Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,169 members, 7,780,195 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:42 AM

OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab (29130 Views)

Ruling On Muslim Working In An Interest-based Bank / Ibadan School Asks Muslim Students To Remove Hijab (Photos) / Ghana Female Muslim Students Twerk To ‘One Corner’, To Be Punished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by bolaji73(m): 9:58am On Dec 23, 2017
NOW, EXPECTEDLY, AND ARISING FROM FIRDAOS AMASA THE BRAVE GIRL, ISSUES ARE BEGINNING TO ARISE ONE AFTER THE OTHER.

WELCOME TO OAU, IFE.

Background:

Our dear father in OAU, Professor Durosinmi of the Hematology Department, OAU, posted the NSCIA Press Release on the ASUU WhatsApp page two days ago, and members started insulting him as posting religious material on a page meant for union matters, whereas there have been several xtian postings including prayers, preachings and Christmas Carol and the Trump Speech wishing Americans a merry Xmas and new year on the same ASUU page. None of us criticised them.

HAPPY READING.

My dear colleagues, the comments on my posting of Tuesday, 20 have been very revealing and very entertaining. Regrettably however, some of them, with due respect, would suggest that we have lost our cherished ethical, spiritual and moral values. The posting was placed on the platform in the first instance, because some elements in our University were part of the oppressors under review.

It was not to preaching to anybody, the plight of victims of injustice. The ASUU I joined in 1986 will fight injustice, with no reference to the religious beliefs of the victims.

I could not understand why people should be disturbed because a Muslim girl wears hijab, which Catholic women have always been using, in recognition of the practice of Mary, mother of Jesus(Peace on them both). I have never seen any picture of Mary (PBOH) without her veil, neither have I heard or read of any sane person asking a Catholic nun to take off her head wear in any public institution.

1. My first experience of the harassment of Muslim student on Hijab in our University was in 1990, when the then Miss Sururah Waheed was denied University Identity card because she was on hijab! As expected, her colleagues in MSSN gave full support with peaceful protests. The card was issued. The lady, now Dr. S. Bello, PhD, is a Senior Lecturer in the department of Computer Sciences. Interestingly, Dr. Bello was employed along with two other ladies on hijab by the Most Revd (Prof) Adebayo D. Akinde (Rtd), when he was in the University. Prof. Akinde, the retired Bishop of a Cathedral Church in Lagos State. Dr. Bello was never asked to remove her hijab for the job. That was the type of ASUU I met.

2. With resolution of Dr. Bello's case, we thought OAU Muslim Students are now free from oppression, especially that the University COUNCIL approved Dress Code for all students in March, 2002 and our College accepted the code in February 2005, including the 'white shoulder length hijab' approved for Nurses by the Nursing council of Nigeria.

Unfortunately, in 2013, Six Hijab wearing Muslim female final year students were denied practical exposure at the SDA hospital, Ile-Ife for refusing to remove their head wears. and were unable to write the examination at the same time with their colleagues. Our intervention was not helpful, it was emotionally devastating to the students.

The following year in 2014, when examinations were held in the department for another set, students on hijab, Eight in all, were still prevented from writing their papers for the same ignoble reason. The students had to seek help of their parents and other organisations, the case was externalised , hell was let loose, various faith-based organisations devoped interest in the case, and security organisations invaded the university. The department gave in at last, but the university was thoroughly embarrassed.

Yet the lecturers perpetrating these evils are parents, do they not remember the Law of retributive justice?

3. Since 1997 or so, the University has directed all academic departments to make Friday Afternoon between 12 noon and 3pm free of all academic activities to allow Muslims observe Jumuah Service. The Time Table Committee was also directed to respect the sanctity of Fridays. However, many of our colleagues would still disregard the directive. Our students are regularly provoked when examinations are fixed for Friday afternoons. As early as August this year, a department in the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences fixed examination for Friday, however, the Provost stopped the examination.

It is this gross indiscipline and disrespect for University Laws that continue to disturb some of us. Descent Academics are not to oppress their students, but protect them, as they would their on children.

4. Another note worthy Injustice against a Female Muslim Nurse was her dismissal by the National orthopaedic hospital Igbobi In April 2016 because she put on the Nursing Council Approved Hijab. She was reinstated 6 months later in October 2016 by the Industrial Court, but she had to at home for 1 year before the court-ordered recall ! However, the FMOH wrote just yesterday ordering management of the hospital to discontinue the court case and settle out of court and ensure she does not lose her seniority.

