Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,849 members, 7,798,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? (14776 Views)

DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl / At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? / Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Onwan: 12:27am On Apr 13, 2010
I think he should have his brainbox reset or IF there is a spare he should try it out. The former thread was where he decided to buy the new MAF (If he bought the right one, then it should be okay - except he bought a fake which will explain malfunction after a month).

The noise from the in-tank fuel pump is not the start-up priming noise from what he posted above - Its more of a noise at normal engine running. Well, it wont do any harm if he has it checked out though.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sultaan(m): 12:47am On Apr 13, 2010
I know you are a fan of brainbox reset, unfortunately I don't know what that implies.
I know ECU can be flashed(reset) but only by dealer if necessary or as a TSB(Technical Service Bulletin)

The standard thing is to reset obd after working on faults otherwise it takes a couple of cycles before car turns off the MIL
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Onwan: 1:15am On Apr 13, 2010
@Sultaan
Actually the ECU is also referred to as the Brainbox; and as a computer engineer, reseting the brainbox means simply zeroing the memory of the brainbox (which is what your OBD tools simply reads and interprete) and at this stage; the brainbox has to re-learn your vehicle.

And about flashing - it means mapping or transferring a predetermined data unto a memory space (Not the same as a reset); and in this case I dont know IF its done or what tools you use for that - I only know of manual DIY after a car's brainbox is reset, you start the car, drive slow, then fast.

My advise on the reset is from experience after wasting money on sensors and nuzzles. We need to understand and consider the fact that the poster is not in the States, or even in Lagos - He is in Port Harcourt - Thats why one has to be as practical as possible in suggestions. Its not that easy or inexpensive to handle autos there.

Anyway, its nice to learn about any vehicle one drives; I just successfully reset my S500's ECU but Im trying to get it in Dyno mode so I can work some magic and get the damn ESP and BAS lights off my dash.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sultaan(m): 1:47am On Apr 13, 2010
OK thank for the info.

We were talking about the same thing

Any mech that works on a car, codes has to be reset with scantool.

It can also be done(on some cars) by disconnecting negative terminal of battery for about 10 min.

If battery is disconnected in Honda radio will not work.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sultaan(m): 2:00am On Apr 13, 2010
OK thank for the info.

We were talking about the same thing

Any mech that works on a car, codes has to be reset with scantool.

It can also be done(on some cars) by disconnecting negative terminal of battery for about 10 min.

If battery is disconnected in Honda radio will not work that is why the radio unlock thread is very active.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Onwan: 8:50am On Apr 13, 2010
@Sultaan
That level of reset is worse in the S Class; you have to tell the ECU what level of glass winding is required; you even have to tell the ECU the level of headlamp setting that is full, even the open roof too - not to talk of calibrating the ESP and Airmatics. You simply have to love the car you drive to cope with its maintenance.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:44am On Apr 14, 2010
Onwan:

@George_D
Thats from one page; even on that one page you will see someone recommending the car. The way you maintain your car and how you drive matters a lot.

Ive read a review where someone said he would have bought a camel than the 2006 VW Touareg, on the same page another called it the best SUV. I think its personal.

Some people have a website seriously criticizing the Hummer H2 - www.fuh2.com - meanwhile on autos.msn.com you will be shocked at some very serious devotion and high recommendations for that brand/model.

But IF one likes a brand/model, then one should be ready for whatever. I bought a Merc that was showing me Airmatic Errors on the dash, and still went ahead because I simply love the model.

onwan,
do your home work well. some brands pose more problems than others. even within the same brand some model yrs are more trouble owing either to a change in engine design, transmission, etc. read my lips!
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Onwan: 10:43am On Apr 14, 2010
@George_D
Except from a manufacturer that compromise quality, and a generally recalled brand/model/year; I do not believe your theory. It all depends on what, how and where you drive.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 2:26pm On Apr 14, 2010
You guys are simply great and I deeply appreciate your comments.

My resolution is to take it very slowly, look for a competent mechanic and eliminate as advised on this thread.

I will be sure not to start with the big things. I will rather start with the small things.

In the interim, I will get a toyota car to move around and sort this out very carefully.

Nissan altima is a beautiful car o drive and it has much power (mine is a 3.5L, V6 engine).

I am enjoying the thread as I am learning so many things and I am thinking of becoming an auto mechanic or at the least start a business in that line grin
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Onwan: 2:51pm On Apr 14, 2010
Its a good business - lots of income; especially when you offer high-end diagnostics for brands like Mercedes, BMW, Range Rover, Bentley, etc. You will invest a bit on equipment though.

