Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,010 members, 7,803,358 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

Devils In Disguise (play) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Devils In Disguise (play) (916 Views)

Beauty In Disguise - Feather's Stories / Beauty In Disguise - Feather's Stories / The Devils Touch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Devils In Disguise (play) by Roc10(m): 12:38pm On Dec 27, 2017
Hello Nairalanders, I am a writer and have a great story I would like to share with you all. It's so fantastic that will make you glued to your screen. Any lover of literature would love to read this book. Criticism and comments are welcomed. Thank y'all.

Re: Devils In Disguise (play) by alleazardous(m): 1:01pm On Dec 27, 2017
Following..... Mention me when you start
Re: Devils In Disguise (play) by Roc10(m): 1:04pm On Dec 27, 2017
alleazardous:
Following..... Mention me when you start

I see you there Alleazardous. Welcome
Re: Devils In Disguise (play) by Roc10(m): 1:41pm On Dec 27, 2017
This is a work of fiction. Similarities to real people,
places, or events are entirely coincidental.
DEVILS IN DISGUISE
First edition. October 1, 2017.
Copyright © 2017 Reginald Obetta.
Written by Reginald Obetta

ACT ONE SCENE ONE

The clock struck 8.30 am, yet the weather was still as cozy as it would be by 2.am.Temperature running at 12°c on the outside of the paint house in the Couches Boulevard.Embedded in the cool colours of blue and white for the preference of its quality of cool headedness, the castle was old fashioned built like the early 1900 French style, a dimer window on the slate roof with a chimney, a balcony proximal to the sash window and the door, on the left wing, half a hectare of garden with beauteous evergreen trees, bringing a beauteous sunshade in the lucent green coloured terrace up until the driveway, an Olympic size swimming pool by the left gazebo.The inside controvert the outside.The decor stylishly put in a more contemporary manner, with the same painting of the outside on in the inside with the exception of the yellow cushion thit gave the sitting room a more revealing bright appearance. A glass table was placed in the centre on a blue and white stripped mat with a bunch of rose flower vase on it and a folded newspaper on it.White coloured curtains hung on each exit.In the dinning table by the left hand side of the kitchen, a maid servant carries a tray of porridge, scrambled eggs, cutleries and pancakes, along with two others that aided in the setup.A relatively short man in his early sixties with a protruded stomach, roman nose and broad face, of about 4ft 9 inches clad in three piece English brown coloured suit walked to the dinning trailed by a tall ebony woman approaching half a century in age supposedly his wife, still looks like she was in her early thirties. Fifteen minutes later, a belle advances to the table of the couple in her pyjamas. She is in her early thirties probably, curvaceous body type, gorgeous medium sized eyeball, immaculate curved lips and appealing red cheeks.
(REBECCA): (excited) Bonjour Dad and mum.(she sits).
(MR KORSAKOFF): Becky, you are not in Lyon but Pretoria.
(REBECCA): It's just an uncomplicated good morning dad.
(MRS ANNA): Don't listen to your dad.He's so obsessed about you staying away so long from him.How was your first night here in eight years or so?
(REBECCA):8 years,7 months,3weeks and five days to be precise. I had a swell night.One of the best I have had in a long while.I must admit it's a bit colder here even up till this morning.I could barely behold a little ray of the sun pass through the window to warm my room, the fog wouldn't let me see that.I miss the early morning song that is being played to steer people out of their beds that would want me to get hold of my pillow.It was all loving by the way.I already miss Lyon.
(MR KORSAKOFF): I reckon you have been away for a long time my dear.Have your breakfast and maybe we will discuss about our company later
(REBECCA): What do we have here?Pancakes,porridge. Oh no! I miss the bouillabaisse I get to take at Manon restaurant after my morning jogging.
(MR KORSAKOFF) : (To Mrs Anna) Why is your daughter so obsessed with Lyon?This is the second time she is comparing the two cities.
(MRS ANNA): My dear, this is your home.You can't take that away from you. Your beautiful Lyon isn't your city.
(REBECCA): Well, it's my second home.I have been there for eight years now.(Turning to one of the maids) I will preferably, take a cup of coffee and not these.
(MRS ANNA): You used to love porridge and pancakes when you were little, reminisce.
(REBECCA): Oh mum! I used to but not any more.I just need to keep myself warm.I will eat later.(The maid returns with a cup of coffee and she takes it in one gulp, to the wonderment of her parents, returning the empty cup on the table).
(REBECCA): I feel a lot better.Get me more.(The maid returns with another jug and departs).
