Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,537 members, 7,801,507 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 - Travel (326) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (1159579 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 6 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (452) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by OmoBendel24: 12:23am On Aug 22, 2019
Beautyaddy:

I read and understood your initial post...but I still stand on my previous post that the Birth Certificate can still be completed as long as a child has been born...and before payment is completed. It doesn't just apply to Americans.

Let me give this a try. There's an accusation that Nigerians are using US Address on their kid's BCs in order to cut corners and get birthing bills reduced, I'm telling him and you that most Nigerians having this address issue PREPAID for services (mostly Doctor's fees, Facility fees, Epidural, etc) even on first appointment, before birthing and getting the said BCs that contains the US address. In essence, they are not billed "cheap" because of that US Address, it is rather for other reasons. So, how about those that did their registration and pre-payments of this cheap price all the way from Nigeria even before stepping on US soil and are yet denied at renewal, those ones planned to use the US address to cheat your system too, abi?

13 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by OmoBendel24: 12:32am On Aug 22, 2019
123JohnF:

Do you have a conscience at all accusing of fraud our hospitals? read yourself, the bolded below.

What else is making your government mad at birth tourist if not an in-house fraudulent matter? Were people not using this same bills to draw up birthing plan/budget a while ago and getting visas approved, renewed and having no issues with CBP? I even now believe that your VOs are too embarrassed and ashamed to let us know the big fraud happening behind us, perpetrated by your health system, that is why this whole birthing wahala remains shrouded in secrecy and all.

10 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 12:40am On Aug 22, 2019
OmoBendel24:

What else is making your government mad at birth tourist if not an in-house fraudulent matter? Were people not using this same bills to draw up birthing plan/budget a while ago and getting visas approved, renewed and having no issues with CBP? I even now believe that your VOs are too embarrassed and ashamed to let us know the big fraud happening behind us, perpetrated by your health system, that is why this whole birthing wahala remains shrouded in secrecy and all.
Next time don't waste your time in Nairaland, go to America or at least to US embassy with these accusations IN WRITING. And don't forget to attach real proves to your speculations. Let us know then where to visit you bringing you some food.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Vlesparza: 1:01am On Aug 22, 2019
TWoods:

Let’s not pretend here. Your case is a tiny minority. Most here can not afford to have a baby in the US so they come here looking for the cheapest hospitals in El Paso and rooms on the cheap. Which hospitals in El Paso or even Houston demand to see your visa? Those are the folks the consulate is targeting. You got your visa approved, the rest didn’t. Speaks volumes.

You need to show your passport/visa upon registering at the hospital in El Paso.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 6:29am On Aug 22, 2019
OmoBendel24:

People were using fake bank accounts to obtain visas years ago too... oftentimes loopholes go unnoticed before someone figures it out and stops it. The fraud is not on the part of the health system here, i feel that is the excuse Nigerians have come up with to give themselves cover or assuage their own guilt.

Even if such fraud existed, it is not up to you to exploit it. American hospitals don't require visas, you do.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by flourishing247: 8:08am On Aug 22, 2019
It's really so sad that things have turned this way. I knew this day would come. I saw this over 10yrs ago. It helped me in taking certain steps that I need. I will advise that you all should forget about giving birth in the US for now especially if it's not because of medical reasons. Don't jeopardize your family's chances of getting visas tomorrow. A lot of families I know are devastated because of this. The truth is that you can't tell a country when to change their policies. You can only pray it doesn't affect you. What everyone is seeing now is the result of years of abuse of opportunities by Nigerians. They started with Medicaid now it's discount. They will soon move to another country and start all over again. The citizenship you are looking for won't even be beneficial to the child till he's 18yrs. Please channel your finances to better use. It's better for you to get your visas renewed all the time than be banned. Be wise!!

8 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by quin9(f): 9:10am On Aug 22, 2019
TWoods:

People were using fake bank accounts to obtain visas years ago too... oftentimes loopholes go unnoticed before someone figures it out and stops it. The fraud is not on the part of the health system here, i feel that is the excuse Nigerians have come up with to give themselves cover or assuage their own guilt.

Even if such fraud existed, it is not up to you to exploit it. American hospitals don't require visas, you do.

