Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,513 members, 7,808,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? (2656 Views)

Is This Enough Reason To Send My Niece Back To The Village? / I do not feel loved by my wife, Is this enough reason to quit my marriage? / Is This Not Enough Reason To Divorce Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by spv1: 12:12pm On Dec 23, 2017
IS LOVE ENOUGH REASON FOR MARRIAGE?
I am sure you have probably heard your parents or at least one couple, say "I REGRETTED EVER MARRYING YOU" but my question is, were they ever in love? The answer is obviously "yes" so how did they get to the point of regret
Like in the movies, the beautiful Juliet wants to marry the handsome Romeo, why you may ask, because they are crazy in love.
Right now a lot of couples that once said " I would walk a thousand miles for you" and who gave poetic oxymoron like " I WOULD CLIMB 7 MOUNTAINS AND SWIM 7 SEAS FOR YOU " and "I WOULD CATCH A GRENADE FOR YOU " are at the verge of breaking apart and the grenade called "REALITY" is about to explode right before their eyes.
I recently came across a shocking report, it revealed that 1 out of every 2 marriages in America ends up in a divorce, that's 50% of every marriage will end in a divorce.
So my dear, the fact that your love is a strong as " Prince Charming and Cinderella" doesn't mean it will end happily ever after.
Love is not a good enough reason for marriage, the feeling and tingly effect of liking someone or having feelings for them will wear off with time especially when you are married. Marriage is more than just feelings, marriage involves a lot and marriage needs to be built on a strong foundation, feelings and emotions is not strong enough for your marriage to be built on.
Any marriage built on feelings alone is a big crash waiting to happen!
Don't just walk down the aisle with someone just because you have feelings for each other, don't let movies deceive you. Before you get married, seek counsel and approach it with wisdom and don't rush in it. Marry for attitude and character not just love, and I am sure you will be having a "happily ever after" marriage.
Next i'd be talking on" WHY LOVE DIES".
if you are having any issues in your relationship or marriage and need help contact me at " livingtheunlimitedlife@gmail.com" or message me on facebook @ livingtheunlimitedlife.
Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 26, 2017
this will depend on your definition of love
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by sisisioge: 3:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
plavic:
this will depend on your definition of love

Hmmm...love is caring enough for another to go all the way for them....Caring enough to take care of yourself and everything they love for the sake of their happiness grin.

Love is holding on to the hand of another without letting go even if it means you both capsize...love is finding strength in the eyes of another.

grin grin grin Love is your family o...e go hard small to find this in someone unrelated by blood.

2 Likes

Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by KanwuliaExtra: 3:49pm On Dec 26, 2017
Absolutely not.
Ask Romeo and Juliet.

Or Tony and Maria(West Side Story).
Don’t even bother to look in the Bible or the Koran. kiss

You only need a lot of common sense, COMMITTMENT, hard work and FRIENDSHIP.

You must LIKE your spouse(meaning you have to TOLERATE and minimize weaknesses and SUPPORT and celebrate strengths) kiss

7 Likes

Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Dec 26, 2017
sisisioge:

Hmmm...love is caring enough for another to go all the way for them....Caring enough to take care of yourself and everything they love for the sake of their happiness grin.

Love is holding on to the hand of another without letting go even if it means you both capsize...love is finding strength in the eyes of another.

grin grin grin Love is your family o...e go hard small to find this in someone unrelated by blood.
You've said it all. Love is sacrifice and the greatest kind of sacrifice is that which is unto death. .
There's a story of a couple who were overtaken by highway armed robbers. . The man was given a gun to shoot his wife and live. He refused saying, "I love my wife and I can't live without her." The wife was later given the same gun and was threatened to shoot her husband or be shot. . She gave in and pulled the trigger in the face of her extremely petrified husband. . . No bullet came out. It was empty. . .
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by staymore: 7:49pm On Dec 26, 2017
Marriage is more of tolerance and respect than love. At some point in time you forget entirely how your spouse is beautiful or handsome.

2 Likes

Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Blazing8(m): 8:18pm On Dec 27, 2017
I don't really think the topic Is clear... I think love should be enough reason for marriage ...now not just any how love but the agape kind of love ... the unconditional love. A feeling of attraction towards someone should not be a base for marriage...
staymore:
Marriage is more of tolerance and respect than love. At some point in time you forget entirely how your spouse is beautiful or handsome.
staymore:
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Tweak(m): 10:51pm On Dec 27, 2017
Nice piece.
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by tuscani: 11:10pm On Dec 27, 2017
Nooooooooooooo
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Zither(m): 5:58am On Dec 28, 2017
Blazing8:
I don't really think the topic Is clear... I think love should be enough reason for marriage ...now not just any how love but the agape kind of love ... the unconditional love. A feeling of attraction towards someone should not be a base for marriage...

