Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,684 members, 7,801,967 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power (1428 Views)

Atiku Is 65% Sure Of Winning APC Ticket- Campaign DG / Atiku Is Meeting States APC Delegates. Where Is The Almighty Buhari? / Is It True Atiku Is Married To An Igbo Woman ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by Pain(m): 5:50am On Feb 28, 2007
Have you ever wondered why a man who in the first 6 years of his public service, never exibited any sign of Love or interest in the progress or development of the Nigerian Project is suddenly professing love?

I mean, lets be very sincere to ourselves devoid of personal or ethnic sentiments: What Does Atiku have to offer.

Can you name one laudable project of Atiku besides his own personal enrichment? I mean, he may argue that the President incapacitated him and that his hands were tied.

But, isn't it common knowledge that the First Term of the Obasanjo Administration was largely a failure vis a vis the Privatization Program because he entrusted the Programme to "Humble" Atiku while he embarked on International Shuttles in the Quest for Image Laundering?

We all know that most of the "laudable" (At Least the Naira Has Returned Home From Arabia tongue) achievements of Obasanjo were achieved in the second term when he woke up to the realisation "Mistake" of delegating authority to a Visionless, Non Creative Personality by the Name Atiku and then hired Technocrats in the Likes of Soludo and Okonjo-Iweala to clean the "Augean Stable"?

Dear Siblings(Fellow Nijjas) the fact is this: Atiku has more Skeletons in His Chest than we realize. His Desperate Quest for the High office is to cover is "Secrets".

The Fact is that Atiku has no Love in his Heart for Nigeria. He is only after his own personal interests. Okay,lets forget his failure at the National Level and narrow it down to his Home State Adamawa where he wields considreable influence over the State Governor Boni(Boney) Haruna. What has he done there in the last 8 years. Any laudable project? Ok Maybe His[b] American[/b] University. If it mmust me an "A" at least Adamawa stats with "A" too.

The answer is : Nothing.

Again, where is the sudden Love for the Niger Delta Cropping Up from? Now Atiku empathizes with the Niger Delta. Give me a break. Sources in the corridors of power can attest to the fact that Atiku abhorred/Detests the people of the Niger Delta. He never fancied any official trip there. He always delegated someone else to go whenever such assignments came up.

Does he think the Deltans are as "Tuber Headed" as him? Who is he trying to fool with his Sodomistic Overtures. Does he think he can violate every state like he has done in Adamawa?

Please lets not subject the Nigerian Project to another tenure of Rape. I assure you that if power ever finds its way in Error into the hands of a Mediocre like Atiku we can be sure that the Rape on our Polity would be very far from the conventional form of Rape we are used to. It would be "Sodomistic" this time around and I doubt if we would ever recover from it.

Lets be resolute this time around. Let us resist medicrity. Lets together say "Never Again!!!". Obasanjo knows the tendencies of this man better than most of us and that accounts for his"Open Resistance" to Atiku's Inordinate Ambition, better to nip it in the budding stage before its too late.

It would be a shame on our Collective Intelligence to Vote A Person of Atiku's Calibre Into Power In Nigeria. The Guy is Damn Empty.

I wonder the Spirit of Error that Came Over the Action Congress Party, I wonder. Pheeeww.
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by Nobody: 7:25am On Feb 28, 2007
If for anything, OBJ's greatest achievement will be handing over to another person come May 29th and making sure that person isn't Atiku. Atiku is definitely corrupt and will do Nigeria no good.

I'm not worried, Atiku will NEVER be president come May 29th, God is alive.
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by joshO: 3:10pm On Feb 28, 2007
I am filled with joy , and hope, that there are indeed people amongst us who can reason at this level, who can see through the smoke screen that is Atiku, through the politics and manipulation of his extremely convuluted mind

Atiku is no mesiah. On the contrary, he is the worst that can happen to our country at this point in time.