It is brazen injustice like this that generated the index post. Is this how to serve God?

5. Peaceful coexistence requires mutual respect among the parties, what some of us have been observing is that any time the Muslims wish to revert the Injustice forced on them by the colonial rulers, our non-Muslim fellow Nigerians put up tough resistance, forgetting that we are equal stakeholders to the survival of the system.
I could remember the response of a one time commissioner in Oyo State under Chief Bola Ige of blessed memory, late Chief Adewale Thompson, to the demand of the Muslim Judges that they be allowed to go to the central mosque instead of the church for the annual opening of the Legal year. Chief Thompson rejected the request because the tradition was to open the year in church and that 'Tradition never change!' The rest is history.

It was also the tradition for American Blacks to stand up and gave their seats to the American Whites until the nonconformist Rosa Park, a visionary Black lady decided to end the humiliating and dehumanising law.
6. In a badly governed country like ours, where impunity reigns supreme, people need to rescue themselves from oppressing tendencies. We need such nonconformists from time to time, otherwise the weak will always be disadvantaged.
7. The posting under reference is expressing the bitterness of a group to apparent Injustice being meted to their children, wards by fellow citizens, because they do not share the same faith. Our responsibility as Academics, is to study the essay and proffer solutions. If their complaints are not justly addressed, we are sitting on a keg of gun powder.

I noticed that none of the commentators disputed the facts stated in the protest post.

8. It is a shame that the two major religions in our country are the most unpatriotic. Our University is a typical example. That is why we are in this deplorable mess: we steal in the name of God, we cheat in the name of God, we exploit the weak in the name of God, we rig elections in the name of God, and we falsify census figures in the name of God.

9. Let us help our country by adhering to the fundamental tenets of our faiths as here quoted: Jesus (PBOH) says"Do to others as you would have them do to you, Luke 6: 31", while the Qur’an 5:8 says "...... and never let hatred of any one lead you into the sin of Deviating from Justice....."

You would not expect apologies from victims of injustice. Have a great Xmas.

65 Likes 14 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by BetaThings: 7:44pm On Dec 24, 2017
bolaji73:

Our dear father in OAU, Professor Durosinmi of the Hematology Department, OAU, posted the NSCIA Press Release on the ASUU WhatsApp page two days ago, and members started insulting him as posting religious material on a page meant for union matters, whereas there have been several xtian postings including prayers, preachings and Christmas Carol and the Trump Speech wishing Americans a merry Xmas and new year on the same ASUU page. None of us criticised them.

Double face is not new

bolaji73:
I could not understand why people should be disturbed because a Muslim girl wears hijab, which Catholic women have always been using, in recognition of the practice of Mary, mother of Jesus(Peace on them both). I have never seen any picture of Mary (PBOH) without her veil, neither have I heard or read of any sane person asking a Catholic nun to take off her head wear in any public institution.

Christians believe in one man, one woman and, similarly, one country, one religion (Christianity)
All the posturing about secularity of Nigeria is just that - posturing

My first experience of the harassment of Muslim student on Hijab in our University was in 1990, when the then Miss Sururah Waheed was denied University Identity card because she was on hijab! As expected, her colleagues in MSSN gave full support with peaceful protests. The card was issued. The lady, now Dr. S. Bello, PhD, is a Senior Lecturer in the department of Computer Sciences. Interestingly, Dr. Bello was employed along with two other ladies on hijab by the Most Revd (Prof) Adebayo D. Akinde (Rtd), when he was in the University. Prof. Akinde, the retired Bishop of a Cathedral Church in Lagos State. Dr. Bello was never asked to remove her hijab for the job. That was the type of ASUU I met.

Can any Christian now convince me that Dr Bello's use of Hijab has now turned her into an extremist or tainted the excellent academic standards of OAU?

another set, students on hijab, Eight in all, were still prevented from writing their papers for the same ignoble reason. The students had to seek help of their parents and other organisations, the case was externalised , hell was let loose, various faith-based organisations devoped interest in the case, and security organisations invaded the university. The department gave in at last, but the university was thoroughly embarrassed.

Now we have proof that the wearing of Hijab does not hinder anything in the university

Our students are regularly provoked when examinations are fixed for Friday afternoons. As early as August this year, a department in the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences fixed examination for Friday, however, the Provost stopped the examination.

