Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony (80283 Views)

Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry / Firdaus Amasa Insulted Those Who Begged Her To Remove Her Hijab - Twitter User / Nigerians React To The Hijab-Wearing Law Graduate Who Wasn't Called To Bar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by forzarush(f): 1:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
simsay:

Easy with the rush. What's the worst that will happen if she doesn't wear it. The Muslim sisters that has been called before her, are they inferior Muslims to her.
The law doesn't permit it. If it doesn't go down well with her let her find another profession. Stop the fanatism. Some people pointed out sharia courts (women like yourselves are not even permitted to be sharia lawyers)

Why not fight for your right first as your are being alienated by your own religion.
Raise your hand over your head and give yourself a knock. she is not ' the Muslim sisters that (has) have been called before her' and as to whether or not they are inferior,you should know since you seem to think you and your 'people pointers' know about Islam. Goan carry dictionary and look up the word fanatism.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by jrusky(m): 1:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
smoy:
may Allah straighten and strengthen your faith. proud of you.

Which Faith is Allah strengthen? You Nigeria Muslims you are a disgrace to Islam because you are killing yourself for what in actual sense is not of African origin.

More so is this idiot want to tell me all those Muslim women who had graduated from this same law school and are good lawyers today are fake or what?

When you know you want to die of religion dogmatism madness why did you studued law? So you want to come to court covering your head, your face and your entire body in some sort of undertaker dress code to defend your client?

In Saudi Arabia that even gave birth to the prophet and owns him dead or alive I have seen loads of female lawyers from their they never dress like undertaker so where is your nonsense idea coming from madam face hidden?

In Palestine or in Iran the most educated of all Islamic nation do you see any female lawyers covering their faces and wear undertaker dress code?

Young lady I guess you are ugly and burnt black like vampire that is why you are ashamed to show your face and be using Islam as your cover up. It's not too late you can tear your certificate or abandon it and go and study Arabic or Islamic religion or terrorist in Afghanistan or Syria or Iraq good for you ok. So keep your nonsense reasons to yourself and get life.

3 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Cuteamigo1(m): 1:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
sorextee:
So if I dressed like this for my call to bar, and I was refused entry.. Is it safe for me to say my religious rights were violated
you are missing the point. is this how you are expected to dress normally? all i see here is islamaphobia.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by OYIBN: 1:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
She is just looking for cheap publicity. She should be ignored.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by smoy: 1:55pm On Dec 17, 2017
wirinet:

She has rights to practice her religion in a secular court? In that case every one else must also have thier rights in other secular institutions, ie deeper life members should not be forced to wear trousers while serving there NYSC, but should be allowed to wear skirts. Same for female deeper life members serving in any of the security forces including immigration, customs, etc.

What about cele members, should they be forced to wear shoes to their offices? They should be allowed to go bare footed to their place of service or work.

You guys should be aware that we have many religions in Nigeria and not Muslims and Christians. We have Ogboni, ifa, Bahai, and numerous others, if you guys insist that we should abandon common secular uniforms and adorn religious atires to secular functions, then you are advocating for anarchy.
any body is free to use anything he dim fit, as far as you don't tampered with the right of a Muslimah especially.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by wirinet(m): 1:55pm On Dec 17, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

I'm sorry, but your argument is rather absurd! It is a secular court, not an anti-religion court. The goal of secularism has never been to eliminate religious expressions. It is to remove any direct influence of religion from state transactions. So, please tell me, how does wearing hijab interfere with state transactions?

Secularism does not mean imposing your religious expression on others. Wearing an hijab to state functions like a courtroom has the same effect as a judge wearing dreds to court. It gives the impression of religious bias in the person expressing his religion in public.
Would you agree to stand before a rastaferian judge wearing dredlocks?

2 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by EternalBeing: 1:57pm On Dec 17, 2017
See the favoured next Nigerian President, a Moslem that would rule Nigeria without myopic religious bigotry: https://www.nairaland.com/4237140/kill-muslims-kill-christians-vows

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by AgentOfAllah: 1:59pm On Dec 17, 2017
eodavids:

Your point is clear, @agent

But the point is:
Others, both her mates and previous graduates of Law school have certain areas and aspect of the institution's modus operandi which may not conform to their belief. All such people have kept quiet in the interest of peace and uniformity.

By this act, perhaps all future students will find a voice and must be given their right to difference.

Can you expect what right to difference will introduce

Oh common. Let's not go there na.

What do you mean let's not go there? This is why we will forever remain at the mercy of bullies and criminals. You get trampled upon like no man's business, and just because other people allow themselves to be so abused, nobody should scream bloody murder? C'mon man, we can do better!
Like Wole Soyinka once said, "the man dies in him who keeps silent in the face of tyranny". Don't be a dead (wo)man!
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by wirinet(m): 1:59pm On Dec 17, 2017
smoy:
any body is free to use anything he dim fit, as far as you don't tampered with the right of a Muslimah especially.

Why Muslimah especially? Does a Muslim have more rights than other Nigerians?

