Have you thought about the pain the children must have gone through in the hands of poverty, which they might still be going through? The right thing to do in order for God to accept your repentance is to return the money to the family of the dead man. That's similar to what Zacheaus did when Jesus visited him. Notice what Jesus said in the passage below.

LUKE 19:8-9

8 But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

iF YOU WANT TRUE SALVATION TO COME INTO YOUR LIFE, then return what is not yours. Return that woman that is not part of your ONE FLESH.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by alBHAGDADI: 4:01pm On Jan 22, 2018
lonikit:

I'm just laughing at this. u are typing as if u are God.
stop all this philosophical statement and show me where God recognized a wife and didn't for the other.

u said Christians are striving to go back to original plan of marriage, then there should be room to marry a deceased brother's wife abi??, u can sleep with a virgin and turned her to ur wife etc bcus it was part of the law.

my brother stop confusing ursev. once u marry someone legally u are not allowed be it under law or grace to put her away. bcus God commanded we shud not marry someone that has bn put away. Paul emphasized it as well that separated person shud not marry again.

dont preach to any one to put his wife/wives away bcus God hates it. it is better to remain unmarried than to put away for any reason be it born again or anytin.
Every sensible person reading this thread can see that you are just trying to justify your sins. Many have given you scriptural backing and even explained them, but you claim they are just phylosophical talks.

Well, it's your life and you can live it the way you want. But know that all those @frosbel2 and his cohorts are satanists whom you shouldn't be listening to. Perhaps you are one of them who is just here to confuse the Christians.

Enjoy your life.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jan 22, 2018
linearity:

I made reference to the Bible and the context of Jesus’ teaching based on the specificity of the question he was asked. I did not insert my own understanding or private interpretations...you that are saying that, Jesus answered the question of marrying one wife that was not asked of him along with the question of divorce that was asked are the ones inserting your own understanding.

You guys made reference to what he said about God creating man and woman (and not women) in the beginning. This was an Old Testament scripture, he didn’t command those who had more than one wife in the Old Testament; he didn’t say, now am giving you a new commandment, etc.

Going to the beginning; God clothed our first parents with fig leaves and animal skins...he never cloth them with cotton, fiber, etc...I guess it is a sin to wear cotton, fiber, etc. In the beginning he created heaven and Earth and two big lights, including the stars and commanded the bigger (The Sun) light to watch over the day and smaller (The Moon) one over the night....despite the limited view of that Genesis passage, we still believe that God also created Jupital, Mars, Venus, etc and not just Earth...Mars have two moons, Jupital has 16, Saturn have 53 moons, etc...noon of these were mentioned in Genesis, but we still believed that God created all.

My point is, there are lots of things we don’t know and we are threading dangerous groups when we make rules and laws based on areas that the Bible is silence. Agreed, you can make a personal commitment to live a certain way, based on how the Holy Spirit is leading you, but don’t preach to others to tow that path and try to justify it by some inferring what you think the Scriptures might be saying, when it was not expressly saying it.

The only scriptural bases against having more than one wife, is the qualification of a Bishop or leader in the Church....Paul enumerated all the qualifications in 1 Tim 3:1-7; and some of the qualities include not violent, not a drunker, able to teach, not a lover of money, husband to one wife, self controlled....Yes, he was talking to believers-born again folks and if you still doubt it; another condition is; he must not be a new convert....aka newly born again is disqualing just as having more than one wife.
You didn't cite Bible quotation. You were just typing without reference. I gave up to 5 bible verses to back my claim but you could not give up 6 scriptures to back yours. Now let me add some for you to study ; Gen 2:18,Eph 5:3.
Mat 19:9, Mark 10:11, Luke 16:18.( it didn't say if any man divorces his wives but wife).
1 Cor 7:2-4 talks about one man one wife and each fulfilling their duties not one man with several wives.
The book of 1 Tim 3:2,12 you cited were for pastors and deacons right, haven't ever occur to you that many persons wanted to hold such position?.Are you now implying that those who had several wives should divorce them if they called into ministry

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Rev. Father Mathew Orie Beaten, Hospitalised Over N500 In Ebonyi State. Photos / Man Beats His Fiancee During Church Service After Pastor Exposed Her Wickedness / Chris Oyakhilome Is A Phoney

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.