I'm confident that his ambitions will be brougt to an abrupt end shortly. Inshah Allah.
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by McKren(m): 3:59pm On Feb 28, 2007
I'm confident that his ambitions will be brougt to an abrupt end shortly. Inshah Allah.

Sorry it has come to an end already just that him Atiku and his allies have refused to believe. Probably they thought Iwu was joking when he asked the AC to replace their candidate.
The only way Atiku can be President right now is to create his own INEC to conduct an election for him and eventually create his own Nigeria he will govern. Because he does'nt seem to accept any laws of the land that is not in his favour and you know where this will finally lead him to??

[size=40pt]jail[/size]
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by Sijien(m): 4:20pm On Feb 28, 2007
amen
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by kabiyesi(m): 6:19am On Mar 01, 2007
If Atiku or Babangida type were to contest this upcoming election, all in the name of democracy, then I say to hell with democracy.
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by rotbog(m): 6:42am On Mar 01, 2007
I detest Atiku . I mean the man is so stuborn i wonder who gave him the false impresion that he is charismatic or has a large following. it is num skulls like him that put a country to war based on false self perceptions of delusions grandeur.

The earlier his ambitions and disgusting personality are abbreviated(u know what that means) the better it would be for the future of Nigeria. Any crisis stemming from any unguided and personaly motivated interests aimed at the disruption of the April elections would further plunge us deeper into the abyss.

This is no prophesy: The earler that empty headed bastard is abbreviated the better for our collective peace. Better to abbbreviate one than to lead 140 million people into untold hardship that may arise from chaos. Lets not underestimate the recent threat by the AC to disrupt April elections.

Sometimes a polity has to do what it has to do to save a majority. Its no sin.

I hope the Leadership gets the message. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by chidichris(m): 7:51am On Mar 01, 2007
we are all aware that he is a standard criminal and he is not arguing that because he knows that his neck is deep inside. no nigerian is seeing atiku as that messiah we have been waiting for neither are we expecting so much from the so called yar adua.
my stand on atiku's issue is that he has accepting crimes but he is saying is not me alone and believe me you whenever a man says it is not only me, it means accpetance and readiness to sing.
many nigerians who are backing atiku till date are only waiting to hear him make use of the microphone and sing to the public.
he is guilty but he is not alone. we are crying for selected justice not for atiku who has been in an ungodly administration for eight years only to come back this last minute to say they are corrupt.
even atiku knows that even if it is a word of prophesy that he will be the president of nigeria, it will not be this 2007.
all his hi - ho was to run away from handcuffs. i am of the opinion that let the same treatment be melted out to other corrupt criminals who are dinning with obj on daily bases. since we want to face the realities on ground, who is more corrupt in nigeria than Adedibu? are we saying that atiku's crime is bigger than what chris uba did in anambra.? who among us here is saying andy uba is elegible for this election?
since we want to say the truth, we should be able to ask again, why is the light only on atiku and kalu? why are they too special? is the fight against corruption taking the right stand if primaries in pdp was based strictly on selection? we are all witnessing the latest problem between the pdp national chairman and obj.
the chairman is saying my wife must be there. obj is saying she did not win primaries so let her go. and the man is saying neither did your daughter win so is either the two remain of the two will go.
so we are crying for favouritism and selfish interest. atiku and buhari should look for what else to do as serving the country is not by force.
the best selling truth is that obj is so much afraid not because of the nation but what he will get in return might atiku become the next president.
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by donnymikky(m): 9:57am On Mar 01, 2007
Atiku presidency is no issue to me because deep within me it is a forgotten issue. Let us all start to rejoice as he acquiers a new bedroom at Kirikiri.
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by bkwrm: 4:33pm On Mar 02, 2007
There is a principle to Atiku's cause like him or not.  Obasanjo cannot arrogate to himself all powers.  He cannot flagrantly abuse court orders and do things like he is beyond the law.  This is not a banna republic and we should not allow it to be so, and in that regard I side with Atiku.  We should look beyond the person of Atiku and side with what is right.  Is it right for the President to sack his vice president?  The court says no. Should the Vice President be loyal to the President or to the Federal Republic of Nigeria?  Again the Court says loyalty is to the Federal Republic of Nigeria.  Does the VP have a right to contest elections?  I believe he does.  Does the president have the power to be the investigator, persecutor and judge?  No I don't think so.  So can the administrative panel set up by the president claim to have indicted the VP?  They can, but the courts will also have to decide the validity of this claim and of course the VP is in court.

