Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,827 members, 7,806,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee (1541 Views)

Jamb Requests Approval For Increasing Utme Fee / JAMB: Reps Demand Reduction Of UTME Fee To N3000 / Please Help Me With Adekunle Ajasin University Post Utme Fee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by LibertyRep: 12:16pm On Dec 27, 2017
The 2018 race for admission into Tertiary institutions in Nigeria effectively commenced when JAMB rolled out the registration for its UTME earlier this month. The admission process is fraught with wanton exploitation of the hapless candidates and their parents/guardians. Regrettably , the chief culprit in this official fleecing of candidates is JAMB itself.

How do we explain JAMB, a government agency, charging #5000 (aside the #500 for the literature text and #700 for registration at the CBT center) for an exam in Nigeria, that may not last more than 3 hours,the validity of which is still not more than a year. Let’s look at the SSCE by WAEC for instance, this body charges about #14000 for her examinations that have validity of ‘forever’, and entails more number of days (sometimes more than a month), practical exams, logistics and not to talk of paying thousands of supervisors and examiners to mark the scripts. In this same Nigeria and under the same biting economy, one would expect that a government agency would better look for ways to lessen citizens' burdens.

JAMB in its characteristic exploiting business charges #2500 per every UTME data correction ranging from Date of Birth, Gender e.t.c and ultimately , the Change of Course or Institution. This is where the JAMB (probably colluding the institutions further cheat the candidates). Let me explain; while registering for the UTME, candidates are compelled to choose four institutions viz 1st choice ,2nd choice ,3rd choice and 4th choice. The reality however is that a candidate would only be eligible to write the contentious Post UTME into only his/her as 1st choice institution as most schools will make it clear that only candidates who pick them as 1st choice should buy the Post UTME form. Most candidates therefore would be forced to part with another #2500 in favour of JAMB to be able to change the hitherto 2nd choice to 1st choice to be eligible to write the Post UTME. Can you blame the admission seekers for being desperate? Definitely no! JAMB, who is going to be the beneficiary of the #2500 for the change of institution, shouldn’t have looked the other way. Why make candidates select 4 institutions ab initio when they won’t be allowed to write Post UTME into their 2nd choice institutions eventually?

More than 1.7 million candidates wrote the last UTME. We were also told that JAMB made a remittance of more than #5billion to the coffers of the government. While Kudos must be given to the Registrar, we should not be unmindful of the fact that JAMB shouldn’t be in contention with the FIRS and the Customs in generating revenue for the government. The more than #5billion remitted to the FG divided by the number of candidates that wrote the exam gives about #2941 per candidate. Hence I do not think JAMB should charge more than #2500 for the UTME.

If the members of the National Assembly are not accomplices,I sincerely wish they will for once rise to the defence of the hapless masses and make JAMB gives the justification for charging candidates exorbitantly. Concerned candidates and their parents should write petitions to the National Assembly and The Presidency for the review of JAMB activities otherwise next year’s fee might just jump to #10000. Whoever thought that candidates would be made to pay #50 to obtain a registration code this year?

The propriety or otherwise of the Post UTME as well as the obnoxious Acceptance fee would be discussed later (a battle at a time).

The summary of the agitation is;
1. UTME registration fee should not have been more than #2500 Except it’s validity is extended beyond a year.

2. The cost of UTME data correction should not have been more than #1000. Imagine someone having to pay another #5000 to correct Date of Birth and Change Institution.

3. JAMB should either restrict candidates to only one Institution or instruct institutions to allow candidates write the Post UTME be it 1st or 2nd choice without having to pay for change of institution

* You can add to the above listed grouses.

# LibertyRep.
Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by etzskillz(m): 12:21pm On Dec 27, 2017
#ScrapJAMB
#EndJAMB

FG and the ministry of education should allow each Institution to conduct entry exam or attitude test by herself
Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by googlestar(f): 12:36pm On Dec 27, 2017
Jamb should be scrapped, imagine charging someone 2500 just to make a data correction.
Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by LibertyRep: 2:35pm On Dec 27, 2017
etzskillz:
#ScrapJAMB
#EndJAMB

FG and the ministry of education should allow each Institution to conduct entry exam or attitude test by herself

Very well. I understand that JAMB cannot be scrapped by mere pronunciation of the FG except the Act establishing it is repealed. This might not come anytime soon.

In the interim, we can advocate for the reduction of the UTME fee.
Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by LibertyRep: 2:46pm On Dec 27, 2017
googlestar:
Jamb should be scrapped, imagine charging someone 2500 just to make a data correction.

So many candidates this year had reason to change either course or institution or both and ended up paying up to #5000 again for an admission that is elusive.

Painfully, many of them would still buy the form this time again
Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by SESknowledge: 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2017
It appears that various government agencies want to outdo one another in their hypocritical quest to please the Federal Government not minding if the poor masses are squeezed to death.

The sort of stress admission seekers are made to undergo for an admission that may not eventually come is mind boggling. It's not even as if the institutions are World Class self.