(MR KORSAKOFF): (Clears his throat) Becky, I think it's the right time you walk down the aisle.(Rebecca spills her coffee on the table cloth, Mrs Anna drops her fork in a noisy behaviour).
(MRS ANNA): (Staring at her husband) Darling, don't you think this is a clumsy moment to debate this.The lady just got back home and needs time to rest. It's untime
(MR KORSAKOFF): It isn't my dear, moreover, Becky has had sufficient repose. She has been sleeping since when she got back last night and this is 9.13 am.So the time is now.
(MRS ANNA): I still think it isn't the perfect time.
(MR KORSAKOFF): Well, Becky, your boyfriend and his parents would be dropping by later today.So I would like you to get prepared.
(REBECCA): Am receiving no one and beside, he isn't my boyfriend. Not anymore.
(MRS ANNA): And why is that?
(REBECCA): We got disengaged over the phone.
(MR KORSAKOFF): Well well well.I cannot remember sanctioning that insane protocol as far as my intellectuals are complete, you are still in this with him.Besides, he never disclosed to me about that.
(REBECCA): Don't pin this on me.Why can't you hear what I have to say before putting me on the cross.
(MR KORSAKOFF): Your opinion at this juncture doesn't matter and am putting no one on the cross.You just have to compromise everything to marry him.
(REBECCA): Am not walking down the aisle with that man.A man that betrayed my trust and love.I don't love him anymore.
(MR KORSAKOFF): What do you know about love?
(MRS ANNA): Honey, please let's hear her reason for refusing.
(MR KORSAKOFF): (Furious) Here what Anna.Her stupid reason for refusing a man of high reputation and social class and of a family of integrity.Surely don't tell me you support her clueless statement.
(MRS ANNA): Am supporting no one here.All am saying is that she deserves a fair hearing.
(MR KORSAKOFF): What fair hearing? Tell me.She's a daughter to you as mine and am treating her the way it ought to be and whatever her reason is, it's invalid.That engagement still stands.
(REBECCA): I feel nothing for him anymore. Not what he did behind my back.
(MR KORSAKOFF): Do you really know what you want my dear? Tell me.How old are you gonna be this year.
(REBECCA): Thirty two and I know what I want.
(MR KORSAKOFF): I bet you don't and still immature. You see, love is like an invaluable jewel hidden in a box under the ground, you search with a headlamp looking for that spot where it is day after day and night after night digging so deep in the process and when you find it eventually, you hold it close to your chest and run to the nearest jeweller to know the worth.You have that priceless jewel and don't be foolish to throw it in the bin least someone picks it up at your expense.
(REBECCA): I see no jewel in Alexander.You're insinuating on what is not.
(MRS ANNA): Becky please, I don't know why this is happening but I assure you your dad and I want the best for you.You just put away your differences and marry Alexander. He is a good man and will surely learn from whatever mistakes he has done.You deserve a highly reputable man by your side to run your father's company with you.That what's paramount.
(REBECCA)sadSurprised) You too mum with dad.I can't go back on my decision.
(MR KOSAKOFF): Then who is the man after your heart? Surely there is a man worthy of my blessings, of high reputation and social stratification, a man who has a hundred of maids and owns businesses in every continent. Tell me Becky.Who is the lucky man?
(REBECCA): No, he doesn't have all those exuberance and acclaim of wealthiness. I can swear he is much more of a perfect gentleman than Alexander or any of his clown friends.
(MR KORSAKOFF): I forbid you insulting the son of my childhood friend.
(REBECCA): I mean no insult but the indelible facts.He is wonderful, kind, forbearing, full of smiles and vibrant. He has all the qualities a woman needs in a man.I think I am in love with him.He is by a distance, the best man I ever knew, so different from so called social class men.(Smiling) I think am going to be his bride.
(MR KORSAKOFF): You know that is very impossible. The only difference existing between him and the reputable men is the tremendous gap of wealth. He neither dines with Kings nor with Queens, the President nor the Governors. He neither belongs to the fidalgo nobility in Portugal nor that of the hidalgo in Spain.
(REBECCA):Wealth or nobility doesn't matter any more to me.It has placed wrinkles on my face just because you want me to marry no common man.
(MRS ANNA): Where did you meet him?
(REBECCA): Oh mum, I met him some months ago here prior to your calling me back home.
(MRS ANNA): Oh you have been on a frequent visit here just to see him right?And you didn't care to stop by or give us a call.That is bad of you.
(REBECCA): No mum, on the contrary, I was on a business visit to Graham Steel Company, and after the visit, I left in my car for the airport only for the car to break down after a mile or two.Luckily, he passed by and helped me out in seconds, and that's when I realised we had a chemistry. It was pure love at first sight.For a moment, I never believed it really existed until he came, and now I can testify it really exists.You and dad gave me the backing to do anything and go any where as far as is profitable to our company.