These are interesting times in Nigeria and it appears the judiciary has got a lot on its plate.  let us hope those in power will bow down to their decisions when judgement has been passed.  Atiku is doing the right thing by going to the courts, Obasanjo is doing the wrong thing by commiting illigal acts because he can do so.  The senate panel of inquiry into the PTDF scandal says the President has been doing the wrong thing, but they did not explicitly say so.  I wonder why,  Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.  It seems that is where we are heading.

The questions before us all are: what will we as individuals do to protect our democracy if it is democracy we claim we want?  if we want democracy then what kind of governmental system should we practice?  Parliamentary or Presidential System? Should we not change our electoral system from a winner take all one to one where there is proportional representation?  

Or should we start thinking of having a dictatorship, albeit benevolent one?  One that can take us to the heights that we so desire but we have so painfully been denied.

Please let me hear your views.
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by McKren(m): 5:44pm On Mar 02, 2007
Nigeria is already a Banana republic, if there is any dictator in Nigeria today. It is Atiku, he can not go behind the scene bribing Judges to get all sorts of court pronouncement in the hope to bullying everyone else with talks like people are disobeying court order.
The Nigerian courts have become a tool to circumvent the constitution, people will openly flout the constitution because they are able to buy Judges to give them the verdict they want.

Atiku thinks if he is not part of the election then there will be no election?? he also thinks Maurice Iwu will go to jail if he implements the constitution to the letter, please is that not in itself dictatorship?
Atiku can not continue thinking he is the symbol of democracy such that anything not in his favour is undemocrtic. He is single handedly re-writting Nigeria's constitution, the latest now is no aspect of the constitution must be implemented unless the court permits you to do so. grin grin grin grin grin grin

May God forgive me, but I will not mind seeing this VP assasinated if that is only how we can know peace in this country. The likes of IBB, Gusau, Marwa have buried their ambitions for this country to move on, even OBJ accepted loss of his third term for naija to move on, don't know who Atiku thinks he is
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by azorjiu(m): 6:11pm On Mar 02, 2007
What Does Atiku have to offer.

The foreign reserve is huge. What do you think?

Nelson Mandela wannabe. Freedom fighter.
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by Afam(m): 6:27pm On Mar 02, 2007
It seems that the only guarantee he has to stay out of jail is to remain a top politician with the attendant immunity.

Don't be surprise if he decides to contest for the Senate if he feels he is going to fail or disqualified for the presidency.

Immunity for me is the main reason, take away immunity and he will be singing a different song today.
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by shutmouth(m): 9:48pm On Mar 02, 2007
The Nigerian courts have become a tool to circumvent the constitution, people will openly flout the constitution because they are able to buy Judges to give them the verdict they want.

[size=18pt]Judges in Nigeria are Customized!!![/size]
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by McKren(m): 10:01pm On Mar 02, 2007
2007: Atiku's final battle begins

•His N60b wealth exposed • Owns 146 secret homes
•Plot to impeach, arrest him thickens

By EHIS USIAHO and KELECHI DECA

BARELY six weeks to the crucial presidential election to usher in President Olusegun Obasanjo's successor, his deputy, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, still striving to get the electoral umpire's (Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC) nod to vie for the exalted post, may have received another credibility dent capable of throwing him out of contention. Apparently scared of not just losing the presidential ticket of his party, the Action Congress (AC), Atiku, who is afraid of possible impeachment and subsequent arrest by law enforcement agents, believed to have dossier on his deals, is already worried that his supposed ally in opposition, General Muhammadu Buhari's comment, that he (Atiku) is finished politically, has not helped matters.

