Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. (4548 Views)

Lets Be Practical With Engine Oil Spec / Best 20W50 Engine Oil / Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by dokiOloye(m): 1:11pm On Dec 19, 2017
I think more has to be done to sensitize people on correct engine oil specifications for their cars,even if as a matter of charity.
I'm in this tyre service station in Abuja since early this morning to resolve a nagging alignment issue and people are trooping in to 'service' their cars probably against the Christmas travels.
This 'engineer' is gleefully pouring 20W 50 Mobil or Forte oil into all the engines.On the last count before 11am,I counted about 7 cars including a 2008 highlander,a 2005 4runner,a RX330,RX300,06/07 accord.
This person that came in with 08 highlander was a typical dude,young guy,beard gang,dark sunglasses,yellow bobo,and was even trying to beat down the price of d oil to N3500.SMH

3 Likes

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by nurey(m): 3:23pm On Dec 19, 2017
Please help me collect all their contact so when their engine knock, they can patronize me for part replacement grin.

Thank you, God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by thebigkendo(m): 4:00pm On Dec 19, 2017
dokiOloye:
I think more has to be done to sensitize people on correct engine oil specifications for their cars,even if as a matter of charity.
I'm in this tyre service station in Abuja since early this morning to resolve a nagging alignment issue and people are trooping in to 'service' their cars probably against the Christmas travels.
This 'engineer' is gleefully pouring 20W 50 Mobil or Forte oil into all the engines .On the last count before 11am,I counted about 7 cars including a 2008 highlander,a 2005 4runner,a RX330,RX300,06/07 accord.
This person that came in with 08 highlander was a typical dude,young guy,beard gang,dark sunglasses,yellow bobo,and was even trying to beat down the price of d oil down to N3500.SMH

Oga with 3000 km oil change they will be fine

1 Like

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by dokiOloye(m): 4:11pm On Dec 19, 2017
thebigkendo:

eeeeee?
Ok oooo.
I've learnt another one today but I no go practice or preach am grin
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by kingreign(m): 5:22pm On Dec 19, 2017
I'm not sure about these engines state of health in the long term. Sludge, cold knocking sounds, etc. Na case for the owners sha
thebigkendo:

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by wura2020: 5:25pm On Dec 19, 2017
What surprises me about this controversy over the correct engine oil to use is the seemingly nonchalance of major oil companies in Nigeria. Even the Standard Organisation of Nigeria, (SON) should carry out tests to determine the correct oil to use. This will go a long way in correcting wrongly held misconceptions.
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by mayor2013: 9:04pm On Dec 19, 2017
kingreign:
I'm not sure about these engines state of health in the long term. Sludge, cold knocking sounds, etc. Na case for the owners sha

That 1MZ- FE go suffer ehn from big time sludge

1 Like

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by bravolad(m): 9:12pm On Dec 19, 2017
thebigkendo:

This is absolutely wrong. This oil quality degrades at a sustained high speed thereby offering less lubrication to the engine and cause a huge amount of sludge deposit.

The long time effect is a grudually weakened engine.

1 Like

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by kingreign(m): 9:15pm On Dec 19, 2017
wura2020:
What surprises me about this controversy over the correct engine oil to use is the seemingly nonchalance of major oil companies in Nigeria. Even the Standard Organisation of Nigeria, (SON) should carry out tests to determine the correct oil to use. This will go a long way in correcting wrongly held misconceptions.

Greetings daddy,
This is a very complex web we have found ourselves tangled in as regards oil locally produced in Nigeria.
I stand corrected, I feel the oil blenders, manufacturers and major oil companies manufacturing, blending and distributing oil in Nigeria have formed a cabal with a common interest; - to maximize profit irrespective of whose ox is gored and the ones who stands to bear the brunt of this selfish interest are the individuals who pays for oil change from their hard earned income. Reason why I say this are:
1. The oil companies and allied industries have world class qualified Mechanical, Automobile and Chemical expats in that field, they have learnt the evolving trends in 21st century vehicular R n D.
2. There are access to documents bothering on requirements for vehicle specification, oil manufacturing specification, QC specification, environmental control documents etc a few clicks away, why are these blueprints not adhered to in this part of the world.
3. Laziness to follow trends as obtains else where and corruption on the part of SON, COREN and NIS
4. Nigerians are too lazy n relaxed n accepts any craps thrown at them.

1 Like

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by luvinhubby(m): 9:47pm On Dec 19, 2017
thebigkendo:

Are you for real?

Even at 1,500km, the engine must have experienced accumulated sludge and engine wear for a 15,000 km trip.