Yet Christians can spend their entire Saturday and Sunday in Church
And they talk about Islamization

I could remember the response of a one time commissioner in Oyo State under Chief Bola Ige of blessed memory, late Chief Adewale Thompson, to the demand of the Muslim Judges that they be allowed to go to the central mosque instead of the church for the annual opening of the Legal year. Chief Thompson rejected the request because the tradition was to open the year in church and that 'Tradition never change!' The rest is history.

The tradition in Nigeria was for government workers to come to work on Saturdays
Gowon changed that and increased the number of hours worked on Mon-Fri
That is islamization, isn't it?

It was the tradition to drive on the right hand side of the road, we changed it in 1972, did we not?

I noticed that none of the commentators disputed the facts stated in the protest post.

They never do. Their objection is fueled by abnormal hatred for Islam and they call their religion Christian love

"Do to others as you would have them do to you, Luke 6: 31",
"...... and never let hatred of any one lead you into the sin of Deviating from Justice....."Qur’an 5:8

Will they not ponder and change?

By the way they no longer see beard as a weird or ugly since it has become a fashion
Unlike when it was a near Muslim-only thing a few years back
Nobody sees anything wrong in Michael Jackson's trouser that did not reach the ankles, when a Muslim wears a trouser like that......

I ask my Christian friends who preaches to me, do you want me to convert and become intolerant like you? If, as a Muslim, I don't have issues with the dressing of nuns, why would I like to become a Christian and start objecting to the dressing of Hijabites?

89 Likes 16 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by Rashduct4luv(m): 7:34am On Dec 25, 2017
haven't you seen many public places decorated for Christmas? Courts, government offices, etc.

Nigeria is only secular when it's about Muslims' rights.

72 Likes 9 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by usba: 8:23am On Dec 25, 2017
nairaland should be part of the solution by pushing this to the front-page.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by Empiree: 8:46pm On Dec 25, 2017
Those people are hypocrites. I knew they would decorate govt offices. Why is there no outcry. This is why no matter how a muslim dislikes hijab, he/she MUST support muslims in cases like this for Allah's sake and His messanger. Some muslims said we shouldn't make big deal out of hijab thing, but you can't always let them have their way. Hijab is not their bigger plan. Their bigger plan is to eradicate islam altogether.

The earlier you cut their wing short the better. I wonder why they aren't shouting secularism now. And i think you guys should post picture of streets, court, govt offices they decorated

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by Rashield8: 9:19am On Dec 29, 2017
I've noticed, and I'm seriously concerned that there's a rise in the number of Muslims in the South West with extremist views and tendencies. My observation is not only in reference to this hijab issue, but also as a result of what I've observed in recent times.

In our Yorubaland, there's an unwritten rule that we are brothers and sisters-regardless of religion. For instance, there's an equal proportion of Muslims, Christians and pagans in my family and town. Yet, we all live together in extreme harmony.

But it appears that there's a growing number of people who are trying to replicate the Northern ethnically jaundiced 'brand' of Islam in Yorubaland. I will try and open a thread about this before the end of the year.

Regarding the Law school hijab issue, my position is that Firdaus erred. Call me whatever, I don't care! Doesn't Islam say we should obey the laws of the land? I know that you may want to argue that one is allowed to disobey if it violates God's law. But the question is: is it haram not to wear hijab? The basic answer is that nobody can say with certainty that not wearing hijab is a sin. I repeat-Nobody! In fact, hijab has so much to do with culture & the Arab tradition than the religion itself!

The sister just wants to be an overnight activist. The law school is governed by laws and rules which everyone-regardless of religion must follow. If she had been allowed, Sango worshippers must also be allowed to plait their hairs while Catholic nuns and priests can't be stopped from wearing their garments to the Call to Bar ceremony. What is good for the goose is good for the gander!

Let's stop all these extremist views joor! The sister can freely wear her hijab in Sharia courts. Nobody will disturb her there.

151 Likes 27 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by Ifeconwaba(m): 9:23am On Dec 29, 2017
r
Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by Coitus: 9:25am On Dec 29, 2017
lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, I throw Maggi for woman yansh

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by ivolt: 9:25am On Dec 29, 2017
Shior
Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by Akkord4gov: 9:26am On Dec 29, 2017
U see the different when a Professor writes. this is informative,easier to read and understood even to those who have been blinded by their hatred for hijab. With this great piece,I'm sure non Muslims with common sense will agree that putting on hijab is just our way of life and not only Muslim way of life but also Mary the mother of Jesus.

