Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,652 members, 7,801,898 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? (2866 Views)

What's It Like Dating A Nigerian Girl / Why Akwa Ibom Girls Don't Like Dating Guys From Other Tribe/states / How Is It Like Dating An Hausa Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Corps1000: 2:21am On Dec 26, 2017
It's me again cheesy

Since I made a thread on my current situation, which I am trying to deal with. And since this is my 1st time dating a Nigerian, and some people have insinuated I am clueless about Nigerian culture, why don't some of you educate me? wink

Of course, I asked my dude but a Nigerian male friend painted the culture totally different...

FYI, the dude I am dating is born in America but has lived in Nigeria for a bit. And I myself am born here too but Caribbean.

What is Nigerian culture like, or parts of it like? Specifically Igbo? How is dating culture overall? Marriage expectations? Beauty standards?

One thing I have noticed is Nigerian men, or the ones that pursued me, have been aggressive. They all pretty much mentioned marriage/kids within a short time. Is this cultural?

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by kurupt1: 2:28am On Dec 26, 2017
@OP....Who did this to you?Besides, are you a male or female or Corper?

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Goodlyhrt(m): 2:30am On Dec 26, 2017
We believe that there is an almighty God but money must be made, we believe in having our kids in our youths especially a male child and we never forget our home

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Corps1000: 2:30am On Dec 26, 2017
kurupt1:
@OP....Who did this to you?Besides, are you a male or female or Corper?

lmao. I'm a woman. grin
Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by tealaw(m): 4:29am On Dec 26, 2017
Corps1000:

It's me again cheesy

Since I made a thread on my current situation, which I am trying to deal with. And since this is my 1st time dating a Nigerian, and some people have insinuated I am clueless about Nigerian culture, why don't some of you educate me? wink

Of course, I asked my dude but a Nigerian male friend painted the culture totally different...

FYI, the dude I am dating is born in America but has lived in Nigeria for a bit. And I myself am born here too but Caribbean.

What is Nigerian culture like, or parts of it like? Specifically Igbo? How is dating culture overall? Marriage expectations? Beauty standards?

One thing I have noticed is Nigerian men, or the ones that pursued me, have been aggressive. They all pretty much mentioned marriage/kids within a short time. Is this cultural?

Igbos r aggressive liars.
They use d marriage n kids story to tie u down.
They wealth dont last
Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Corps1000: 4:47am On Dec 26, 2017
tealaw:

Igbos r aggressive liars.
They use d marriage n kids story to tie u down.
They wealth dont last

Why are they aggressive liars? lol. Do you have personal experience? Why not just try to tie you down without using marriage and kids?
Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by zolapower: 4:57am On Dec 26, 2017
Corps1000:

It's me again cheesy

Why don't you stick to your Caribbean men? U go about trying to know other people's culture because you know the Igbo men spend lavishly on there marriage right ? If u are good yourself the Jamaican men should have married . So quit ,tarnishing our image woman , enough of how ur foreigners soil our names and image on the mud . After all u ain't the first to date a Nigerian man ,so why the hell would u want do an investigation about us here ?
I'm most likely sure the op is known to me . Rubbish ! Gold digger ,u better go get a job . U want to strike gold.
And please no one should quote me or else thunder will fire the person before New year .
You all will say Nigerians are the most corrupt and there u are coming for our men ,why not stick ur dirty ass in your home land and get to look for a Jamaican with igbo version . Rubbish ole buruku .

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by sunbilor(m): 6:49am On Dec 26, 2017
Corps1000:

Why are they aggressive liars? lol. Do you have personal experience? Why not just try to tie you down without using marriage and kids?
Have you heard of ' Yoruba demon' before? The guy you quoted is one. Very dangerous.

Your husband is more American than Igbo. Igbos believe that one of the major reasons for getting married is having children. So get ready to make babies as soon as you tie the knots with my brother. They are straightforward, no need skirting around. My dad married my mom within 2 weeks of setting his eyes on her and they lived happily till death separated them. We like good food, especially our cultural food. So get ready to cook well for us. By the way which state in Nigeria is your man from so I get you specific cultural information from there.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by enny4real23(m): 6:53am On Dec 26, 2017
zolapower:

Why don't you stick to your Caribbean men? U go about trying to know other people's culture because you know the Igbo men spend lavishly on there marriage right ? If u are good yourself the Jamaican men should have married . So quit ,tarnishing our image woman , enough of how ur foreigners soil our names and image on the mud . After all u ain't the first to date a Nigerian man ,so why the hell would u want do an investigation about us here ?
I'm most likely sure the op is known to me . Rubbish ! Gold digger ,u better go get a job . U want to strike gold.
And please no one should quote me or else thunder will fire the person before New year .
You all will say Nigerians are the most corrupt and there u are coming for our men ,why not stick ur dirty ass in your home land and get to look for a Jamaican with igbo version . Rubbish ole buruku .
. Dude, why is there so much hate in your heart? You've got to lighten up and take a chill pill, its no use getting emotional over something that has nothing to do with you, she's just trying to know about the Igbo culture and if you don't have anything informative to say, sit back, relax and read other people's comments, peace

5 Likes

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Corps1000: 7:14am On Dec 26, 2017
sunbilor:
Have you heard of ' Yoruba demon' before? The guy you quoted is one. Very dangerous.

Your husband is more American than Igbo. Igbos believe that one of the major reasons for getting married is having children. So get ready to make babies as soon as you tie the knots with my brother. They are straightforward, no need skirting around. My dad married my mom within 2 weeks of setting his eyes on her and they lived happily till death separated them. We like good food, especially our cultural food. So get ready to cook well for us. By the way which state in Nigeria is your man from so I get you specific cultural information from there.
He isn't my husband, we have been dating. Oh wow, that's quick. How did he know she was the one so quickly?

It;s funny because he said he wants 4 kids and I said I want less. And he joked,"How as a man he decides." lol Hmm, I never asked him which part.
Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by sunbilor(m): 7:23am On Dec 26, 2017
Corps1000:

He isn't my husband, we have been dating. Oh wow, that's quick. How did he know she was the one so quickly?

It;s funny because he said he wants 4 kids and I said I want less. And he joked,"How as a man he decides." lol Hmm, I never asked him which part.
Some people have strong intuition. They can easily tell what is good for them and what is not on first contact. What's your boyfriend's state of origin in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by zolapower: 8:03am On Dec 26, 2017
enny4real23:
. Dude, why is there so much hate in your heart? You've got to lighten up and take a chill pill, its no use getting emotional over something that has nothing to do with you, she's just trying to know about the Igbo culture and if you don't have anything informative to say, sit back, relax and read other people's comments, peace
.get the Bleep out of my mention. Is Google no more ?
Moreso ,who is hating on who here ? I think u need to get ur brain checked okay , because I see nothing like hate here . Majority of the people ( especially black American ) I try to chat with online hate Nigerians like poo ,simply because I'm chatting them up right here in Nigeria . She's in America and the guy in question is also based in America ,why going too far by telling the world who the guy is ?
I beg get ur miserable life out of my mention ,bf thunder fire u there . Knowing igbo culture ,u should have told her avoid the guy ,just like ur normal way of using a tribal remark on the Igbos right. Amadioha hammer u there !

2 Likes

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by enny4real23(m): 9:34am On Dec 26, 2017
tongue
zolapower:
Moreso ,who is hating on who here ? I think u need to get ur brain checked okay , because I see nothing like hate here . Majority of the people ( especially black American ) I try to chat with online hate Nigerians like poo ,simply because I'm chatting them up right here in Nigeria . She's in America and the guy in question is also based in America ,why going too far by telling the world who the guy is ?
I beg get ur miserable life out of my mention ,bf thunder fire u there . Knowing igbo culture ,u should have told her avoid the guy ,just like ur normal way of using a tribal remark on the Igbos right. Amadioha hammer u there !
lol, e pain am tongue
zolapower:
lol, e pain am �

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Corps1000: 5:11pm On Dec 26, 2017
sunbilor:
Some people have strong intuition. They can easily tell what is good for them and what is not on first contact. What's your boyfriend's state of origin in Nigeria?
i actually don’t know and right now he is overseas. We never talked about it or if we did I don’t recall at the moment. But he is igbo.

That’s neat your dad knew so fast and it worked out! I feel the same way about first dates, that’s wnough to let me know if I want a second date.

Never been married but I think 6 months to a year is enough. By that time, you have enough arguments, ups and downs and know person enough. I think dating for years to know if the person is the “one” is excessive, unless both people are still young, like early to mid 20s.
Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by sunbilor(m): 7:03pm On Dec 26, 2017
Corps1000:
i actually don’t know and right now he is overseas. We never talked about it or if we did I don’t recall at the moment. But he is igbo.

That’s neat your dad knew so fast and it worked out! I feel the same way about first dates, that’s wnough to let me know if I want a second date.