Moreover, the combination of wrong fuel combustion and such oil in the engine is the reason the average age of engines on Nigerian cars runs between 3 - 5yrs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by luvinhubby(m): 9:49pm On Dec 19, 2017
dokiOloye:
This 'engineer' is gleefully pouring 20W 50 Mobil or Forte oil into all the engines.On the last count before 11am,I counted about 7 cars including a 2008 highlander,a 2005 4runner,a RX330,RX300,06/07 accord.
This person that came in with 08 highlander was a typical dude,young guy,beard gang,dark sunglasses,yellow bobo,and was even trying to beat down the price of d oil down to N3500.SMH

It is an epidemic, coupled with erroneous transmission fluids for gears.

1 Like

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by dokiOloye(m): 9:57pm On Dec 19, 2017
The most painful was d yellow bobo,beard gang dude.
I was like "so with all d sophistication you are forming, if dem sell a gallon of engine oil give you for N3500,you go carry am pour inside a 2008 SUV"?
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by scarplanet(m): 2:22am On Dec 20, 2017
Kingreign can you kindly drop your phone number pls?
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by helpishere(m): 5:00am On Dec 20, 2017
kingreign:

Greetings daddy,
This is a very complex web we have found ourselves tangled in as regards oil locally produced in Nigeria.
I stand corrected, I feel the oil blenders, manufacturers and major oil companies manufacturing, blending and distributing oil in Nigeria have formed a cabal with a common interest; - to maximize profit irrespective of whose ox is gored and the ones who stands to bear the brunt of this selfish interest are the individuals who pays for oil change from their hard earned income. Reason why I say this are:
1. The oil companies and allied industries have world class qualified Mechanical, Automobile and Chemical expats in that field, they have learnt the evolving trends in 21st century vehicular R n D.
2. There are access to documents bothering on requirements for vehicle specification, oil manufacturing specification, QC specification, environmental control documents etc a few clicks away, why are these blueprints not adhered to in this part of the world.
3. Laziness to follow trends as obtains else where and corruption on the part of SON, COREN and NIS
It is not a deliberate act. Someone once said that Mobil oil claim that Nigerians cannot afford good oils to maintain their vehicles and as such they bring in the obsolete oils for cheaper oil maintenance. But there is a silver lining with Total as they are gradually withdrawing all the old oils from the market. Has anyone bought q9000 lately?
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by kingreign(m): 5:32am On Dec 20, 2017
scarplanet:
Kingreign can you kindly drop your phone number pls?

1 Like

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by jossytech(m): 5:53am On Dec 20, 2017
Op is this oil OK for 1998 Toyota Camry, it's all I get at Mobil station in my state

https://www.mobil.com/english-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-1-esp-formula-5w30

Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 5W-30
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by jimmyneut: 5:56pm On Dec 20, 2017
5w-30 is the OEM recommended weight for your 1998 camry. But i cannot vouch for the Nigerian Mobil 1....(My 2 cents) wink

jossytech:
Op is this oil OK for 1998 Toyota Camry, it's all I get at Mobil station in my state

https://www.mobil.com/english-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-1-esp-formula-5w30

Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 5W-30

1 Like

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by jossytech(m): 4:48am On Dec 21, 2017
Thank you brother, you have any secure place to get it

Thanks
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by jimmyneut: 12:34pm On Dec 22, 2017
Sorry Brother ....I do not sell oil but there are some reputable sellers on nairaland like Gauzz and Autotrader...you can check their thread and get it from them if you desire or get Liqui Moly online at Konga and Jumia as well ....Its your choice

jossytech:
Thank you brother, you have any secure place to get it

Thanks
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by jossytech(m): 6:26am On Dec 23, 2017
Thanks nigga
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by ENDTIMEISNEAR: 8:30am On Dec 23, 2017
my formal mobile oil used in my car is Mobile 20w50. am confuse after reading comments here concerning mobile 20w50 oil not good in cars. pls which brand of Mobile oil will i use in my 2002 Avalon
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by helpishere(m): 10:01am On Dec 23, 2017
ENDTIMEISNEAR:
my formal mobile oil used in my car is Mobile 20w50. am confuse after reading comments here concerning mobile 20w50 oil not good in cars. pls which brand of Mobile oil will i use in my 2002 Avalon
5w30 esp
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by cmoney22222: 2:38pm On Dec 23, 2017
All i know is that i bought 5w20 from autotrader2 for my 2009 toyota camry.. this is what is written on my engine bay cap

1 Like

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by erico2k2(m): 5:32pm On Dec 23, 2017
thebigkendo:

if what you said is meant by you then my friend you need reorientation in the Auto Industry, what is bad is bad no way round it, wrong oil is wrong oil end off.

