Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,716 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. (128525 Views)

The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) / Why Federal Government Should Take Over Obasanjo’s Presidential Library — Sagay / See The Dilapidated State Of Calabar Library Complex (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by nnena2007: 9:44pm On Dec 26, 2017
Waoo, op continue your good job

1 Like

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by deomelllo: 9:46pm On Dec 26, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by wristbangle: 9:47pm On Dec 26, 2017
God bless u for this post Deomelllo. Thank God am in Abk at the moment. I would visit there tomorrow by God's grace cool

3 Likes

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by deomelllo: 9:51pm On Dec 26, 2017
All the folks asking museum or library.

It is a Presidential Library and normally, presidential libraries details works, artifacts and the items collected during the president's stay in office, not a book library.

Presidential libraries are not book libraries.

For more info, google presidentia llibraries.

6 Likes

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by deomelllo: 9:54pm On Dec 26, 2017
wristbangle:
God bless u for this post Deomelllo. Thank God am in Abk at the moment. I would visit there tomorrow by God's grace cool

Pictures don't do the place justice at all, you need to visit.

Try to avoid going on school excursion days because it get's crowdy when school children are visiting or when they have special events.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by femmix112(m): 9:55pm On Dec 26, 2017
Balkan:
Library or Art Gallary?
don't understand o. and he want to create a museum for himself since naija no go do for am.
smart man

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 26, 2017
He kept records of his first uniform. His cars. His prison cell.he never overlooked anything. Very inspiring

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by emmie14: 10:24pm On Dec 26, 2017
deomelo:

It was privately funded.

Everything is not about your stupid oil money.

Stop the hate, bitterness and bad bele.
Do not call the oil stupid unless you are stupid yourself. Obasanjo wouldn't have accompanied all these without the position he enjoyed as first citizen. Oil deals can't be overruled bob.

1 Like

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by naijaninja15: 10:24pm On Dec 26, 2017
How many Nigerian leaders, dead or alive have a past to fill such a big edifice. Not many I believe. I'm not a huge fan of OBJ, but if previous leaders have been using part of their loots to build things like this rather than stash it out in Swizz bank we may have almost 4 of such project in existence as we speak. I heard pple suggesting Dezani's loots could have provided Nigeria with at least 3 international standard hospitals. If Dezani had done that, we would still have complained it was stolen money. We need to start settling for lesser evil in our society rather than wishing for a white unicorn in form of saints. Hate him or like him, OBJ is still the most nationalistic leader we have alive and I applaud him for this project.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by jaxxy(m): 10:37pm On Dec 26, 2017
Obasanjo is a brilliant man any day. Sadly he did not give us his best wen he had the chance as president.

Then secondly i wud like to see more state of the art cultural centre or historical museums/libraries in various states and eko Atlantic probably for tourism

1 Like

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by Drdreluv: 11:05pm On Dec 26, 2017
Woo lovely
Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by nduchucks: 11:23pm On Dec 26, 2017
omololu2020:
Olusegun Mathew okikiola aremu obasanjo

Olusegun Mathew Okikiolakan Aremu Obasanjo cool

1 Like

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by Thatitan234(m): 11:23pm On Dec 26, 2017
Balkan:
Library or Art Gallary?

It is a "Presidential Library" not your conventional type of library.
More like a centre for the study of a particular President.
You can read more on it and modify your post on the first page to guide people.

8 Likes

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by klexycole(m): 11:35pm On Dec 26, 2017
SKhanmi:
Hmmm, m curious already, will be visiting it in a few days, who's with me?

Hey bro! I'm presently in Abeokuta and I'm also planning to visit the place. Should we ball together? Game? Let m know! cheesy grin
Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by kenoz(m): 11:36pm On Dec 26, 2017
Exquisite

2 Likes

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by Gazzy88(m): 11:41pm On Dec 26, 2017
God bless the Egbas. From Fela Kuti,Obasanjo,MKO Abiola, Prince Bola Ajibola (former world court judge),Wole Soyinka (maternal parentage), Tunde Lemo (former CBN deputy governor and current DG of ferma),Mobolaji Johnson,Tunde Kelani(mainframe),Ibikunle Amosun,Ernest Shonekan,Pastor Tunde Bakare,Ebenezer Obey,Sir Shina Peters,kiss Daniel and a host of them...I'm proudly an egba man.