Make sure you buy a Toyota you really like, so you dont freak out on expensive parts when it starts its own problems.

Why not get a BMW, or a mercedes? A trial at that might blow you away  cheesy
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by GeorgeD1(m): 3:46pm On Apr 16, 2010
sbm,
i'm glad your learning something new.
shine your eyes! smiley
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 7:47pm On Apr 16, 2010
@George_D,

thats the word,
I now know exactly what things to look for when buying another car,
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 5:06pm On Apr 18, 2010
Gents,

I met a guy that drives my kind of car and i told him about the issues I am having. He said he had something close to that and he had to change the fuse box,

That is far away from what we have been discussing so far, He also said I could check if there is any leakage around the wire that covers the plug ( i dont know the technical name).

I dont know if a complete change of engine will solve this issue,
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Onwan: 5:39pm On Apr 18, 2010
@Sbm4real
Do not change your engine.

He might be right to have changed his fuse box and some other things at the same time and not knowing what excactly solved the problem - this happens all the time.

We have discussed some issues here; for me you should start with basic and practical things - like your brainbox. Im sure of that for a start.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 7:54pm On Apr 19, 2010
ok
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sultaan(m): 2:54am On Apr 20, 2010
@sbm4real

Look at your pedals there are switches on the brake pedals that is probably cause of stall, P1572
They are on the hinge of the pedal

http://www.nissanforums.com/general-maxima-discussion/140619-suddenly-dead-vehicle-dtc-p1572.html
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by GeorgeD1(m): 5:12pm On Apr 20, 2010
sbm,
well you are already seeing for yourself that your not the only one with issues driving that model year.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Onwan: 9:06pm On Apr 20, 2010
@George_D
Different cars have their different problems. If he likes his car, then let him deal with its problems. Some other folks have that model and aint complaining because they have not encountered that problem with it. Same way some folks have your "ideal" vehicle and would label it the Ultimate lemon.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by GeorgeD1(m): 10:10am On Apr 21, 2010
onwan,
deal with reality. when it comes to cars, sentiments can only carry you this far! wink
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by ChiefD(m): 6:12pm On Apr 21, 2010
@George_D
I wonder what your "reality" is, your posts have no contribution to helping the vehicle's problems, its just all about discouraging the owner. You need to contribute intelligently. What do you even drive?

By the way, this is Onwan.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:19pm On Apr 21, 2010
onwan, chief-d,
multiple ids are not allowed on this site. just a gentle reminder.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by ChiefD(m): 7:29pm On Apr 21, 2010
My other user name has that software problem BUT they are working on it.

If it was multiple ID, I wont have told you its me. Intelligently.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by GeorgeD1(m): 10:50am On Apr 22, 2010
still your violating the rules-software problems or not. seun may not take kindly to this!
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by ChiefD(m): 12:17pm On Apr 22, 2010
@George_D
Do you even have brains at all?

My user ID cant log in due to software problems and I have reported it and its being worked on and Im using a different ID to contribute positively to help someone with his problems in the forum and you are talking about seun, and taking things kindly?

Im not by any means on the same level as you are - considering a thread like this and all you have been posting; being to discourage the owner and not even a line on troubleshooting. I dont mean to be insultive BUT I dont deal with empties. Kindly let me have my space and contribute to what the poster has.

Please mind your business and lets stick to the poster's issue here. You are not my business and I intend you understand that fact clearly.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by dustydee: 12:17pm On Apr 22, 2010
I have this Honda accord 2003, gives the following error codes,please what does it mean?the guy said he doesnt knw yet
AT
45-01,45-06
Engine
71-01,71-02
Please help
he uses sfx autoboss
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by ChiefD(m): 12:29pm On Apr 22, 2010
@dustydee
Its clear that the guy has the tool (sfx autoboss) but does not know how to interprete the codes (which makes him not very good for your diagnostics issues) - some tools have similar codes for someo errors while some have their own keys. Basically, you might help him by asking for the manual of the tool itself and then you can read up the codes and from the table set you will be able to interprete it yourself.

Generally, I think the AT = Automatic Transmission, and the codes and your Engine code shows there are concerns in those parts.

Why not let the house know what problems you are having withe vehicle in the first place; this might help in the toubleshooting. There also are other diagnostic centers (there is even one advertised on nairaland) where you can get people who can at least tell you what their computer says.

Sultaan what do you say?
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:51pm On Apr 22, 2010
Chief_D:

@George_D
Do you even have brains at all?

My user ID cant log in due to software problems and I have reported it and its being worked on and Im using a different ID to contribute positively to help someone with his problems in the forum and you are talking about seun, and taking things kindly?

