Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,027 members, 7,807,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie (33741 Views)

Ibikunle Amosun And His Wife, Olufunso Wedding Pictures (Throwback) / Amosun And Adekunle Akinlade Meet Buhari (Photos) / Governor Amosun And His Loyalists To Dump APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by Irukkanews: 10:03am On Dec 26, 2017
I have never thought of living in Ogun State in my lifetime but through the waywardness of fate, the south western State has become my home for now. Raised in the North by Igbo parents and now finding myself in Yoruba makes me a thorough Nigerian breed by all capacity which by the special Grace of the Almighty enables me to speak Hausa, Yoruba and naturally Igbo Languages, almost in equal proportion.

This my linguistic advantage helped me in no little measure when I came out with the idea of forming an association that embodies Non-Yoruba Indigenes in Ogun State. Interestingly, before I could explain the ideology behind the initiative, members from the Hausa, Igbo, Tiv, Nupe, Urhobo, Igala, Idoma, Kanuri, Fulani, Igbira, Okun Community and South-South have started indicating their interest simply because I was able to bridge that insurmountable language barrier. With that, we were able to form the associations comprising of Non Yoruba Indigenes living in Ogun State. The groups, one of which is Non-Yoruba Indigenes of All Progressive Congress Forum (NYIAF), the political arm of Non Indigenes in Ogun State Zone, which held their one year anniversary recently (14TH December 2017) at Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria. It was laughter, laughter and laughter all the way.

From my own perspective, The Non Yoruba Indigenes' groups can be described as a child or product of necessity in the sense that there are issues and anomalies it stands to address within the domain where we reside.

First is the issue of multiple taxation; experience has shown that most government multiple taxation policies are targeted at the Non Yoruba Indigenes who pay many times higher than what their Yoruba counterparts pay at the same circumstances. Where the Indigenes receive waivers, the Non Yoruba Indigenes are made to pay through their nose.

Again, the Non indigenes are never recognized despite the fact that they accounts for 40% and 60- 70% of the state's IGR when it comes to commerce. Yet these economic growers are not accorded the required recognition in form of reduction in number of taxes they are made to cough out.

These non indigenes also suffer other forms of marginalization and dehumanization, some of which are orchestrated by some law enforcement agents. For instance, there was a particular case of a raid carried out by some law enforcement agents within a business environment in Ogun State. In the process shops were locked. All the businessmen and women were fined and it was later observed that the authorities fined indigenes Five Hundred Naira (#500) whereas Non Yoruba Indigenes among them paid a whopping sum of Five Thousand Naira (#5000) to free themselves.

So the question is why must some Nigerians be treated differently under same condition? Why must some Nigerians contributing to the economic growth of a State be subjected to the position of second class citizens in their own country in the name of Non Indigenes?

Furthermore, children born and bred in South Western States are denied certificate of indigeneship because their parents are Non Indigenes. This is not the practice in civilized places. For example, in foreign countries, such as USA, Europe, Etc. once a foreigner lives up to ten years in such country, he or she is qualified to start processing his or her citizenship document. Also if a child is born in any of such countries, that child gains its automatic citizenship but in the South West which is our own country, it is not so. Again, Non Yoruba Indigenes Students who gained admission in State tertiary institutions pay almost three times more than their Yoruba counterparts.

Sadly, the non indigenes are marginalized in their different communities. It is no longer a secret that in most South Western States, especially in their respective CDA meetings, Yoruba language is used as lingua franca even where Non Yoruba Indigenes are dominant. They are rather forced to use Yoruba language during the meeting sessions instead of English language which is the country's official language.

In as much as I have been able to point out some of the plight of non-Yoruba indigenes in the state, I must be quick to commend Governor Ibikunle Amosun for the efforts the governor has put to see that the state moves to the next level. It is therefore very important that the current development going on in Ogun state by the Senator Amosun led government should be upheld by both indigenes and non-indigenes. The system should therefore be guarded jealously to check the excesses of some political gladiators that may come up with the intentions of bringing up candidates from strange camps to succeed the current governor which might not augur well for all.

One good thing the governor has done passionately is the empowerment of house owners in the State. Since history of the state, no government has ever approved mass release of Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) to both indigenes and non-indigenes as much as the present Ogun State government has done. Secondly, the Land Grabbers' Law initiated by the governor is another landmark achievement in favour of both the Non Yoruba Indigenes and Indigenes in the State. For now, the "omonile" phenomenon is gradually disappearing in the state.

Before now, we had so many governors in Ogun State; in fact, Ogun State was one of the most dilapidated States in Nigeria. But despite the infrastructural deficit, Ogun State is now one of the most industrialized States after Lagos State in Nigeria.

