Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,424 members, 7,781,237 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:06 AM

Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? (32403 Views)

Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony / Firdaus Amasa Insulted Those Who Begged Her To Remove Her Hijab - Twitter User / Slay Queen Called To Bar Shares Her Experience At Nigerian Law School. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by niceair(m): 5:29pm On Dec 17, 2017
lazygal:

She abides by the dress code 100% all she did was cover her hair .is it a sin to cover hair ? Is there a written law that states she should leave her hair open?
Mynd44 respect your self and as a mod its best you keep quiet over sensitive matters as this .

Because Mynd44 is a mod he should air his view... Call a spade a spade

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 17, 2017
Vivere:

Oga, you did not address your post to me, but curiosity made me intervene. I read through everything you posted, and there was nowhere in the article you cited, which shows that hijab is allowed to be worn as an item of clothing (in addition to the wig and gown), by female Muslim lawyers while appearing in court. Abi, you sef no check am?

precisely, and there is nothing that says Hijab is not allowed

the implication is exactly what Firdaus stated - that nothing whatsover in any NBA handbook, code of conduct, regulations forbids, or advises against wearing of hijab

please do not pretend to be daft or mischievous.

this is why in the end it will be up to the NBA. as i said previously, unfortuantely for you frothing bigots, Muslims are very very well represented in the NBA.

your 'masquerade' , 'ninja' and other slurs will not hold water because these are professionals who have worked with people in hijab with no issues whatsover.

do you understand now. . .or are you one of those poor souls who has been robbed of critical reasoning by the nigerian educational system?

Vivere:

She violated the dress code regulations for lawyers as specified by the Council for Legal Education.

how do you violate a dress code when there is no rule against it? are you a lawyer? have you ever seen a company policy before? these documents are unambiguos, especially where dress codes are concerned

all we have is the likely forged document that mynd44 was referencing

anything forbidden is SPELT OUT as it is in the documents you perused without comprehending

the best you can get toward your case is one blog where people were advised against religious symbols because of potential prejudices of the judges.
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Vivere: 5:37pm On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

the implication is exactly what Firdaus stated - that nothing whatsover in any NBA handbook, code of conduct, regulations forbids, or advises against wearing of hijab

this is why in the end it will be up to the NBA. as i said previously, unfortuantely for you frothing bigots, Muslims are very very well represented in the NBA.

your 'masquerade' , 'ninja' and other slurs will not hold water because these are professionals who have worked with people in hijab with no issues whatsover.

do you understand now. . .or are you one of those poor souls who has been robbed of critical reasoning by the nigerian educational system?

how do you violate a dress code when there is no rule against it? are you a lawyer? have you ever seen a company policy before? these documents are unambiguos, especially where dress codes are concerned

anything forbidden is SPELT OUT as it is in the documents you perused without comprehending

the best you can get toward your case is one blog where people were advised against religious symbols because of potential prejudices of the judges.

Why do people like you reach for the gutter to unleash filthy innuendoes against those whose views differ from your own? Did you see the words masquerade' , 'ninja' and other slurs, in my previous post or in any of my posts on this thread?

Wearing of jeans, cut-outs and face caps are not mentioned in the dress code either, so does it mean they are allowed?

3 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by BABSIN(m): 5:38pm On Dec 17, 2017
For God sake, Firdaus paid to be educated, Please stop comparing her with those that seek employment under certain condition.
hakeem4:
But this girl is not serious oo

So you got a job with the bank, and you were asked to dress coperately ( suit and tie). You now wear agbada to work the next day claiming you know your right

Madam eez like there something wrong with your brain
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 17, 2017
Vivere:

Why do people like you reach for the gutter to unleash filthy innuendoes against those whose views differ from your own? Did you see the words masquerade' , 'ninja' and other slurs, in my previous post or in any of my posts on this thread?

Wearing of jeans, cut-outs and face caps are nor mentioned in the dress code either, so does it mean they are allowed?

why are you pretending to be daft?

is the practice of law not formal? do you wear jeans to formal occasions? when one talks down to you you get offended, then you reinforce your poor reasoning by coming up with even dafter analogies. or perhaps you are the kind of pikin that needs to be told not to wear base ball caps to the corporate office?

i know exactly where you are coming from. no need for any dog whistling tongue tongue
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by niceair(m): 5:51pm On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

is the practice of law not formal? do you wear jeans to formal occasions? when one talks down to you you get offended, then you reinforce your poor reasoning by coming up with even dafter analogies. or perhaps you are the kind of pikin that needs to be told not to wear base ball caps to the corporate office?

i know exactly where you are coming from. no need for any dog whistling tongue tongue

So you saying what she did is right.... Nigeria is a secular nation and every institution has its own rules and regulation one should abide with...

U have an offer in a brewery company its ur decision to take the job or leave it cause it goes against ur religion. Now taking d job n u asked to taste beer as a prerequisite n u say ur religion doesn't permit u then u sack afterward will u blame d company going against ur fundamental/human right.