(MR KORSAKOFF): We did give you the backing but not to flirt with a common man like...
(REBECCA): Oh please stop dad.Don't insult him please.You have to respect him.He is an auto mechanical engineer.
(MR KORSAKOFF): A man like that doesn't deserve the respect of even a chicken.By the way, you won't marry him.Not as long as am still blinking my eye lashes and half a billion dollars from reaching my first twenty billion.He isn't going to be my son in-law.Tell me, who is his father?
(REBECCA): His Father is late and it doesn't matter who he was.My intentions are clear dad and...
(MR KORSAKOFF): Listen ,You won't find a man that's so into you like Alexander, a rare gem and jewel for my beautiful daughter.
(REBECCA): (Remonstrating).Oh stop dad.Don't infest me with those antagonising words.They itch my pinnae.You can't enforce Alexander on me.I have made up my mind.
(MR KORSAKOFF): You are going to be Alex's bride.
(REBECCA): No dad.Not in this life or after.
(MR KORSAKOFF): If you go against my will, you will lose everything you have and I will disown you as my own flesh and blood because I can see you no longer have the Korsakoff blood running through your veins.
(MRS ANNA): Don't do that honey, I beg of you.It hasn't really come to that.I believe she would change her mind.Don't treat her like a total stranger.
(REBECCA): Why? Because am on the verge of disobeying you.I need no wealth nor riches to be happy.Am sorry, I have lost my appetite.(Exit Rebecca).
(MR KORSAKOFF AND MRS ANNA)sadCalling out) Becky! Becky! (Both exit).
To be continued tomorrow.
You can read full book here https://okadabooks.com/search?term=Devils+In+Disguise+
Re: Devils In Disguise (play) by Roc10(m): 3:18pm On Dec 27, 2017
Drop your comments please.
Re: Devils In Disguise (play) by Roc10(m): 11:31am On Dec 28, 2017
Good morning Nairalanders.
It is now evening in the Couches Boulevard.Mr Korsakoff is sitting down with his wife on the cushion staring at a romantic TV show.The bell is ringing on the door, causing an intolerable distraction.The maid-servant rushes to the door and returns immediately.Rebecca enters also dressed beautifully and elegantly in a red overflowing gown, a nice cleavage and a weaved hair, as if expecting someone very close to the heart.
(Maid-servant one): Sir, it's a male visitor.He wants to see you.
(MR KORSAKOFF): Let him in.He should be Alexander. (The maid-servant leaves.To Rebecca, smiling) You look amazing this evening.I hope you have forgotten what occurred earlier. I know you are eager to meet Alexander and reconcile your differences.
(REBECCA)sadDelighted) I have no memory of that anymore.
A young man is allowed inside, clad in a black coat and navy blue jeans, wearing a warm smile on his handsome face.He looks young and one could tell he is not from a reputable class.He has in his hands a leather bag and a bunch of rose flowers in both hands.Rebecca creeps from her seat and meets him, the couple are stunned in disbelief.
(REBECCA): (Kissing him) Good to see you finally came.
(KEN): Its nice to be here.You never told me you live here.
(REBECCA): I didn't want to get you bothered.Now you know.This is my parents' home.(Staring at the gifts) These look perfect.
(KEN): Sure for my gorgeous lady.You look Exquisite.
(REBECCA): Thank you sweetheart.
(MR KORSAKOFF): Becky, you never told me you were expecting a visitor.
(REBECCA); Yes he wouldn't be a visitor after today because he is now part of the family and forgive my manners for if you knew of him,you wouldn't have been in this room with him and behold his shadows. Ken, these are my parents and mum, dad, this is my beloved part.
(KEN): So good to finally meet the famous Korsakoff family.
(MR KORSAKOFF): It's never been a more unpleasurable day as this, meeting you in person.
(REBECCA): (Smiling) Why don't you sit while I get you something special.
(KEN): Thank you (They kiss before she departs).
(MRS ANNA)sadWhispering) Don't you find the young man attractive honey? We should know more about him.
(MR KORSAKOFF)sadShouting at the top of his voice) There is nothing attractive about a man dressed in complete shambles.Rather, I find him repulsive and unfit.There is nothing to know Annie.
(KEN): Am sorry but you know nothing tangible about me.
(MR KORSAKOFF): Who cares who you are? After all, your appearance speaks for you.OK, let's find about a little about our unwelcomed visitor.How old are you?
(KEN)sadEmbarrassed) I beg your pardon.
(MRS ANNA): That is an awkward question to start with darling.
(MR KORSAKOFF): Not at all Annie. I ought to find out everything about anybody that is with my daughter and I think I started on the right note.After all, you said we should find out a little information about him.So Mr, answer the question.
(KEN)sadReluctant) Am thirty.