You did not answer my question, should NYSC members that are deeper life members be allowed to wear skirts instead of trousers, since their religious expression forbids the wearing of trousers?

2 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by smoy: 1:59pm On Dec 17, 2017
NubiLove:
Asing for uniformity is NOT taking away her right to practice her religion.

that is one of her religion obligatory, uniformity comes later, she will be answerable to her body exposed if she chooses majorities way which may not always right. but she shall not be question on the uniformity of Lawyers.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by CloudResident(m): 2:00pm On Dec 17, 2017
I am a Muslim but I do not support what she did one bit. You can't change the status quo by going against established norms.it's rebellion.Simple!

I am disappointed because she ought to know better.it's really a needless debate for all I care.

Those wailing wailers crying foul never found their voices when a certain Bello spoke out about the exploitation in law school some months ago which led to his dismissal. He got a valid court judgement to be reinstated yet NOTHING has being done as I write this. The Muslim umma kept mute even as he is a Muslim.Why? Because it does not carry any religious undertone undecided
It is your right to wear shoes but if I forbid you from entering my house with shoes,you either comply or you go back.shikena!

All these are just misplaced priorities and hypocrisy, hypocrisy and ultimately hypocrisy undecided

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by joncom(m): 2:01pm On Dec 17, 2017
Adebowale89:
when the lady that graduated from lasu then refuse to wear nysc trouser, she left and no CAN raise any mouth or castigate nysc body

don't know what the fuss with this hijab. does the hijab makes her holy

if she received proper home training, she won't disgrace her family in that prominent convention

if I'm Muslim and my daughter do such, she won't bring such shame home to meet me

one thing why i can't convert to Muslim is because of their intolerance and dominant nature
It is very obvious this a grand plan from a higher authority. She was even told not to comment any further. There is something happening we don't know. But, I know they will fail

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by smoy: 2:01pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chukazu:

What you are saying indirectly is" we also allow a JUJU priest to be called to bar in his full regalia?
something like that, if that is her religion obligatory .
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Blaizeless: 2:01pm On Dec 17, 2017
This is the most stupendous issue ever known in history.
I know the eediot, she is a person. Allow her to introduce herself in court and u will start seeing the beginning of her end in the profession.

And for the religious fanatics like MURIC, who want to radicalize gullible muslems, the god wey go punish una still never finish im press up.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by bitchcrafts: 2:02pm On Dec 17, 2017
linearity:

The reference to New York doesn’t have any merits and it is like comparing apples with oranges.

Lawyers in the US don’t have uniform or a proscribed way of dressing even in court. No wig, no cap, no regalia, nothing....you are only require to dress professionally to rest the court and for male, a nice suite and tie is just good enough.

In Nigeria, lawyers are mandated by law to dress certain way period!
And that should change. Even the British that induced the icky tradition have started reviewing it. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-wigs/wigs-off-as-britain-ends-courtroom-tradition-idUSL1287872820070713
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by giftedben: 2:02pm On Dec 17, 2017
I believe this lady is controversial and I wouldn't even hire her to be my lawyer. Dressing appropriately is essential to getting your clients and peers to view you as such. Imagine
Wig ontop Hijab. What are you? A masquerade!!

3 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by SmartchoiceNGR: 2:02pm On Dec 17, 2017
smoy:
may Allah straighten and strengthen your faith. proud of you.
Piss off

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by AgentOfAllah: 2:02pm On Dec 17, 2017
Essy697:
U don't have to argue with ds pple dy ve bin blindfolded by sentiments therefore they won't seen any wrong in what she did...let dm be.. let dm continue to wallow in Ignorance..Islam a religion of Peace my Foot.

You mistake my position! Let me be clear, I support the right of anybody to wear their hijab in or outside the courthouse because I don't believe her hijab interferes with her ability to practice her profession. This is not a sentimental position either, unless there is something sentimental about secularism.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by azyaq(m): 2:03pm On Dec 17, 2017
U are u fool. Who told u she hiding her face can't u see? The picture above is what she was wearing n wasn't allowed in.
Desyner:
Nonsense!
If the acceptance of 'face mask' in NewYork justifies her action I hope people like her will understand the stance of people like bob-risky.
By the way, what or who is she hiding her face from? Will the husband killer wife in Abuja also cover her face and claim another vieled person did the crime?
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by AngelicBeing: 2:04pm On Dec 17, 2017
ZombiePUNISHER:
These terrorists will not Rest until they born down this country.... I knew she must have been planning this confrontation with her superiors prior to this...
Many Good Muslims before her have followed laid down rules and regulations of the profession without any qualms
Thank God she didn't wear any explosives

But baffles me is the bold support the terrorists are getting from their kind on this forum and beyond
They don't know that state law supersedes all religious law... They don't know that Nigeria is a secular state
They don't know that Nigeria is not under Sharia

Nigeria has no business being one nation
It's not working
We are only covering Up a seven months pregnancy
Once we divide this country... Stories like this will immediately become a thing of the past
While other nations are talking about Mars
We are here debating about hijab

Gbam sad
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by JamesReacher(m): 2:04pm On Dec 17, 2017
wirinet:

Secularism does not mean imposing your religious expression on others. Wearing an hijab to state functions like a courtroom has the same effect as a judge wearing dreds to court. It gives the impression of religious bias in the person expressing his religion in public.
Would you agree to stand before a rastaferian judge wearing dredlocks?
You black man! Im sure you know dreadlocks are natural and thats hair not any accessory.

