Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,844 members, 7,798,827 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones (16600 Views)

Court Awards N5m To Ezuku Emmanuel Anenih Who Sued MTN For Illegal Deductions / Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones / Apple Sued For Slowing Down Older Iphones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by 3millionia: 3:53pm On Dec 23, 2017
APPLE IS BEING SUED IN NO FEWER THAN THREE FEDERAL COURTS AFTER THE COMPANY ADMITTED THIS WEEK TO INTENTIONALLY SLOWING DOWN OLDER MODEL IPHONES.
Attorneys filed class action complaints in federal courthouses in Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco on Thursday following revelations involving Apple’s newly disclosed practice of releasing iOS operating system updates that slow down iPhones with older batteries.

Apple acknowledged the practice earlier this week, spurring lawsuits brought on behalf of iPhone customer who claim they’ve been duped into buying new devices.

“Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components,” Apple said Wednesday.

“Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We’ve now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future,” Apple explained in a statement.

Apple users with slower iPhones can increase performance by replacing their old batteries with a fresh one, but customers allege the company’s lack of transparency on the topic prompted them to purchase new, expensive devices when they didn’t have to.

In Chicago, attorneys for five iPhone owners said potentially tens of thousands of similarly situated Apple customers purchased phones when they didn’t need to on account of the company’s “fraudulent scheme.”

“Apple’s iOS updates purposefully neglected to explain that its purposeful throttling down of older model devices and resulting lost or diminished operating performance could be remedied by replacing the batteries of these devices,” they alleged in the lawsuit. “Instead, Apple’s decision to purposefully slowdown or throttle down these devices was undertaken to fraudulently induce consumers to purchase the latest iPhone versions of the iPhone 7, as well as new phones such as the iPhone 8 and iPhone X.”

A similar lawsuit filed in Los Angeles federal court argued Apple breached an “implied contract” with its customers, and another filed in San Francisco accused of Apple of deliberately misleading iPhone owners.

https:///p9scNA-1d

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 23, 2017
Apple had it coming...

14 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by 3millionia: 10:55pm On Dec 23, 2017
adeboyewareez:
Apple had it coming...

1 Like

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by abdulaz: 11:49pm On Dec 23, 2017
I haven’t experienced any slowdown of apps on my 7 Plus, but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed. Just had the new update 11.2.1 few days back.
Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Nobody: 1:18am On Dec 24, 2017
abdulaz:
I haven’t experienced any slowdown of apps on my 7 Plus, but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed. Just had the new update 11.2.1 few days back.

7 plus is just last year bro, my 5s became unusable after updating to iOS 10 I had to reset it and sell. People with iPhone 6 are ready starting to experience the slow.

But on another note, the guys at everythingapplepro carreid out a research and found out that once ur battery starts to lose charge ur iPhone slows down in other to sustain ur battery life. Like on the iPhone 6 when battery starts degrading, the phone shuts down around 20-30% and apple fixed that by throttling older devices so they can stay longer but device will be slow. So it's worth nothing that once ur device starts slowing down u might want to change ur battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkEN7rJMhFI

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by akeentech(m): 7:18am On Dec 24, 2017
Legal profession brings money more than any other profession in USA

16 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Primusinterpares(m): 7:19am On Dec 24, 2017
Seriously Because of Phone

2 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by tstx(m): 7:20am On Dec 24, 2017
Oyibo n lawsuits

1 Like

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Troublemaker007(m): 7:20am On Dec 24, 2017
abdulaz:

My iPhone 7 hangs a lot due to the last update and it’s making me scared of updating it to the current update. Why Apple dey wicked her customers like this embarassed

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 24, 2017
Android all the way.

46 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Kobicove(m): 7:21am On Dec 24, 2017
Admitting to slowing down older models of their phones does not necessarily mean it was done with malicious intent undecided

2 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Nobody: 7:22am On Dec 24, 2017
Will it reduce the price of fuel?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Wikinaija(m): 7:22am On Dec 24, 2017
Check the full news on link in bio
Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Smily202(m): 7:22am On Dec 24, 2017
greenhulk:

7 plus is just last year bro, my 5s became unusable after updating to iOS 10 I had to reset it and sell. People with iPhone 6 are ready starting to experience the slow.