(MR KORSAKOFF): (Astonished) What, you don't mean what you said, do you?
(KEN): That's the truth.
(MR KORSAKOFF): (Laughing wickedly) I like you already for your honesty and sincerity.But first of all, a man younger than my daughter cannot get close to my daughter let alone be my son in-law. (Enter Rebecca with a plate of mashed potatoes and fried eggs on a tray, handing them to Ken).
(REBECCA): Dad, mum, I want to say...
(MR KORSAKOFF): Say what huh? You dare bring a man younger than you are to my home as your boyfriend. What kind of a woman does that and what kind of a man so irresponsible is that?
(REBECCA): (Angry) It's my life Dad, I choose who I want to be with.Moreover, the age isn't far apart and many women marry men far younger than them in this present age.
(MR KORSAKOFF): That's a silly talk.Listen to yourself for a second.You want to be like those women that have no eye brows, no shame.I wouldn't let you go that way, your life is my life also.I wouldn't have provided all things you have if you weren't part of my life.Everything I have been through in life is because I want the very best for you and now you want to repay me with this half baked man.
(REBECCA): I forbid you father from insulting my boyfriend.
(KEN): I have been insulted well enough just for today.I never expected to be treated so harshly.
(REBECCA): (Pleading) Am sorry Ken.I assure you my family isn't like this.
(MR KORSAKOFF): That's what you get when you are uninvited to my home.(To Rebecca) haven't you heard of me and your mother, how we met and got married and the rest of the story. I was way too much older when I met her, then she was a correspondent and all I knew was how to do the calculations, plus and minus as a young purposeful adult. We went on a few dates and that's where I discovered within my jurisdictions that I have found a desirable woman. She was the best thing that ever happened to me and I never regretted it. She was my first and only love till date. We had our quarrels for sure but it never broke us apart and that's how a family reacts to the good and to the bad. You ain't going to marry a man who get your spine broken and your cheek bone all swelled up when things get to swing to the other side.
(KEN) :I am not in that category of men Sir.
(ANNA) :That's the point Becky. You need not make a mistake in marrying a man younger than you are. You might get exploited because of how successful you are.
(REBECCA) :You know quite alright that nobody is perfect in a union. I guess you two learnt many things through it and not before because it's a process.
(ANNA) :We know but it isn't right in what you want to do.
(REBECCA) :What isn't right in marrying a man you are in love with? I have never found true love in my entirety, not one good man. I love Ken and am going to marry him.
(MR KORSAKOFF) :Impossible!
(KEN) : (Stands); Am leaving Becky. I can't take this anymore. (To the couple) thank you for the reception.It's nice knowing you all. (Going out).
(REBECCA) sadGoes after him) Ken, please don't go, please, please(The door is shut behind) Why are you doing this to me? Ruining my life for your selfish interest like what you did to my first love. I have my own life, am matured that's why you entrusted one of your companies in my care. You don't have to control me like a robot.
(KORSAKOFF) :You wouldn't have been heading if your late brother was alive and you know that.
(REBECCA) :I hate you and your old aristocratic ideas. (Exit).
(ANNA) :Becky has metamorphosed into something I can't control.
(KORSAKOFF) :Of course you can control her like you have always done. She hates me now. Am like the Devil. So you fix her up. (The maid-servant runs to the door and returns on hearing another bell ring )
(MAID SERVANT ONE): It's a male visitor Sir.
(KORSAKOFF) :Look, I don't want more surprises, doesn't he have a name?
(MAID SERVANT ONE) :Sir, it's Alexander Craft.
(KORSAKOFF) :Oh, let him in, that's the right visitor I have been expecting all day. (Exit the maid-servant, she returns with an uncommon cordial, amiable handsome looking man probably in his late thirties, huge but not robust, clad in an elegant suit of happiness.His tie and shirt collar button is loosened, probably exhausted by the day's job, a small polished head that still glows even till dark, little carved moustache, blue eyes and a youthful fair complexion. All these entails a gentleman who is about to get involved in sarcasm, a man who will enjoy and suffer later as his hands were tucked neatly in his pockets but releases them as soon his eyes came upon the couple, exchanging warm pleasantries).
(KORSAKOFF) :What a pleasant day in seeing you Alexander.How are you?
(ALEXANDER) :Very well sir. Quite a busy day it was at the company today. How are you Mrs Anna?
(ANNA) :Delightful and delighted to see you visit.