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Kagarko(m): 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2017
LessNoise:
Nigeria is a secular state I really don't understand the brouhaha about this hijab..since u insist on wearing it well thumbs up I sincerely hope you'd be able to change the status quo

Just the way USA is a secular state. NBA President's daughter was called to bar with her Hijaab not even the type used by Amasa.

The white colonised us with their tradition and culture which is purely christianic in nature and people want us to continue domesticating those ideas Hook Line and Sinker.

Amasa's action is a Sacrifice for those coming behind.

The cross in our hospitals, the gowns in the schools are all Christians symbols. Yet Muslims Obey them hook line and sinker.

We'll soon start demanding for public holiday on Friday.

2 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Banter1(m): 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2017
Why must they bring religion into everything they do? They carry religion for head like papparazi. They wear their religion like war sweater! Smh

3 Likes

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Simpledude0847(m): 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2017
She is just making much out of nothing. she knew what she entered for and as for challenging the status quo, she should have done that through the courts.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by wirinet(m): 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2017
smoy:
that is one of her religion obligatory, uniformity comes later, she will be answerable to her body exposed if she chooses majorities way which may not always right. but she shall not be question on the uniformity of Lawyers.

Sorry not wearing a hijab but only a wig exposes her whole body. If she is more concerned about religious that uniformity and the ethics of the profession she chose to pursue, why stop at hijab. She should have appeared for the call to bar in full burka.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by smoy: 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2017
jrusky:

Which Faith is Allah strengthen? You Nigeria Muslims you are a disgrace to Islam because you are killing yourself for what in actual sense is not of African origin.

More so is this idiot want to tell me all those Muslim women who had graduated from this same law school and are good lawyers today are fake or what?

When you know you want to die of religion dogmatism madness why did you studued law? So you want to come to court covering your head, your face and your entire body in some sort of undertaker dress code to defend your client?

In Saudi Arabia that even gave birth to the prophet and owns him dead or alive I have seen loads of female lawyers from their they never dress like undertaker so where is your nonsense idea coming from madam face hidden?

In Palestine or in Iran the most educated of all Islamic nation do you see any female lawyers covering their faces and wear undertaker dress code?

Young lady I guess you are ugly and burnt black like vampire that is why you are ashamed to show your face and be using Islam as your cover up. It's not too late you can tear your certificate or abandon it and go and study Arabic or Islamic religion or terrorist in Afghanistan or Syria or Iraq good for you ok. So keep your nonsense reasons to yourself and get life.
they are not fake Muslims but Allah will asked them if they abide or do otherwise with the injunctions of the Qur'an.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by azyaq(m): 2:07pm On Dec 17, 2017
Is it a crime if they allow Muslim female lawyers wear hijab wen d Christian can dress d way they like. Be just man
SalamRushdie:
So she intentionally set out to go the bar ceremony to cause problems being the the Adherent of the religion of peace she is ..I maintain this silly girl is being sponsored for Bigger agenda by people within the NBA and the govt who in coming months will make Hijab wearing okay for female muslim lawyers and Judges in our common law courts...just watch and see
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by Desyner: 2:08pm On Dec 17, 2017
azyaq:
U are u fool. Who told u she hiding her face can't u see? The picture above is what she was wearing n wasn't allowed in.
You are the fo.ol.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by azyaq(m): 2:09pm On Dec 17, 2017
Because our religion is our way of life man
Banter1:
Why must they bring religion into everything they do? They carry religion for head like papparazi. They wear their religion like war sweater! Smh
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by smoy: 2:10pm On Dec 17, 2017
wirinet:

Why Muslimah especially? Does a Muslim have more rights than other Nigerians?

You did not answer my question, should NYSC members that are deeper life members be allowed to wear skirts instead of trousers, since their religious expression forbids the wearing of trousers?
and i said yes as long and deeper the skirt might look like as far as it her religious right.

for the Muslimah she must be protected because she is a weaker of human, not that she have better right but she may have more rights.
Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by fellowman: 2:10pm On Dec 17, 2017
smoy:
she have right to her religion. after all if you cheek their dressing it copy of christian quire-master which was forced on Muslim and we never complain, this is our cloth to cover our shame it do not cover our brain.

so why do you have shame, are you a slave?
why are you bringing religion to court?

1 Like

Re: Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony by anpipac: 2:10pm On Dec 17, 2017
not necessary

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Meet Ebere Asonibe, A Graduate Who Is A Native Doctor / Photos Of Twitter Staff Before And After Elon Musk / Kafayat Sanni: Nigeria's First Female Fighter Pilot (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.