Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,482 members, 7,808,754 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl (32466 Views)

Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. / Married But I'm Not Connected With My Husband, Hence I'm Depressed / Parents, Don't Allow Your Kids To Run To Meet You When You Return Home. See Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by uchennaq(m): 6:28am On Dec 20, 2017
I pity how some people comment on delicate issues like this and moreover Nairaland is not the right place to seek advice. Some people think that some parents are bigot and myopic, let me tell you, don't use your mouth to bring curses upon yourself and your generation. This guy didn't say anything about this girl she wanted to marry, behavior etc. I am strongly suspecting that the parents have seen something not good and are trying to prevent their son in making a mistake. Remember the Mom's threat of dying.

Bros a marriage that your parents did not approve will never work because I don't know who you will present as your parents during traditional marriage.
Please don't listen to useless advises here. Why don't you go and seek advise from a pastor or even a marriage counselor?
Sometimes it is good to let somethings go, don't forget there are so many young, old, matured, immature, sexy and unsexy woman out there.

BEWISE
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by soromummy(m): 6:29am On Dec 20, 2017
Young man face your life and live people matter stop taken drugs on another person sickness, the family knows there reasons more than you do. So face front
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 20, 2017
Follysho707:

If na Dangote pikin wey be muslim now, dem for no refuse ooo grin grin

after all we are all fellow nigerian.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Trustme2(m): 6:35am On Dec 20, 2017
MicheyJ1:
A marriage without the blessings of your parents would never bode well.
What about orphans getting married
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Peterosky(m): 6:47am On Dec 20, 2017
MicheyJ1:
A marriage without the blessings of your parents would never bode well.
.Yet, many marriages with the blessings of parents never ended well. My brother, commit your marriage into the hands of God and it will see success. Do your best to be your wife best friend and you will see your marriage blossom. And try the best you can to ensure that you and your wife keep away from third party interference in your marital affairs and watch the beauty of marriage.I have said my own. He that has an ear, let him hear what wisdom have just revealed.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Deo1986(m): 6:57am On Dec 20, 2017
Well i can belief in this new dispensation, people still fall in love to the extent of clinging to the guy/girl irrespective of parental disapproval! Me, mama says son, i dont like that gal. I'll say me too. And discard her with just a phone call. Never gonna hurt my mama with a bitch that added nothing to my prosperity.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Tamakay(m): 7:02am On Dec 20, 2017
I don't have any advice for now but I don't really fancy the combination. Edo and Igbo and the supposed mother inlaw who's from Edo standing on her words; if I were the girl, I would be the first to stop the relationship.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by lilytender: 7:03am On Dec 20, 2017
I have use my wife's moniker here each time callous moderators ban me unjustly. I am a Muslim from Ogun married to a Christian from Kwara. We are happier than the guy's parents. For those who will ask "are your children Muslims or Christians?" Be reminded that the fact that you bring up a child in the Church or in the Mosque does not mean that such a child cannot grow up to be an Atheist.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Marcofranz(m): 7:04am On Dec 20, 2017
giles14:
silly yes but still part of the women you have in this country n abroad.

our women are the best.

Yeah part of it And I thank God for that. The world would have been a terrible place to live in if all the women were like anambra women.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Draei: 7:15am On Dec 20, 2017
Deo1986:
Well i can belief in this new dispensation, people still fall in love to the extent of clinging to the guy/girl irrespective of parental disapproval! Me, mama says son, i dont like that gal. I'll say me too. And discard her with just a phone call. Never gonna hurt my mama with a bitch that added nothing to my prosperity.
Someone you wanna marry turns a
βitch overnight just because of your
parent's disapproval? You need help.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Austinoiz(m): 7:43am On Dec 20, 2017
Op, you no go go heaven ooo. See as u dey lie like omotete. Instead of you to say it's you, you're here using your friend as cover.
Wait, that your friend no sabi Nairaland? Why you carry ds matter for head like gala if it's not your matter?
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Austinoiz(m): 7:45am On Dec 20, 2017
munas:

My guy not me...

Na u bros, no dey lie like a kid
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Austinoiz(m): 7:53am On Dec 20, 2017
ehardetola:

I disagree with u, what about orphan?

