Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,689 members, 7,801,984 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

5 Critical Keys To Writing A Resume That Gets You The Job Interview - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 5 Critical Keys To Writing A Resume That Gets You The Job Interview (1321 Views)

WHAT GETS You Angry Easily? / Osun Workers Resume Strike After Seven Weeks Strike / Am I The Only One That Gets This Feeling. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Critical Keys To Writing A Resume That Gets You The Job Interview by careerdon(m): 8:48am On Apr 03, 2010
Here are the 5 critical keys to writing an interview-winning resume. These have worked for me and others time and time again. I've not only used them to get jobs, but I've used them to change jobs, change industries and change careers, and they've never failed me.
Surprisingly, most job seekers will never apply each of these 5 keys. Which means that if you do you'll have a major edge over everyone else competing for the same job.

1. Tailor your cover letter and resume to the job.

Never, ever use the same, generic resume for each job you apply for! You want the recruiter or employer who scans (and then reads) your cover letter and resume to know immediately that you're (a) ideal for the job, and (b) have made an extra effort to understand the company and its needs.

2. Use the same keywords in your resume as those in the job advertisement or job description.

There are two main reasons for this. Firstly, your resume is going to be scanned - generally by a human, but sometimes by a computer - so whoever is doing the scanning will be looking for signs that you match (or don't match) the job being advertised. A major sign is the language you use - if you're using the same keywords as those used in the job ad or description, it tells the reader that you're more likely to be a match.

3. Write your resume to be scanned.

Here, I don't just mean scanned for keywords, but I mean scanned so that you either jump out as a job candidate to be interviewed, or a candidate to be rejected. Now you want to jump out as someone to be interviewed, so you need to ensure that your cover letter and resume quickly and easily communicates your suitability for the job.

4. Sell yourself. The primary aim of your job application - your cover letter and resume

- is to persuade someone to give you a job interview. It follows that every element of that cover letter and resume - from the words you use (and don't use) to the overall presentation - should sell the reader on giving you an interview.

5. Follows the conventions of the relevant company, profession or industry. Depending on the job, company, industry or profession you're trying to break into, there may be certain conventions about such things as how your resume should look, how long it should be, and what it should say. It's critical that your cover letter and resume follows these conventions - even if you're new to the company, industry or profession. Otherwise, you end up flagging to the recruiter or employer that you don't have a clue about the position you're applying for (let alone have the qualifications to do it), and you almost certainly won't get the interview.
Okay, so there you have the 5 critical keys to writing a resume that gets you the job interview. I encourage you to apply these whenever you apply for a job, whether or not you write your own resume, hire a professional resume writer, or use some kind of software or template to prepare your resume.
Of course, that begs the question: what's the best way to get a resume that gets you the job interview? Well, as indicated above, you have a number of choices. Here at Resume Writing Pro we strongly recommend you consider our professional resume writing services. After all, there's no risk to you (with our money back guarantee) and you get to relax while someone else puts in the time and effort necessary to bring your resume up to the high quality standard it needs to be.

(1) (Reply)

I Am In Dire Need Of Financial Help / Nigerian British Girl Dies After Buttock-enhancing Surgery / Air Force Dssc Past Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.