Islam has faced alot of discrimination,they fight us in silence but when we speak,they call us terrorist. We aren't asking for much,we are just asking for the freedom of using our hijab. If athletes in Olympics can conveniently wear hijab and perform well,then hijab will never reduce the performance of anyone in any profession.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by QuietHammer(m): 9:27am On Dec 29, 2017
A black female Muslim. Hahahahahahahahahahahah grin No greater joke than this grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by personal59: 9:30am On Dec 29, 2017
Rashduct4luv:
haven't you seen many public places decorated for Christmas? Courts, government offices, etc.

you took this away from me

its sickening

brother I mean am about saying the same thing

16 Likes

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by usba: 9:30am On Dec 29, 2017
The SD thing is they think they can deprive Muslims of their rights while dubiously abusing secularity, we have a lot of hypocrites whose only reason for not beating up their Muslim neighbor is because of their cowardice.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by TerrorSquad147: 9:31am On Dec 29, 2017
Empiree:
Those people are hypocrites. I knew they would decorate govt offices. Why is there no outcry. This is why no matter how a muslim dislikes hijab, he/she MUST support muslims in cases like this for Allah's sake and His messanger. Some muslims said we shouldn't make big deal out of hijab thing, but you can't always let them have their way. Hijab is not their bigger plan. Their bigger plan is to eradicate islam altogether.

The earlier you cut their wing short the better. I wonder why they aren't shouting secularism now. And i think you guys should post picture of streets, court, govt offices they decorated

why didn't the Muslims decorate everywhere with anything that symbolizes their own feasts abi did anyone tell them not to?? You guys are bloody hypocrites and trouble makers and I bet you that the trouble y'all are looking for you'll get.

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by pentax(m): 9:31am On Dec 29, 2017
Iranu, what do u guys want?

7 Likes

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by lastdonib: 9:32am On Dec 29, 2017
the issue of secularism is mostly raised in Nigeria when Islam is involved and that usually leave me dumbfounded.. nevertheless I feel the Muslims need to be true to themselves..
the issue of secularism is mostly raised in Nigeria when Islam is involved and that usually leave me dumbfounded.. nevertheless I feel the Muslims need to be true to themselves..

3 Likes

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by personal59: 9:33am On Dec 29, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
why didn't the Muslims decorate everywhere with anything that symbolizes their own feasts abi did anyone tell them not to?? You guys are bloody hypocrites and trouble makers and I bet you that the trouble y'all are looking for you'll get.

see u when the hijab that is a major dressing in Islam with Allah command is giving u guys problem

no body want problem more than the Christians
no one create chaos and disorder and still cry out of cheating than the Christians cos they are mostly hypocrite

I always wonder y u guys shout when Muslim want there lifestyle for themselves

they want interest free account u are shouting without them asking for scrapping of interest base one

they want to use hijab and not that they order u idiots to use too u still shout nd cry

please what did I guys want haba

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by Quality20(m): 9:37am On Dec 29, 2017
These CAN ppl and xtians only wish to see muslims who don't look like muslims and muslims who don't practise the religion and muslims who are not proud of their faith, but feel inferior - muslims who would openly commit heinous sins and crimes like opening beer parlours, brothels and clergies who would be sleeping around with both single and married ladies. In short, they wanna dictate to us how we should practise our faith, they wish to kill d spirit in our religion d same same way European countries did to Christianity during the renaissance period

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by TerrorSquad147: 9:38am On Dec 29, 2017
personal59:

see u when the hijab that is a major dressing in Islam with a Allah command is giving u guys problem
which Allah?? Don't get me angry because your religion isn't the only one that exists okay. Go and tell those rich Hausa Muslims that Allah commanded them to wear hijab. Bloody hypocrites!!

14 Likes

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by kayodekb: 9:38am On Dec 29, 2017
some Christians just have that unapologetic hatred for Islam... NO MATTER HOW THEY TRY TO BRING DOWN ISLAM, IT WILL CONTINUE TO ROAR HIGHER INSHA ALLAH

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by Sabotage4700(m): 9:38am On Dec 29, 2017
Let's live together in peace and harmony.... Forget religious and tribal differences. Abeg Nigerians Biko!