As u an engineer, get a job in an oil n gas company and don't wear helmet while working @height saying a religion doesn't permit u ..what speaks of u.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by omogidi234(m): 5:53pm On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

all we have is the likely forged document that mynd44 was referencing

These are valid points you have made. I assume you are looking at the lacuna of the CLE, in that it did not state categorically that no one wears hijab to call to bar ceremonies. However, I think the court would have to make pronouncement( probably up to the Supreme Court), because, the Rules says you must appear in your wig & gown & suits, so she would have to argue that she can wear something underneath the wig & that would not amount to disobedience to the Rules.
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 17, 2017
niceair:

So you saying what she did is right.... Nigeria is a secular nation and every institution has its own rules and regulation one should abide with...

U have an offer in a brewery company its ur decision to take the job or leave it cause it goes against ur religion. Now taking d job n u asked to taste beer as a prerequisite n u say ur religion doesn't permit u then u sack afterward will u blame d company going against ur fundamental/human right.

As u an engineer, get a job in an oil n gas company and don't wear helmet while working @height saying a religion doesn't permit u ..what speaks of u.

Please stop highlighting your idiocy. I have stated that I work in oil and gas and I work with women who wear hijab and safety helmets. Is it too hard for you slowpokes to understand that women wear hijab in virtually all industries without it being an issue?

What kind of unexposed rube are you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Vivere: 6:26pm On Dec 17, 2017
undecided
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Vivere: 6:32pm On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

No sir, daftness must be part of your genes. You reached into this gutter again to use lousy words like "poor reasoning" and "dafter analogies." It is okay. It is obvious this topic causes you pain, otherwise you would not be throwing tantrums by using such derisive words.

In some industries, jeans and baseball caps are not frowned upon. Ask civil engineers, architects and project managers. In your own world, the hijab is a formal wear, while other types of outfits are informal. We can all see where your own dog started its whistling.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by niceair(m): 6:40pm On Dec 17, 2017
oyb:

Please stop highlighting your idiocy. I have stated that I work in oil and gas and I work with women who wear hijab and safety helmets. Is it too hard for you slowpokes to understand that women wear hijab in virtually all industries without it being an issue?

What kind of unexposed rube are you?
You work in oil and gas and your two cent sense can't tell you what she is demanding for is totally wrong and unacceptable... Mr Oil Worker

5 Likes

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by bitchcrafts: 6:41pm On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

Answer this simple question.

The National Mosque is built by the FG right?

Can I express my freedom of expression in terms of clothing and wear my shoes into the Mosque? Simple question
Yes, you can once you have the certificate from the psychiatrist clarifying that something is wrong upstairs. You can even decide to bring out your peepee and urinate inside just like your very liberal, pace keeping brothers in the US Army passed excrement on the Qur'an while they were cleaning up the nuclear bomb mess in Iraq grin
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by niceair(m): 6:43pm On Dec 17, 2017
Vivere:

No sir, daftness must be part of your genes. You reached into this gutter again to use lousy words like "poor reasoning" and "dafter analogies." It is okay. It is obvious this topic causes you pain, otherwise you would not be throwing tantrums by using such derisive words.

In some industries, jeans and baseball caps are not frowned upon. Ask civil engineers, architects and project managers. In your own world, the hijab is a formal wear, while other types of outfits are informal. We can all see where your own dog started its whistling.

Tell that oyb of a person... Making senseless statement like a Fool and you call yourself Oil Worker. Religious Fanatics

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Vivere: 6:44pm On Dec 17, 2017
niceair:

You work in oil and gas and you two cent sense can't tell you what she is demanding for is totally and unacceptable wrong...you
Hehehhe...don't waste your time, my brother. cheesy He is obsessed with the hijab. I feel sorry for the women who wear hijabs under their helmets though. The heat must be stifling for them. In Ontario and Quebec in Canada, safety regulations take precedence over religious dressing and preferences. You cannot wear a hijab if it conflicts with safety regulations or procedures.

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by lazygal: 6:44pm On Dec 17, 2017
cooljoe:
darlin dear, it doesn't work that way

shocked stop calling me Darling dear...that is how u woo ladies over there with sweet words and dump them
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Kay17: 7:01pm On Dec 17, 2017
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Kay17: 7:04pm On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

There is a difference between laws of an association and crime

You omitted to address whether voluntary associations can violate human rights without hindrance
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by heysquare(m): 7:04pm On Dec 17, 2017
thank God all of u ranting here wudnt be d judge in court whr d case wil be hear and decided. y r u all judging her for standing for her right? but if it wr to be a christian, u ppl wud ve been quoting bible verse "thou shall not judge". y cant u apply same verse here? oh! its not applicable to non christians! hypocrites of d end time I sees!
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Kay17: 7:15pm On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

Wrong. According to the judgment, if you agree to be a member of these association, your constitutional rights can be shifted and is not binding.