2 Likes

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by geo4c: 12:35am On Dec 27, 2017
all i saw was the biafran flag very magnificent. land of the rising sun neva disappoints
Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by zero8zero(m): 1:02am On Dec 27, 2017
The representation of his huge ego. I won't say more than this.
Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by zero8zero(m): 1:07am On Dec 27, 2017
geo4c:
all i saw was the biafran flag very magnificent. land of the rising sun neva disappoints
You're using this magnificence as a point of contact for Biafra.. I hope you do know that faith without work is dead.

2 Likes

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by donkilluminati(m): 1:41am On Dec 27, 2017
hatchy:
Very loaded and beautifully crafted.
This goes a long way to show how OBJ is intellectually endowed unlike the dullard occupying Aso Rock who have never written any book or delivered any intellectual speech in his life to benefit mankind.

A President who doesn't have ordinary standard six certificate and does not even know his actual age, is that one a President?
one talent i grew up knowing Nigerians with is being good at talking down on each other and saying disparaging words on people that are greater than their whole generation can ever smell. they are good at talking down on people based on fiction and not on actual fact. google the word Hater, it will only lead you to an early grave.

1 Like

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by Nobody: 3:07am On Dec 27, 2017
A library without books, is that one library
They should just tell us it's a museum
Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by deomelllo: 3:38am On Dec 27, 2017
Vanillaskin:

deomelllo:
All the folks asking museum or library.

It is a Presidential Library and normally, presidential libraries details works, artifacts and the items collected during the president's stay in office, not a book library.

Presidential libraries are not book libraries.

For more info, google presidentia llibraries.

Thatitan234:

It is a "Presidential Library" not your conventional type of library.
More like a centre for the study of a particular President.
You can read more on it and modify your post on the first page to guide people.

I hope this is the end of the library ill-informed library/museum questions and confusion.

If you don't know the meaning of Presidential libraries, google first before making ignorant comments.

1 Like

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by deomelllo: 3:47am On Dec 27, 2017

Limousine used by Pres. Bill Clinton. Clinton Presidential Library and Museum. Little Rock, Ark

Example of presidential libraries, they are not book or bookshelves libraries.

1 Like

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by deenee: 4:17am On Dec 27, 2017
Nesso:

U d one who shud stop the hate, bitterness and bad belle. Watz do u mean by stupid oil money? Datz bitterness and bad belle right der.

Yeah stop the hate. The project was and is still privately funded getting support even from Carter Foundation, Ford Foundatio, Bill Gates and Facebook. The fact that it's privately funded is the more reason why the library is still operational and well maintained

I will also advise to stop having tunnel vision. Very soon oil will no longer be relevant. Other countries are developing renewable energy, you are still shouting our oil. You can take the oil and shove it where the sun does not shine.

2 Likes

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by naptu2: 5:17am On Dec 27, 2017
Vanillaskin:

IamGoke:
Is this a library or a museum

Couldn't find a book shelf!

Ahmeduana:
Is it a museum, junk room or zoo? Because I didn't see a single book not even under my watch!

aybabz101:
is it Obasanjo's museum or a digital library coz i am not seeing any book ooooooooo........abi d books dey d oda room ni?

sophoccles:
As much as I admire Olusegun Obasanjo's personality, his charisma & his drive to continuously improve himself and expand his horizons alongside that of those fortunate to be around him, I think his politics is extremely execrable.

One question for the OP though: Where the hell are the books? This seems to be more of a museum than a library.

Nickydrake:
This exquisite library, built with money squeezed out of wealthy businessmen and rotten politicians eager for favours during Baba's tenure, contains everything in the world except books.

Royruky:
Can't find a single bookshelf. It seems more of a museum or art gallery to me. Definitely not a library

olisaemeka1:
modified .........Inside former president Olusegun Obasanjos presidential private museum. ...Op take note....