Im not by any means on the same level as you are - considering a thread like this and all you have been posting; being to discourage the owner and not even a line on troubleshooting. I dont mean to be insultive BUT I dont deal with empties. Kindly let me have my space and contribute to what the poster has.

Please mind your business and lets stick to the poster's issue here. You are not my business and I intend you understand that fact clearly.

onwan/chief d,
your uncouth outbursts only goes to show how low you can get. your in a forum which clearly frowns against the use of multiple ids and here you are boasting about your mis-deeds!
did this 'software' problem start as far back as june 2008? how come you have been registered with this same chief d user id all along while 'onwan' was still in use?

my brother, be guided pls. your expletives don't add one inch to your inflated sense of importance!
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 12:53pm On Apr 22, 2010
All,

This is mind blowing and u need to hear it.
A mechanic went to cheeck my car and diagnozed. He went under the car, checked the O2 sensor and saw that it was not well connected. He fixed that and they drove the car for a long while without stopping.

I have told them to fill the tank and drive it all over the city to be sure. This sounds too simple to all the contributions here. By the time I get back home and I check it, I will give you guys a concrete feedback.

Thanks all
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by ChiefD(m): 1:35pm On Apr 22, 2010
@Sbm4Real
Congratulations! Looks like its coming up and you are learning your car. So you dont have to dump the car afterall. Hope it turns out well on your feedback. cheesy
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by dustydee: 1:46pm On Apr 22, 2010
Chief_D:

@dustydee
Its clear that the guy has the tool (sfx autoboss) but does not know how to interprete the codes (which makes him not very good for your diagnostics issues) - some tools have similar codes for someo errors while some have their own keys. Basically, you might help him by asking for the manual of the tool itself and then you can read up the codes and from the table set you will be able to interprete it yourself.

Generally, I think the AT = Automatic Transmission, and the codes and your Engine code shows there are concerns in those parts.

Why not let the house know what problems you are having withe vehicle in the first place; this might help in the toubleshooting. There also are other diagnostic centers (there is even one advertised on nairaland) where you can get people who can at least tell you what their computer says.

Sultaan what do you say?

Thanks,when I drive the car for a while,the gear refuses to shift.when I decelerate,the car jumps as if the gear is abt to engage.whan stationary,if I shift to D the car shakes/vibrates violently for abt a second or two. Bought the car on nairaland and eversince it has been one problem or the other.Never enjoyed it once. Can't even sell it because of the problem(well, dont want someone else to go thru what i am going through).
Once again the error codes are
AT: 45-01,45-06,
Engine :71-01,71-02.
Thanks for your help.If you have any number I can call or any mechanic in abuja that is reliable(I have spent a lot trying to fix this car - I mean it alot that I dont want to mention)Accord 2003 model.Thanks house.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by ChiefD(m): 2:29pm On Apr 22, 2010
@dustydee
Strictly my point of view from experience:
The Gear problem could affect your engine IF you continue driving it .

I would not advise you waste any more $ on that gear - Just change it. You can get a tokumbo for your exact model (Exact as in exact, not 02/03 or 03/04, get the exact manufacture year). Make sure the sensor tray that is there is not tampered with and that the replacement one will fitted - the gear itself and the sensor connectors connected too. Some mechanics overlook all those things and in the end you have a working gear BUT those gear indicator lights on the dash and gear knob side wont work/work well.

After this step, then we can see whats going on with the engine side.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by dustydee: 2:46pm On Apr 22, 2010
Chief_D:

@dustydee
Strictly my point of view from experience:
The Gear problem could affect your engine IF you continue driving it .

I would not advise you waste any more $ on that gear - Just change it. You can get a tokumbo for your exact model (Exact as in exact, not 02/03 or 03/04, get the exact manufacture year). Make sure the sensor tray that is there is not tampered with and that the replacement one will fitted - the gear itself and the sensor connectors connected too. Some mechanics overlook all those things and in the end you have a working gear BUT those gear indicator lights on the dash and gear knob side wont work/work well.

After this step, then we can see whats going on with the engine side.
I have changed it o.The guy that changed it keeps insisting that it is not the new gear box that is bad.says its one sensor on the engine that keeps getting dirty.don't see the logic in that, so i went to seek alternative advice and thts where i got the codes from.wanted to use police to arrest that mechanic but i was advised to look else where and let him be. sad sad sad sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu Endorses Ondo Auto Rally (Photos And Videos) / Littering Your Car Can Cause A Deadly Accident – Read This / 03-06 MDX E-service Manual. If You Need One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.