Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,283 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland (1893 Views)

One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far / To All The Programmers In The House, I've Got A Question, Please Don't Ignore � / I've Started Learning Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by Lamzzyy(m): 1:04am On Dec 23, 2017
Money: Most developers on nairaland don't care about anything but money when someone make a post, people start commenting 50k and were up and ready just like that? what'sapp me for affordable price and all.. Its not helping.

Fake dev's: Fake developers everywhere it has gotten so bad that someone who doesn't know a thing about computer, will tell you whatsapp me am good in PhP, Swift, Java, Css, Python and all basically, the fake dev's are already gaining more attention than the real dev's

I can do it all: Basically this goes to young developers who just take a 3 month course, and start craving for money giving low price for trash work and later run away leaving one stranded.

Ignoring ideas: facebook started with a plan no one knew it would be this successful same as 2go, whatsapp, and all. Developers ignore ideas that can be of help to both parties if app or site turn out to be successful facebook, was created by group of friends so why not work on the idea brought by someone and strike a deal then when everything turns good, Both party wins.. I've come to take not that ideas about sites and apps don't usually come from developers, but people who arn't don't forget chris hughes a student of art was the key man in bringing ideas, and features, facebook.....

Thank you.....

6 Likes

Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by francollimasso: 11:13am On Dec 24, 2017
Lamzzyy:
Money: Most developers on nairaland don't care about anything but money when someone make a post, people start commenting 50k and were up and ready just like that? what'sapp me for affordable price and all.. Its not helping.

Fake dev's: Fake developers everywhere it has gotten so bad that someone who doesn't know a thing about computer, will tell you whatsapp me am good in PhP, Swift, Java, Css, Python and all basically, the fake dev's are already gaining more attention than the real dev's

I can do it all: Basically this goes to young developers who just take a 3 month course, and start craving for money giving low price for trash work and later run away leaving one stranded.

Ignoring ideas: facebook started with a plan no one knew it would be this successful same as 2go, whatsapp, and all. Developers ignore ideas that can be of help to both parties if app or site turn out to be successful facebook, was created by group of friends so why not work on the idea brought by someone and strike a deal then when everything turns good, Both party wins.. I've come to take not that ideas about sites and apps don't usually come from developers, but people who arn't don't forget chris hughes a student of art was the key man in bringing ideas, and features, facebook.....

Thank you.....
you know that nairaland is a faceless forum, but to be candid most good developers on nairaland are busy building, they don't have time for arguments, but don't be discouraged by the fake dev., those who are interested in Ponzi scheme, those selling scripts, etc

3 Likes

Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by bet9ja(m): 10:39pm On Dec 24, 2017
Lamzzyy:

Thank you.....

Every serious developer must have a portfolio, before dealing with any dev, request for their portfolio and if not convinced, pay them for a wire-framing of your idea project.

1 Like

Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 25, 2017
bet9ja:

Every serious developer must have a portfolio, before dealing with any dev, request for their portfolio and if not convinced, pay them for a wire-framing of your idea project.

lol some of us don't have portfolio we can show, most of my jobs are now company owned so it's hard to say this is my work when esp NDA and most of my codes are backend so it's hard pointing to people what to look at, these days it's referral for me more.

5 Likes

Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by mcqwerty(m): 12:39pm On Dec 25, 2017
Am gonna be frank with you on this one.
Nigerian Devs are motivated by money I agree. We don't really care much about your "big idea".

We build for you so you can get on with your business. It's on to the next project for us.
Don't try to make us partners and all that co-founder crap. It's such an old line. Doesn't work.

To protect yourself, you could ask for a wire frame or a prototype of your idea, but honestly not all who want software projects know what they are doing.

Chaps come up here and ask you "how much does it cost to build this and that app/project?" This questions are very naive. I know that 90 percent are just jokers. You cannot really estimate the total cost of a software project. You don't have to agree with my opinion on this.

Its better these sets of people stick to making regular websites which costs less than 50k.

So Nigerian devs are not the problem really, we have our faults. Project/ Idea owners need to have a real understanding of what they really want.

6 Likes

Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by Lamzzyy(m): 1:31pm On Dec 25, 2017
mcqwerty:
Nigerian Devs are motivated by money I agree. We don't really care much about your "big idea".

We build for you so you can get on with your business. It's on to the next project for us.
Don't try to make us partners and all that co-founder crap. It's such an old line. Doesn't work.

To protect yourself, you could ask for a wire frame or a prototype of your idea, but honestly not all who want software projects know what they are doing.