(KORSAKOFF) :Please sit,.What would you like to take?
(ALEXANDER) :A cup of coffee with some cubes of sugar please.(The lanky maid servant attention was called, returning with a cup and pack of cubes of sugar).
(KORSAKOFF) :How is my old amigo doing? He was supposed to be here with you and your mother.
(ALEXANDER) :He sends his apologies for not coming. Personal and family reasons he says but promises to visit soon. Where is Becky?
(ANNA) :She would be here in minutes. Have already sent a maid to fetch her.
(KORSAKOFF) :You know she wouldn't miss you for anything in this world. Not even if her father is dying.
(ALEXANDER) sadLaughing) I don't think that would be possible.
(KORSAKOFF) :Of course it is. It's no twist.
(ANNA) :She is here. (Rebecca approaches them with unkempt fluffy hair, unmatching chaotic red and purple coloured outfit of mourning and grief. Her facial expressions is of a widow in bereavement of her late husband. Her appearance was despicable and horrible, leaving a dark squeeze on her parents' faces .She sits on the couch without a word voiced out of her curved lips , keeping to her reservations).
(KORSAKOFF) :What is the meaning of this unmitigated insanity Becky?You dare dress this shabbily to see your childhood boyfriend. Retain that atom of respect for your parents and your boyfriend by changing that shame you have on.
(REBECCA) :He is not...
(ALEXANDER) :It's not a problem really (To Rebecca), you look as beautiful as the rainbow, as clear as the crystal and amiable in that dress.
(REBECCA) :I don't need to have a word with you. Your presence irritates me and you are already becoming an allergy to me.
(ALEXANDER) :Why would you say that to me?
(ANNA) :Alexander, were you in anyway found guilty of disloyalty and infidelity to my daughter.
(ALEXANDER) No Mrs Anna, I have never been associated with any other woman except your daughter nor disloyal to her.
(REBECCA) He is lying to you mum.
(ANNA) :Then why did she breakup her engagement with you.
(ALEXANDER): It was nothing of concern.We had a disagreement over the phone of which would be sorted out.
(REBECCA) :Why are you cooking up fabrications?I have my informant disguised that monitors your everyday move ever since I left for Lyon.She caught you flirting with your concubine on numerous occasions from the bar to the motel to hanging out in the beach to...
(ALEXANDER) :And you believe that? How am I to do something as insensible as that?Am a gentleman and you know that, there is only you Becky.
(REBECCA) :And why would she lie to me about you.
(ANNA) :It's simple sweetheart, jealousy of who you are, what you have accomplished and everything you own.
(REBECCA) :Mum, I can't believe what you just said. My friend's family is just as rich as anybody in the society. Your reasons are totally out of reasoning.
(ANNA) :Well, I don't know.
(ALEXANDER) :I swear Becky, on my knowledge and our relationship that I partook in no such things.
(REBECCA) :Stop lying to me Alex, You want to lie right in front of my parents that you didn't take her shopping to Macrock boutique, kissed her in front of Beverly Parks, with a present of a black box containing an expensive diamond ring. I have all the videos posted to me Alex.
(KORSAKOFF) sadPerplexed); Are these true Alexander?
(ALEXANDER) :Of course not Sir. Do you believe am innocent?
(KORSAKOFF) :I do believe. As far as I know, you are a good man and a good son of my friend and I completely trust in you. I assure you, infidelity or not, disabled or not, you will tie the knot with my daughter in two days time, and our empire will continue to flourish like the flowers in the garden, joined together for eternity.
(REBECCA) :You never seems to amaze me dad.There is no iota of truth in men anymore, you dad, Alex, no one except Ken.
(ALEXANDER) :And who is Ken?
(KORSAKOFF) :A nobody.
(REBECCA) :Ken is the only true man left in this world and it's him I will spend the rest of my days with. Am marrying no man except him.
(ALEXANDER) :Impossible, you are not marrying a man without a name, not when am alive.
(REBECCA ):You are dead to me. (She stands to leave but was held by the arms by Alexander, he dips his left hand in his jacket, bringing out a red coloured box with a love decor on top, he uplifts it to the air on her breast level and opens to reveal a glittering necklace strenuously waiting to be hanged on the neck).
(ALEXANDER) sadKneeling) Am sorry, I don't want you to get mad at me even if I have done nothing.Accept this please as a symbol of renewal of my love to you.
(REBECCA) :Just go home.Am in no mood for your tantrum. (Exit Rebecca, Korsakoff shakes his head in contempt before exiting with Anna. Alexander's jacket has been decolourised with sadness and discombobulation and he exit in rage).
To be continued next week Wednesday.
You can read full book here