He is also worried that his pressure on the international community to intervene in order to save him from INEC's disqualification and embarrassment has not yielded results, yet he is being smeared with more financial scandals. He is now fighting a crucial political battle of his life to remain relevant in the emerging political dispensation.

Already, Atiku's anti tenure elongation lawmakers and supporters in the National Assembly, under the aegies of the Senator Uche Chukwumerije's mandate 007, have commenced intensive lobby of the federal lawmakers to back down on the impending moves to impeach the Vice President.

It was learnt that some influential persons outside the National Assembly have already been enlisted for support in stemming the government desperate bid to muzzle Atiku's political ambition and get him jailed on some trumped up charges of corruption.

A seemingly undaunted Atiku had recently dared security agencies, especially the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), to arrest him on corruption, insisting that he can neither be disqualified by INEC nor impeached by the National Assembly.

However, with INEC's revelation that Atiku's picture and name had been removed from the 2007 polls ballot papers, a subtle way of announcing his disqualification from the presidential race, the Vice-President, who has so far won six legal battles against the federal government's move to checkmate his ambition has decided to fight for justice and relevance in all fronts to remain in contention.

National Daily exclusively reported, in its February 18, 2007 edition, that Atiku may be impeached next month.

True to our report, moves have commenced to impeach the Vice-President since the Appeal court ruling in his favour. To this end, he is mobilizing the northern elites against Obasanjo. His allies in the National Assembly are holding meetings to try to bloc the moves. But reliable sources said that the party caucus in the National Assembly recently met with the leadership of the party and President Olusegun Obasanjo, where the decision to have Atiku impeached was made.

Recent revelations on how he allegedly amassed wealth running into billions of naira since becoming the nation's number two man may have further worsened his case. If information available to National Daily is anything to go by, then Vice-President Atiku Abubakar's perception as a softie, when it comes to corruption, will have a basis. Online news service, saharareporters, claimed to have obtained a document indicating that the vice-president's real financial status, which was modest, prior to his assumption of office, has blossomed to an unimaginable proportion. The report further alleged that the vice-president has exponentially increased in his financial wealth to the extent that he now owns about 146 homes in Yola, Adamawa State, in addition to transactions that run into huge sums. It is believed that the President and his deputy have several dealings they may not open up on, no matter the depth of their disagreement.

After his retirement from the Nigeria Customs service where he had served 20 years, Atiku entered the world of business, with interest in oil services, real estate, agriculture, education, and print media, before he finally arrived at the corridors of power. Then, the vice-president owned one house, each in Kaduna, Yola and Lagos. Eight years on as Nigeria's vice president, Atiku is said to have immeasurably transformed his material status. His high profile $25 million university (ABTI- American University) in Yola, and the $8 million he allegedly paid to the American University in Washington DC for a direct license to use the franchise of the university (known as partnership and management consultancy by AU officials), is a critical reference to the investment profile of a public officer, who reportedly did not seek bank loans to execute these gargantuan projects.

When contacted to comment on the nature of the deal with ABTI- American University, Washington DC-based AU's vice-president for International Affairs, Mr. Robert Pastor, said that the $8 million figure, claimed as the cost of doing business with ABTI-American University, was "inaccurate". He, however, refused to reveal the exact cost of the partnership and management consultancy with Atiku's high-profile institution, which, he bragged, became the best in Africa, after one and half years of operation. He said the exact cost of the partnership was confidential.

In the course of his eight years stewardship, Atiku has managed to corner controlling shares in Bank PHB and Intel, an oil services company, which operates in Angola, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon and Sao Tome and Principe; as well as controlling shares in AP Petroleum, which he was forced to divest recently in a hail of controversy regarding the ethics of his management of the country's privatisation programme. Added to all these is the control of huge assets in real estate in Yola, the largest printing press in Northern Nigeria, and the Faro private water business.
The vulnerability of the vice-president, who, in the last lap of his two-term tenure, has allegedly recorded N60 billion worth of bank transactions, has made it easy for critics to point at elite corruption in order to illustrate the failure of national efforts at constructing a fair, accountable and transparent polity. The vice-president was alleged to have diverted $125 million from the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) into his personal businesses.

Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Nuhu Ribadu, told the Senate Ad Hoc Committee on the Probe of the PTDF that "Atiku Abukakar is the Vice-President of Nigeria and was the one overseeing the activities of the PTDF. He inaugurated the Interim Management Committee of the fund in 2000. He played prominent roles in the approvals for the release of PTDF funds and their placement in two banks. The VP had an outstanding interest in the placement of the PTDF funds in these two banks. For one, even the $125 million for the implementation of some specific projects was not utilised for that purpose because of their diversion to and placement in the two banks (TIB and ETB).

As these funds were hitting the two preferred banks, "loans" were packaged by TIB, even without adequate collateral, for Atiku's long-time friend and business associate, Otunba Oluwole Johnson Haliru Fasawe, through NDTV and Mofas. In Mofas, one of the directors is Alhaji Adamu Abubakar, Atiku's son. Though the name was not stated as a director of Marine Float, evidence abounds that the account is controlled by him. First, the VP admitted he paid N30 million for the property from that account; secondly, most of the beneficiaries from the account are his friends and associates. Ribadu further stated that: "similarly, as the funds were hitting ETB, Otunba Mike Adenuga made $20 million deposit for Globacom licence, the Second National Carrier. A little scrutiny of the equity ownership structure of the company revealed that Otunba Mike Adenuga lied about the ownership of the company. When the transfer of the $50 million by PTDF from its account in UBA Plc, New York was made in ETB, Mike Adenuga gave the Vice-President the sum of N322 million (i.e. N300 million on 27/11/02 and N22 million on 06/03/03) through his Marine Float account, domiciled in Bank PHB Plc, through his aides, Akinyera and Ajibade. N21 million was paid to the VP through a draft raised in the name of Umar Pariya, his Personal Assistant.”

The Vice-President allegedly held several meetings with the US Congressman, Williams J. Jefferson, both in Nigeria and abroad, in relation to business ventures, which included NDTV and Rosecom.net, an ISP. When the business relationship between NDTV and iGate collapsed, his assistance was sought to extinguish the outstanding approximately $2 million already paid by NDTV. Even though he denied assistance on extinguishing the amount, he accepted conveying a letter from US Congressman, Jefferson, to the then Minister of Communications, Chief Cornelius Adebayo, in relation with iGate and Rosecom.net business venture.

"The vice president's business interest in NDTV was allegedly confirmed when he made an initial deposit of N30 million on January 1, 2003 from his Marine Float account in Bank PHB Plc for the purchase of the N200 million property being used as NDTV Head Office. His interest also influenced the placement of PTDF funds in TIB from where Otunba Fasawe obtained "loan" and completed the payment of N170 million for the property at Wuse. The Vice-President's interest in NDTV is further buttressed by the fact that he even acted as a referee to Fasawe for the sourcing of the licensing of NDTV in the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC). Investigation also revealed that the Vice-President severally met contractors of NDTV at Jada, his hometown, on his interest in the company."

The burden of proof on Atiku today, therefore, rests on how he hopes to construct a coherent argument that his two decades of public service in the customs department is enough to make him the multi-millionaire and one of the nation's richest businessmen; and how he wants to lead a nation struggling to crawl out of the quagmire created by a reputation of grand corruption when he could supervise such brazen deals at PTDF and seek to legitimise it as a normal and appropriate state policy.
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by betantee(m): 10:47pm On Mar 03, 2007
What a good question.Maybe Nigeria belongs to him. I dey looku n laffu
Re: Why Atiku Is So So Desperate For Power by Topsido(m): 6:09pm On Mar 06, 2007
How i wish ATIKU end up in jail!

(1) (Reply)

Slaves In Sudan / Drop Your Prayer Request For The President! / Our New Politics Moderator: Jarus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.