No wonder many who have the means take their wards overseas.
Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by LibertyRep: 7:48pm On Dec 28, 2017
SESknowledge:
It appears that various government agencies want to outdo one another in their hypocritical quest to please the Federal Government not minding if the poor masses are squeezed to death.

The sort of stress admission seekers are made to undergo for an admission that may not eventually come is mind boggling. It's not even as if the institutions are World Class self.

No wonder many who have the means take their wards overseas.

Since a large percentage of Nigerians cannot afford to go overseas now. Don't you think we should not fold our arms and watch these people stiffens us to 'death'
Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by SESknowledge: 3:22pm On Dec 29, 2017
LibertyRep:

Since a large percentage of Nigerians cannot afford to go overseas now. Don't you think we should not fold our arms and watch these people stiffens us to 'death'

Definitely. I wish there's anything we could do about it like a campaign on twitter to bring this to public discuss.

The Telecos, Power companies and Banks would still do theirs.

You might have to wait till this gets to the front page so as to garner much support.
Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by LibertyRep: 4:42pm On Dec 30, 2017
SESknowledge:

Definitely. I wish there's anything we could do about it like a campaign on twitter to bring this to public discuss.

The Telecos, Power companies and Banks would still do theirs.

You might have to wait till this gets to the front page so as to garner much support.

Alright. I wish the voice is raised loud enough before so many prospective candidates pay for the form
Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by MexicanWolf: 7:17am On Jan 05, 2018
I think we have entered a dangerous place where the emphasis is on how much more revenue JAMB can generate. For the avoidance of doubt, JAMB is not a revenue generation body.

In my opinion, nobody should buy any UTME form until JAMB clarifies the validity period Of the result.

1.7 million candidates write the UTME last year. How many scored above the the recommended cut off marks? How many got admitted into schools? How many couldn't get admitted? These are questions JAMB must answer.

Should somebody who scored 250 last year have to write the UTME this year again? Is it the persons fault that available places are so limited?

Selling 2 million forms when spaces are so limited is wicked and outrageous. We need to stop this.
Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by LibertyRep: 10:34am On Jan 06, 2018
MexicanWolf:
I think we have entered a dangerous place where the emphasis is on how much more revenue JAMB can generate. For the avoidance of doubt, JAMB is not a revenue generation body.

In my opinion, nobody should buy any UTME form until JAMB clarifies the validity period Of the result.

1.7 million candidates write the UTME last year. How many scored above the the recommended cut off marks? How many got admitted into schools? How many couldn't get admitted? These are questions JAMB must answer.

Should somebody who scored 250 last year have to write the UTME this year again? Is it the persons fault that available places are so limited?

Selling 2 million forms when spaces are so limited is wicked and outrageous. We need to stop this.

That’s exactly the point I'm driving at and I wish the moderators here help give it the needed attention.

I know of a candidate who scored more than 300 in the last UTME and yet couldn't get admission into UI to study Medicine. His post utme score was 69 while the cut-off for Medicine was 71 (as learnt). This candidate, of course, has to buy another UTME form this year again as the over 300 score has gone down the drains.

It's glaring now that JAMB is solely concerned about how much it generates and definitely not about the welfare of the candidates.

Again, UTME fee should not be more than #2500 unless it's validity is reviewed upward. Let's put pressure on all concerned ; JAMB, NASS, Presidency et al.

#MODERATORS
Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by SESknowledge: 1:10pm On Jan 09, 2018
LibertyRep:

That’s exactly the point I'm driving at and I wish the moderators here help give it the needed attention.

I know of a candidate who scored more than 300 in the last UTME and yet couldn't get admission into UI to study Medicine. His post utme score was 69 while the cut-off for Medicine was 71 (as learnt). This candidate, of course, has to buy another UTME form this year again as the over 300 score has gone down the drains.

It's glaring now that JAMB is solely concerned about how much it generates and definitely not about the welfare of the candidates.

Again, UTME fee should not be more than #2500 unless it's validity is reviewed upward. Let's put pressure on all concerned ; JAMB, NASS, Presidency et al.

#MODERATORS

Candidates should be properly guided on what course to chose and at which institution so as not to continually enrich JAMB.
That guy may not be able to score up to 300 this year. The validity of UTME should just be extended beyond a year.
UTME candidates and their sponsors should rise up and make their voices heard

1 Like

Re: A Call For A Downward Review Of The UTME Fee by NaijaBlend: 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2018
Please, who has the data for how much it cost in enroll in JAMB year-by-year in the last five to 10 years?

1. 2018
2. 2017
3. 2016
4. 2015
5. 2014
6. 2013
7. 2012
8. 2011
9. 2010
10. 2009

Or the cost for at least in the last FIVE years?

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Seeks Completion Of Renegotiation With FG To Suspend Strike / 18 Things Only OAU Students Can Relate To (Photo Illustrations) / Strike: We Acted On Court Order, Issues Still Unresolved - ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.