https://okadabooks.com/search?term=Devils+In+Disguise+
Re: Devils In Disguise (play) by alleazardous(m): 11:36am On Dec 28, 2017
Nice opening
Re: Devils In Disguise (play) by Roc10(m): 10:31pm On Dec 28, 2017
alleazardous:
Nice opening
Yea. Thanks for reading. You can read the full book with the link posted above.

1 Like

Re: Devils In Disguise (play) by Roc10(m): 10:48am On Jan 02, 2018
Good morning Nairalanders. Story continues.

ACT TWO SCENE ONE

The stock of books of different kinds in the library are immensely gargantuan, eight shelved books are situated at each corner with title and references on them. They were so clean as no speck of dust was found on them, the tables, chairs or the sparkling floors. The small sash windows were embellished with white flowered curtains hanging on them. A man wearing a dark grey suit in his early sixties sits on one of the rocking chairs. He is wearing an oval glasses and on top of his table is a ledger book and a newspaper, the former which he is checking upon.His hair is shaved, has a stubble jaw and a clean face devoid of blemishes. Still has a young face and could still be every woman's dream lover of sterling entity, fabled for casting a crestfallen, like one in despondent. He still has alluring qualities, urbane and suave. Few minutes later, a woman with braided hair, still very much in beauteous and suave enters the library room, with austerely looking face and inane like someone in vacuity, bearing a heavy load on her head, rambling some words to herself as she closes the ajar door behind her surreptitiously).
{LYPI}: I know you would be here. I can never imagine you staying outside this library for it's your comfort zone, your best place of refuge long before you graced the earth crust. Your indulgence and dedication to keeping the numbers of your company's account increasing has made you inept to my cadre of feelings, emotions and happiness. You have reduced me to a concubine even when I have been married for thirty years to you.
{JACOB}: I don't share in your mediocrity woman. I have done everything a good husband could do to keep a priceless woman like you happy yet, what I get compensated of your vituperations and your tiresome talkativeness; cantankerous nature.
{LYPI}: Don't be on both the defense and on the attack. You know quite well we have been living a life of lies, projecting our lives to people as good, an emblem of emulation when we are not what they think.
{JACOB}: Then it isn't my fault we are falling apart.
{LYPI}: Then who's fault? Tell me, when was the last time we slept close to each other, had a peaceful conversion as a couple, the last time you left a note on the pillow whenever you are leaving early for work? All you do is doing business deals nineteen hours out of twenty four, and then you come back late in the night and tell me you are tired and jump out of your bed few hours later, disappearing like the thick cloud of smoke in the air. And you tell me it isn't your fault.I have a strong convictions that you see some other girls.
{JACOB}saddisdained) Do you know the consequences of your intolerable prove less accusations? Of course you don't and I wont take an exception that sordid statement you uttered. Am a quintessence of constancy, a perfect emblem of a good husband.
{LYPI}sadPacing about) A perfect emblem of an irate partner who doesn't care for anything other than moving up the ladder of riches and wealth, an emblem of colossal marriage failure. Marrying you was the greatest mistake of my entirety.
{JACOB}: But you have and gave me a wonderful son, Alexander that is just like his father. You can also say your father made the biggest mistake by marrying your mother and you being the product a mistake, a fatal one and I too committed a blunder by marrying a mistake.
{LYPI}: Don't drag my parents into your abysmal situation.
{JACOB}: Oh, abysmal, abysmal.You are into the abysmal situation yourself.Equally, you are also abysmal.
