Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,546 members, 7,801,528 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

What Are The Different Names Of God And What Do They Mean? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Are The Different Names Of God And What Do They Mean? (1243 Views)

Photos: Hilarious Names Of Churches/ Ministries / Names Of God And Their Meanings / Biblical Quotes Proving That Jesus Is Not God And The Absence Of The Trinity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Different Names Of God And What Do They Mean? by ammamat(f): 6:31pm On Apr 05, 2010
What are the different names of God and what do they mean?
Re: What Are The Different Names Of God And What Do They Mean? by jagunlabi(m): 10:01pm On Apr 05, 2010
One very popular name amongst christians is "I Am That I Am", that is if you can call that a name. undecided
The meaning of that "name" is, [b]" Shut the Furck up, Moses, and stop asking me silly questions!I ain't telling you my real name!" [/b]That meaning came from a response from the character behind this jewish deity running rampant on the middle eastern desert, supposedly, who just did not want to reveal his true identity to his chosen prophet, to Moses' request for his name or identity.Due to whatever reason best known to this character, this deity flatly refused to reveal his real name to his chosen people, thereby forcing them to give him all kinds of weird names on their own volition.But modern christians(most especially nigerian christians) had to latch on to this particular phrase and pass it off as a name of a god.Absolutely hilarious! cheesy

I don try well well.NEXT PERSON!! grin
Re: What Are The Different Names Of God And What Do They Mean? by InesQor(m): 5:14am On Apr 06, 2010
jagunlabi:

One very popular name amongst christians is "I Am That I Am", that is if you can call that a name. undecided
The meaning of that "name" is, [b]" Shut the Furck up, Moses, and stop asking me silly questions!I ain't telling you my real name!" [/b]That meaning came from a response from the character behind this jewish deity running rampant on the middle eastern desert, supposedly, who just did not want to reveal his true identity to his chosen prophet, to Moses' request for his name or identity.Due to whatever reason best known to this character, this deity flatly refused to reveal his real name to his chosen people, thereby forcing them to give him all kinds of weird names on their own volition.But modern christians(most especially nigerian christians) had to latch on to this particular phrase and pass it off as a name of a god.Absolutely hilarious!  cheesy

I don try well well.NEXT PERSON!! grin

@jagunlabi: Except you are joking, your reasoning is quite alarming, if you think God said that to Moses to stall on mentioning a name. God was stating the essence of His being.

"I am that I am" translates to what, today, we would call "The Prime Mover", "The Uncaused Cause". And that's what GOD was passing across to Moses. Ok?!

@OP: Can you please tell us the one you refer to as God, when you say "names of God"?
Re: What Are The Different Names Of God And What Do They Mean? by Nobody: 5:48am On Apr 06, 2010
OP

the names of God are self explanatory, unless you meant to post this question in the muslim section?
Re: What Are The Different Names Of God And What Do They Mean? by InesQor(m): 5:55am On Apr 06, 2010
tpia.:

OP

. . .unless you meant to post this question in the muslim section?

I think that's the most likely scenario. 99 names or something. smiley
Re: What Are The Different Names Of God And What Do They Mean? by jagunlabi(m): 6:50am On Apr 06, 2010
InesQor:

@jagunlabi: Except you are joking, your reasoning is quite alarming, if you think God said that to Moses to stall on mentioning a name. God was stating the essence of His being.

"I am that I am" translates to what, today, we would call "The Prime Mover", "The Uncaused Cause". And that's what GOD was passing across to Moses. Ok?!

@OP: Can you please tell us the one you refer to as God, when you say "names of God"?
That is your own interpretation,inesqor.It does not make your own reasoning any more valid.It just sounds fancy and that is all.It is quite clear in the bible that the jewish deity never ever revealed who he was even when he was asked pointedly, and there was no place in the bible where he did reveal his name.If you say there is a place, then show it to me.Either that or you are just engaged in nothing but fancy interpretations.

If someone ask you who you are and you reply with, "I am who i am", how do you think that someone would interprete your response?You guessed it, reluctance to revealing your identity.And that's it.

(1) (Reply)

Angels Round About / Haunted Or Gifted? / The Messiah Is Already Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.