Being a lawyer is a privilege and not a right

Upon what basis doesn't your second paragraph stand on?
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Kay17: 7:16pm On Dec 17, 2017
omogidi234:

These are valid points you have made. I assume you are looking at the lacuna of the CLE, in that it did not state categorically that no one wears hijab to call to bar ceremonies. However, I think the court would have to make pronouncement( probably up to the Supreme Court), because, the Rules says you must appear in your wig & gown & suits, so she would have to argue that she can wear something underneath the wig & that would not amount to disobedience to the Rules.

There are actually no formal rules on dressing. It's more of tradition
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Mynd44: 7:17pm On Dec 17, 2017
Kay17:

You omitted to address whether voluntary associations can violate human rights without hindrance
The judgement says if you agree to be a member of a voluntary organisation, some of your rights can be forfeit andthe court cant interfere because you have the choice of leaving

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by cooljoe(m): 7:20pm On Dec 17, 2017
lazygal:

shocked stop calling me Darling dear...that is how u woo ladies over there with sweet words and dump them
would you rather I call u "mivida"? 4 d records, I don't have a sugar coated tongue, and I don't dump/disrespect ladies. I come from a family filled wit females - amognst other things, I believe in Karma and as such I won't do to another man's sister what I won't have someone else do to my sister.
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Kay17: 7:23pm On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

The judgement says if you agree to be a member of a voluntary organisation, some of your rights can be forfeit andthe court cant interfere because you have the choice of leaving

Is she a member yet? No she's not.

But that aside, the call to bar is to enroll into the Supreme Court and practice there or at other courts. Now if she is not treated equally in the like of others especially in her unique observance of her religion then she is being discriminated against.

Thats an infringement of her human rights.
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Kay17: 7:24pm On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

Besides it is possible for some of one's rights to be forfeited? Like right to life? Of course not. There is a limit somewhere.
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by lazygal: 7:25pm On Dec 17, 2017
cooljoe:
would you rather I call u "mivida"? 4 d records, I don't have a sugar coated tongue, and I don't dump/disrespect ladies. I come from a family filled wit females - amognst other things, I believe in Karma and as such I won't do to another man's sister what I won't have someone else do to my sister.

Na so..saint
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by superstar1(m): 7:28pm On Dec 17, 2017
Sikay19:
Some people are just being hypocritical on the ground of islamophobic attitude. It is really unreasonable to have compare hijab with these ceremonial style of dressing. Hijab is being known as part of Muslim identity of of which every female muslims are to be adorn with and definitely not for ceremonial or spiritual purposes.
The argument is really baseless

Based on your position, Nigeria should equally recognise Gay-Marriage and Transgenders - LGBTs?

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by cooljoe(m): 7:36pm On Dec 17, 2017
lazygal:

Na so..saint
so long *lazygal*
Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by armadeo(m): 7:37pm On Dec 17, 2017
streamsofjoy:

Indirectly chasing ambulance lipsrsealed

Lol. Many would not get this.

At least only 3 for now.

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by armadeo(m): 7:46pm On Dec 17, 2017
olaremint:
the courts does not intervene in decisions of voluntary associations, fine argument. however if the decisions of voluntary associations amounts to an offence in the land or violations of human rights, can it still be categorized as non interference in the decisions of a voluntary association. If members of the NBA decides to support the disintegration of Nigeria and sponsors Nnamdi Kanu to blow up the Abuja airport , can NBA raise the objection that the court cannot interfere in their affairs . that should be the most mumuish and illogical reasoning have ever come across.

Thus is The most illogical thing I have see today.

Crime is different from freedom of expression.

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by armadeo(m): 7:47pm On Dec 17, 2017
JuicyStar:
Pls Op how's this cited case related to the use of hijab? Pls get ur facts right and not mislead the public. The NBA is not a voluntary association but one that is compulsory for all lawyers called to Bar. It is the duty of the Counsel of Legal Education to certify an intending lawyer that he/she is fit and proper to be called to the Nigerian Bar. Passing the exams is not an automatic ticket that u would be called. Attitude and adherence to basic rule during ur stay in the law school is also key.

Without sounding bais, this lady is very wrong in her stance. She may have a good course but the way she's going about it is very wrong.

The NBA is a voluntary organisation one you voluntarily decided to join the day you make up your mind to be a lawyer. Have you ever seen an engineer or accountant complain about law school?

1 Like

Re: Is This Legal Precedence In The Firdaus' Hijab And Nigerian Law School Incident? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 17, 2017
Vivere:

Hehehhe...don't waste your time, my brother. cheesy He is obsessed with the hijab. I feel sorry for the women who wear hijabs under their helmets though. The heat must be stifling for them. In Ontario and Quebec in Canada, safety regulations take precedence over religious dressing and preferences. You cannot wear a hijab if it conflicts with safety regulations or procedures.

you were saying?

you lot are just rubes who have not seen anything beyond the confines of whatever village you live in
pathetic, backward miseducated village cretins
sad

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

17 Golden Rules To Remember In Life / List Of Things You Are Entitled To By Law From Your Employer / Private Schools Do Not Pay Teachers During Holidays

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.