{LYPI}: (Petrified) You are despicable. You have grown an enemity in me and created one among us. You have grown an ambivalence in me, sprouting from my subconscious, yet my inexplicable feeling of love is stronger than hatred and yet, the latter impedes the former to a great extent. You are the cause of my misfortunes. Am like the deserted fellow left all alone in obscurity, in an enclosure crying out to everyone for aid but falling on deaf walls even though they have ears but can't comprehend.(she begins to weep, her tears forming a flowing river on the floor. Jacob is unmoved by her pitiable display, springs to his feet and grasping a leather brief case by his right, he puts the ledger book in it, locking it up with some codes.He proceeds to the unlocked door, halting and turning back to face the sorrowful woman).
{JACOB}: Lest I forget the most paramount, we will be at the Korsakoff's tomorrow morning with our son to resolve some issues.(Exits Jacob. Tears continues to emanate from her eyes until it came no more. The knob of the door makes a cracking sound, a male servant comes in tiptoeing, she reacts quickly to the unusual movement behind her.He is of a huge statue, cropped brown hair, wide face with a round grey eyes, straight nose on it and small lips.He has a limp on his right leg and his emergence is a surprise to the bellowed woman).
{THE MAN}: I can see your husband has left you in misery once again.
{LYPI}: (Wiping off her tears) What are you doing here? This is his library and he can get in here anytime and get us nabbed. I didn't send for you moreover.
{THE MAN}: Never mind, I overheard him telling the gate's guard wouldn't be coming back today.He's gone for a meeting outside the state.That leaves the night pleasurable for us.(He stretches to stroke her hair but was knocked off). You have been avoiding me of late and am beginning to question your feelings about me.
{LYPI}: My husband has gotten much worse than I ever imagined. I thought I could change him by charging towards him with my complaints. He walked out on me without a word of repentance or guilt.
{THE MAN}: He doesn't deserve to be with a woman so elegant and wonderful as you are. He doesnt know the worth of what he has until he looses it.Perhaps, his disadvantage is to my advantage.
{LYPI}: I want to put my marriage on the right path again, want to set things the right way.
{THE MAN}: (Contemptuously looking) And what does that suppose to convey?
{LYPI}: We are ending this clandestine relationship right now.
{THE MAN}sadPetrified) But you can't.Not after these months we have indulged in this. You were not happy in your marriage and not until now so why furthering the negative consequences, the disaster it has on you, the insidious that has diminished the effervescent glow in you, swindled your happiness and implanted grief in you (holding her hands tightly) let's go to a far away place, where we can be together, inseparable, where you can run away from the shadow of your predicaments.
{LYPI}: (Withholding her hands) No, Its over between us. Am done for.( Stands on her feet to leave).
{THE MAN}sadSmiling) Ok, I will let you go but I have to tell your husband what transpired between us and as you know, I don't get to loose anything and you will be a society scandal for that would provoke a hilarious laughte among your class and degrade your much cherished reputation.
{LYPI}: You will do no such callous act.I was desperate and needed a companion.
{THE MAN}: Oh, callous it is but the negligence of my feelings, not paramount and insignificant to you.
{LYPI}: You have no substantial evidence to support your claims.
{THE MAN}: On the contrary, I do have them. You remember those letters you wrote me, you said I should dispose them after reading but I didn't. I hid them beneath my clothes in my box.I bet your husband won't be so coy and blind that he wouldn't recognise the writing of his infidel wife exquisitely, that you have your lover under his roof.And what will people make jest of,they will say you have no shame that you are bedding a servant.