But on another note, the guys at everythingapplepro carreid out a research and found out that once ur battery starts to lose charge ur iPhone slows down in other to sustain ur battery life. Like on the iPhone 6 when battery starts degrading, the phone shuts down stairs around 20-30% and apple fixed that by throttling older devices so they can stay longer but device will be slow. So it's worth nothing that once ur device starts slowing down u might want to change ur battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkEN7rJMhFI

Unbelievable !!! So this is what has been happening to my IPhone 5s after upgrading to IOs 10.1. THE phone start shutting down when the battery reaches 30% or so. I can't even on my data again to enjoy the damn phone cuz it will shut down immediately. I changed my battery ; 3weeks later the problem start again. I gotta upgrade to Iphone 7 to have peace of mind. Apple have duped me.

13 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Sunymoore(m): 7:22am On Dec 24, 2017
Nice.. Let's sue them for slowing NwaAmaipke's brain..

20 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by deco22(m): 7:23am On Dec 24, 2017
So apple is doing it intentionally,and here I was thinking my phone had a problem,they want to force me to buy the new iPhones.

Nah,i would rather buy Samsung galaxy.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by sobmos(m): 7:24am On Dec 24, 2017
I hate Apple at the same time I love it still. Bought my iPhone 6s for 308k last year August, before December dey don release 7 and 7plus, this year 8 and IPhone X. Haba! And the price is outrageous. What do you expect people with older models to do? Throw it away? So my 308k go enter voicemail like that? Lai lai! I’m suing them in federal high court Nigeria grin grin

19 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by abdulaz: 7:24am On Dec 24, 2017
Troublemaker007:

My iPhone 7 hangs a lot due to the last update and it’s making me scared of updating it to the current update. Why Apple dey wicked her customers like this embarassed

Me I don’t understand Apple again o. Though my 7 Plus battery still lasts me for 11 hours max, but no slowdown yet.

I pray make oluwa bless my hustle, by March I go switch to iPhone X sharperly.

4 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Phonefanatic: 7:26am On Dec 24, 2017
Where are those isheeps that claims iPhone is always fast?

3 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by royalamour(m): 7:27am On Dec 24, 2017
Corrupt people.
Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by usba: 7:27am On Dec 24, 2017
cheesy grin grin despite paying much they still get treated like trash.

14 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Troublemaker007(m): 7:28am On Dec 24, 2017
abdulaz:

Me I don’t understand Apple again o. Though my 7 Plus battery still lasts me for 11 hours max, but no slowdown yet.

I pray make oluwa bless my hustle, by March I go switch to iPhone X sharperly.

I ain’t buying that phone until it hits 300-350k. I bought my iPhone 7 380k Jan this year and my wife’s 7 Plus 450k! Na how much dem dey sell am now! No way. I ain’t buying any iPhone X until the price gets to at least 300-350k.
Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by EmmaLege: 7:29am On Dec 24, 2017
See gbege grin
Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by martineverest(m): 7:30am On Dec 24, 2017
Primusinterpares:
Seriously Because of Phone
educated illiterate spotted...... U obviously don't know ur right

5 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by NotComplaining: 7:30am On Dec 24, 2017
What do you expect when you buy a phone from a company of geniuses. Apples marketing team is run by the countrys best minds.

1 Like

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by abdulaz: 7:31am On Dec 24, 2017
Troublemaker007:

I ain’t buying that phone until it hits 300-350k. I bought my iPhone 7 380k Jan this year and my wife’s 7 Plus 450k! Na how much dem dey sell am now! No way. I ain’t buying any iPhone X until the price gets to at least 300-350k.

I understand your plight bro.
Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Badboiz(m): 7:35am On Dec 24, 2017
I use iOS 11.2.1 on my iPhone 7 and it isn’t slowing down here oooo.. Are you guys sure it’s not China you are using?

2 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by Nobody: 7:38am On Dec 24, 2017
If you don't reside in a country where Apple has outlets and plans in purchasing their phones, you are basically wasting money.

For the Nigerian environment, android, blackberry and perhaps windows mobile is the best.

3 Likes

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by AkpaMgbor(m): 7:42am On Dec 24, 2017
Troublemaker007:

You probably used updated via OTA? Try restoring the os via iTunes and setup as new, you will need at least 2.5gb of data shaa..but it will bring back your phone to a much fluid experience..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Sued By More Than Three Federal Courts For Slowing Older Iphones by femoboy(m): 7:46am On Dec 24, 2017
My iPhone5s is not slow but stopped working had to port to Iphone6 cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Finally How To Unbrick Any Hard Bricked Or Dead MTK Android Device / Check Out MTN Data Share Full Details / I Was Shocked With What I Saw Today!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.