1 Like

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by erico2k2(m): 5:33pm On Dec 23, 2017
cmoney22222:
All i know is that i bought 5w20 from autotrader2 for my 2009 toyota camry.. this is what is written on my engine bay cap
If that's what is written on your Car then you are game.
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by erico2k2(m): 5:34pm On Dec 23, 2017
luvinhubby:

Are you for real?

Even at 1,500km, the engine must have experienced accumulated sludge and engine wear for a 15,000 km trip.

Moreover, the combination of wrong fuel combustion and such oil in the engine is the reason the average age of engines on Nigerian cars runs between 3 - 5yrs.
Thank you very much, nah this group of people dey kill people Engine
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by erico2k2(m): 5:39pm On Dec 23, 2017
kingreign:

Greetings daddy,
I have read what you said two times, my deductions
The kind of OIL is not the problem rather the viscosity. This is determined by your car manufacturer not the Engine oil manufacturer.
if your car says use 10w40, plz stick to 10w40, if it says 5w30 stick to 5w30, there is a reason that thickness was given, if your car requires lighter Oil and you pour heavy Oil into the Engine than be ready for overheating and sludge.
So to all,I say forget manufacturer, stick to the Viscosity given by the car manufacturer. Whom you decide to buy from is up to you be it Mobil or total or Ooando, that's up to you but read the spec ie xWx
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by cmoney22222: 5:56pm On Dec 23, 2017
b wink winks

erico2k2:

If that's what is written on your Car then you are game.
Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by pannyman(m): 8:13pm On Dec 23, 2017
I have seen a Range Rover having Mobil XHP 20w50 being poured into its engine. This was at my mechanic's place actually, and this mechanic happens to be a distributor for a synthetic oil brand.

I was stunned, and asked him he was this grade of oil was being used in the ride. He replied that that was what the owner was ready to pay for and he could not argue with him. Really incredible that somebody who could afford such an expensive car would skimp on using the right engine oil for it.

This was not long after I saw the owner of a Venza buying Total Dexron 2 for his car at a Total filling station.

The level of ignorance among Nigerians as it concerns vehicle oils is just mind boggling.

3 Likes

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by erico2k2(m): 8:34pm On Dec 23, 2017
pannyman:
I have seen a Range Rover having Mobil XHP 20w50 being poured into its engine. This was at my mechanic's place actually, and this mechanic happens to be a distributor for a synthetic oil brand.

I was stunned, and asked him he was this grade of oil was being used in the ride. He replied that that was what the owner was ready to pay for and he could not argue with him. Really incredible that somebody who could afford such an expensive car would skimp on using the right engine oil for it.

This was not long after I saw the owner of a Venza buying Total Dexron 2 for his car at a Total filling station.

The level of ignorance among Nigerians as it concerns vehicle oils is just mind boggling.
Thats the problem,the range rover man is meant to use 5w30, and should be prepared to pay,if he cant afford that then he has no biz drivi ng a range rover.

3 Likes

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by bravolad(m): 5:08am On Dec 24, 2017
pannyman:

This is particularly true of most Nigerian car owners; some are ignorant of the right spec of oil to use due in part to their inability to read car manuals for reason I truly can't comprehend while some are fully aware but feel that it's an expensive venture to use the right engine oil. Such owners are equally unaware of the nagetive effect of such oil in the engines.

I have personally seen owners of Range Rover, Kia Optima, Crosstour, Venza, Highlander & benz use this engine oil.

The use of wrong oil weight & spec has become a common practice in Nigeria & this is because the regulating agencies of government has failed in their statutory duties. Hence, the result is a proliferation of substandard & fake products (oil). Surprisingly, even dealership workshops use the dreaded 20w-50 as a one cap fits all approach. And this is after they must have charged the customer for a synthetic engine oil.

2 Likes

Re: Wrong Engine Oil Spec Epidemic. by helpishere(m): 9:39am On Dec 24, 2017
Kia Motors uses mineral oil on the Cerato 2014. Elizade uses 20w50 oil on 18m 2016 Toyota Corolla and no one is concerned or talking about it. Someone is using Cepsa 20w50 to service range rovers in lekki and he claimed that it is the best oil. All these Lekki mechanics, it is time to teach them basics in auto maintenance.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Car Is Most Common On Naija Road? / DIY; Cleaning Dirty Headlights 2003 Accord (includes Front Bumper Removal) / The New Face Of Road Worthiness Receipt In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.