So an orphan has no senior relatives to stand in as his/her parents in your imagination abi
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Hantonia(f): 8:12am On Dec 20, 2017
Go Nd See Ur Parish Priest Nd Explain Tinz 2 Him He Could Invite Ur Parents 2 Talk 2 Dem
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by iamrammy(m): 8:16am On Dec 20, 2017
thesicilian:
Some will say marriage is between you and your partner and your parents have no right to interfere. Thay be true, but what elderly person sees sitting down, a child may not see while standing up
what have they seen in this case, they barely know the girl...
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by CaptainG00D: 8:16am On Dec 20, 2017
sugah:

[s]Wow wow wow! Oga camdan! You are sounding as though you have personal issues with the person you mentioned, I might be wrong though.
You should understand that the guy gave his own opinion, which isn't far from the truth, so shouldn't be insulted in such manner. Although I did not see him say ALL igbos, but maybe if he had used a quantifier to state a proportion of igbos he was referring to in his comment we wouldn't be splitting hairs now.
I quite agree with him, igbos; and before you come guns blazing for me as well, most igbos aren't united. They always have something separating them from thier fellow tribesmen. Clan, local government, town, state, religious denomination, social class etc.
Within same state, you are given a plethora of reasons why you can't associate or marry from a town different from the other.
On requirements of potential spouse posted by single ladies on a dating site, the common factor that most Anambra girls had was tribe and religious denomination. 99% of them mandated the men to be from Anambra and about 80% also wanted them to be Catholics.....I'm guessing your 'highest rate' statistics did not include Anambra state in the data collection.

Unlike you, I'm actually yet to see a Yoruba girl refuse to marry a suitor that is also Yoruba but from a different state.....but I wouldn't go as far as calling you a bigot now, would I? Or accuse you of degenerating anothers tribe. But I personally know a lot of igbo girls that have turned down suitors due tribe, even amongst thier own tribe.

Abia---->Anambra women are bad
Anambra--->Onitsha women are bad
Pentecostals--->Catholics are idol worshippers
Imo----> Anambra men are too money conscious hence cannot be trusted
Anambra---->Imo men are lazy
....................division at different levels.

At OP, your friend is probably not yet mature for marriage if his parents are still dictating who he can and cannot marry.[/s]

Pls i cant read this long trash..
Heed to my advice if u hav sense thats all and edit that initial post of urs.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by macdonaldik: 8:17am On Dec 20, 2017
ehardetola:

I disagree with u, what about orphan?

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by jerekokafor(m): 8:33am On Dec 20, 2017
if he loves her he should marry her and for is parent not accepting is bad am also a catholic they teach to always love one another
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by lastclaire4(f): 8:36am On Dec 20, 2017
thesicilian:
Some will say marriage is between you and your partner and your parents have no right to interfere. Thay be true, but what elderly person sees sitting down, a child may not see while standing up
I don't think there is anything seen here. If there is then the mother should come out with a valid reason. After her parents allowed her marry a non-indigene she wants to spoil that of her child cos she is not directly involved. Mtcheew
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Deo1986(m): 8:42am On Dec 20, 2017
Draei:

Someone you wanna marry turns a
βitch overnight just because of your
parent's disapproval? You need help.
Someone's pained. Hey, opened your eyes. Us logicians dont give fucq 'bout marriage ok? So i think you need a bigger help.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by SILVA112(m): 8:47am On Dec 20, 2017
Naughtysite:

Sense fall on you.

So 30 yrs old man or 25 yr old woman are children.

I no blame u '' so if ur fada day 90 ( if at all him go reach ) and day ask him abt his children ' he will say I don't have children ' dat I have adults abi '' ode
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by SILVA112(m): 8:52am On Dec 20, 2017
connkg:

The quote is, "Children, obey your parents in the LORD; for this is right".
Thank u very much ' I already knw wr it is in d bible okay '' sabina
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 20, 2017
victorazyvictor:

Mine, her mother never wanted us BUT we loved each other and we stayed for 10 good years, yes u heard me, 10yrs. Now na the mother be my forerunner begging for me to come grin

God's time is the best.
If u two are meant to be, nothing will stop it.
After keeping her for 10 good years, why won't the mum become your fore-runner? They can't afford for you to leave again na. Infact, if you venture to say I don't want again, the kind of curses that will be rained on you ehh.
10 years is not a joke.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by victorazyvictor(m): 9:03am On Dec 20, 2017
Loisemm:

After keeping her for 10 good years, why won't the mum become your fore-runner? They can't afford for you to leave again na. Infact, if you venture to say I don't want again, the kind of curses that will be rained on you ehh.
10 years is not a joke.