I can remember the hospital made copies of my data and visa page,so explain it
Only you VO,CBP,FBI,hospitals rep what more are you?
cos you over know and this thing is paining you more than your president sef grin

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by AAESO: 9:10am On Aug 22, 2019
flourishing247:
It's really so sad that things have turned this way. I knew this day would come. I saw this over 10yrs ago. It helped me in taking certain steps that I need. I will advise that you all should forget about giving birth in the US for now especially if it's not because of medical reasons. Don't jeopardize your family's chances of getting visas tomorrow. A lot of families I know are devastated because of this. The truth is that you can't tell a country when to change their policies. You can only pray it doesn't affect you. What everyone is seeing now is the result of years of abuse of opportunities by Nigerians. They started with Medicaid now it's discount. They will soon move to another country and start all over again. The citizenship you are looking for won't even be beneficial to the child till he's 18yrs. Please channel your finances to better use. It's better for you to get your visas renewed all the time than be banned. Be wise!!

When you say abuse of discount I actually dont get it..but from my angle,I contacted an hospital that I would like to have my baby and I'll be paying out of pocket.the hospital has a policy of applying a certain percentage of discount to self paid patients, I made my payments presented all this correspondence at the embassy got a visa and few years down the line the same embassy that granted the visa with the discount has a problem with the discount..in a painted scenario like this,how did I abuse the discount offered to me?

13 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by gratefulalways: 1:09pm On Aug 22, 2019
+++++ LONG POST ++++++++

Dear Forumites, I’ve read with amazement the various comments on this thread about recent trends in the issuance of & renewal of US visa. I’m aware that this thread started sometime in March 2011 by someone called SKELEMBA who was seeking information regarding cost & procedures for birthing in the US (Refer to Part 1 of Thread). Since then, this thread currently on its 6th Part has been a go-to source & reference for information on the subject of birthing in the US. It has been a very helpful thread & guide to many people who otherwise might have considered the ignoble path of birthing their kids in the US without paying at all or resorting to Medicaid.

I am also aware that prior to this period, many people got away with birthing their kids in the US without declaring their intention or even without paying a dime for services they received. However, since the inception of this thread, a lot of Nigerians are better informed. They have over time made their intentions known at the US Embassy & at the POEs. They’ve ensured their bills are paid (even to the extent of chasing service providers to get their payments effected). Some others also set up payment plans with their service providers. This much has been acknowledged in some cases of visa renewals by the Embassy.

This thread has been very helpful in getting people prepared for their visa interviews & POEs, pre-natal, post natal & documentation activities. Even issues like accommodation, shopping, mobility while in the US were openly, genuinely and honestly discussed and advise proffered. Ideas & information were freely given & shared. This platform, though faceless has seen real friendships metamorphose in reality. We’ve equally seen people with wrong intentions collectively corrected and advised to tow the line of truth & sincerity in their birthing project.

It’s been a learning curve.

I am however amazed that recently, some people in their comments on this forum have decided to tar the generality of Nigerians with one brush of dishonesty & fraud. Let’s be mindful of the fact that it is the perception we give outsiders/foreigners about ourselves that those foreigners will benchmark their dealings with us on. If we call ourselves a country of armed robbers so will foreigners address us. Let’s therefore not be deceived.

Let it be known that crime & fraud exist in every country. Criminals exist in all countries. I do not know of any country that does not have a justice system, prisons or correctional facilities.

Yes, Nigeria is going through tough times presently, and until we rebuild our institutions we shall continue to face challenges. However, it is my belief that Nigeria shall surmount its challenges someday soon.

Previously (as listed on Page 1 of the Thread), some of the following would most likely earn you a visa issuance / or POE as the case may be:

1. Making your intentions of birthing known;
2. Budget / Cost Estimates
3. Burden of Proof
4. Doctor’s / Hospital Appointment or documents
5. Financial Capability
6. Change of Intent (For a previously issued valid visa), etc

The above-listed were previously accepted. That has now changed. Even visas previously issued based on those considerations are now being questioned by the same VOs who most likely issued them.

Finally, it is a country’s prerogative to issue visas & admit foreigners into its territory. It is solely at their discretion. That can’t be wished away or taken away from them. But it is also obvious that there’s a global shift in immigration & consular policies of developed countries. These policies are both written & unwritten. These policies only manifest or play out at the point of service delivery (that is, at the point of visa interviews, POEs etc). Since the issuance of visas is a discretionary consular function, a visa can be denied on the flimsiest reason / excuse. We might never know the actual reason for a visa refusal.