{LYPI}sadinfuriated) Are you trying to blackmail me. Having the pretense all this while of loving me in order to lure me into your trap?
{THE MAN}: Call it whatever you want.It is more or less a negotiation and conceeding to the indelible facts that you cannot forge ahead abandoning me in ruins like a tattered rag.
{LYPI}sadGathering her composure) What do you want me to do?
{THE MAN}: If you want out, then you get me compensated with all your jewelry and gold at your disposal. That is all I want.
{LYPI}:That is an absurd demand.I can't grant your wish.
{THE MAN}: Oh yes, it isn't as absurd as your husband discovering your indulgence in this forbidden act.It would be an awesome sight to see you grasping his feet and fuming at your shameful act.You decided to hit my love for you against the rocks and must pay for the consequences.
{LYPI}:You are a devil in uttermost disguise.
{THE MAN}:The devil, the devil. Yes, am the devil and you want to redeem your lost soul you sold me and become a repentant.The devil gives nothing for free and will never and so am I.
A knock is heard on the door twice, she hides the man in the curtains behind the shelf drawer.She rushes and opens the door, her husband pushes her aside as he enters in rampage).
{LYPI}:What is the matter? What are you looking for in such a rage?
{JACOB}: I don't have to take a certain permission to be allowed entrance into my home. Besides, am looking for my credit cards. I must have misplaced them in one of the shelves. (He hurried to the shelve behind the curtains but she hinders him from going further).
{LYPI}: Why don't you check the table drawer while I check the shelve drawer. I will be much more quicker in finding it.
{JACOB}: (Astonished by her kind gesture) Ok, find it.
Few seconds later,she hands over three credit cards to him.
{JACOB}sadFull of appreciation) Thank you. (Suspicious) Why the sudden change of attitude? Moments ago, you were acting cold, now you are acting like an angel.I can sense that you are hiding something from me.
{LYPI}:You know I hide nothing from you.I have just come to a conclusion that we need not to be like this anymore, I need this marriage to work for the better and that I am the key to our happiness.
{JACOB}sadSmiling) Am happy to hear those words coming from you. Realising this truth, your mistakes and failures makes you heroic. I promise to get back home on time to finish this discussion. {He kisses her before departing for the door. The sound of a heavy moving object in the shelve drawer disrupts him,turning to see what it is).
{JACOB}: What is that sound?
{LYPI}:Oh! Its nothing serious. Probably, I forgot to arrange the books and replace them.I will go take care of it.
He finally departs.The man creeps from behind the curtains, holding some misplaced books in his hands. He carefully replaces them in the shelf).
{THE MAN}:That was very close. I made the noise on purpose.
{LYPI}:Enough of your schemes, it is settled.I will give what you want but promise me you wouldn't say anything.
{THE MAN}: I promise no words will spill out of my squalid lips. (They both exit with the man full of laughter on his lips while Lypi wrapped herself in the cloud). To be continued on Thursday next tomorrow.
Read full book here
https://okadabooks.com/search?term=Devils+In+Disguise+
Re: Devils In Disguise (play) by rayvelez(m): 11:27am On Jan 03, 2018
Nice story... Devil in disguise indeed, Following
Re: Devils In Disguise (play) by Roc10(m): 9:52pm On Jan 03, 2018
rayvelez:
Nice story... Devil in disguise indeed, Following
Really it is. Thanks for reading. Anticipate the ending soon or read full book with the link posted above . I see you rayvelez

(1) (Reply)

Married But No Sex - Episode 2 / Writers Looking For Work / IN LOVE WITH A MAFIA ❧❧❧

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.