With such efforts, it is very important that Ogun State people watch very carefully and also resist any form of imposition of candidate to run their affairs in the upcoming general election in the state. Be that as it may, I want to state unequivocally that the Non Yoruba Indigenes in South West will remain law abiding and will continue to contribute their quota towards the economic and political development of the South West Region.

Personally, I see Amosun as a Devil we know which is better than that angel we don’t know”. We don’t want any imposition of candidate in Ogun State. If the good works must continue, Amosun’s successor should continue where the governor stopped. And whoever that is coming under APC should be a person that will imbibe culture of continuity and key into all the laudable projects going on in the state.

There is no doubt however, that Governor Amosun has not done much for Non Yoruba Indigenes but we believe that the next governor will remember the Non Yoruba Indigenes more than what we are experiencing at the moment. No doubt, the Non Yoruba Indigenes deserve better treatment and i sincerely believe the state government can do better.

The Non Yoruba Indigenes are prepared to work with the present Government and the ones in the future provided they recognize and attend to the cries and yearnings of our people.

http://irukkanews.com/amosun-and-the-burden-of-non-indigenes-in-ogun-state-p3632-95.htm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by resurgentxtian4: 10:16am On Dec 26, 2017
Why are you igbos behaving like this? What do you mean by certificate of indigeneship in Ogun State of all states? You have now left Lagos and have turned to my own native state?

Just do your business and be law abiding. You can never have more or equal benefits with Yorubas in their land. Stop trying to be indigenes by force.

158 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by AshiwajuFoward: 10:55am On Dec 26, 2017
Again, the Non indigenes are never recognized despite the fact that they accounts for 40% and 60- 70% of the state's IGR when it comes to commerce. Yet these economic growers are not accorded the required recognition in form of reduction in number of taxes they are made to cough out.

I no talk am?? cheesy I said it that it'll only be a matter of time before these people start claiming that they developed Ogun and account for its high IGR. cheesy Na wah oooo.

160 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by BeautifulSE: 10:59am On Dec 26, 2017
Again, the Non indigenes are never recognized despite the fact that they accounts for 40% and 60- 70% of the state's IGR when it comes to commerce.

grin cheesy

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6454589_addtextcommtazotiynje4ndu_jpege0de2c2168e41caa1ecc2b0f1e62fd5b

These ones don mad finish. Na only to wear tear tear cloth remain. We haven't even forgiven you people for your nuisance in Lagos. Una wan carry that development and IGR madness come Ogun state. You people should not be unfortunate please.

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by AshiwajuFoward: 11:06am On Dec 26, 2017
BeautifulSE:

Smh.

That's all I will say for now

Lol. When you start seeing them quoting and throwing around their spurious and fabricated percentages, know say dem dey up to no good. Na Amosun cause am, since he made one of them a permanent secretary in the state. He really fall my hand cause such precedent emboldens them to start making claims and asking for more. Over-sophistication no go kill our people.

93 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by BeautifulSE: 11:08am On Dec 26, 2017
AshiwajuFoward:

Lol. When you start seeing them quoting their spurious and fabricated percentages, know say dem dey up to no good. Na Amosun cause am, since he made one of them a permanent secretary in the state. He really fall my hand cause such precedent emboldens them to start making claims and asking for more.

That thing na curse bro grin cheesy

51 Likes

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by resurgentxtian4: 11:10am On Dec 26, 2017
AshiwajuFoward:

Lol. When you start seeing them quoting their spurious and fabricated percentages, know say dem dey up to no good. Na Amosun cause am, since he made one of them a permanent secretary in the state. He really fall my hand cause such precedent emboldens them to start making claims and asking for more. Over-sophistication no go kill our people.

They would be allowed to develop our cities and pay their due taxes but they can never have the same rights with Yorubas on our soil or exercise political power over Yoruba subjects.

We should never allow it to descend to that level. The group is on a wild goose chase as their objectives will never materialize in yorubaland. They can and should continue being law abiding and go about their business in peace.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by BeautifulSE: 11:13am On Dec 26, 2017
This kraseman don show lol. Mr Bi-polar grin cheesy

16 Likes

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by AshiwajuFoward: 11:13am On Dec 26, 2017
BeautifulSE:

Yes o. It is no longer industrialization and payee that are responsible for Ogun state's high IGR but taxes from their traders and gala hawkers. cheesy No wonder Onitsha and Aba markets are generating much higher IGR than Ogun with all those plentiful traders to tax.