Never been married but I think 6 months to a year is enough. By that time, you have enough arguments, ups and downs and know person enough. I think dating for years to know if the person is the “one” is excessive, unless both people are still young, like early to mid 20s.
Everyone has what works for them.
Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Corps1000: 12:07am On Dec 27, 2017
sunbilor:
Everyone has what works for them.
true but speaking from my perspective, 6 months to a year would be ideal for me.
Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by sunbilor(m): 4:47am On Dec 27, 2017
Corps1000:
true but speaking from my perspective, 6 months to a year would be ideal for me.
Ok. That's also nice.
Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Nobody: 6:25am On Dec 27, 2017
Dating is dating, it has nothing to do with tribe.
Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 28, 2017
I like the way you don't reply unecessary nasty comments.

Let me tell you what i as an igbo man believe in,okay so an average igbo man is family oriented alright,we value family
irrespective of our highly immigrant nature the igbo man still make out time to see family and friends,especially in festive seasons like this

so don't be alarmed when the igbo man in question speedily talks about marriage and kids,you might need to know that the conc igbo man will always want to at least have a son,because in the native igbo community a son is a sign of strength and lineage continuity,but none the less the girl child is as well valued

when the igbo girl child's hand is to be taken into marriage,the suitor in question is then briefed on the tradition,culture and belief of the particular village or comnunity,and one of which is the "bride price",
The bride price is a list of traditional items,food items,adornments,regalia and several other material things backed up with money,the suitor in question has to provide the items in the list or negotiate to reduce them with the family and kindred of the bride in question,
The bride price albeit obligatory,a few families have made some exceptions in the past and in the present as they gave their daughters hand in marriage without requesting for bride price.
The igbo people are referred to as the,business minded set of Nigerians,as our business acumen can not be over emphasized,none the less other tribes are business minded too,it depends more on individuality.

1 Like

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 28, 2017
The igbo husband is said to be romantic and very caring,as we are known to take care of our wives,we never hesitate to spoil our wives with money,gifts and love,as far as we love you we love with our hearts,and we can be very straight forward when making a point,thus the way we show love to you immediately and the "aggressive marriage and kids discussion"
you might have to bear it in mind that the igbo man likes showing who he loves to his people hence the attitude of inviting their patners to their hometown,you will have to bear the excessive introduction to every Emeka and okoro you both meet, don't be surprised that if you travel to far away china for a business trip one or two Igbo brothers will recognise you and call you to attention.

The igbo woman is expected to take care of the home and the family,she is as well expected to be able to cook as cooking skills are passed down from the mothers to their children,there are several traditional dishes common with the igbos one of which is the Egusi soup,it is prepared with dried grinded melon seed and several other ingredients involved.

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 28, 2017
And igbo man rocking the native attire with his beautiful wife

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 28, 2017
Photo grid of the popular Egusi and pounded yam

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Dec 28, 2017
The chieftancy tittle is an important aspect of the igbo tradition, it is usually conferred on individuals who have immensely contributed positively to the development of a community or society by the traditional rulers, the individuals will now be a dubbed with a name that befits their personality and achievement as they will be adorned with the regalia and adornments,which is a sign of being a chieftancy tittle holder

These are traditional names of chief tancy tittle and their english meaning:

Onowu = me dont know
Odanwa = me dont know
Nwajiuba = a child holds wealth
Akuchukwu=wealth from God
Nwakibie= Best among equals
Nnaebuo= a male child who will become a father
Nwadialor=(my OZO title name given to me by my grand father; it means a valued child)
Nwanonukpo-eze = a child who sits in the royal chair(my younger brothers OZO title name)
Agbalanze= Custodian of Nze na Ozo institution( given to high ranking titled men only and their is only one Agbalanze in each village of our town)
Ugonabo=complete greatness(one of the highest Ozo cult,usually taken by rich men) my people will say ogbenye ada aza Ugonabo, haha ijikwa ego ?
You can recognize Ugonabos by the two feathers on their red Ozo cap.
This is the title I will go for when I become richer!!

The man i marked with red,kneeling in the photograph,is being conferred with a chieftancy tittle.

Re: What Is Nigerian/igbo Culture Like? Dating? Relationships,belief System? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 28, 2017
You might want to look up on google for more detailed informations

(1) (Reply)

"Married Men Are The Best" - Lady Screams On Twitter / I Seduced My White Doctor / How To Be More Sexual And Fall In Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.