Chaps come up here and ask you "how much does it cost to build this and that app/project?" This questions are very naive. I know that 90 percent are just jokers. You cannot really estimate the total cost of a software project. You don't have to agree with my opinion on this.

Its better these sets of people stick to making regular websites which costs less than 50k.

So Nigerian devs are not the problem really, we have our faults. Project/ Idea owners need to have a real understanding of what they really want.

I get your point buh can you en lighting me more on the wire frame and the prototype of my idea thing.
Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by directonpc(m): 8:58pm On Dec 25, 2017
Nobody cares about your idea. Ideas are everywhere.
Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by Darey00(m): 9:58pm On Dec 25, 2017
mcqwerty:

I love this!!!

1 Like

Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by KingRabota: 12:45am On Dec 26, 2017
It's not just the devs it's a general nigerian problem. Get that money NOW!
With that mentality creativity and passion won't last long.
Some of us really would like to look at that your "great idea for the next BIG thing. But what prevents you from giving us the boot once you've gotten what you need?

And besides we all live in this SHITHOUSE called a country. Our family's have to eat and we have bills to pay , lots of them.
So I have to prioritise.

Google used to have a policy wherein it's engineers spent 20% of their time on projects other than their primary google assignments, but we all know that they have a very well maintained social support network.
So my brother as you can see n life is good when you got so much money in your pocket.
Problem is how u gonna make the money ?

2 Likes

Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by CodeTemplar: 2:16am On Dec 26, 2017
Lamzzyy:
I get your point buh can you en lighting me more on the wire frame and the prototype of my idea thing.
WireFraming entails drafting a visual layout or appearance of an intended design.
Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by AbiZeus: 2:59am On Dec 26, 2017
What I am really tired of is building d clone of something....I just get turn off from it becos dey are building something dey see BT not the implementation
Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by designVATExcel: 10:27am On Dec 26, 2017
Well said.

The trend is extremely frustrating. Folks just read 1 ebook, they don't even finish it oh but acclaim themselves professional developers, particularly web development.
Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by trytillmake(m): 2:34pm On Dec 26, 2017
directonpc:
Nobody cares about your idea. Ideas are everywhere.

NAH, Ideas AINT everywhere,an idea that is worth it, u will know when the concept is laid out.So think, build and sell.

1 Like

Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by directonpc(m): 2:46pm On Dec 26, 2017
trytillmake:

NAH, Ideas AINT everywhere,an idea that is worth it, u will know when the concept is laid out.So think, build and sell.
here is the kind of ideas some of us will want to work on.

Mr x has an idea for an app, he has enough resources to kickoff the project but needs a technical Co-founder that will code the app.

A good idea and a great product can still fail.
Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by olamil34(m): 6:01pm On Dec 26, 2017
It always start with 'i have a brilliant app idea and i want you to have 5% of the company and i will keep 95%'

1 Like

Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by Chinedumagnus05(m): 7:38pm On Nov 29, 2020
Dis is a post I made ind past somewhere on this naira land;

"My guy! What you are saying is your opinion. someone might legitimately Develope an app for N50k or for nothing. It's a matter of choice, I have developed two apps for people for free, the latest which i just finished being a vetinary store app. He's my friend and I charged him only on the 3rd part of the project. Sometimes you just have to be humble, your little good jobs will fetch you job worth millions in the future. Most fellow developer have got to kill pride. Do pro bono services sometimes and help people that obviously need help".

Chinedu.
Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by talk2hb1(m): 8:04pm On Nov 29, 2020
Abeg how do I collect money from foreign client, I want to use upwork contract before but their exchange rate is 235/295 which doesn't make sense despite the fact that they will charge some % of the transaction and another $0.99 to transfer to bank directly.
Any suggestion is welcome
Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by Karleb(m): 8:26pm On Nov 29, 2020
talk2hb1:
Abeg how do I collect money from foreign client, I want to use upwork contract before but their exchange rate is 235/295 which doesn't make sense despite the fact that they will charge some % of the transaction and another $0.99 to transfer to bank directly.
Any suggestion is welcome

Checkout exchangers in business section.
Re: Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland by talk2hb1(m): 8:08am On Nov 30, 2020
Karleb:

Checkout exchangers in business section.
Merci, j'apprécie vraiment ça!

(1) (Reply)

Building Game Is One of The Things I Enjoy / Job Prospects For A Junior Developer In Nigeria / Helepimi Solve This Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.