103 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 26, 2017
BeautifulSE:

I concur. Their attitude defies aĺl known logic and theory. They are simply cursed

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by Saintsquare(m): 11:19am On Dec 26, 2017
70% IGR another Igbo bureau of statistics

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by wristbangle: 11:22am On Dec 26, 2017
Lol shey we no talk am? These people eh! Any developed section in the world, na dem build am.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by BeautifulSE: 11:27am On Dec 26, 2017
AshiwajuFoward:

Yes o. It is no longer industrialization and payee that is responsible for Ogun state's high IGR but taxes from their traders and gala hawkers. cheesy No wonder Onitsha and Aba markets are generating much higher IGR than Ogun with all those plentiful traders to tax.

Guy, no kill me with laugh abeg grin grin

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by BeautifulSE: 11:33am On Dec 26, 2017
lakhadimar:
I concur. Their attitude defies aĺl known logic and theory. They are simply cursed

grin cheesy grin

16 Likes

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 26, 2017
Our Nigeria... Ogun is no man's land as far it get its own dividend from Lagos we helped Builth... OGUN IS NO MAN LAND.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by Mcsenior(m): 11:39am On Dec 26, 2017
cool

Your natural home made remedies for snake bite just Revealed on NATURAL REMEDY LAB
Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by NCP: 11:41am On Dec 26, 2017
Irukkanews:
the VictmsMentality Syndrome (VMS) is deeply etched in the psyche of IPOB people. It comes in varying proportions. It manifests in form of "outrageous feelgood syndrome", "EnviousHatred towards other neighbouring tribes or races", "AttacheeByForce" and more.

Excerpts from
"VictimsMentality Syndorome Disease: The SE Nigeria Case Studies"
By
Dr. Okechukwuma Obigbo, Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry and Psychotic Diseases, Discoverer of VMS,

Lalasticlala

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by NCP: 11:44am On Dec 26, 2017
Saintsquare:
70% IGR another Igbo bureau of statistics

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by resurgentxtian4: 12:05pm On Dec 26, 2017
BeautifulSE:
This kraseman don show lol. Mr Bi-polar grin cheesy

I am yoruba and I have the right to denounce any act of Islamic terror. Your bipolar blackmail wouldn’t stop me from calling igbos out when they err(as with the case in point).

Half of Yorubas are Christian and we wouldn’t fail to call out Islamic extremists in our midst.

You can keep calling your parents bipolar if you want.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by BeautifulSE: 12:07pm On Dec 26, 2017
Guilty conscience na him go kill you cheesy I've never quoted you before. Not even with an alternate moniker. Na you sabi all that opata wey you dey yarn about Muslim and Christian. But I know say you be bi-polar grin cheesy

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by BeautifulSE: 12:17pm On Dec 26, 2017
Mentally unstable ni bobo yi . Anu e ma n se mi grin

27 Likes

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by NCP: 12:34pm On Dec 26, 2017

source:
IPOB-PDP Bureau of Statistics.

41 Likes

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 26, 2017
this is the dangote cement factory in ogun state. why is dangote not asking for the certificate of indigene despite his contribution to the economic growth of ogun and Lagos where he is currently building the largest oil refinery in Africa.

why must it always be the greedy Ibos who keep requesting for what they cannot offer others in their own land

98 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by resurgentxtian4: 12:53pm On Dec 26, 2017
lakhadimar:
this is the dangote cement factory in ogun state. why is dangote not asking for the certificate of indigene despite his contribution to the economic growth of ogun and Lagos where he is currently building the largest oil refinery in Africa.

why must it always be the greedy Ibos who keep requesting for what they cannot offer others in their own land

Don’t mind them jareeee. That is how they are but we have to devise a plan to counter their threat. This Ogun State version of the whole migration thing is really surprising though. I thought they were only fixated on Lagos...

37 Likes

Re: Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie by Klinee: 12:56pm On Dec 26, 2017
I don't know why many posters here keep referring this as solemnly Igbo agenda. The organization made it clear that this is not an Igbo affair, it's a coalition of different ethnicity in Nigeria and also foreigners. I think it is good gesture, I call on Federal government, all the state government to rally to the support of this agenda toward bring to an end the tribalism and non-indigenious discrimination in this country. It will also help to harmonize and detribalize Nigeria make us a well organized one country. We hope seeing a name like Emeka Okafor as a Governor of Oyo State or Kano State vice versa.

12 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Unknown Gunmen Storm Drinking Joint In Jos, Kill 10 People / Throwback Photo Of Senator Ben Murray-bruce / IPOB Splits Again: RE-IPOB Emerges, Sacks Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.