That's the strategy, them they come tire and she is advancing in age too, other relationship couldn't work because we loved each other grin
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 20, 2017
I would advise both parties to go their way. Few of those kind of relationships in which parents don't support, eventually work out fine. Even if the couple grow together in love, will you keep being at logger heads with the parents?
There are many other suitable men and women in this wide world. Nobody should force his or her way into a family. If they don't want you for whatever reason, find your way out on time. Especially as a lady. Men can still afford to wait around but a lady has got less time to do that. Respect yourself.
@Op, tell your friend to try his best. And if his parents still resist, he should gently allow the lady move on. Except he knows his own case will be among the few that turn out well.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Draei: 9:13am On Dec 20, 2017
Deo1986:
Someone's pained. Hey, opened your eyes. Us logicians dont give fucq 'bout marriage ok? So i think you need a bigger help.
Tha' fučk are you even ranting about now?
Seems breakfast isn't served yet, bye man.
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by 9nice1x: 9:32am On Dec 20, 2017
My take on the stand of parents to marriage: Don't go ahead, they have seen something you did not see but they cannot possibly be expressed coherently or with decorum. Please, in anyway possible break the relationship and move ahead with your life with another person. Pls, Pls, Pls.
munas:
Hello people.

I have a very good friend of mind who wants to get married,but his dad and mum are kicking against his choice.
The guy's dad is from edo state,while hos mum is from Abia state.All well educated and they attend Catholic church.

The mum even said she will die if he goes ahead and marry the girl.

My friend really loves this girl and he wants to marry her.

Any advice on how to go about this?
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Danachuks(m): 9:43am On Dec 20, 2017
munas:
Hello people.

I have a very good friend of mind who wants to get married,but his dad and mum are kicking against his choice.
The guy's dad is from edo state,while hos mum is from Abia state.All well educated and they attend Catholic church.

Now the girl in question is from Anambra and attends penticostal church.

The parents of this my friend sad he should not married the girl because Amambra women are not good and she is not catholic.

This guy has convinced the girl to move to catholic and she agreed,but the parenst are still saying no.

The mum even said she will die if he goes ahead and marry the girl.

My friend really loves this girl and he wants to marry her.

Any advice on how to go about this?

just imagine an Edo man saying Anambra women, are not good, how I'm I sure he didn't marry his wife when she returned from ITALY
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by bedspread: 9:44am On Dec 20, 2017
bedspread:
ONE STRONG REAL ADVICE:

IF U ARE SURE BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT THAT SHE IS YOUR WIFE, GO AHEAD BRO.... YOUR MUM WILL NOT DIE... NO MUM WANTS TO DIE JUST BECAUSE OF ANOTHER PERSON..
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Rozaytee: 9:47am On Dec 20, 2017
some naija parents and choosy choosy... on whom to marry.... Mtcheeeeew

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by blackbeau1(f): 11:01am On Dec 20, 2017
greypencils:
A man who chooses his extended family over his wife and immediate family IS NOT A MAN
this isn't about being a man or not . Whether you like it or not , there's a stronger emotional attachment between you and your family than between you and your wife at least initially . Also apart from the emotional attachment part , if your family starts fighting your wife , if she fights back , the whole world considers her to be ' a disrespectful wore who broke up a family '. So because she can't fight back , the only part of the argument you keep hearing is your family's part. You keep hearing one thing long enough, you are gonna believe it and adopt it .
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by blackbeau1(f): 11:02am On Dec 20, 2017
Mariinee:
Chai..I want to hug you. Ya too smart. kiss
thanks smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dealing With The Pressures From Married Men / What's Happening To Our Men? / What's Your Plan B If Nobody Marries You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.