You don't understand. Op is talking about the eros kind of love, the romantic type, the love at first sight. That is his perspective of discussion.

Agape love does not spark attraction between opposites. It is not the kind of love 'that makes you fall head over heels' with someone. Neither Agape nor eros should guide you in choosing a life partner but agape is extremely mandatory in living with a partner because the eros love, which is naturally temporary and deceitful and blind, fades like a fog after a short time so that when reality sets in and 'love' quenches, agape is the only kind of love that keeps the marriage going because it is not blind, but committed to the other person's welfare.

You are right in your last sentence which echoes the theme of the Op's post. Eros love is not enough to make a commitment to tie the nuptial knot with someone but a little dose of it is necessary at the least.

Girls, stop being deceived by movies. No such thing as love at first sight. You don't know the person's history or background or qualities, you don't know if you're compatible with them. You don't know anything. You gamble away your future and happiness on a mere useless feeling that is notorious for its constant changes. You leap into a sinking boat of love so-called and drown in regrets and sorrows. You look at the romantic misfortune of other girls and think you're a better player, but, dear, if you don't invite God to help you choose a life partner you are only one step from realizing you are a worse player.

3 Likes

Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Richy4(m): 6:48am On Dec 28, 2017
sisisioge:

U must Apply for the post of commissioner for love and Happiness Lagos state chapter..the way u explained this, assuming you were from Imo State, the position would have been yours cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 28, 2017
Richy4:

U must Apply for the post of commissioner for love and Happiness Lagos state chapter..the way u explained this, assuming you were from Imo State, the position would have been yours cheesy

Bro, I think sisisioge likes you. Why not slide into her dm lipsrsealed
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by sisisioge: 2:00pm On Dec 28, 2017
Esteemboy:

Bro, I think sisisioge likes you. Why not slide into her dm lipsrsealed

Hmmm...am I that so obvious? I think he's cool tongue He's one of my NL crushes grin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by ImaIma1(f): 5:49pm On Dec 28, 2017
Love is not enough. My friend is less than a year in marriage and they are already talking of regrets.
Marriage needs respect,good communication,understanding, empathy,unity, looking out for each other, caring about the well being of your spouse, being creative, thoughtful...a whole lot. Love is a good place to start from and build on though.
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 28, 2017
ImaIma1:
Love is not enough. My friend is less than a year in marriage and they are already talking of regrets.
Marriage needs respect,good communication,understanding, empathy,unity, looking out for each other, caring about the well being of your spouse, being creative, thoughtful...a whole lot. Love is a good place to start from and build on though.

What is your definition of love?
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by EfemenaXY: 7:40pm On Dec 28, 2017
Marry for attitude and character not just love, and I am sure you will be having a "happily ever after" marriage.
Next i'd be talking on" WHY LOVE DIES".[/quote]

Really?

Explain the bolded pls.
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by ImaIma1(f): 10:21pm On Dec 28, 2017
plavic:

What is your definition of love?

I don't have one
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Blazing8(m): 10:38am On Dec 29, 2017
EfemenaXY:
Marry for attitude and character not just love, and I am sure you will be having a "happily ever after" marriage.
Next i'd be talking on" WHY LOVE DIES".

Really?

Explain the bolded pls.

What he means is that you should marry for the things that are within and not the things that are on the surface (I.e beauty ) , because the things on the surface would eventually wither away... this is the reason for many divorce, people are carried away by the outward appearance and forget that time reveals the true nature of a person...
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by fav444(f): 5:40pm On Dec 29, 2017
Love alone can not sustain marriage but it is an indispensable ingredient in marriage.

Good Marriage is a product of a mixture of RESPECT, love, sacrifice, understanding, good communication and selflessness.
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Diamond23(f): 8:24pm On Dec 29, 2017
[color=#770077][/color]No because patience and endurance r missing
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by EfemenaXY: 8:58pm On Dec 29, 2017
Blazing8:

What he means is that you should marry for the things that are within and not the things that are on the surface (I.e beauty ) , because the things on the surface would eventually wither away... this is the reason for many divorce, people are carried away by the outward appearance and forget that time reveals the true nature of a person...

I don’t think so. Love is not something “on the surface that will eventually wither away...” and “love” is the @op’s bone of contention here, hence his substituting love for character and attitude which incidentally are out of context with respect to his write up.
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 30, 2017
no
Re: Is Love Enough Reason For Marriage? by Tyche(m): 7:44pm On Dec 30, 2017
Let me call Pocohantas before commenting

(1) (Reply)

The Flyer Distributor / My Second Husband Would Leave His Job To Pick Up My first husbandSon,Wake Me Up / The Child Is Autistic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.