If we have contrary opinions let’s convey them in the best & most respectable way we can. No single person knows it all. One size does not fit all. People’s circumstances are different. Please let's be guided therefore. Whatever help or advise you can give to your fellow Nigerian should be the focus. After-all that is the essence of this forum

Justwise has done a very fantastic job of moderating this thread. It is a thankless job. I really do commend him for a job well done.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by jossy404: 1:16pm On Aug 22, 2019
I gave up on this matter when i read this :

Let’s not pretend here. Your case is a tiny minority. Most here can not afford to have a baby in the US so they come here looking for the cheapest hospitals in El Paso and rooms on the cheap

What is the definition of "afford"? You went to buy a Toyota Camry 2017 which normally cost $100 dollars and a dealer gave you a discount $80 then because you can "afford" you went to pay $1000. Is that the definition of Afford.

You cant proof its the $80 discount you are given that constitute a crime now it's the address you use on your receipts........

From what have seen from our VO and America Representative here, the issue is actually not the discount, because this cannot be logically explained but the citizenship that comes with birthing.

But for the record most people that embark on this journey know the cost implication and are aware that its expensive. Stop rubbing your experience with illegals or criminal minded individuals with genuine and honest people ........

Well, like i said Your country your Visa your Business. If

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by flourishing247: 4:32pm On Aug 22, 2019
AAESO:

When you say abuse of discount I actually dont get it..but from my angle,I contacted an hospital that I would like to have my baby and I'll be paying out of pocket.the hospital has a policy of applying a certain percentage of discount to self paid patients, I made my payments presented all this correspondence at the embassy got a visa and few years down the line the same embassy that granted the visa with the discount has a problem with the discount..in a painted scenario like this,how did I abuse the discount offered to me?

You see one thing we don't realize is that there are lots of Americans on this forum. I've been on this thread for years. I just read for information purposes. It has never been in my plan to give birth in the US, not that I can't afford it. It's simply cos of what's happening today. We saw it and decided against it. 98% of people that come here always ask for hospitals that give discounts. I can count the number of persons I know that paid in full. I've had emergency cases and I was a self pay patient. I paid in full, even when I was told I could negotiate. I refused to do it cos I know America never forgets. It's sad really but we brought it on ourselves. Look at what's happening in Canada today. It used to be one of the easiest visas to get. Things have changed. It is well oooo.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by AAESO: 4:58pm On Aug 22, 2019
flourishing247:

You see one thing we don't realize is that there are lots of Americans on this forum. I've been on this thread for years. I just read for information purposes. It has never been in my plan to give birth in the US, not that I can't afford it. It's simply cos of what's happening today. We saw it and decided against it. 98% of people that come here always ask for hospitals that give discounts. I can count the number of persons I know that paid in full. I've had emergency cases and I was a self pay patient. I paid in full, even when I was told I could negotiate. I refused to do it cos I know America never forgets. It's sad really but we brought it on ourselves. Look at what's happening in Canada today. It used to be one of the easiest visas to get. Things have changed. It is well oooo.

Let me get your point,getting a discount from a service provider is a crime?

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by flourishing247: 5:17pm On Aug 22, 2019
AAESO:

Let me get your point,getting a discount from a service provider is a crime?

We can go back and forth on this forever. People that have ears and eyes have already picked what they can and moved on. If they decide to see it as a crime, then you can do absolutely nothing about it. The deal with the users and also deal with the providers as best suits them. If they've refused you, please find ways to make amends by paying up the balance. Hopefully things will change

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by AAESO: 6:38pm On Aug 22, 2019
flourishing247:

We can go back and forth on this forever. People that have ears and eyes have already picked what they can and moved on. If they decide to see it as a crime, then you can do absolutely nothing about it. The deal with the users and also deal with the providers as best suits them. If they've refused you, please find ways to make amends by paying up the balance. Hopefully things will change

I actually I haven't been refused,and if in future I get refused,I ain't paying no dime back cos I didnt do anything wrong..i didnt take no medicaid, I signed a package that stated 'self paid ' I will gladly pay back a discount that was offered to me when the hospital I used get convicted of medicaid fraud.its only people that see America as 'HAVEN' all this will affect. If I dont visit America in 10 years I wont die. I dont understand why we put up a defence for this treatment. Cant deal!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by flourishing247: 7:28pm On Aug 22, 2019
AAESO:

I actually I haven't been refused,and if in future I get refused,I ain't paying no dime back cos I didnt do anything wrong..i didnt take no medicaid, I signed a package that stated 'self paid ' I will gladly pay back a discount that was offered to me when the hospital I used get convicted of medicaid fraud.its only people that see America as 'HAVEN' all this will affect. If I dont visit America in 10 years I wont die. I dont understand why we put up a defence for this treatment. Cant deal!

I feel you at being exasperated over the issue. It is what it is......
That's where the problem is
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TripleKMama: 8:52pm On Aug 22, 2019
Ndi oke akwukwo

Happy to see the thread moving grin

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ebonychic18(f): 9:37pm On Aug 22, 2019
TripleKMama:
Ndi oke akwukwo

Hahahahaaa Hahahahaaa Hahahahaaa Hahahahaaa Hahahahaaa
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by justwise(m): 6:47am On Aug 23, 2019
@All

Please enough of this back and forth argument and personal attacks.

Let's move on.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by flourishing247: 10:30am On Aug 23, 2019
TripleKMama:
Ndi oke akwukwo

Ona imaro Akwukwo? Hahahaha
How's your baby doing?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by overlord77: 11:17am On Aug 23, 2019
AAESO:

Yea, I feel ya.

It doesn't make sense that a hospital gives one discount and VOs are capitalizing on that as one's crime. They should come up with something else.
Like you said, if the hospital is convicted of Medicaid fraud and demands their full payment afterwards, that'd make sense than calling them up to request you want to pay the balance given to you in form of a discount.

Anyway, like I said earlier. Let's those trying to renew their visas pipe down for now and give it a while, US elections are coming up pretty soon. For intending mothers, try Canada or some place else. Cheers

@justwise the hustler and order-bringer. Eku ise o, how is ABV? grin

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by justwise(m): 11:27am On Aug 23, 2019
overlord77:

Yea, I feel ya.

It doesn't make sense that a hospital gives one discount and VOs are capitalizing on that as one's crime. They should come up with something else.
Like you said, if the hospital is convicted of Medicaid fraud and demands their full payment afterwards, that'd make sense than calling them up to request you want to pay the balance given to you in form of a discount.

Anyway, like I said earlier. Let's those trying to renew their visas pipe down for now and give it a while, US elections are coming up pretty soon. For intending mothers, try Canada or some place else. Cheers

@justwise the hustler and order-bringer. Eku ise o, how is ABV? grin

Who/what is that?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by baldman: 1:30pm On Aug 23, 2019
The idea that people provide foreign address in other to claim cheaper bill is not correct and as the poster is trying to explain, they are different processes entirely. The forms you fill to process birth certificate is administered independently ( at least in my experience) and does not give any basis for you as a foreigner to be able to prove that you are resident in the US. The finance department will require that you provide a US Address so that the bills can be sent there and indeed a sort of Guarantor as they fully understand that we are non-resident.

I insisted that I wanted to use my Nigerian Address for the birth certificate and I was told that it has to be a US Address as the birth certificate will not be dispatched to an address outside of the US. I hope the US embassy can conduct independent inquiries into this and verify the truth, unless they are just looking for any excuse to deny us.

There is no hospital that will deal with you without you providing an address within state where bills will be sent to. It is this address that the finance department ( the billing people) work with, they do not have any thing to do with the birth certificate which is handled by social services department who merely acts as the handler of the forms as they have the duty to report births.

OmoBendel24:

Let me give this a try. There's an accusation that Nigerians are using US Address on their kid's BCs in order to cut corners and get birthing bills reduced, I'm telling him and you that most Nigerians having this address issue PREPAID for services (mostly Doctor's fees, Facility fees, Epidural, etc) even on first appointment, before birthing and getting the said BCs that contains the US address. In essence, they are not billed "cheap" because of that US Address, it is rather for other reasons. So, how about those that did their registration and pre-payments of this cheap price all the way from Nigeria even before stepping on US soil and are yet denied at renewal, those ones planned to use the US address to cheat your system too, abi?

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (452) (Reply)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.