Balkan:
Library or Art Gallary?

bandad:
i wonder o my broda.

ashjay001:

I tire too. No books, since morning!

kayyat:
abi o

mosesjida:
waoh...an architectural master plan..bt this is more of an art exhibition museum than jxt a library..bt I guess I now understand wat d "presidential" now means in the name..nice place though

TeejayMaya:
I personally feel this is more of a Resort and Museum than just a library or art gallery. Should have been named Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Resort & Museum.

So beautiful and massive tho needs much publicity and marketing to drive in more visitors and tourists. With this and other tourist destinations in the country such as Obudu Cattle Ranch, Tinapa among others, I see no reason why the country shouldn't be racking in huge revenue from tourism honestly.

naturefellow:
my mind exactly!

sinkhole:
You are right there in my brain

GoldNiagara:
Looks more to me like a personal museum! Where are the books.

I hope this helps.

Presidential libraries are called libraries because they contain official papers like bills, letters, memos, maps, diaries, etc. that were written or signed by the president when he was in office. They also usually contain minutes that were written by the president's aides and other official communication that was written to the president. They also usually contain books and other pieces of writing that were written by the president before he assumed office or after he left office. (President Carter's library contains a minute by minute diary of his trip to Nigeria in 1978 https://www.jimmycarterlibrary.gov/ ).

These libraries are usually established so that students of political science, history, public administration and other scholars can easily find material about the president's tenure for their research work. It also helps current politicians to get a first hand view of the problems that former presidents faced and see how they tackled those problems.

However, presidential libraries are not just book libraries. They are more like museums. They usually contain the limousine the president used when he was in office, the clothes he wore while he was in office, pictures of the president's trips to foreign countries, pictures of visits of foreign leaders, pictures of momentous occasions during the former president's tenure (assassination or assassination attempts, famous treaties, etc.) and basically virtually everything that someone might want to know about the president.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_library

And of course the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library has lots of books. Someone has already referred to the books in the library (see below).

mhizv:
Was really impressed, esp when we got to the section,which had everything he used while in jail.

And original copies (hand wrtten)of books he wrote while in jail..

Deomelo has already posted pictures of some of the books (and I'm going to post more). You can see Obasanjo's book "Nzeogwu" in Deomelo's pictures below and you can also see Obasanjo giving book gifts to some of the visitors to the library.

The Obasanjo Presidential Library also has lots of research centres, for example the Centre For Human Security and these centres hold seminars and conduct researches. the papers from these seminars and research works are stored in the presidential library.

Apart from Obasanjo's famous books (Nzeogwu, My Command, Not My Will and My Watch), the library also has lots of children's story books that were written by Obasanjo, for example, the "12 Tortoise" series of story books".

In the pictures below you can see some of the books from the Obasanjo Presidential Library that were exhibited at the Lagos Book And Arts Festival. You can also see President Obasanjo showing Bola Tinubu and Ibikunle Amosun some of the maps and documents in the library. There's also a picture of President Obasanjo reading his story book to children while donating some of the books in the library to a school.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by olisaemeka1(m): 5:35am On Dec 27, 2017
Balkan:
Library or Art Gallary?
modified .........Inside former president Olusegun Obasanjos presidential private museum. ...Op take note....
Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by cooltola(m): 5:40am On Dec 27, 2017
Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by lonelydora: 5:42am On Dec 27, 2017
deomelo:

It was privately funded.

Everything is not about your stupid oil money.

Stop the hate, bitterness and bad bele.

what are the prerequisite for visiting? i want to be here.
Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by bandad: 6:00am On Dec 27, 2017
Balkan:
Library or Art Gallary?
i wonder o my broda.
Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by ashjay001(m): 6:23am On Dec 27, 2017
Balkan:
Library or Art Gallary?

I tire too. No books, since morning!
Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by kayyat(f): 6:24am On Dec 27, 2017
Balkan:
Library or Art Gallary?
abi o
Re: Inside The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex. Pics. by Nickydrake(m): 6:39am On Dec 27, 2017
This exquisite library, built with money squeezed out of wealthy businessmen and rotten politicians eager for favours during Baba's tenure, contains everything in the world except books.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tomb Art From Ancient Egypt: A Black African Civilization (pics) / Nigerian Military Unleashes Full Weaponry Against Boko Haram (pics) / Kano Bomb Blast In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.