3 Likes

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by ivolt: 9:39am On Dec 29, 2017
Empiree:

Rashduct4luv:

Post pictures of Sharia countries which decorate public places during Eid.
You won't find such decorations anywhere because Islam is a conservative
religion which frowns upon such displays.
I am yet to see an Eid dancing or singing competition, I am sure you know why.
Which of your cleric will allow their wives and daughters to attend such "sinful" gathering?

Nigeria is a secular(check the meaning) country, I have seen no other religious group
trying to force their religious symbolism on others except the Muslims. China despite
being an ultra-secular country celebrates christmas more than Europeans.

But if you think such decorations are out of place write your reps and governors so they stop
allowing such displays.

NBA is not a public space, whenever you are not comfortable with a voluntary organizations rule,
stay away from them.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by personal59: 9:41am On Dec 29, 2017
adolfHitler1934:
This religion is too wahalaful!

If it is not Hijab,it is the right to occupy public building and major road to pray.

Is this how this same religion is practiced in the middle East or is it just in Nigeria here.

I don't know why Adolf Hitler spared you people sef.

He should have given you the same Jewish treatment.

Religion of ...(no be for my mouth)

Hail Hitler!

you need to be more truthful to urself cos I wonder y u are dying cos of another man's headache cos u are not forced to wear the hijab, u are not force to use a non interest filled bank so why are u sick?

7 Likes

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by mamachizzy(f): 9:42am On Dec 29, 2017
if u wanna make decorations during ur own feast/ celebration, I believe nobody will stop u.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by ShekauBuhari: 9:43am On Dec 29, 2017
Professor with no sense .......

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by Pavore9: 9:43am On Dec 29, 2017
Quality20:
These CAN ppl and xtians only wish to see muslims who don't look like muslims and muslims who don't practise the religion and muslims who are not proud of their faith, but feel inferior - muslims who would openly commit heinous sins and crimes like opening beer parlours, brothels and clergies who would be sleeping around with both single and married ladies. In short, they wanna dictate to us how we should practise our faith, they wish to kill d spirit in our religion d same same way European countries did to Christianity during the renaissance period

Is not hypocrisy that Sharia practicing states in the North shares from VAT accruing from alcohol?

Promiscuity is not exclusive to any religion. There are Pastors, Imams and leaders of other religions beliefs who are so soaked in that lifestyle.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by personal59: 9:44am On Dec 29, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
which Allah?? Don't get me angry because your religion isn't the only one that exists okay. Go and tell those rich Hausa Muslims that Allah commanded them to wear hijab. Bloody hypocrites!!

that's y we are Muslim and not blindfolded by our leaders or the rich like the xtian do

what's my business with how Hausa brought up their child in terms of religion aspect

we follow Allah injunction not the rich, poor or the so called muslim leaders

we are who we are
we are Muslim
Quran is our guide
sunnah is our path

15 Likes

Re: OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab by erad(m): 9:44am On Dec 29, 2017
For the record, I’m not religious and if there’s any religion that disgusts me more than Christianity, it’s probably modern Christianity...

With that said, I really wasn’t expecting such write up from an intellectual, let alone someone impacting knowledge into others.

The reference to the catholic nuns is totally out of place because they have the sense to respect institutional laws and do away with their head covers where and when necessary.

Christians discriminate, muslims do as well. Just because you can’t have your way on a larger scale doesn’t mean you should start running senile.

The Quran talks about covering, not specifically with an hijab. An hijab is more of an arabic thing than an islamic thing, so why not adjust your covering to be tolerant with where you find yourself rather than trying to whip up sentimental support for your efforts to turn everything upside.

This dude even brought black oppression into the equation, like seriously? By the way, he needs to brush up on his history, Rosa parks wasn’t the first to refuse to give up her seat for a white person, a couple of people did it before her. She was just the one to get the publicity.

Religion isn’t meant to be taken hook, line and sinker. Take the essence of it and apply it to your environment. It’s senseless taking someone’s religion and culture all together, it’s hard to believe intellectuals practice this religion at all. This is common sense.

And they need to stop referring to colonial rubbish. The same way most of our practices were passed down by the English is the same way religious practices were also passed down. In actual fact, we are all practicing what isn’t ours.

And finally, y’all need to stop the victim mentality. And I’m referring to all religions. Y’all have destroyed too much trying to be superior to one another. Y’all have even lost the essence of your existence.

GROW UP please.

21 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Happy Islamic New Year 1436 AH To All Muslims / Why Muslims Should Never Have To Apologize For Terrorism - By Omar Alnatour / Sex Was Created For Three Basic Purposes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.